Why does DAZ Studio customers like Conforming Cloths better then Dynamic Cloths ?

Comments

• robkelkrobkelk Posts: 3,259
    edited April 2014

SimonWM said:
    I created an animation using a dynamic dress in DS and it was constantly speckled with poke throughs. And this was indeed using the correct figure for the item. With Poser dynamics you can specify how far it needs to be before it calculates collisions and how big the offset is, effectively preventing poke-through before it starts. I believe this is also in the advanced options of the dynamics plugin for DS, but as I don't own the plugin it's hard to comment on how the two differ.

You need the advanced plugin to help with animations. Sequential, concurrent, time step and iterations will help with what you want to do.
    I believe HeraldOfFire was using animations because that's what he(?) thought needed to be done with dynamic items.

Perhaps somebody who actually uses dynamic clothing successfully could post a step-by-step list of what one needs to do in order to use dynamic items. (Yes, I know - DAZ3D seems to think "documentation" is a four-letter word, but it's necessary sometimes.) That way, we'd all be talking about the same process.

Post edited by robkelk on
  • SimonWMSimonWM Posts: 924
    edited April 2014

I believe DAZ Studio needs to address its animation tools in general in the future. Its my hope that it will happen and that hopefully it will bring along the dynamic clothes via Optitex or any other plugin people develop. As for documentation, I know there are a few good video tutorial DAZ keeps on their youtube channel. I haven't checked the documentation lately but DAZ did wrote a couple of real nice Optitex documents when the plugin first came out and used to keep handy in their old website.

Post edited by SimonWM on
  • icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

robkelk said:
    SimonWM said:
    I created an animation using a dynamic dress in DS and it was constantly speckled with poke throughs. And this was indeed using the correct figure for the item. With Poser dynamics you can specify how far it needs to be before it calculates collisions and how big the offset is, effectively preventing poke-through before it starts. I believe this is also in the advanced options of the dynamics plugin for DS, but as I don't own the plugin it's hard to comment on how the two differ.

You need the advanced plugin to help with animations. Sequential, concurrent, time step and iterations will help with what you want to do.

I believe HeraldOfFire was using animations because that's what he(?) thought needed to be done with dynamic items.

Perhaps somebody who actually uses dynamic clothing successfully could post a step-by-step list of what one needs to do in order to use dynamic items. (Yes, I know - DAZ3D seems to think "documentation" is a four-letter word, but it's necessary sometimes.) That way, we'd all be talking about the same process.

What steps are followed depends upon whether or not you are using the figure the dynamic clothing item was designed for and whether or not you are using the free player or the for pay dynamic cloth control plugin.

In the case of cloth dynamics, it isn't DAZ that's to blame for the lack of documentation. DAZ handed over all aspects of cloth dynamics to Optitex after the merger. The Optitex website has forums including one that has tutorials. Have you looked at any of them?

• GhostofMacbethGhostofMacbeth Posts: 1,548
    edited December 1969

I like what dynamic clothes can do but it is a lot of work for little return most times. And forget having more than one dynamic item on a figure. That is to much of a pain to deal with. Generally, I will go for conforming just because I don't have hours to deal with dynamic. Plus DS dynamic clothes kill a scene from being able to open for me. It just seems to corrupt the file or something and it just errors out anytime I have save with dynamic clothes.

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

In the case of cloth dynamics, it isn’t DAZ that’s to blame for the lack of documentation. DAZ handed over all aspects of cloth dynamics to Optitex after the merger.

DAZ has never merged with Optitex. In 2009 DAZ merged with Gizmos which is also located in Israel but the two companies are unrelated. Optitex's primary market is the fashion design industry and I suspect what they got out of the collaboration was the addition of a player for the people who use their products.

edited April 2014

icprncss said:
    DAZ handed over all aspects of cloth dynamics to Optitex after the merger. The Optitex website has forums including one that has tutorials. Have you looked at any of them?

I believe Optitex doesn't have any involvement in DAZ Studio cloth room other than holding DAZ to their restrictions with the clothing creation. As far as I know the paid for player and the free one are maintained by DAZ. The name Optitex in DAZ products and the website belong to a Published Artist - Martin so not even that is officially Optitex.

edited December 1969

And forget having more than one dynamic item on a figure. That is to much of a pain to deal with.

That very much depends on how you do it. I prefer to drape in layers and don't find that it is very difficult to get the look I want. I find the limited range of motion that looks good with many conforming clothes far more frustrating that waiting on a drape. I always have something else I can do while that is running.

edited December 1969

Plus DS dynamic clothes kill a scene from being able to open for me. It just seems to corrupt the file or something and it just errors out anytime I have save with dynamic clothes.

What version of studio? What figures, items? Have you reported this to Bruce? It will really help me and your other fellow PAs that sell dynamic clothes.

edited December 1969

SimonWM said:
    icprncss said:
    DAZ handed over all aspects of cloth dynamics to Optitex after the merger. The Optitex website has forums including one that has tutorials. Have you looked at any of them?

I believe Optitex doesn't have any involvement in DAZ Studio cloth room other than holding DAZ to their restrictions with the clothing creation. As far as I know the paid for player and the free one are maintained by DAZ. The name Optitex in DAZ products and the website belong to a Published Artist so not even that is officially Optitex.

After the merger with Gizmoz, the then DAZ PTB announced that all aspects of cloth dynamics would be handed over to Optitex. It was a long thread in the old archives that is currently inaccessible. That was pretty much the last thing out of the head honchos like Steve Kondris regrading what would happen with cloth dynamics.

Actually Optitex has had involvement in the past. They adapted the free player that is part of DS. They developed the cloth control plugin. As the Optitex commercial system is Windows only the beta release of the plugin was windows only. It took time to develop the mac version. Much longer than anticipated. They were supposed to develop the promised cloth creation plugin as well.

I'm well aware that Optitex wasn't the company DAZ merged with. I even stated it in an earlier post.

edited April 2014

icprncss said:
    SimonWM said:
    icprncss said:

I believe Optitex doesn't have any involvement in DAZ Studio cloth room other than holding DAZ to their restrictions with the clothing creation. As far as I know the paid for player and the free one are maintained by DAZ. The name Optitex in DAZ products and the website belong to a Published Artist so not even that is officially Optitex.

After the merger with Gizmoz, the then DAZ PTB announced that all aspects of cloth dynamics would be handed over to Optitex. It was a long thread in the old archives that is currently inaccessible. That was pretty much the last thing out of the head honchos like Steve Kondris regrading what would happen with cloth dynamics.

Actually Optitex has had involvement in the past. They adapted the free player that is part of DS. They developed the cloth control plugin. As the Optitex commercial system is Windows only the beta release of the plugin was windows only. It took time to develop the mac version. Much longer than anticipated. They were supposed to develop the promised cloth creation plugin as well.

I'm well aware that Optitex wasn't the company DAZ merged with. I even stated it in an earlier post.

Yes, past tense. I believe in actuality Optitex has as much hands in the DAZ clothing room as the people who sold to Poser their Poser cloth room technology have now. What I mean is the ones in charge of keeping the engine running is DAZ, Optitex is long gone.

edited December 1969

SimonWM said:
    icprncss said:
    SimonWM said:
    icprncss said:

Yes, past tense. I believe in actuality Optitex has as much hands in the DAZ clothing room as the people who sold to Poser their Poser room technology have now.

Larry Weinberg still has his ties to Poser. He is the man who created the Pose room technology. If you are referring to the Poser cloth room, Curious Labs entered into an agreement with Size8 Software and Size8 helped CL design the cloth room. Size8 Software has since gone under as has Curious Labs. While EF and SMS have made some code improvements to the cloth room, it is still pretty much the same as it was when it was developed jointly between CL and Size8. In fact, the cloth room is still credited to Size8 the same as the face room is credited to Singular Inversions.

The DS cloth dynamics system is based on the Optitex pattern to clothing commercial system. It's proprietary. If Optitex won't have a hand in developing anything futher for cloth dynamics then who will? DAZ has never stated they purchased any part of Optitex. It was originally stated as a joint venture.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

Coon Ra said:
    RAMWolff said:
    Something that was promised a couple of years back and never came about. Alex and Ken are working on a dynamics engine for this purpose as well as making LAMH more dynamic.... Can't wait!

I'd say closer to decade, not couple years.

Well how many years since we have had the current dynamics engine in DAZ Studio so yea, probably more than 2 years.... Certainly not a decade....

edited December 1969

I believe in actuality Optitex has as much hands in the DAZ clothing room as the people who sold to Poser their Poser room technology have now. What I mean is the ones in charge of keeping the engine running is DAZ, Optitex is long gone.

Simon is of course correct. Optitex let Martin have his site hosted by them but he is not employed by the company to do the dynamic clothing. Because he has been a part of the fashion world for many years he owned the program already and the then CEO got him to help with the clothing creation. He also tutors students at various fashion institutes to use the programs in their businesses and does other things that relate too but are not part of the company. So products that say optitext don't indicate any ongoing connection with the company past the PA naming.

Since the original announcement that DAZ and Optitex would work together in 2007 both companies have gone through quite a few upper level changes and different people have different priorities.

edited April 2014

icprncss said:
    SimonWM said:
    icprncss said:
    SimonWM said:
    icprncss said:

Yes, past tense. I believe in actuality Optitex has as much hands in the DAZ clothing room as the people who sold to Poser their Poser room technology have now.

Larry Weinberg still has his ties to Poser. He is the man who created the Pose room technology. If you are referring to the Poser cloth room, Curious Labs entered into an agreement with Size8 Software and Size8 helped CL design the cloth room. Size8 Software has since gone under as has Curious Labs. While EF and SMS have made some code improvements to the cloth room, it is still pretty much the same as it was when it was developed jointly between CL and Size8. In fact, the cloth room is still credited to Size8 the same as the face room is credited to Singular Inversions.

The DS cloth dynamics system is based on the Optitex pattern to clothing commercial system. It's proprietary. If Optitex won't have a hand in developing anything futher for cloth dynamics then who will? DAZ has never stated they purchased any part of Optitex. It was originally stated as a joint venture.

Yes, the cloth room of course. All bugs have been fixed by DAZ in the last few years and the cloth room, or cloth tab in this case is maintained by DAZ. It was a joint venture originally but like Khory says quite a few changes happened that invalidated this joint venture.

DAZ had the right idea, partner with a fashion industry standard and improve on the dynamic clothes available by creating a hybrid conformer/dynamic, unfortunately things didn’t work out as expected for the creation engine part.

edited April 2014

Thanks for posting this Kevin. That's a big help for everyone wanting to master the tools. Here's another link to the documentation center:
    http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/artzone/pub/software/dynclothctrl/overview

Here is another tutorial "Your first drape and beyond": http://docs.daz3d.com/lib/exe/fetch.php/artzone/pub/tutorials/dazstudio/dynamicclothing_yourfirstdrapeandbeyond.pdf

And a very recent video on controllable dynamic shapes available in Draagonstorm product as well as my supersuit sets:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhHPez3uZ8g

• Kevin SandersonKevin Sanderson Posts: 1,643
    edited December 1969

And thanks for those links, Simon!

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,762
    edited April 2014

When users ask what the big missing features in DS are, the answers that inevitably come back are Dynamic cloth, Dynamic Hair and Multiple Collisions/Soft Body Dynamics. Given that all three of these have been available in Poser for over a decade, where they all work perfectly well on DAZ figures, it's certainly something that could have been developed at anytime during the development of DS3 or DS4. (If DAZ had really wanted to implement a better dynamics system in DAZ, a contract with Optitex wouldn't have been a significant barrier to having another third party solution grown.) However, it's obviously not been on the top of the list of priorities for DAZ, especially given that we also still don't have real dynamic cloth for Carrara, which at one time was intended to be a much more advanced step-up program than what it is now. Why?

I suspect that DAZ has (historically) been happy enough with the market as it stood. Remember, conforming clothing and hair work in DS, Poser, Carrara, Bryce, Vue, etc., etc, all the way up the chain, whereas sales of a dynamic product are inherently limited to users of compatible software. Therefore, if all other costs were equal, a conforming item is potentially much more profitable than a dynamic version. That would seem to be born out by the fact that, despite the cloth room's existence in Poser for 11 years, none of the other major purveyors of products for the Poserverse (Rendo, RDNA, Content Paradise) sell more dynamic products than conforming ones either.

And of course, while Poser users may have the benefit of the superior draping of the Cloth Room, they don't enjoy anything that comes even close to the speed and ease of DS's autofit. Obviously I'd prefer to have both, but even so, I've found that I've used DS almost exclusively since the introduction of Genesis, only pulling Poser Pro '12 out when I need the features that DS is lacking.

Post edited by Cybersox on
    edited April 2014

I wouldn't say Poser has superior draping, I've used both and I prefer DAZ Studio, specially for illustration work which is what most users do.

Its interesting to see how much the engineers who are left in charge of updating the Size8 cloth room software know or their lack of knowledge with programming and understanding the dynamic engine as in more than a decade the software hasn't progress at all. When I first heard that Poser Pro 2014 was going to have a "live" dynamic clothes simulation mode, I was really excited because it sounded like a huge improvement to their cloth room until I saw that it doesn't works with their dynamic clothes. Unlike Marvelous Designer's and any proper LIVE MODE, Poser's only works with cloth planes which is not very useful. Not only it doesn't works with dynamic clothes but its also terribly laggy when colliding with figures.

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited December 1969

I didn't realize we could conform and then sim on the fly without the timeline now! It's been too long since I looked at DS dynamics, clearly. I bought Simon's medieval fantasy gear to try it out again.

edited April 2014

I didn't realize we could conform and then sim on the fly without the timeline now! It's been too long since I looked at DS dynamics, clearly. I bought Simon's medieval fantasy gear to try it out again.

Yes, the problem with the conformers is only with the generation 4 rigged dynamic clothes that as you know have a different bone structure to Genesis. The clothes have to be re-rigged to Genesis 1 or 2. Since Genesis 1 & 2 have the same bone structure, dynamics rigged to Genesis 1 will conform with Genesis 2 and vice-versa. Right now all my dynamic clothes have Genesis 1 & 2 versions with the exception to the robes and Martial Arts Gi which Martin already re-rig and are waiting in my queue to be reworked for release to DAZ.

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,762
    edited April 2014

SimonWM said:
    I wouldn't say Poser has superior draping, I've used both and I prefer DAZ Studio.

Sorry, to clarify, by "superior draping" I meant the ability to clothify and drape a conforming item, which you obviously can't do in DS at all.

I'll agree that the lack of progress in the Poser Cloth room is disappointing, as well as that PP 2014's "new" features were rather underwhelming... hence the fact that I'm still using 2012 with the old Poser Physics.

Obviously I'm not directly privy to the decisions behind the development of either software, but the general feeling I've got from my talks with the SM guys is that Smith Micro has focused on a broader approach that sees Poser as something that works in a suite with both higher-end tools like C4D, VUE and Lightwave, as well as side-ways with in-house products like Manga Studio and Motion Artist. Whereas it seems like DS's development has been mainly about creating a larger market for the clothing and accessories that are DAZ's bread and butter, with developments for things like outside render engines and animation coming primarily from the PAs. Obviously both approaches are valid, but it's why "Poser" is the name that most users in the greater CG world still apply globally to this little niche we occupy, whereas DAZ is, first and foremost, known for it's quality content.

Post edited by Cybersox on
  • Testing6790Testing6790 Posts: 1,091
    edited December 1969

Let's not forget that with dynamics we don't have to worry about cling-wrap cleavage. There are very few times that I've wanted form fitting clothing.

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited April 2014

SimonWM said:
    If you use the clothes on the wrong figure that will indeed happen. Generation 4 freebees which are most or all the ones in the Optitex site will only work with generation 4 as conformers.
    The examples I've been using have all been V4 figures, since that's what they were intended for. I realise that they won't fit to Genesis figures for obvious reasons (can't even scale them to size for the most part either), but it treats the outfit as an entirely separate figure for the items I have downloaded, and doesn't even give you an option to 'Fit to' V4.

I'm willing to concede that's not the case for some, but it has been a rocky start for me as a dynamics user in Daz.

Post edited by Herald of Fire on
    edited December 1969

The examples I’ve been using have all been V4 figures, since that’s what they were intended for. I realise that they won’t fit to Genesis figures for obvious reasons (can’t even scale them to size for the most part either), but it treats the outfit as an entirely separate figure for the items I have downloaded, and doesn’t even give you an option to ‘Fit to’ V4.

The rig needs to be selected before you fit it to the figure if I recall correctly.

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited December 1969

SimonWM said:

Yes, the problem with the conformers is only with the generation 4 rigged dynamic clothes that as you know have a different bone structure to Genesis. The clothes have to be re-rigged to Genesis 1 or 2. Since Genesis 1 & 2 have the same bone structure, dynamics rigged to Genesis 1 will conform with Genesis 2 and vice-versa. Right now all my dynamic clothes have Genesis 1 & 2 versions with the exception to the robes and Martial Arts Gi which Martin already re-rig and are waiting in my queue to be reworked for release to DAZ.

Awesome. I'm playing around with the medieval set right now, and it's amazing how easy it is to use! Very exciting.

• GhostofMacbethGhostofMacbeth Posts: 1,548
    edited December 1969

SimonWM said:
    Plus DS dynamic clothes kill a scene from being able to open for me. It just seems to corrupt the file or something and it just errors out anytime I have save with dynamic clothes.

What version of studio? What figures, items? Have you reported this to Bruce? It will really help me and your other fellow PAs that sell dynamic clothes.

I think it was 4.6 that most recently did it. I was using one of the robes on Genesis but I can't remember which one it was and I can't open the file now. Another time it was the hooded cloak on the M4 skeleton.

I haven't reported it to Bruce. I think I put in a bug tracker forever ago but it was closed.

• RorrKonnRorrKonn Posts: 509
    edited April 2014

hybrids and all are cool if you all want them.
    But I would like to see 100% Hair, Cloths Dynamics in DAZ Studio like they have in the Main App's Max,C4D,Blender.etc etc.
    Real Dynamics are cool also.

Post edited by RorrKonn on
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Note Please

Just a friendly reminder that each of us has our preferences as to what they find easiest or best, please do not turn those preferences into a debate on which is better since that is subjective based on who you ask and is likely to turn into an app war type discussion.