The completely gratuitous complaint thread

Comments

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,164

my dad needs cash.  So he wants to write me a check, then have me deposit into my account and then with draw the money from my ATM.  but he already has a debit card??  why take the extra steps??

Sounds like a teaching opportunity to me.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

my dad needs cash.  So he wants to write me a check, then have me deposit into my account and then with draw the money from my ATM.  but he already has a debit card??  why take the extra steps??

Your dad isn't a Nigerian prince, is he?

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,086

Your dad isn't a Nigerian prince, is he?

laugh  laugh  laugh  laugh  laugh  

Dana

edited July 2020

Non-complaint:  Wheee... I bit the bullet.  I've ordered a new CPU chip for my old HP desktop machine.  The old chip is an Intel i5-2390T dual-core.  I looked up the HP specifications for my motherboard and it indicates a short list of processors that are compatible.  One of them is an Intel i5-2500S which is a quad-core. Cool! cool  I couldn't find a brand new one for less than $150, but I did find an Amazon guaranteed refurbished one for $55.smiley  So, I'm going to take the risk. 

I figured as long as I'm going to be tearing the machine apart anyway, it's an opportunity to finally get a quad-core into this ancient machine.  I found an i7 that would have worked.  New it was over $200, but even refurbished it was $100.indecision  A little more than I wanted to risk on a a 10 year old machine.  After replacing the CPU chip and its cooler/fan assembly, the only original guts of this machine will be the motherboard, the 8GB RAM and the ATI graphics card.  But even the graphics card is long in the tooth and causes BSODs now and then.surprise

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • RezcaRezca Posts: 3,391

Non-Complaint:  Heard back from a friend I hadn't seen in like a year today.  They all but vanished off the internet without warning, so I was very relieved to hear they're still around.

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,674
    Rezca said:

Non-Complaint:  Heard back from a friend I hadn't seen in like a year today.  They all but vanished off the internet without warning, so I was very relieved to hear they're still around.

It takes around a year to create a replicant of somebody, coincidence?

Isn't Mystiarra scheduled for more eye checkup or surgery soon?  Haven't heard from that direction in a while.  Hope things are proceeding.indecision

• SummerhorseSummerhorse Posts: 684
    Mystiarra said:

If you're worried, do your due diligence and get trusted information from medical professionals, not the internet and not forum buddies. *NOT FROM GROCERY STORE EMPLOYEES * Seek advice from professionals.  Not trusting the people who can actually help you is not productive.   Stop panicing.  Just stop it!  Decide to live each day as well as you can.

OMG, I'm going to print this out and wear it on a T shirt!

I work in a health food grocery store, in the vitamins and supplements department... and you just will not believe how many people come in every single day saying they are going to stop taking their meds, or don't trust their DR...so what herbs and viatamins will I reccomend to cure them!

• BandoriFanBandoriFan Posts: 364
    edited July 2020

So I bought this really amazing dress that I wanted ever since it came out but was still new so I had to prioritize other things and oh my gosh is it really hard to dForce! I read the thread and made a little progress and set the gravity to 2 and everything but sometimes the skirt part still attaches to her torso and the skirt always ends up behind her instead of her sitting on it and it draping enough to stay appropriately covered 

It's this dress. I'm using Stepanida with a few slight morph adjustments, Amira's skin, and Lyra's eyes. And yes I already fixed the eye pose and glossy lips ha ha 

And I like this coffeeshop but rendering indoors takes so long and is very grainy so I'll look up how to get the lighting right 

Edit: I'm making some progress I just had to change the initial pose under the timeline setting and turn arms and hands off under visible in simulation 

The skirt still isn't falling tho but at least she's sitting on her skirt. I applied a static dforce modifier on the chair and turned everything but the seat off under visible to simulation and I'm testing it now 

Stepanida 2 resized.png
    1000 x 1300 - 3M
    Post edited by BandoriFan on
    edited July 2020

Non-complaint:  Wheee... I found my newly purchased CPU fan/cooler assembly that I'd specifically bought to fix my old computer.  The new fan had gotten "lost" in one of my wall of small shipping boxes for  computer parts.  Surprisingly I finally found it in a box labeled "Misc. Computer Parts."  who would'a thunk it?  I obviously put it in that box only a week or so ago.  Senility is creaping up quickly.frown

Complaint:  The process of finding my new fan entailed me finally getting my hands dirty and reorganizing my wall of parts boxes.  I'm about half way through.  I've been through about 10 boxes and finally thrown away ancient, ancient parts that I will never use and I don't have the patience to wait until I find someone interested in a USB1.1 hub or a CardBus ethernet adapter for a Win95 laptop.  Or half a dozen IDE cards, or old AGP video cards.  or..., or... much other ancient stuff.  Trashed it.yes  In this process I've freed up about two cubic feet of space on my wall by repacking some of the boxes, and many of them are much lighter.  Now, if I could just easily tell which one of my hundred USB cables are not CAT5 rated I'd get rid of them too.  Happily, I also found an old design but essentially new, barely unboxed MSI GeForce N730 graphics card to replace my existing really ancient ATI graphics card that tends to BSOD now and then.  I tried the N730 once before but no cigar.frown  This time I'll be a little more deliberate to tease out the settings necessary to make it work.enlightened

Oh, and in the process of sorting my boxes, I found a small bag of my old licenses and ID cards.  Found a PADI diving certificate photo of a 29 year old me from 1977, back in my SCUBA days, back when I weighed 160 pounds, 70 pounds ago.frown

LG_at_29.jpg
    300 x 416 - 9K
  • doubledeviantdoubledeviant Posts: 1,022
    edited July 2020
    This is a general complaint thread, right?

Some people... are dumb.

I cleaned someone's PC for them tonight - 50,000 junk files. Defragged the drive. PC runs noticeably better. All good, right?

Wrong. Just got a panicked call about their email, Facebook, and eBay having been "deleted"...

I explained that those things are not actually on their computer - "You could delete your entire hard drive, and your email, Facebook, etc would be just fine - they're stored on those companies' web servers. You're just signed out of them is all."

The response: "I keep putting ******** in the boxes but it won't take it."

Me: "...that's your password. Are you putting in your username first?"

Response: "That is my username. It won't take it. It's been deleted."

Me: "No, dude, that's your password. Sometimes your username is just your email. It's not even possible for your accounts to have been deleted from cleaning up the hard drive."

Response: "It's not working."

Me: *sigh* "I'll swing by tomorrow and see if I can help you get signed in."

I'd say it's old people, but I know too many tech-savvy older folks to think that's the problem.
    Post edited by doubledeviant on
    edited July 2020

Being a tech-savvy older folk, who regularly encounters contemporaries who are not.  I feel your pain.  Some people are not puzzle solvers or big picture graspers.indecision  However, lack of puzzle solving skills or inability to see beyond one's own nose is not exclusive to the ancient ones though.sad

For a few years while I was semi-retired I scratched out a very meager living fixing PCs for people.  The amount of ignorance in the world is astounding.  I finally gave up and started prying myself out of the business when I blew up at a customer because he would call me and complain about not being able to login in and expect me to do a 20 minute drive for a housecall to "fix" his problem.   after about the 4th time I told him over the phone that "I was not going to take an hour out of my day to come out there just because he forgot how to enter his password again."  Trying to explain any operations to him over the phone were useless.  And yeah, the money would have been nice, but there's just so much stupidity that I can take.

I'm sure helpdesk people have stories that would curl your hair.surprise

edited July 2020

Non-complaint:  While scanning my old computer itemizing things that needed to be preserved before I tear it apart and rebuild the OS from scratch as well as part of the hardware. I had the local radio streaming through my headphones.  Then I was mesmerized again by yet another amazing piece by Nikolai Andreivich Rimsky-Korsakov [ Николай Андреевич Римский-Корсаков ] that I had forgotten about.  "The Three Wonders" from the introduction to act 4 of his opera "The Tale of Tsar Saltan".  The introduction is seven and a half minutes of Exciting, mysterious, grand and majestic mental image painting. yes 

Rimsky-Korsakov:  "The Three Wonders"  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmvT1M46N0E

The famous music from "Tsar Saltan" also incudes "The Flight of the Bumblebee" although it was not part of the published suite but did close act 3.

"The Tale of Tsar Saltan" Suite (including the full instrumental version of "Flight of the Bumblebee" at 13:30) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7uo0am9I9s

So much wonderful music from Rimsky-Korsakov.heart

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,674
    edited July 2020

I learned long ago when cleaning up someone's computer, to export their firefox profile to a thumbdrive first, then restore that last. That way all the usernames/passwords they stored are sure to be there lol. I am lazy though, when I *clean* someone's computer, what I am really doing is: Copy their personal files to thumbdrive,  taking a note of installed programs, seeing if any of them are malware and make a list. Completely wiping out their OS, reinstall their OS then update, reinstall their programs. Windows just rots after a while, and a clean install seems to fix a lot of the issues.

Mom was complaining to me about getting stupid popups about win7 being not supported anymore, I upgraded her machine to xubuntu. Much more zippy now.

Post edited by TheKD on
  • McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005

... Sometimes your username is just your email.

DISCLAIMER: The following is not a indictment of the above comment nor should it in any way be construed as a hostile response to the combination of squiggly lines that make up the post from which that sentence was harvested, it is merely a collection of different squiggly lines representing a bunch of thoughts invoked as a result of exposing my eyeballs to that particular sequence of squiggly lines. I harbor no ill will towards the aforementioned squiggly line author and am merely sharing my views and thoughts which are mostly a result various head injuries and otherworldly brain parasites. To be clear, this isn't even a response, merely my thoughts on a similar subject... Also... Please do not proceed to read any further if you cannot endure squiggly line collections that exceed the Twitter limit or if you embrace TLDR culture. Also this essay may contain not too cleverly disguised salty language in the form of deliberate misspelling, so if you are offended by misspelling or salty thoughts, please stop here... The author of this collection of squiggly lines also wishes to express to readers this is not in any way meant to be mean or single anyone out, pick on anyone or incite a revolution of any sort. I'm done with revolutions, people are lazy and easily distracted and things never go the way I intended them anyway.  So- don't read this if you have literally ANYTHING better to do, it's a colossal waste of time to read this and you'll regret it in the end... maybe not now, maybe not tomorrow, but one day.
    You've been warned...

You may proceed.

I'm not one to defend stupid people, but the "your username is sometimes your email" an issue that falls on the head of the dipshnit who designed the UI... If 90% of the websites ask you to create/enter an Email, Username and Password, where each has a stand-alone purpose and for some unknown reason, the clown creating the gateway page decides username and email are the same, that's their choice to be wonderfully different. 
    The first time I came across that crap was years ago, and I know thats a thing now, but when I'd go to use a site like that and I couldn't log in I'd assume the registration process went bad and I'd try and make a new account and get that shnitty notice "you already have an account"... I'd assume now the website sucked and I'd just say "Eff your stupid useless site" and buy stuff elsewhere...

Then one day I came across a site that had a little disclaimer in red "Your Username And Your Email May Be The Same"...  I was like "What the flippie-fluck?..." So I went back to a couple of websites that I couldn't log onto and lo and behold, yes my username is my email... BUT here's the kicker... no notification anywhere that my username and email are possibly the same...

They had made me create a username AND enter my email... they even went so far as to tell me I need to enter X many characters for my username and reject it if someone else was using that same name... causing me to make multiple attempts at clever farm animal based usernames... the implication in this effort is that there is a point and a use for that username. 

I think it's majorly stupid to do that, but whatever, as long as you INFORM people somehow that that's what you do... then it's on them if they don't want to use their eyeballs to read stuff... 

So now that I could access my accounts, I deleted them because if you can't be bothered to note a simple detail that's a major impediment to using your stupid crappy website, you can kiss my hairy asp.

Life is short and I don't need puzzles that force me to figure out the inner workings of someone else's complex and unique system of reasoning... If everyone makes faucets that the knobs turn clockwise to open, but you make a faucet that turns counterclockwise and requires pressing the knob down while doing that to make the water flow (I encountered that in hotel once)... then fluck you, this isn't Tomb Raider or Myst, and that's not opening a secret vault of gold and gems... washing my hands doesn't need to be an dogdamn adventure. 
    I make things and I get that sometimes making things isn't straight forward and one has to compromise, but that's why we have these squiggly lines that represent words and thoughts... so like a kindergarten teacher would say- "use your dogdamn words"... the fine line between being an asphole and the other guy being the asphole is the words... if you place a sign that says "Don't step inside the yellow lines" in big bold red letters and place it where everyone can see, you are not the asphole... the guy who steps over the barrier and stands directly in the middle of the yellow lines and gets crushed by the giant steel press is the asphole... but if you don't even bother to mark the yellow lines or make the sign, you are the asphole.

Its really that simple.

I'm the sign guy... I'll place the sticker that says "HOT-DON'T TOUCH!"  or "DANGER! Elytron Perpetuator Beam In Use Do NOT Place Head or Appendages Inside The Shaftway When Red Light Is On!"...  Because life is just easier that way... You don't need to get incinerated and I don't need to sweep up your glowing ashes... That took two seconds to do and everyone is happier, even if they are too stupid to know it.

The difference between aspholedom and everyone remaining happy is a bunch of squiggly lines.

By the way... No, I'm not done yet... 
    You should probably stop reading this though... it's long and I don't think it's going anywhere because I'm pretty sure I don't have a point and I'm just rambling now...

Stop now before it's too late!

Sometimes it's the squiggly lines, others it's just plain old halfassing...

It's a pet peeve of mine... (he's a rescue peeve I got at a peeve shelter)... I hate situations where through bureaucracy, laziness or just plain malice there exists a situation a simple warning or sign can circumvent...

Think of how different The Lord of the Rings would have been if someone had placed a sign on that well in Moria that said "WARNING! Balrog- Do Not Drop Helmets or Skulls Into Well"... (I'm not even going to address the lack of friggin' handrails in that place... friggin' OSHA would have a field day in that place... in middle earth in general)... or the Star Wars saga if someone had put up a sign on Mustafar that said "DANGER! LAVA! NO JUMPING ON FLOATING DEBRIS! Lava is hot. Do not play on or around lava!"... Anikin would never have needed that whole Darth Vader getup... maybe he'd have lost his legs, but he wouldn't have fallen into the lava which apparently ruined his whole day and made him much angrier... he'd still have been an asphole, but a lot less scary looking... and because of that, his stupid grandson Kylo Ren wouldn't have been so obsessed with masks... Star Wars would have been totally different and in my opinion much more believable... Everyday life is like that.

During this pandemic which I like to refer to as the "Stupid Times", I'm constantly coming across situations where the simple inclusion of accurate warning literature would make a HUGE difference... 

You go to check out in a store you don't normally shop at and the floor has a randomly oriented collection of red, yellow and orange bits of tape accompanied by random arrows snaking off to the dairy section and there are twelve different queues pointing in six different non-geographically relevant directions... How flucking hard is it to take a monkeychucking sharpie and a sheet of ordinary paper and write "Checkout line starts inside the dairy case... Customer service line begins by the watermelon bin on loading dock. Thank you."

No... instead, people who've figured out this puzzle and have endured it get really pissy with everyone who stands in the wrong place, and the whole atmosphere is like the crowd outside the Bastille in Paris on July 14, 1789... you just know somewhere in that store is a Madame Defarge just waiting for her moment to get someone beheaded and lack of signage just makes that moment inevitable. There is a grocery store that is exactly like that near me, it's like the dogdamn French Revolution every time I go in there because NOBODY knows what's going on... how many packages of chicken can I buy? Is there a limit on canned armadillo hearts? Is the limit on milk separate from cheese? Why is there a tape arrow on that wall pointing at the ceiling? 
    Who the fluck knows, because apparently sharpies and paper haven't been invented yet and now everyone in that store wants revenge on any living thing within reach...

But... there is a different store that has placed whiteboards on stands all around the store with carefully thought out instructions explaining how things are different (Example: Line for customer service forms here) and if anything changes, it's all written in erasable marker, so it can be updated... they even pull up the colored tape on the floor when things change so there isn't a mix of fifty two different colors of random tape... The upside to that is it's a normal store, not a city under siege on the eve of a revolution during the zombie apocalypse.

Crazy.

You can't just put up a random sign you made in your sleep... bad signs are useless. Websites do stuff like this all the time... one of the worst is eliminating a feature but leaving up the button and having instructions that tell you something important will happen if you click the button, only now now the button is just a picture of a button and you may as well be clicking on the eyeball of their cartoon rat logo. The actual trigger for the action is a grey triangle one shade darker than the white background, inconspicuously placed somewhere random on the screen that only if you are really, really, really truly committed to pursuing your innermost fantasies about getting a result from that site and are willing to mouse over every flucking object, symbol, image and character on the dogdamn screen, only then will you be rewarded with the secret drop down menu that many brave souls gave their lives to find.

Yeah.

One of my favorite bad sign examples was one I will hold onto to my dying day.... Fluck, I'll carry that shnit to the grave and beyond... I'll be complaining to Satan about that shnit... Back in the 80s the NYC DMV had these massive old offices in these Gotham City type of buildings in lower Manhattan, and they were all unairconditioned, overcrowded hells... no signs made sense, two contradictory signs would be next to each other... some signs were literally from the 1930s or 40s and apparently since screwdrivers hadn't been invented in DMVland yet, nobody was going to remove them ever, they'd just place more random signs next to each other like Hogwarts when Dolores Umbridge took over... you'd get on a line for registration renewal and get to the clerk and they'd be like "Asphole, this line is horse trailer inspection forms, didn't you read the sign in the third floor bathroom, inside the stall with the taped up door... I ain't got time no for this shnit... NEXT!"... then you'd go down to the third floor bathroom to see what else you missed and find the door covered in crime scene tape with a janitor sleeping on a bench nearby who'd wake up and say "Ooh... no... you don't want to go in there my friend... "

The first time I went to the DMV I spent an hour on a line to get to the clerk who rudely told me one of the two forms of ID I'd brought wasn't adequate... she pointed to a sign which I had already read (the exact same words included on the forms which I brought) and then she NEXTed me... 

(Note to time travelers- If you get nexted at any 1980s NYC queue, just move on, it's not worth the knife fight with the other miscreants waiting on the line or getting bitten by the surly clerk... Nexting was unrevokable and absolute, once the clerk said "NEXT!" it was game over dude)

... That sign she pointed to was a list... a very long list of things you couldn't use as identification... like a bus pass, library card, a frequent shopper card, a pumpkin... okay... of course I get that I can't use large seasonal gourds as ID... but what can I use?  Not a word, not one about the five or six things that actually passed as ID... just a long list of crap nobody would think would would ever be acceptable as ID... and the thing I brought, which was a student ID wasn't acceptable, but also wasn't on the list.

I'm sure there were millions of other things not acceptable as ID... but why waste time making a long list instead of a short list of the few things that that were?

Thats what people do...

Actually in that case it was probably because the DMV was the ultimate embodiment of nefarious and malevolent bureaucracy, but also because some dipshnit got put in charge of making a sign and they just copied the pointless wording on the form that lacked any relevant information, because first and foremost they wanted to remain a asphole for the remainder of their existence and were quite comfortable being so.

People do shnitty jobs and create puzzles for other people to solve and other people who are confronted by the puzzles either get lucky and happen to completely luck out and press the right button the first time, stand in the right spot or have a watermelon with them and shnit works out right the first time, or they don't have a watermelon and they bring all sorts of other ID with them dozens of times until they achieve the perfect undisclosed combination and they are granted access or fulfillment... but then either they don't realize they got lucky or they are so confident in their genius they get pissed of with other people going through the same thing who bring watermelons with them when clearly they should have automatically assumed dried lentils where the secret ID format...

So many people do halfassed shnitty jobs, we all get confronted by so many unnecessary stupid puzzles every day that make every aspect of life an unnecessary slog through leech infested mud, that by the time we are done, we lose track of what was a puzzle and what was just mildly inconvenient and we forget we were once pissed off by someone's unnecessary information trap and we think that stupid is normal, that stupid is the acceptable way... we just move on and when some other shmuck encounters this abomination, we have so moved on, so forgotten our pain, we actually get pissed off at the poor dope because they don't get it on the first or forty seventh time.

Not me... I hold on to my resentment over these things... I nurture that anger... I feed it yummy treats, take it for long walks in the park and play frisbee with it.  But when my anger grows up big and strong, with sharp teeth and long pointy horns to skewer its foes with... I don't randomly unleash it on others... I say to my anger "Who's a good boy?... Who wants the frisbee!?... Get the frisbee!" And while my stupid anger is looking for that frisbee which I didn't even throw because I'm an asphole like that and like to mess with him, I instead remember we all fluck up sometimes and as long as you do your part, make your signs, take a moment to make sure you don't do to other people what pissed you off once, you are making that slog through the mud a tiny bit easier, even if it's just one leech at a time.

It's not altruism or niceness... I'm just being an asphole, but a different kind of asphole... a self satisfied asphole who likes to make fun of the bullshnit of everyday life and present it in a long confusing series of squiggly lines that may or may not make people smile or think about stuff if they decide they literally have nothing better to do than to point their eyeballs at those squiggly lines for a ridiculously long period of time.

See... I told you you shouldn't read this.

If you do find a point in any of that please me know because I forgot already... email me at www.Idonthaveawebsitethisisafakeadress.com

Or just write a note and put it in a bottle and flush it down the toilet... I'm sure it will make to an ocean eventually and I'll probably find it on the beach at some point.

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,006

Here's a kitty.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,112

It's almost noon PST, and I've been sweating basically since I got to work at 0600 because it is Hell°.

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,086

@McGyver

Loved that rant so much, I saved it to a Word document!

Dana

Tjohn said:

Here's a kitty.

Kiiiiiiiiiiiiiitty.... cutie kitty.

DanaTA said:

@McGyver

Loved that rant so much, I saved it to a Word document!

Dana

And it didn't crash your computer?… I'd unplug it for a while... it's not recommended to save stuff I write... it's bad for computers and devices and it puts you on certain "lists"... including that one Santa writes...

Jolly old elf my asp.

Gordig said:

It's almost noon PST, and I've been sweating basically since I got to work at 0600 because it is Hell°.

Yes... here too... I hate it when you can feel the air... and it gives you abrasions.

its like 2000% humidity right now.

McGyver said:

... Sometimes your username is just your email.

DISCLAIMER: The following is not a indictment of the above comment nor should it in any way be construed as a hostile response to the combination of squiggly lines that make up the post from which that sentence was harvested, it is merely a collection of different squiggly lines representing a bunch of thoughts invoked as a result of exposing my eyeballs to that particular sequence of squiggly lines. I harbor no ill will towards the aforementioned squiggly line author and am merely sharing my views and thoughts which are mostly a result various head injuries and otherworldly brain parasites. To be clear, this isn't even a response, merely my thoughts on a similar subject... Also... Please do not proceed to read any further if you cannot endure squiggly line collections that exceed the Twitter limit or if you embrace TLDR culture. Also this essay may contain not too cleverly disguised salty language in the form of deliberate misspelling, so if you are offended by misspelling or salty thoughts, please stop here... The author of this collection of squiggly lines also wishes to express to readers this is not in any way meant to be mean or single anyone out, pick on anyone or incite a revolution of any sort. I'm done with revolutions, people are lazy and easily distracted and things never go the way I intended them anyway.  So- don't read this if you have literally ANYTHING better to do, it's a colossal waste of time to read this and you'll regret it in the end... maybe not now, maybe not tomorrow, but one day.
    You've been warned...

You may proceed.

I'm not one to defend stupid people, but the "your username is sometimes your email" an issue that falls on the head of the dipshnit who designed the UI... If 90% of the websites ask you to create/enter an Email, Username and Password, where each has a stand-alone purpose and for some unknown reason, the clown creating the gateway page decides username and email are the same, that's their choice to be wonderfully different. 
    The first time I came across that crap was years ago, and I know thats a thing now, but when I'd go to use a site like that and I couldn't log in I'd assume the registration process went bad and I'd try and make a new account and get that shnitty notice "you already have an account"... I'd assume now the website sucked and I'd just say "Eff your stupid useless site" and buy stuff elsewhere...

Then one day I came across a site that had a little disclaimer in red "Your Username And Your Email May Be The Same"...  I was like "What the flippie-fluck?..." So I went back to a couple of websites that I couldn't log onto and lo and behold, yes my username is my email... BUT here's the kicker... no notification anywhere that my username and email are possibly the same...

They had made me create a username AND enter my email... they even went so far as to tell me I need to enter X many characters for my username and reject it if someone else was using that same name... causing me to make multiple attempts at clever farm animal based usernames... the implication in this effort is that there is a point and a use for that username. 

I think it's majorly stupid to do that, but whatever, as long as you INFORM people somehow that that's what you do... then it's on them if they don't want to use their eyeballs to read stuff... 

So now that I could access my accounts, I deleted them because if you can't be bothered to note a simple detail that's a major impediment to using your stupid crappy website, you can kiss my hairy asp.

Life is short and I don't need puzzles that force me to figure out the inner workings of someone else's complex and unique system of reasoning... If everyone makes faucets that the knobs turn clockwise to open, but you make a faucet that turns counterclockwise and requires pressing the knob down while doing that to make the water flow (I encountered that in hotel once)... then fluck you, this isn't Tomb Raider or Myst, and that's not opening a secret vault of gold and gems... washing my hands doesn't need to be an dogdamn adventure. 
    I make things and I get that sometimes making things isn't straight forward and one has to compromise, but that's why we have these squiggly lines that represent words and thoughts... so like a kindergarten teacher would say- "use your dogdamn words"... the fine line between being an asphole and the other guy being the asphole is the words... if you place a sign that says "Don't step inside the yellow lines" in big bold red letters and place it where everyone can see, you are not the asphole... the guy who steps over the barrier and stands directly in the middle of the yellow lines and gets crushed by the giant steel press is the asphole... but if you don't even bother to mark the yellow lines or make the sign, you are the asphole.

Its really that simple.

I'm the sign guy... I'll place the sticker that says "HOT-DON'T TOUCH!"  or "DANGER! Elytron Perpetuator Beam In Use Do NOT Place Head or Appendages Inside The Shaftway When Red Light Is On!"...  Because life is just easier that way... You don't need to get incinerated and I don't need to sweep up your glowing ashes... That took two seconds to do and everyone is happier, even if they are too stupid to know it.

The difference between aspholedom and everyone remaining happy is a bunch of squiggly lines.

By the way... No, I'm not done yet... 
    You should probably stop reading this though... it's long and I don't think it's going anywhere because I'm pretty sure I don't have a point and I'm just rambling now...

Stop now before it's too late!

Sometimes it's the squiggly lines, others it's just plain old halfassing...

It's a pet peeve of mine... (he's a rescue peeve I got at a peeve shelter)... I hate situations where through bureaucracy, laziness or just plain malice there exists a situation a simple warning or sign can circumvent...

Think of how different The Lord of the Rings would have been if someone had placed a sign on that well in Moria that said "WARNING! Balrog- Do Not Drop Helmets or Skulls Into Well"... (I'm not even going to address the lack of friggin' handrails in that place... friggin' OSHA would have a field day in that place... in middle earth in general)... or the Star Wars saga if someone had put up a sign on Mustafar that said "DANGER! LAVA! NO JUMPING ON FLOATING DEBRIS! Lava is hot. Do not play on or around lava!"... Anikin would never have needed that whole Darth Vader getup... maybe he'd have lost his legs, but he wouldn't have fallen into the lava which apparently ruined his whole day and made him much angrier... he'd still have been an asphole, but a lot less scary looking... and because of that, his stupid grandson Kylo Ren wouldn't have been so obsessed with masks... Star Wars would have been totally different and in my opinion much more believable... Everyday life is like that.

During this pandemic which I like to refer to as the "Stupid Times", I'm constantly coming across situations where the simple inclusion of accurate warning literature would make a HUGE difference... 

You go to check out in a store you don't normally shop at and the floor has a randomly oriented collection of red, yellow and orange bits of tape accompanied by random arrows snaking off to the dairy section and there are twelve different queues pointing in six different non-geographically relevant directions... How flucking hard is it to take a monkeychucking sharpie and a sheet of ordinary paper and write "Checkout line starts inside the dairy case... Customer service line begins by the watermelon bin on loading dock. Thank you."

No... instead, people who've figured out this puzzle and have endured it get really pissy with everyone who stands in the wrong place, and the whole atmosphere is like the crowd outside the Bastille in Paris on July 14, 1789... you just know somewhere in that store is a Madame Defarge just waiting for her moment to get someone beheaded and lack of signage just makes that moment inevitable. There is a grocery store that is exactly like that near me, it's like the dogdamn French Revolution every time I go in there because NOBODY knows what's going on... how many packages of chicken can I buy? Is there a limit on canned armadillo hearts? Is the limit on milk separate from cheese? Why is there a tape arrow on that wall pointing at the ceiling? 
    Who the fluck knows, because apparently sharpies and paper haven't been invented yet and now everyone in that store wants revenge on any living thing within reach...

But... there is a different store that has placed whiteboards on stands all around the store with carefully thought out instructions explaining how things are different (Example: Line for customer service forms here) and if anything changes, it's all written in erasable marker, so it can be updated... they even pull up the colored tape on the floor when things change so there isn't a mix of fifty two different colors of random tape... The upside to that is it's a normal store, not a city under siege on the eve of a revolution during the zombie apocalypse.

Crazy.

You can't just put up a random sign you made in your sleep... bad signs are useless. Websites do stuff like this all the time... one of the worst is eliminating a feature but leaving up the button and having instructions that tell you something important will happen if you click the button, only now now the button is just a picture of a button and you may as well be clicking on the eyeball of their cartoon rat logo. The actual trigger for the action is a grey triangle one shade darker than the white background, inconspicuously placed somewhere random on the screen that only if you are really, really, really truly committed to pursuing your innermost fantasies about getting a result from that site and are willing to mouse over every flucking object, symbol, image and character on the dogdamn screen, only then will you be rewarded with the secret drop down menu that many brave souls gave their lives to find.

Yeah.

One of my favorite bad sign examples was one I will hold onto to my dying day.... Fluck, I'll carry that shnit to the grave and beyond... I'll be complaining to Satan about that shnit... Back in the 80s the NYC DMV had these massive old offices in these Gotham City type of buildings in lower Manhattan, and they were all unairconditioned, overcrowded hells... no signs made sense, two contradictory signs would be next to each other... some signs were literally from the 1930s or 40s and apparently since screwdrivers hadn't been invented in DMVland yet, nobody was going to remove them ever, they'd just place more random signs next to each other like Hogwarts when Dolores Umbridge took over... you'd get on a line for registration renewal and get to the clerk and they'd be like "Asphole, this line is horse trailer inspection forms, didn't you read the sign in the third floor bathroom, inside the stall with the taped up door... I ain't got time no for this shnit... NEXT!"... then you'd go down to the third floor bathroom to see what else you missed and find the door covered in crime scene tape with a janitor sleeping on a bench nearby who'd wake up and say "Ooh... no... you don't want to go in there my friend... "

The first time I went to the DMV I spent an hour on a line to get to the clerk who rudely told me one of the two forms of ID I'd brought wasn't adequate... she pointed to a sign which I had already read (the exact same words included on the forms which I brought) and then she NEXTed me... 

(Note to time travelers- If you get nexted at any 1980s NYC queue, just move on, it's not worth the knife fight with the other miscreants waiting on the line or getting bitten by the surly clerk... Nexting was unrevokable and absolute, once the clerk said "NEXT!" it was game over dude)

... That sign she pointed to was a list... a very long list of things you couldn't use as identification... like a bus pass, library card, a frequent shopper card, a pumpkin... okay... of course I get that I can't use large seasonal gourds as ID... but what can I use?  Not a word, not one about the five or six things that actually passed as ID... just a long list of crap nobody would think would would ever be acceptable as ID... and the thing I brought, which was a student ID wasn't acceptable, but also wasn't on the list.

I'm sure there were millions of other things not acceptable as ID... but why waste time making a long list instead of a short list of the few things that that were?

Thats what people do...

Actually in that case it was probably because the DMV was the ultimate embodiment of nefarious and malevolent bureaucracy, but also because some dipshnit got put in charge of making a sign and they just copied the pointless wording on the form that lacked any relevant information, because first and foremost they wanted to remain a asphole for the remainder of their existence and were quite comfortable being so.

People do shnitty jobs and create puzzles for other people to solve and other people who are confronted by the puzzles either get lucky and happen to completely luck out and press the right button the first time, stand in the right spot or have a watermelon with them and shnit works out right the first time, or they don't have a watermelon and they bring all sorts of other ID with them dozens of times until they achieve the perfect undisclosed combination and they are granted access or fulfillment... but then either they don't realize they got lucky or they are so confident in their genius they get pissed of with other people going through the same thing who bring watermelons with them when clearly they should have automatically assumed dried lentils where the secret ID format...

So many people do halfassed shnitty jobs, we all get confronted by so many unnecessary stupid puzzles every day that make every aspect of life an unnecessary slog through leech infested mud, that by the time we are done, we lose track of what was a puzzle and what was just mildly inconvenient and we forget we were once pissed off by someone's unnecessary information trap and we think that stupid is normal, that stupid is the acceptable way... we just move on and when some other shmuck encounters this abomination, we have so moved on, so forgotten our pain, we actually get pissed off at the poor dope because they don't get it on the first or forty seventh time.

Not me... I hold on to my resentment over these things... I nurture that anger... I feed it yummy treats, take it for long walks in the park and play frisbee with it.  But when my anger grows up big and strong, with sharp teeth and long pointy horns to skewer its foes with... I don't randomly unleash it on others... I say to my anger "Who's a good boy?... Who wants the frisbee!?... Get the frisbee!" And while my stupid anger is looking for that frisbee which I didn't even throw because I'm an asphole like that and like to mess with him, I instead remember we all fluck up sometimes and as long as you do your part, make your signs, take a moment to make sure you don't do to other people what pissed you off once, you are making that slog through the mud a tiny bit easier, even if it's just one leech at a time.

It's not altruism or niceness... I'm just being an asphole, but a different kind of asphole... a self satisfied asphole who likes to make fun of the bullshnit of everyday life and present it in a long confusing series of squiggly lines that may or may not make people smile or think about stuff if they decide they literally have nothing better to do than to point their eyeballs at those squiggly lines for a ridiculously long period of time.

See... I told you you shouldn't read this.

If you do find a point in any of that please me know because I forgot already... email me at www.Idonthaveawebsitethisisafakeadress.com

Or just write a note and put it in a bottle and flush it down the toilet... I'm sure it will make to an ocean eventually and I'll probably find it on the beach at some point.

My eyes!  My eyes!  What have you done to my eyes! crying  Evil devil

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

ft  UUN NEBBE  KIVE YIUS

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,724

Tjohn said:

Here's a kitty.

A thread without a cat is like a cat without a thread.

• doubledeviantdoubledeviant Posts: 1,022
    edited July 2020

Some people are not puzzle solvers or big picture graspers.

Ha - "not puzzle solvers" is a good way to put it. I'll be using that one. ;)

So the problem was that this person was putting in their email address incorrectly.

The mini-lecture delivered after helping them get signed into everything: "The one account that you absolutely need to remember is your email address and password - all of your other accounts are linked to it and can be recovered using your email if you forget your login credentials. Lose access to your email and you're pretty much screwed."

TheKD said:

I learned long ago when cleaning up someone's computer, to export their firefox profile to a thumbdrive first, then restore that last. That way all the usernames/passwords they stored are sure to be there lol. I am lazy though, when I *clean* someone's computer, what I am really doing is: Copy their personal files to thumbdrive,  taking a note of installed programs, seeing if any of them are malware and make a list. Completely wiping out their OS, reinstall their OS then update, reinstall their programs. Windows just rots after a while, and a clean install seems to fix a lot of the issues.

I left Chrome's stored passwords intact, but unfortunately only two logins were actually saved to the browser - the rest were being handled by the never-cleared cache of cookies and site data apparently. :|

And you're right about Windows rotting over time. I used to reinstall a couple times a year to avoid it, but not as much these days (...I'm lazy). You'd think Windows would have some basic self-cleaning routines - deleting temporary internet files that haven't been accessed in the past year for example.
    Tjohn said:

Here's a kitty.

I thought that was a render at first... but Daz cats don't look that good, do they? ;)
    Post edited by doubledeviant on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited July 2020

Tjohn said:

Here's a kitty.

I thought that was a render at first... but Daz cats don't look that good, do they? ;)

That kitty doesn't look good.    Looks like the epitome of evil in the making,   the   "What can I do next"  look

Post edited by Chohole on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited July 2020

Complaint (that I rarely have to think about but was just reminded of):

Is it just me, or does anyone else think the terms "List view" and "Tree view" for the Content Library are backwards?  Yeah, the "List view" branches horizontally rather than vertically, but it branches.  I think of a list as something you add more items to at the bottom, which is what the "Tree view" looks like, and it doesn't branch so much as send out roots.

Post edited by fixmypcmike on
  • Tree view does allow you t see multiple folders, and is the standard name for such an arrangement. Not sure where List view comes from, but it looks like the screen shots I have seen for Mac "folder trees" so it may be from there.

• dennisgray41dennisgray41 Posts: 744

Non-complaint:  Wheee... I found my newly purchased CPU fan/cooler assembly that I'd specifically bought to fix my old computer.  The new fan had gotten "lost" in one of my wall of small shipping boxes for  computer parts.  Surprisingly I finally found it in a box labeled "Misc. Computer Parts."  who would'a thunk it?  I obviously put it in that box only a week or so ago.  Senility is creaping up quickly.frown

Complaint:  The process of finding my new fan entailed me finally getting my hands dirty and reorganizing my wall of parts boxes.  I'm about half way through.  I've been through about 10 boxes and finally thrown away ancient, ancient parts that I will never use and I don't have the patience to wait until I find someone interested in a USB1.1 hub or a CardBus ethernet adapter for a Win95 laptop.  Or half a dozen IDE cards, or old AGP video cards.  or..., or... much other ancient stuff.  Trashed it.yes  In this process I've freed up about two cubic feet of space on my wall by repacking some of the boxes, and many of them are much lighter.  Now, if I could just easily tell which one of my hundred USB cables are not CAT5 rated I'd get rid of them too.  Happily, I also found an old design but essentially new, barely unboxed MSI GeForce N730 graphics card to replace my existing really ancient ATI graphics card that tends to BSOD now and then.  I tried the N730 once before but no cigar.frown  This time I'll be a little more deliberate to tease out the settings necessary to make it work.enlightened

Oh, and in the process of sorting my boxes, I found a small bag of my old licenses and ID cards.  Found a PADI diving certificate photo of a 29 year old me from 1977, back in my SCUBA days, back when I weighed 160 pounds, 70 pounds ago.frown

If you look on youtube, you can find where you can turn all those extra parts into enough free gold to pay for the new video card for only about twice that much in toxic chemicals plus disposal costs, but you will likely only get .50 on the dollar for your gold. Good luck.

• dennisgray41dennisgray41 Posts: 744

My arm hurts. Started 3 weeks ago.b I don't like it.

This discussion has been closed.