Comics

Comments

• Griffin AvidGriffin Avid Posts: 3,758

The effect is Motion Blur. Lots of plug-ins or software like Photoshop should have a filter.

You have options

a) 

I would render the object in Daz without the background.

If it's an object against just the sky, turn the dome off to render the object without anything behind it.

If you want, you can then render that same background without the object in the picture too.

In photoshop or whatever you use to edit images, layer the two and use Motion Blur on the background layer. It will look blurry behind the image.
    ------------------

b) A second option is to render like normal, bring the picture into your photo editor and make two copies or layers (I usually make several in case I screw up). One is laying on top the other.

Use Motion blur on the top image and erase around the ships edges until it looks the way you want.

• VIArtsVIArts Posts: 1,496

ooh, thanks

Comic Lifers,

How the itchy Cheerio-topped onionheads do you shape panes?

Do you want a simple curve for your backdrop or are you trying to make something more extreme?

I don't need anythng too complex. I was checking out pre-built templates and noticed panels hat look like broken crackers neatly arranged. i was just gonna use plain old rectangles but  now i''m thinking thats probably not very interesting

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287
    edited June 2020
    MAJourney said:

I don't need anythng too complex. I was checking out pre-built templates and noticed panels hat look like broken crackers neatly arranged. i was just gonna use plain old rectangles but  now i''m thinking thats probably not very interesting

So you're referring to panels for your sequential pages with "Comic Life"? I don't have the program but did a quick Google - looks like page 14 and 15 shows how to load different panel shapes: http://plasq.com/helpfiles/Comic_LIfe_manual.pdf

Post edited by 3Diva on

Hahaahh when he said Comic Lifers, I thought he meant those of us who have dedicated out lives to comics. lol

edited June 2020

Hahaahh when he said Comic Lifers, I thought he meant those of us who have dedicated out lives to comics. lol

hahah I thought that at first too, then I remembered there was a programed named that and figured he might mean the program. I could be wrong though. lol I also had trouble deciphering the "itchy Cheerio-topped onionheads" part but then again, I'm probably just getting old. :P I think they probably just mean "heck", If replace that part with heck it makes sense to me. Oy I feel old these days. lol

Post edited by 3Diva on
  • Silas3DSilas3D Posts: 554

If you would like to incorporate comic elements directly into your renders, these are really cool:

https://www.daz3d.com/comic-kit

https://www.daz3d.com/comic-kit-2

I've also just released a product that allows you apply a popart shader to Genesis 8 Female:

https://www.daz3d.com/dotify-for-genesis-8-female

Here's a few of the promos:

Aw man, I thought everyone who popped in hee would know  about Comic Life. In earlier pages  people were recommending CL and Manga Studio What you use?

MAJourney said:

Aw man, I thought everyone who popped in hee would know  about Comic Life. In earlier pages  people were recommending CL and Manga Studio What you use?

I just use Photoshop.

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,795

I'm using Gimp, though I got myself a version of clip studio, so  one day when i got too much time on my hands ...you know the rest

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,987

I'm using Clip Studio and Photoshop.

• Emo SludgeEmo Sludge Posts: 79
    edited June 2020

I highly recommend and prefer clip studio because of how amazingly it handles halftone and converts renders and imported 3D objects. Here are some examples of work I've done in clip studio paint ex using daz and other 3D models:

(Right Click and open image in a new tab to make them bigger to see the full effect of the halftones)

Post edited by Emo Sludge on

Oh no...i juat realized shuld consider margins. shuld it be one inch? i have 8.5x11" pages

OH NO number 2...y'all temptin' me now lol

• novastridernovastrider Posts: 204

Were do y'all get those speech bubbles from?

Were do y'all get those speech bubbles from?

clip studio has them, I'm making mine in Gimp myself but the new gimp filters have some speechballoons as well

• jjmainorjjmainor Posts: 478
    MAJourney said:

If you decide to sell a book on Amazon, they have a tool called Kindle Comic Creator that lets you designate areas on the page where the reader can zoom in, which is helpful when people are reading on smaller screens.  Plain, rectangular panels are fine since readers aren't going to see the artistry of the layout unless they zoom out to look at the full page.

edited June 2020

Anyone have any suggestions on how to "express" av hissing sound? Like, what font?

middle panel

Page_2.jpg
    2550 x 3300 - 339K
    Post edited by VIArts on
  • GalaxyGalaxy Posts: 562

Photoshop is king and more than extremely powerful, jack of all photo editing trade and even this king is no match for features, functionality and tools of Clip Studio Paint for illustration and comics because it is a dedicated software for illustration and comics. I am new to comics (not started any project yet) but I know advance functions and use of both software and few other graphics softwares. My Clip Studio Paint is currently Pro version and I will upgrade to Ex version in future.

MAJourney said:

Anyone have any suggestions on how to "express" av hissing sound? Like, what font?

middle panel

generally I'd advise to stick to a handfull of fonts for the comic instead of a different one for each effect. rather take one you already used before and use a shear funktion on it to make it more fitting the the situation

I haven't really used any yet. I'm just starting.  lol There will be los of hissssssssing

There is one called Alpha Smoke I wouold use, but i can't tell if it can be usedv commercially. A lot of fonts out there are only for personal use.

• GalaxyGalaxy Posts: 562

My* goal for you with this post was three-fold.

The fonts had to be free.
    They had to be able to be used commercially (or at least partially)
    They had to at least be “almost” as good as a paid commercial font.

https://jasonthibault.com/comic-book-fonts/

* Not my his.

edited June 2020

Can i get an opinion? does this give that zoomy feeling? I'm asking 'cauae my vision isn't great.

i used Photoshp's Fiber filter

19.jpg
    4096 x 4095 - 7M
    Post edited by VIArts on

MAJourney said:

Can i get an opinion? does this give that zoomy feeling? I'm asking 'cauae my vision isn't great.

i used Photoshp's Fiber filter

It doesn't simply because the effect is over the entire image. If you "erase" the effect in front of the figures and just have it trailing out behind them, then that would probably help give the look of motion. :)

How would y9u show eyes blinking? multiple images doesnt seem right

• Emo SludgeEmo Sludge Posts: 79

MAJourney said:

How would y9u show eyes blinking? multiple images doesnt seem right

Why would you want to show blinking in a comic? 

If the effect you're trying to go for is a break in the action or slowing down the pace, multiple panels would work fine. You would really only have blinking in a comic if it was an action the reader is meant to focus on. Just make sure your panels showing the blinking are smaller in some way than your average panel, because it's a short action and panel size/length is often used to show the perceived passage of time.

This goes in the general category of "small gestures" that EVERY comic book creator seems to think about at some point.

There a few ways that most us to convey these small moments.

a) Put the word <blinks> in the paragraph so it's part of the speech balloon.

"If I gave you a hint

<blinks nervously>

that something was wrong,

you would get it"

b) Use the word blinks as a small sound effect and place in near the face.

c) Have the narrator mention it.

d) Have another character mention it.

e) Use action lines to show the motion of the eye lids or eye lashes

------------------

This also goes for head-nods.

---------------------

And then there's also the practice of blending both states together (in this case, eyes open, eyes closed) to show the close transition.