SereneNight's Sci-fi Fun

Comments

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,559
    edited September 2014

I've redone Sarge's skin with a new one. It is Sean for D5 for now with teeth from Amon, and eyes from another character.

more-squinty2.3_.jpg
    700 x 800 - 375K
    Post edited by Serene Night on
    edited September 2014

This is not one of Sarge's better moments.In fact, I'm absolutely certain Sarge would never do this. But, since I wanted to show the bathroom in this new set, and well, I've never used the inebriated poses, I decided to volunteer Sarge for the task. I do think the Frenchfries look a bit pencilly. And this is after me shortening and widening them.

Here you can see the topaz cartoonized shader in image 2 Looks pretty neat, eh.

final-tooned.jpg
    750 x 800 - 381K
    Final.jpg
    750 x 800 - 495K
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited December 1969

Aw, everyone can have one of those days. :) He looks like he enjoyed it, lol. Agree about the fries, they are all too uniform. I've never been to a fast food place that didn't have some wilted or deformed fries, aka fries with character. The toon looks good!

BTW, I'm doing the dandelions you asked about, will post in about five minutes in my thread. They don't render very fast.

edited September 2014

Novica suggested I post the comparison renders I did of the Genesis Version of bot Armor Versus the Version for Genesis Females.

I find both useful, but genesis 2 parts can apply easier to Genesis 2 males. One thing I really like about the gen 1 version is the ball joints. Those are just really cool. The Genesis 2 version has a really interesting spine going up into the skull base and of course, different color options. The joints have stretchy black rubber instead of the ball and socket. Here you can see the Gen 2 version vs. Gen 1, both modeled on the basic female figure.

Genesis 2 is using a darker metal surface. Genesis 1 is using the female texture option which has some makeup.

comparison-shot2.jpg
    1485 x 1485 - 1M
    comparison-shot1.jpg
    1485 x 1485 - 1M
    edited December 1969

Yeah, I still can't decide if I like the flexible spandex for behind the knee, or the ball joint. :)

edited December 1969

I find elements of each very appealing. The gen 2 version has a lot more color options if you buy the expansion packs. I also like the matte white plastic version as modeled here on the doctor. That is included in the basic pack. For the men, I don't think the chest pieces look as good, so I'm leaving them off, but a bit of clothing is required to cover the transition- or a bit of artful photoshop.

I do wish there was a men's verison expansion. Too. I tend to make cyborgs, not full type bots, so I want to use pieces with mostly human or alien figures.

beach-1.jpg
    700 x 800 - 342K
  • John SimsJohn Sims Posts: 360
    edited December 1969

This is not one of Sarge's better moments.In fact, I'm absolutely certain Sarge would never do this. But, since I wanted to show the bathroom in this new set, and well, I've never used the inebriated poses, I decided to volunteer Sarge for the task. I do think the Frenchfries look a bit pencilly. And this is after me shortening and widening them.

Here you can see the topaz cartoonized shader in image 2 Looks pretty neat, eh.

Very cool. I am sure having metal arms would make getting blotto easier as there would be less body to soak it up?

edited December 1969

John Sims said:

Very cool. I am sure having metal arms would make getting blotto easier as there would be less body to soak it up?

Thank ye! Ah! I like that explanation. I'm going to run with that. =-)

edited December 1969

Hello sci-fi fans. If you haven't seen this really interesting photoshop action, you should check it out. It is called abstract photoshop action and if you can google it you can find the shop where it is sold. It is about 5.00 but most definitely worth it.

Basically, you can take any image, such as one generated in DAZ, Sarge's head (shown before), or this image of the female warrior wearing the armor made by Mighty Mestophales and run it to produce some awesome effects. Since it is getting late, this is just a sample of what you can do. I'll play more with this tomorrow. =-)

sarge-1.jpg
    1094 x 1250 - 944K
    image-4.jpg
    750 x 1200 - 769K
    edited December 1969

I've also see the dispersion brush- really neat!

edited October 2014

Okay, Sci-Fi fans, here is the nitty gritty of this photoshop action. It actually took me a couple hours to get this to work last night, mostly because the image I was using I think.

You can see the steps here.

1. Render your figure. Doesn't need a background, although nice lights help.Make sure resolution is at least 1000 pixels
    2. Load the figure into photoshop as background. Make sure it meets minimum requirements for the image (must be reasonable resolution, RGB, and 8 bit). Make sure action is installed in the actions folder.
    3. Create a new layer. Calll it brush
    4. Cover most of your figure loosely with a paint brush in one color. I chose red, because it was easy to see.
    5. Apply the photo action.
    6. Enjoy!

step-3.jpg
    1000 x 1222 - 1M
    step-2.JPG
    667 x 813 - 30K
    step-1.JPG
    671 x 821 - 57K
  • IndigoJansonIndigoJanson Posts: 1,100
    edited December 1969

That looks incredible, well worth a few dollars and some time to experiment with it. Thanks for sharing your results!

edited December 1969

Thanks Jindi. =-) It certainly is. And once you get the hang of it. You can really do some neat stuff.

Here is another demo. Wanted to try it with 2 characters. The challenge I found here is that there were a few less desirable effects which would pop up on the second guy's face. One was an unfortunate blob of paint right over the mouth and an embossed ring around the eye The second is the lines. You can tweak some of these settings in their individual layers. Some of them are also caused by the sharpening layer. It is also interesting NOT to cover the entire figure to make it appear the figure is more stylized. (as you can see with the foreground male figure, I didn't cover him entirely.) I also think it is more desirable to NOT cover the entire figure. Leave a thin strip around the figure to create the best effect.

I do think more action orientated images really benefit from this effect. It is tougher to have characters just stand there. But, it was a fun experiment.

Step1.3_.jpg
    1500 x 1714 - 2M
    step.1_.2_.JPG
    502 x 576 - 29K
    step.1_.1_.JPG
    498 x 573 - 36K
    edited December 1969

Sarge has got some new armor here. And yes it is still yellow.I tried other colors, but well, it just didn't seem the same.

Sarge-1.3-_.jpg
    1200 x 1371 - 1M
    edited October 2014

Okay, this was the subject of a thread in the commons. This outfit is complicated Eve with the top from liquid Halo Remix worn by GIA. The soldier in the back is wearing MOS Invasion for M3, autofitted to genesis.

girl-3.jpg
    1000 x 1230 - 881K
  • FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,317
    edited December 1969

Okay, this was the subject of a thread in the commons. This outfit is complicated Eve with the top from liquid Halo Remix worn by GIA. The soldier in the back is wearing MOS Invasion for M3, autofitted to genesis.

That's a great image, and the clothing combination really works well. I picked up complicated eve the other day, must go try it out.

edited December 1969

Thanks! =-) I wanted complicated Eve because of the unusual promo art that I saw a while ago. It just made me laugh. But it rarely if ever went on sale for me to buy it. I like the base outfit, although I wish the top could be adjusted with a smooth version.

edited October 2014

Here is an image of MOS Invasion with one of the texture packs. This is a set I'd really love to see ported to Gen 2. But it looks good on genesis nonetheless. I also really have to say I like MOS invasion's gun. Many new sets do not have guns with as much detail. =-)

snow.jpg
    1200 x 1371 - 1M
    edited December 1969

The gun was one of the first things I noticed :) The detail IS really nice. The lightning is a cool background, adds to the sense of urgency. Love the bottom effects too, contributes to the action. I assume that was postwork, or is it that product that actually adds effects to the render in progress?

edited October 2014

The gun has some nice electronics on the side which seem to light up. It looks great in renders. (see close-up). I also like the fact that it doesn't have the plastic tube look I see sometimes in guns. It looks good.

Yes, the fog is post work. I mostly use Ron's War Elements, but this time I also added brushes from Ron's tornado pack. That produced the lightning, and one of the stormy sky brush looked nice flipped over and used on the ground as a dust cloud. The rest is a mixture of brushes.

I've been consolidating my brush library to the brushes I used most often in Photoshop. This saves me from hunting for them when I need them. But it is somewhat laborious since Photoshop doesn't really want you to do that.

gun-1.jpg
    650 x 800 - 113K
  • ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412
    edited October 2014

Wow, That would be great for a Colonial Marines set/scene/combo. It is almost identical to the Alines movie prop.

Off to add that to the must get list. (EDIT, looks like the UCM was in the expansion options, lol)
    http://www.daz3d.com/u-c-m-s-f-d

"O" fitting stuff to G2M and G2F from genesis(1) can be saved, and made to show when there selected in the smart tab, with a bit of work...
    (EDIT)
    I still don't remember exactly what type of duf save I did to make the files in my content side of the CL (so it could be saved for later computer upgrades), prop asset or something like that I think. I did kind of fumble threw a metadata clothing color thing here for a clothing item.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/691590/
    The posts around that have hair as well. Thanks in part to allot of digging around, and reading this thread multiple times.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/20018/

Post edited by ZarconDeeGrissom on
  • BaronekBaronek Posts: 81
    edited October 2014

Thanks! =-) I wanted complicated Eve because of the unusual promo art that I saw a while ago. It just made me laugh. But it rarely if ever went on sale for me to buy it. I like the base outfit, although I wish the top could be adjusted with a smooth version.

I love that image you did with the complicated Eve and Liquid halo combo SereneNight... the colour palette, tones, and composition with the model come together really well, and your model says 'Don't mess with me!'

FYI - With the Complicated Eve top, there are morphs in the 'Expansion' set which reduce the breast bumps. http://www.daz3d.com/complicated-eve-expansion

Post edited by Baronek on
    edited December 1969

brad004 said:

I love that image you did with the complicated Eve and Liquid halo combo SereneNight... the colour palette, tones, and composition with the model come together really well, and your model says 'Don't mess with me!'

FYI - With the Complicated Eve top, there are morphs in the 'Expansion' set which reduce the breast bumps. http://www.daz3d.com/complicated-eve-expansion

Thanks! Okay! Wow, thanks for the tip. Not a fan of built in breast bumps. Or Groin bumps either. Like to dial in that myself (or not) Now I'll have to check it out. I own the set, but haven't used it. Thought it was some color options. Now I will have to see... How the top looks smoothed. Thanks for the compliment! =-)

edited December 1969

Just in time for Halloween, we have horror survivor Marius. What is interesting with this image is I used topaz filter as a very slight overay, which gave the zombies an interesting look. Can't do much with the dogs sorry. So dated, but..... I do like Chihuahuas. In the zombie apocalypse I'd be the crazy dog lady. =-).

zombie.jpg
    1200 x 999 - 1M
    edited December 1969

I'm always looking for good skins that can be useful for alien or non-human characters. While I don't tend to do fantasy renders, that doesn't mean I'm opposed to buying fantasy characters and using them in my sci-fi. Here are the skins from Creatures Orc Horde applied to Gen 2 male, and with a few morphs thrown in to look more alien. I also tested out the nice two 3d Dream Hairs Classic Cut II, Ultra Short Cut. Both also on sale with purchase TODAY.I think they look good on the alien figures for a different and alien look.

http://www.daz3d.com/creatures-orc-horde

Aliens.jpg
    1228 x 1638 - 1M
    edited December 1969

Just in time for Halloween, we have horror survivor Marius. What is interesting with this image is I used topaz filter as a very slight overay, which gave the zombies an interesting look. Can't do much with the dogs sorry. So dated, but..... I do like Chihuahuas. In the zombie apocalypse I'd be the crazy dog lady. =-).

I think this is one of your best lit scenes- it's so crisp with excellent contrasts. And I happen to like the dogs! (Dogs will be dogs, ya know?) The zombies are just downright creepy- well done!

edited October 2014

Okay, so one of the things I sometimes like to do is test out light sets. I want to know which sets look good out of the box without tweaking, which ones I have to change slightly to make work, and which ones produce nice renders almost every time. I suspect my taste in lighting isn't the same as everyone else's. But, perhaps these renders might prove useful if you haven't explored the light sets in question.

One set, I really like is Predatron and Diane's Boudoir Photo Studio and Lights. Now, I rarely render an actual boudoir. However, these lights are sweet for interior scenes as you can see. There is a nice variety too. So if you don't like hard shadows there are soft shadows. Several colors. And lots to pick and choose from.

Here I loaded 3 figures to give some interesting contrast. The location is Temple of Xion

First 3 rendered lights are from Boudoir Photo Studio and Lights

1. Raytraced-Hard 3 Point Env
    2. Raytraced-Hard Profile Right. (The alien figure's head needs a touch up. I'd do it in Photoshop, but these are untouched renders).
    3. ShadowMap-Soft IBL Brown R

The Fourth set was from Fantasy Scene and Lights also by Predatron/Diane This is a nice set if you want to add some color to your renders or have some different looking lights.

4. #2 in the set, with Uber Environment set at 65 I believe
    5. Is a wildcard. It is the Number 1 set from Medieval Morphing Dress.

9-s1-medieval_dresslight2.jpg
    600 x 700 - 326K
    9_fantasylights02.jpg
    600 x 700 - 300K
    3-Shadowmapsoft-IBL_Brown.jpg
    600 x 700 - 288K
    2-Boudoir-Lightpresets-Raytraced-HardIProfileRight2.jpg
    600 x 700 - 211K
    1-_3-point_3nv.jpg
    600 x 700 - 286K
    edited December 1969

I think I like the third one the best.

edited December 1969

Novica said:
    I think I like the third one the best.

Yeah, that's the soft shadows one. It looks nice. I'm going to save the file and use it as my 'light' test render set.

edited October 2014

RawArt's grey alien skin makes a nice skin for the male alien in this image.

Alien.jpg
    1200 x 1400 - 823K
This discussion has been closed.