SereneNight's Sci-fi Fun

Comments

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,568
    edited April 2015

If you like working with photoshop layers you might try:

http://www.daz3d.com/mask-and-multipass-toolbox by draagonstorm. This tool is great for allowing you to quickly select items in your DAZ studio render so you can mask them off and edit them separately in photoshop.

For example:

1. Quick closeup shot of your character.
    2. Use the tool to mask off either the foreground, background, surfaces or whatever you please.
    3. Compose in photoshop.
    4. Composition consisting of mask and figure 1.

Masking and rendering only what you want in render will allow you to apply more detail or alter the qualities of this specific selection. Which is quite useful if you want a section or character to 'pop'

TEST-5.jpg
    750 x 1000 - 485K
    Test3.png
    750 x 1000 - 770K
    Test-2.jpg
    750 x 1000 - 60K
    TEST-1.jpg
    750 x 1000 - 415K
    Post edited by Serene Night on
    edited April 2015

Okay, here I wanted to play with new content!

Sarge is in the Sci-Fi Factory Control Room http://www.daz3d.com/sci-fi-factory-control-room

This set renders really well, I really like it and don't be fooled by the dark promo art. You can lighten things up if you want.

Pose is from the newly released Pistol and Poses set by Porsimo

http://www.daz3d.com/pistol-and-poses-for-m6-and-v6

s-1.jpg
    1200 x 1350 - 1M
    edited December 1969

Here's another in Sci-Fi Factory Control Room http://www.daz3d.com/sci-fi-factory-control-room

final3.jpg
    1500 x 1350 - 1M
    edited April 2015

I promised Novica I'd show off a few pictures of Gareth HD: http://www.daz3d.com/gareth-hd-for-michael-6 by Raiya

I must admit I think he is my favorite Raiya male figure to date. He has such a nice natural heart-shaped face, nice skin, and his eyebrows are expressive but not super big. His mats render quite well as well. I really like him. =-)

I've also been really wanting this very cool weapon included in the Acasia for V4 http://www.daz3d.com/acasia-for-v4 pack by DarkStarBurning MindVision G.D.S

The shotgun is cool because it unfolds with a blade like option. Very clever and well-done. Well worth the cost I think for such an interesting weapon. There are also some posed for v4, but the gun poses at least seem to work with regular poses. Watch out for the mats. In DS you will need to apply both the gun mat and the blade mat separately or your gun will look funky col' medina.

Acasia for v4 is presently on sale at 80% off and I've included one of the promo images so you can check out the cool shotgun.

acasia-for-v4-4.jpg
    500 x 650 - 61K
    Gareth-gun.jpg
    1136 x 1278 - 672K
    Gareth3.jpg
    1136 x 1278 - 691K
    Gareth.jpg
    1136 x 1136 - 613K
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,861
    edited December 1969

Oh yeah, I see why you like him. You're right about his nose too- it's interesting and not "run of the mill." It gives him a unique look. I'll have to wishlist him. Thanks for doing him for us. :)

I also like the SciFi Control Room. Yeah, the promos are dark but it's good to know it renders well when better lit. Who's the African American dude in the olive green that is firing the weapon?

edited December 1969

Thanks Novica!

The African American man is dialed:

Gianni 6 body 100%
    Michael 6 100%
    Tyler Body 100%
    and Jaques head 79.4% from http://www.daz3d.com/shimuzu-s-head-morphs-for-michael-6

by Shimzu.

Skin is Tyler.

edited December 1969

For those who may have missed it, Boris HD for gen2Male is in fast grab right now. Fast Grab has been changing quickly, and this is a real deal at 70% off.

http://www.daz3d.com/boris-hd-for-genesis-2-male-s

edited April 2015

Okay, I had a chance to do some quick renders of Boris HD . Boris is a great character which you can use with any skin you like.

One thing that is cool about Boris is that you can apply his HD morphs to other figures to get some really nice added definition.

In this lineup, I have Boris HD on the left, and Sarge as he looks normally. Boris is sadly more ripped. (Sorry Sarge). In the second image I applied the HD body definition morphs to Sarge. You can see it especially on the chest... But the added definition looks great. You can of course dial in the shape if you like, and there are head HD morphs as well which add some nice cragginess.

I like this versatile product.

Oh, and Boris comes with shorts he's wearing which is a nice bonus.. =-)

B.jpg
    1200 x 1371 - 864K
    A.jpg
    1200 x 1371 - 865K
  • John SimsJohn Sims Posts: 360
    edited December 1969

It would seem, with Boris, DAZ is finally getting a male physique that looks like a male body (a brick out house male body none the less).

The female figures look great but the male figures all seemed a bit strange to me - arms stuck out of the end of ridiculously wide shoulders and thighs like cavalry pants.

edited April 2015

I do think you have a point there John. I never would've thought about the cavalry pant legs, but that is a spot on comparison. I do think Genesis 2 men seem to have been birthed from the rib of gen 2 female. I've said it many times but gen 2 male has some serious figure flaws which are highly distracting to me. (namely the pecs, and head shape). I was hoping by now they would be fixed.

Boris weight and blockiness is what I would expect from Freak 6. He is a stunning figure. You really get the feeling he is a physical character large and in charge. Highly useful. Stupendous work. =-)

edited December 1969

Has anyone used AR Wrath Marines in any work? I'm going to take a look at this cool set next. It also has some nice weaponry.

edited April 2015

Here is the Snow suit version of Wratih Marines. It is currently steeply on sale which is nice surprise. You'll need Coalition Rapier and Coalition Claymore to use all the items. This is a great set, by DZFire. I particularly like the helmets which have a spider-like feel to them. I'm going to try the Claymore armor next. The only challenge here, is there is no texture preset for everything at once. So you have to apply the items, and color them individually.

http://www.daz3d.com/ar-wraith-marines

Photoshop_image2.jpg
    1200 x 1350 - 982K
  • TeofaTeofa Posts: 823
    edited December 1969

I love your work. And, Sarge is way hunkier than that "new guy".

edited December 1969

Here is the Snow suit version of Wratih Marines. It is currently steeply on sale which is nice surprise. You'll need Coalition Rapier and Coalition Claymore to use all the items. This is a great set, by DZFire. I particularly like the helmets which have a spider-like feel to them. I'm going to try the Claymore armor next. The only challenge here, is there is no texture preset for everything at once. So you have to apply the items, and color them individually.

http://www.daz3d.com/ar-wraith-marines

The Snow suit version looks good, and I'm reading up on that toolbox. I'll have to wishlist it and hope it's not too technical. Great examples!
    And yeah, I'm partial to Sarge too. :-)

edited December 1969

Thanks Teofa, and Novica! I like the fact that Sarge is a hunk too. =-)

I think the new guy has some great HD details I will add to Sarge's body with those HD details! At least, for when he's not got his armor on which is most of the time!

And I like the fact that Boris is so tough. He'll make a great opponent.

Todays content really blew me away! Sadly! For all those vendors I am now out of cash. I have wishlisted the rest of the amazing Sci-fi and will be buying the wireframe shaders, the grunge expansion to the sci-fi prison perhaps next month.

I did buy the snake... (Oh man he is cool), the prison (love it, wish I could get the grunge version too, but next month) and the stardomes!

One interesting thing about the AR Wraith Marines set, is that there is a flight pack. Will be trying that soon too!

@Novica I do find the textures can get a bit complicated, especially since the way product view jumbles them together is very difficult. An alias made of the actual files is probably more useful. But I'm finding that what I have to do is sort them myself. But that is a project for another day.

edited April 2015

LOL, I KNEW you would get that snake. Remember the fun we had with Infiltrator? (another goody!)
    http://www.daz3d.com/infiltrator

I still remember your Infiltrator and the pumpkin during October. Very creative! I'm looking forward to seeing what this cyber snake can do- larger tasks, that's for sure!

My top thing from today would be the shaders, but I'm sticking to my guns and not buying hardly anything since I blew my April budget in March and that's that. But they sure are making it hard! I agree- I like the prison cells, the snake, the shaders, pretty much everything you listed. Looking forward to some great renders.

Post edited by Novica on
    edited December 1969

Couldn't resist. I found it! To this day, I still love the lighting on this and the humor.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/19756/P1230/#409445

edited December 1969

The snake was totally a must buy. I am sad I wont' be able to buy more this sale, since there are a lot of tremendous picks. The Wireframe shaders look really cool, and I love the promo art.

You totally know me too well.

I like that pumpkin carving infiltrator! That is a laugh.

edited December 1969

Okay, here is the Coalition Claymore version of the AR Wraith Marines outfit (they are only slightly different), but this time with the jet pack option. (The jet pack, the knife and the helmet eyes are quite interesting and might be useful on other products parented to different items of clothing). This outfit is a great deal, and has tons of versatility.

This showcases, the excellent backdrop skydome product which I truly love DigiValut Stardomes. It is a great value, and includes a number of nice skydomes. It is also quite big, so I could easily maneuver around in there adding props to the scene.

I also at last got to use the Space Stones, which was a PC club freebie, and has some great asteroids and gems in it. I'm going to really have to take a closer look at that product, because I think it is really neat. Lots of cool options, and the rocks render well.

I wanted to use Jepe's products since I got them last month during March madness so the rocket exhaust on the backpack are jepe's as well as the Purple haze around the floating crystal.

final2.jpg
    1500 x 1250 - 893K
    edited April 2015

I really like the purple glow on his outstretched arm too.

Post edited by Novica on
    edited April 2015

Here's my final image from the Wrath Marines set. I wanted to do an image with the Gatling gun. I also wanted a more shiny reflective helmet glass for this, so I doctored I up with some metallic shaders.

new2.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 818K
  • The DigiVaultThe DigiVault Posts: 448
    edited December 1969

Epic!!

edited December 1969

He certainly looks like he means business :)

edited December 1969

Thanks digivault and, novica.

my pick for today? The da revolver and poses looks awesome! I'll certainly be picking those up soon. I also appreciate the inclusion of bullets! Looks really useful.

edited April 2015

okay, here is a test render, nothing fancy, of some new content I picked up.

Here we have Pure Hair Lovely, which is part of the genesis sale going on right now. It really is a steal, and if you remove the band (sorry, just tend to not like hairbands on ladies too much), it looks really cool.

The pose and weapon are from Action poses with Sci-fi rifle.

And then of course there is the lustrous Sci fi prison corridor which renders nicely and is worth every penny!

Finally, I have to say the Sci-fi Body suit SF-001 is probably the nicest bodysuit in the sci-fi genre in the store. Really well done. Spectacular colors, and textures. Great piece of work.

Oh, and before I forgot to mention it, the Alien Guard robot is great shrunk down to like 8 percent. Great detail and if you don't want a full HG wells look he shrink downs nicely

Mini-rant. Finally, I really wish there was more consistency in spelling the word sci-fi in the store. It can be spelled different ways, but finding content when people spell it 3 different ways and probably 4 if you also take into account the word science fiction. is really annoying. I choose sci-fi because it looks better to me, but content labeled sci-fi is also spelled sci fi and scifi. It just makes finding sci-fi hard. Consistency would be awesome. It would make it so much easier to find stuff if you don't spell it 3-4 ways.

girl-1.jpg
    900 x 900 - 686K
    edited April 2015

Here, I was just messing around with Slosh's Galactic Force outfit. I found the outfit kitbashes fairly well with the chest and arm and some of the belt pieces from Galactic Corps defender by Bobbie25 and Sarsa. The color really is an exact match if you use Sarsa's expansion pack.

So if you're looking to add a chest piece to Galactic forces defender and you have Galactic Corps you might try it. There are some issues with the gloves autofitting to gen 2. And some issues with the arm pieces with the entire Galactic Force Bodysuit underneath, but the great thing about both outfits is that you can hide sections or make them opaque.

It would really be quite easy to turn the Galactic Corps outfit into an expansion set for Galactic Force for gen 2. The basic structure almost works that way. Just needs a few tweaks.

fin5.jpg
    1000 x 1200 - 579K
    final-1.jpg
    1000 x 1200 - 631K
    edited December 1969

Okay, Here is my first render of Mech Enforcer by Ant Farm/Sickleyield. What can I say? Beautiful piece of work. Love it. I hope to see more! Much more! I think my favorite piece is the helmet. Anyway, also got to use FW Savannah. Beautiful character. Slow render for me on the face each time, but worth it I think. Oh, and the Alien Collector... Those tentacles are really great. And the glow effects are even better than usual. Overall... Nice job.

I called this one "It's good to be the queen."

queen-3.jpg
    900 x 700 - 490K
  • SloshSlosh Posts: 2,391
    edited December 1969

Here, I was just messing around with Slosh's Galactic Force outfit. I found the outfit kitbashes fairly well with the chest and arm and some of the belt pieces from Galactic Corps defender by Bobbie25 and Sarsa. The color really is an exact match if you use Sarsa's expansion pack.

So if you're looking to add a chest piece to Galactic forces defender and you have Galactic Corps you might try it. There are some issues with the gloves autofitting to gen 2. And some issues with the arm pieces with the entire Galactic Force Bodysuit underneath, but the great thing about both outfits is that you can hide sections or make them opaque.

It would really be quite easy to turn the Galactic Corps outfit into an expansion set for Galactic Force for gen 2. The basic structure almost works that way. Just needs a few tweaks.

Hey, that does look really good together :) I wanted to do accessories, but I think it was beyond my skill set at the time. Next time, the outfit will have more involved. And yes, I do plan a "next time". Most likely a sci-fi coveralls/work uniform type of thing. It's on the idea board already

• wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 2,339
    edited December 1969

Slosh said:
    [And yes, I do plan a "next time". Most likely a sci-fi coveralls/work uniform type of thing. It's on the idea board already
    Well, get it off the board and into play, that's just the kind of thing I'm looking for. I snapped up your last sets as soon as they hit the store, coveralls/work uni's will be the same. Now quit dawdling around here, get back to work! ;-)
    -- Walt Sterdan
  • The DigiVaultThe DigiVault Posts: 448
    edited December 1969

wsterdan said:
    Slosh said:
    [And yes, I do plan a "next time". Most likely a sci-fi coveralls/work uniform type of thing. It's on the idea board already
    Well, get it off the board and into play, that's just the kind of thing I'm looking for. I snapped up your last sets as soon as they hit the store, coveralls/work uni's will be the same. Now quit dawdling around here, get back to work! ;-)
    -- Walt Sterdan

I'd also buy that Slosh;-)

This discussion has been closed.