Comics

Comments

• tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 3,532

I have a question about 3Delight.  How do I cast a shadow on a transparent ground.  I like to render my characters and backgrounds seperate but I'm losing the ground shadows.  Not a problem in IRAY. 

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

I think you need to use what they call a shadow catcher.

I got it.  Thanks.

• avxp said:

I always do my text (Script and Notes) in a Word document first so I can catch all the typos.

I try and never type anything fresh in any program, ever. lol

The ones that do get through are when I mistype, but it's still an actual word.

1) My script starts off as a title .... KILLER ROBOTS FROM MARS 

2) a few versions of the story description. So and so are doing such and such.... Joe and Jane visit Mars and are attacked by...will they survive? 

3) List of things I'm using or assets, I list the characters and objects and sets and environments and such.     Mars 360 set, rocketship by vendor,spacesuit X

4) goes special notes, like a font or maybe a moment I want to capture. 'do Mars title in astral Font'

The script starts off as huge blocks of "what happens" and slowly over time, it becomes "this character says this and that character says that. "They crash land, get captured, escape,go home" --> "How far to Mars, now, Jane?"

Then it becomes 'this scene (or render) has this dialogue in it. [ship cockpit] Jane says: Joe Says:

And then it becomes this page has these renders on it. a) Rocketship in space exterior  b) far shot of bridge  c) Two figures speaking

- it's seems complicated but this is done over time as I make the book. The first scripts look nothing like the ones near the ending.

------------------------------

avxp makes a good point about using a text editor with a good spell check. I'd also recommend having someone proof read either your script or your finished pages. I found out back when I first started writing short stories that an author often misses their own typos or awkward sentences that they would catch while reading someone elses work. The reason for this is because your brain knows what you intended to communicate and will often over look or fill in the missing information. Even though I mostly stuck to sharing on writing forums it really helped to have someone read it before posting a story.

• Silent WinterSilent Winter Posts: 3,635
    SkydogHex said:
    avxp said:

I always do my text (Script and Notes) in a Word document first so I can catch all the typos.

I try and never type anything fresh in any program, ever. lol

The ones that do get through are when I mistype, but it's still an actual word.

1) My script starts off as a title .... KILLER ROBOTS FROM MARS 

2) a few versions of the story description. So and so are doing such and such.... Joe and Jane visit Mars and are attacked by...will they survive? 

3) List of things I'm using or assets, I list the characters and objects and sets and environments and such.     Mars 360 set, rocketship by vendor,spacesuit X

4) goes special notes, like a font or maybe a moment I want to capture. 'do Mars title in astral Font'

The script starts off as huge blocks of "what happens" and slowly over time, it becomes "this character says this and that character says that. "They crash land, get captured, escape,go home" --> "How far to Mars, now, Jane?"

Then it becomes 'this scene (or render) has this dialogue in it. [ship cockpit] Jane says: Joe Says:

And then it becomes this page has these renders on it. a) Rocketship in space exterior  b) far shot of bridge  c) Two figures speaking

- it's seems complicated but this is done over time as I make the book. The first scripts look nothing like the ones near the ending.

------------------------------

avxp makes a good point about using a text editor with a good spell check. I'd also recommend having someone proof read either your script or your finished pages. I found out back when I first started writing short stories that an author often misses their own typos or awkward sentences that they would catch while reading someone elses work. The reason for this is because your brain knows what you intended to communicate and will often over look or fill in the missing information. Even though I mostly stuck to sharing on writing forums it really helped to have someone read it before posting a story.

^That's great advice.  (Also remember that spellcheck won't catch things that are also correctly spelt other words - e.g. if you type their/they're/there or spit instead of spot).  And grammar-check in word is almost useless.

It can still be easier to check separately without the distraction of the images though.

• Orpheus13Orpheus13 Posts: 274

So, I checked the first pages of this (very long but very good) thread, and I see that ToonyCam Pro and PWToon were both recommended. When I look at the previews PW seems better and more varied, but TCP is a camera and therefore can also be used in 3D animations right ?

Which of the 2 (or any other more recent product) would you recommend for renders of a Comics style ?

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929
    Orpheus13 said:

So, I checked the first pages of this (very long but very good) thread, and I see that ToonyCam Pro and PWToon were both recommended. When I look at the previews PW seems better and more varied, but TCP is a camera and therefore can also be used in 3D animations right ?

Which of the 2 (or any other more recent product) would you recommend for renders of a Comics style ?

pw Toon can be used to create animations & it renders fast 

• MarcCCTxMarcCCTx Posts: 909
    edited August 2017

I have put a few pages, but I am so slow in putting new pages up on WordPress (go from the bottom up).

I have maybe 50 pages done, but have had to go back and add pages where my story is incoherent. (I'm actually stuck trying to figure how to get to the next page / next morning)

Rendered in iRay DazStudio. Composited in ComicLife.

Post edited by MarcCCTx on
  • Griffin AvidGriffin Avid Posts: 3,757

This popped up in my library.

Haven't used it yet, but it does look awesome...

Plus, it's by Dimension Theory so....

https://www.daz3d.com/sketchy-toon-edge-and-art-style-shaders-for-iray

This was actually supposed to be the look of my current series, but I decided to save it for a future project.

And it's on sale NOW.

• Orpheus13Orpheus13 Posts: 274
    avxp said:

This popped up in my library.

Haven't used it yet, but it does look awesome...

Plus, it's by Dimension Theory so....

https://www.daz3d.com/sketchy-toon-edge-and-art-style-shaders-for-iray

This was actually supposed to be the look of my current series, but I decided to save it for a future project.

And it's on sale NOW.

Does it look better than what you can do with PW Toon ?

edited August 2017

You gotta look at the promo art...or maybe check all this thread for discussios..

Post edited by Griffin Avid on
    edited August 2017

I've been tempted to buy that, but I just can't see what it does that I can't do in Photoshop, Topaz Simplicity, Fotosketcher or Manga Studio.  I've made many bad purchases and I just don't want to add to it.  Wish there was a trial period LOL.

Post edited by tkdrobert on

Actually they do let you return things.

I returned 1 item becuase it didn't work, but I've never asked about other items.  I've been hearing they have a generious return policy.

One thing I'm coming to grips with is not being afraid to scrap something and start over again.  I hope to have some new concept art for you guys to see soon.

• ghosty12 said:

I just download the trial version 3.8 ...
    Interestingly, only just installed and already started to like this version, it is very likely that I will do an upgrade (if it is possible to upgrade 1.3.9, which is very old)
    Actually you're right. Things have changed places
    It is this:
    clic on: Inspector / measures, and unchek the box restrict proportions.

How can there be a version 3.8 of Comic Life 3 when the current version is 3.55??

Oops!!! Excuse me!!!

• Folks,
    I do not have this one, no ... But it kind of looks interesting, also limited but:

http://www.comipo.com/en/index.html

• Folks,
    I do not have this one, no ... But it kind of looks interesting, also limited but:

http://www.comipo.com/en/index.html

As you say, it is extremely limited.  I think it is good for young kids, but doesn't really allow you to bring in your own characters (which I think most people here like to render in DAZ Studio).  I believe you are stuck with the few characters offered in that program.  IMO anyone already playing with Daz Studio will get bored with the program in nano seconds, although it does make very cool manga action lines.

• Some nice comic-related videos (aimed mainly at beginners) on this YouTube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd8YOdIhSc1IKrrJV5K7ccQ

• IMO anyone already playing with Daz Studio will get bored with the program in nano seconds

I keep coming up with ways to make it awesome, but it keeps leading back to Daz- and simply buying manga styled anime characters.

Daz does the pixar thing with the giant upper bodies and there's a few anime styled figures, but yeah.

If I had the inclination, I would love to see that system (or premade assets) used for a different style of character and set.

I would mess with one of those if they did sci-fi.

• Some nice comic-related videos (aimed mainly at beginners) on this YouTube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd8YOdIhSc1IKrrJV5K7ccQ

Interesting videos. It's always fun to see other peoples creative process. Not to mention learning new tricks.

edited September 2017

So now, tomorrow is the start of season II for my comic series...

I've been creating art to promote the start...

And in perfect timing, the print version of the first episode arrived today.

It was printed by KA-BLAM, which I've been using for a while now.

The book looks great.

--

Oh and the give a pretty hefty dicount for putting an AD on your back page.

took about 30 days turnaround, total.

They have a pricing guide so you can figure out what costs what AND

they have templates for print.

Which I always suggest artists use when creating their comics, build it in a possible print format.

You never know.

I had to rework all the art for anothe publication, but at least season II will be in its final format from the start....

KA-BLAM does multiple sizes (and that traditional comic size which is 7.5 by something....)

Post edited by Griffin Avid on
  • For my Revenge Of Godzilla and Star Trek: Flight Of The Condor fancomics, I will just do Iray renders. For my original comics, Crimson Angel and The Survivors, I intend to use the comic render stuff for Daz. Bought it a couple months ago, but not tried it yet. As far as pages, I have a layout template in PS that is made so I can rearrange the layout easily, then drop renders in. I just use PS for word balloons and text too, though it's a pain.

• For my original comics, Crimson Angel and The Survivors, I intend to use the comic render stuff for Daz. Bought it a couple months ago, but not tried it yet.

Which one ?

• Orpheus13 said:

For my original comics, Crimson Angel and The Survivors, I intend to use the comic render stuff for Daz. Bought it a couple months ago, but not tried it yet.

Which one ?

Line Render 9000.

• Ok. Well I'm still unsure which olne to get between Line Render, Sketchy, ToonyCam and PWToon, for 2D rendering and animations.

Line Render does look nice.

Not sure if they all work with Iray either...

avxp said:

So now, tomorrow is the start of season II for my comic series...

I've been creating art to promote the start...

And in perfect timing, the print version of the first episode arrived today.

It was printed by KA-BLAM, which I've been using for a while now.

The book looks great.

--

Oh and the give a pretty hefty dicount for putting an AD on your back page.

took about 30 days turnaround, total.

They have a pricing guide so you can figure out what costs what AND

they have templates for print.

Which I always suggest artists use when creating their comics, build it in a possible print format.

You never know.

I had to rework all the art for anothe publication, but at least season II will be in its final format from the start....

KA-BLAM does multiple sizes (and that traditional comic size which is 7.5 by something....)

Very cool.  Congratulations.  That space ship looks awesome.

edited September 2017
    Orpheus13 said:

Ok. Well I'm still unsure which olne to get between Line Render, Sketchy, ToonyCam and PWToon, for 2D rendering and animations.

Line Render does look nice.

Not sure if they all work with Iray either...

I don't have the shaders you mentioned but I have a lot of others.  I have Photoshop and Manga Studio to do post work.  So far Visual Style Shaders is still my favorite, but it is 3Delight and the skin shaders don't include eye brows.  Now you can convert the shaders to IRAY, but they lose their MANGA line and shading properties.  They still look toon though in IRAY.  As far as eyebrows, you can either draw your own or buy brows for G1, G3F, and now G8M/G8F.  Problem is the brows are not toon style.  You can use them as a guide and draw over them.  Or you can use a toon shader and leave them be.  Now, I recently bought the IRAY toon shaders (skin, brows, eyes) for G2, but I haven't tested them yet.  Also, there is a new IRAY toon shader released recently that I have my eye on, but haven't bought yet.  I'm waiting for it to go back on sale:  https://www.daz3d.com/v176-toon-textures

• Looks like that one isn't for characters though.

I'd rather get a shader that's good for everything.

edited September 2017
    Orpheus13 said:

Looks like that one isn't for characters though.

I'd rather get a shader that's good for everything.

It is for characters, but primarily Manga/Anime.  The Anime characters offered by the DAZ store have brows that work with Visual Style Shaders (apparently). 

I would also like a shader that works with everything, but unfortunately I haven’t found one yet.  And based on the comments I've read in these forums, no one else has either.  However, I’ve managed to create some pretty good comic book art with what I have so far; as have others.  In my work (not art), there is no 1 tool that does everything well, so we use multiple tools.  So far, it's the same with 3D art; for me anyway.

If I find that ultimate shader someday, I'll certainly let you all know.