The Carbonated Beverage and Things Named After Earls Before the End of the Year Thread

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,225
    Gordig said:

On kind of the opposite side of things, many of the towns and cities where I live have Native American names that are often comically unpronouncable to people who aren't from here.

Try Chautauqua, Cattaraugus, Cassadaga, Canandiagua, Onodaga indecision   Iroquois and Seneca Indian words in western & central NY State. 

I looked a few of those up, and they’re pronounced basically the same as I’d expect them to be based on spelling. Now how about Puyallup?

• kenshaw011267kenshaw011267 Posts: 3,805

Anyone familiar with the correct pronunciation of Cairo, Egypt does not want to know how Cairo, Illinois is pronounced.

Anyone familiar with the correct pronunciation of Cairo, Egypt does not want to know how Cairo, Illinois is pronounced.

I’ve seen Huckleberry Finn starring Elijah Wood, so I can guess. 

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,189

Well, don't leave us hanging. frown

edited July 2020
    Gordig said:
    Gordig said:

On kind of the opposite side of things, many of the towns and cities where I live have Native American names that are often comically unpronouncable to people who aren't from here.

Try Chautauqua, Cattaraugus, Cassadaga, Canandiagua, Onodaga indecision   Iroquois and Seneca Indian words in western & central NY State. 

I looked a few of those up, and they’re pronounced basically the same as I’d expect them to be based on spelling. Now how about Puyallup?

I'll bite.  poo-yup?  Is it what you say to a group of southern friends trapped in a hole and you offer to help?  "Pull y'all up"

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,762

It's pretty common in Texas to find words of Spanish origin badly anglicized, so that the J in San Jacinto, which would be pronounced as an H as in Juan in espanol, instead gets a hard J, leading to the local college of that name being known by all as San Jack.  The worst name I've found for non-locals to come across unprepared, however, is the street known as Fuqua.  So how do YOU think that might be pronounced?  devil 

Cybersox said:

It's pretty common in Texas to find words of Spanish origin badly anglicized, so that the J in San Jacinto, which would be pronounced as an H as in Juan in espanol, instead gets a hard J, leading to the local college of that name being known by all as San Jack.  The worst name I've found for non-locals to come across unprepared, however, is the street known as Fuqua.  So how do YOU think that might be pronounced?  devil 

My wife’s name starts with a Y, and she worked with many Hispanics. One time, one of them was asked how her name was spelled, and he said “I think it starts with a J”. You can probably guess where it went from there. 

Gordig said:
    Gordig said:

I'll bite.  poo-yup?  Is it what you say to a group of southern friends trapped in a hole and you offer to help?  "Pull y'all up"

That’s probably closer to how it was originally pronounced, but we say pyoo-AL-up. 

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,821
    Gordig said:

The final obstacle course in the show American Ninja Warrior is called Mt. Midoriyama, which literally means "Mount Green Mountain". It's not merely redundant, though; it's also wrong. "Yama" refers to mountains generally, but the name of a mountain is "san". Mt. Fuji, for example, isn't "Fuji yama" but "Fuji san".

To be fair, that was partially inherited from the original Japanese version of Ninja Warrior. (More interestingly demented than the American version, though not nearly as demented as many Japanese game shows.) In Sasuke (the original title), they really did just call it Midoriyama. You can hear it around the 1:55 mark in this clip; no "san" or anything else. (I think. Announcer is very excited -- understandably, in context -- and very shouty.)

edited July 2020

I suppose in that context, it could make sense if they’re just referring to it as “the green mountain”, rather than Midori being the name of the mountain. 

Post edited by Gordig on

Well, don't leave us hanging. frown

like Karo corn syrup, long a and o.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

Wantagh, Happauge, Copiague, Quogue (originally Quawquannantucke) on Long Island, NY.

Billerica, Peabody, Groton, Woburn in Massachusetts.

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005

Wantagh, Happauge, Copiague, Quogue (originally Quawquannantucke) on Long Island, NY.

I went to Happauge this morning... no hopping hogs to be found though... very disappointing... (A lot of LIers say "Hop-Hog").

edited July 2020

Oh, anything in the Boston area is out of bounds.no  Just no 'splainen their pronunciations.  Although, I blame it on being an old English colony that prospered so that everybody was born with a sliver spoon in their mouth but it never got removed.  Kind'a hard to pronounce their 'R's with that damn spoon in the way.

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
    McGyver said:

I went to Happauge this morning... no hopping hogs to be found though... very disappointing... (A lot of LIers say "Hop-Hog").

Which is not to say that LIers are Liars.  Well, some of them are, but probably no more or less than is typical anyplace else, unless by "anyplace else" you mean MegaCorp Corporate HQ or the White House, in which case LIers are unusually honest.

Oh, anything in the Boston area is out of bounds.no  Just no 'splainen their pronunciations.  Although, I blame it on being an old English colony that prospered so that everybody was born with a sliver spoon in their mouth but it never got removed.  Kind'a hard to pronounce their 'R's with that damn spoon in the way.

Bostonians can pronounce R's, they just need to conserve them, so they take them out of words like car and partnership so that they'll have them for words like idea and data.

Bostonians can pronounce R's, they just need to conserve them, so they take them out of words like car and partnership so that they'll have them for words like idea and data.

That would explain why they had to take both Rs out of Worchester. 

Speaking of Boston, or Mass. at least, Worcester? WTF? How do the English say it? How do the English say Worcestershire? Please tell me they don't act like the middle syllable isn't even there.

Many, many, years ago I dated a woman from there and went there to visit her family and got hopelessly lost because she said "get on 90 and pull off at the Worster exit and wake me up" and promptly fell asleep, flying into Logan for Thanksgiving had been bad I'll grant. I get to the Mass/Ny line and realized something was amiss.

• Wantagh, Happauge, Copiague, Quogue (originally Quawquannantucke) on Long Island, NY.

Speaking of Boston, or Mass. at least, Worcester? WTF? How do the English say it? How do the English say Worcestershire? Please tell me they don't act like the middle syllable isn't even there.

Wooster, woostershuh

Many, many, years ago I dated a woman from there and went there to visit her family and got hopelessly lost because she said "get on 90 and pull off at the Worster exit and wake me up" and promptly fell asleep, flying into Logan for Thanksgiving had been bad I'll grant. I get to the Mass/Ny line and realized something was amiss.

Side note: my maternal grandparents were from rural Illinois, and despite living in Washington the vast majority of their lives, they never stopped pronouncing it “Warshington”. 

I give up. I'm going to start speaking Ido or Klingonese (that has fun romantic poetry with thrown crockery) or maybe Quenta (nah my handwriting could never handle Quenta script).

Quapla

I give up. I'm going to start speaking Ido or Klingonese (that has fun romantic poetry with thrown crockery) or maybe Quenta (nah my handwriting could never handle Quenta script).

Quapla

You mean Quenya?

Just a note to clear up one small issue. "Sliver spoons" are very much like "silver spoons" except they are produced in Boston. :-o
    Gordig said:

Quapla

You mean Quenya?

Gorram autocorrect
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,593
    edited July 2020

...well that was interesting yesterday evening.

Missed most of what is in the new split thread here as we had a  blackout in the part of town I live ing that hit us about 20:30 (Pacific time).  Quite a large area area was dark with just a a block or two here and there still having power (would hate to see the actual grid map, must be a mess).  Apparently it lasted for about two and a half hours (just past 00:00 Daz Time).  Fortunately I was not wokring on any projects at the time but did lose out on two of the three flash coupons (was working on the Fifty-For-3 one when the power went out).  Disconnected all the equipment so it wouldn't get hit with a spike when power came back on and went out for a walk to get footage of the local demonstrations in downtown (which still had power). 

When I got back, reconnected everything, and booted up I got the usual BOIS screen asking if I want tostart normally and did. 

However...

...after the system started up, one of the displays for some reason rmained dark.  I let the boot up runi its coruse, did some diagnosticd which indidated the display was functioning properly, shut down properly and restarted everything hoping that would solve the matter as bufferes would clear and everythiogn would be reset.  It didn't. When I restarted the system manually after doung a full shut down  I got the BIOS screen again querying me for what OS to use (it only showed W7) which has never appeard in ages   I checked all connections and everythign is OK,  there was no indication of heat or other damage to the second display, and again Winows is recognising it ss functioning.  However whne I go into Diplay i nthe Control Panel, it only shows one instead of two display icons. Furthermore when I select the second display in under Screen Resolution and click on "IOdentify" it indicated it as Display #1 not #2.

Furthermore Chrome is messed up.  At first when I sstarted it up I received multiple "not responding" messages  almost one after the other.  I also don't get my background screen when I open a new tab, when an emial in GMail is open, I don't get the "back arrow" to return to the inbox,.and spelling check is out .

The main vexing part though is the blank second display as I cannot work in Daz or some of my 2D programmes without it. I also have certian other programmes/utilities that default to opening on it (like MS Word) which I cannot see and thus am unable to use as I cannot grab and move them to the primary display until I can get this situation fixed.  It isn't the GPU either as that checks out fine as well.

I spent over an hour going through control panel options but could find nothing that applied, so the only thought I have is that some kind of default setting I am not aware of was switched and is blocking the video signal to the second unit.

I apologise for any typos as again, I cannot access MS word to cut/paste to/from for scanning the post for spelling errors (the one here in the forums is absolutely dreadful).

As to the issues with Chrome, not sure what is causing those at all. 

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • GreymomGreymom Posts: 1,104
    edited July 2020
    kyoto kid said:

...well that was interesting yesterday evening.

Missed most of what is in the new split thread here as we had a  blackout in the part of town I live ing that hit us about 20:30 (Pacific time).  Quite a large area area was dark with just a a block or two here and there still having power (would hate to see the actual grid map, must be a mess).  Apparently it lasted for about two and a half hours (just past 00:00 Daz Time).  Fortunately I was not wokring on any projects at the time but did lose out on two of the three flash coupons (was working on the Fifty-For-3 one when the power went out).  Disconnected all the equipment so it wouldn't get hit with a spike when power came back on and went out for a walk to get footage of the local demonstrations in downtown (which still had power). 

When I got back, reconnected everything, and booted up I got the usual BOIS screen asking if I want tostart normally and did. 

However...

...after the system started up, one of the displays for some reason rmained dark.  I let the boot up runi its coruse, did some diagnosticd which indidated the display was functioning properly, shut down properly and restarted everything hoping that would solve the matter as bufferes would clear and everythiogn would be reset.  It didn't. When I restarted the system manually after doung a full shut down  I got the BIOS screen again querying me for what OS to use (it only showed W7) which has never appeard in ages   I checked all connections and everythign is OK,  there was no indication of heat or other damage to the second display, and again Winows is recognising it ss functioning.  However whne I go into Diplay i nthe Control Panel, it only shows one instead of two display icons. Furthermore when I select the second display in under Screen Resolution and click on "IOdentify" it indicated it as Display #1 not #2.

Furthermore Chrome is messed up.  At first when I sstarted it up I received multiple "not responding" messages  almost one after the other.  I also don't get my background screen when I open a new tab, when an emial in GMail is open, I don't get the "back arrow" to return to the inbox,.and spelling check is out .

The main vexing part though is the blank second display as I cannot work in Daz or some of my 2D programmes without it. I also have certian other programmes/utilities that default to opening on it (like MS Word) which I cannot see and thus am unable to use as I cannot grab and move them to the primary display until I can get this situation fixed.  It isn't the GPU either as that checks out fine as well.

I spent over an hour going through control panel options but could find nothing that applied, so the only thought I have is that some kind of default setting I am not aware of was switched and is blocking the video signal to the second unit.

I apologise for any typos as again, I cannot access MS word to cut/paste to/from for scanning the post for spelling errors (the one here in the forums is absolutely dreadful).

As to the issues with Chrome, not sure what is causing those at all. 

For your monitor I would suggest 1) disconnect from computer.  2) Turn on and try to access the menu/settings mode.  It the menu settings/mode is not displayed, and the screen is still blank, it may be that the monitor led light source has gone out.  If you do see the menu display, try resetting the monitor to default settings.

Another thing that caused me a similar problem a couple of times:  check the monitor cable plugs at both ends to be sure one of the pins has not been pushed back partway into the plug body.  If so, and you don't have a spare cable, you can try pulling the pin back into position with needle-nosed pliers this actually worked for me once.

Post edited by Greymom on
  • 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287
    edited July 2020

The local vs non-local pronunciation is an interesting conversation. I have family who live in Arkansas and the locals pronounce it "Are-Kin-Saw" but often people from out of state will come in and call it "Are-Kansas".

Post edited by 3Diva on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,593

....the odd thing is that it was working just fine when the power went out.  I disconnected the power mains to everythig so when service was restored, it wouln't spike anything (even though I have layerd surge protection). When I started the system up for the first time after power was restored (went out for a bit instead of sitting in a darkend flat forwho knows how long) that was when I noticed the situation.  As I mentioned I let the boot up finish, then shut down properly through Windows, waited, and powered back up figuring that would have solved the matter.  L.G. also mentioned trying just a restart so I did that and still no image even though Windows tells me everything is working.   

This and the fact teh BIOS screen now comes up and queries me every time I start up makes me think some kind of setting got buggered. If it was the backlighting elemnt that went out I would still be able to see a "ghost" image of whatever was currently on that display by shining a flashlight on it (nothing appears when I do so).. 

There could be no way I could have damaged any pins because I haven't removed the video cables for some time prior to the power outage.  I still checked the video cable atteched to it on your suggestion, and all the pins are fine on both ends.

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,762

The local vs non-local pronunciation is an interesting conversation. I have family who live in Arkansas and the locals pronounce it "Are-Kin-Saw" but often people from out of state will come in and call it "Are-Kansas".

Yeah, but that's not local pronunciation, that's just people who somehow managed to get there without ever hearing the name said out loud or who have somehow forgotten every single U.S. geography lesson they had in school. :)  Whereas Iowaaah vs. Ioway, Boss-ton vs Baaah-stan, and New York vs New Yahk are world-famous and used fiercely like badges of pride by the associated locals... 

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287
    Cybersox said:

Yeah, but that's not local pronunciation, that's just people who somehow managed to get there without ever hearing the name said out loud or who have somehow forgotten every single U.S. geography lesson they had in school. :)  

So basically the entire population of Arkansas? :P

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,885
    kyoto kid said:

....the odd thing is that it was working just fine when the power went out.  I disconnected the power mains to everythig so when service was restored, it wouln't spike anything (even though I have layerd surge protection). When I started the system up for the first time after power was restored (went out for a bit instead of sitting in a darkend flat forwho knows how long) that was when I noticed the situation.  As I mentioned I let the boot up finish, then shut down properly through Windows, waited, and powered back up figuring that would have solved the matter.  L.G. also mentioned trying just a restart so I did that and still no image even though Windows tells me everything is working.   

This and the fact teh BIOS screen now comes up and queries me every time I start up makes me think some kind of setting got buggered. If it was the backlighting elemnt that went out I would still be able to see a "ghost" image of whatever was currently on that display by shining a flashlight on it (nothing appears when I do so).. 

There could be no way I could have damaged any pins because I haven't removed the video cables for some time prior to the power outage.  I still checked the video cable atteched to it on your suggestion, and all the pins are fine on both ends.

can you set your BIOS to the default after taking note of all the settings?