Comics

Comments

• tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 3,532
    edited September 2017

Also, I did request more IRAY toon shaders in the products suggestion forum.

Post edited by tkdrobert on
  • kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914
    Orpheus13 said:

Ok. Well I'm still unsure which olne to get between Line Render, Sketchy, ToonyCam and PWToon, for 2D rendering and animations.

Line Render does look nice.

Not sure if they all work with Iray either...

Line render says it works with any render engine

I have sketchy and have been using it recently which it is Iray only (just very basically, but still looks pretty good. I'm sure it could look even better with messing around with different shaders and settings that come with it.)

PwToon is 3dlight only I believe

Toony cam looks real nice but it doesn't say and I don't have it so I have no idea

• Very cool.  Congratulations.  That space ship looks awesome.

Thanks. Yeah, I've been leaning on NightShift3D a lot recently.

I had to do some work to make the insides of that gunship...

He's like the only vendor that does insides.....

Thanks to Llynara and divamakeup, I've gotten warm to the idea of buying stuff that doesn't quite fit and working it till it does..

avxp said:

Very cool.  Congratulations.  That space ship looks awesome.

Thanks. Yeah, I've been leaning on NightShift3D a lot recently.

I had to do some work to make the insides of that gunship...

He's like the only vendor that does insides.....

Thanks to Llynara and divamakeup, I've gotten warm to the idea of buying stuff that doesn't quite fit and working it till it does..

3-D-C did a ship that I picked up where he made expansions for the different inside sections which I thought was pretty cool.

The geometry for the cockpit windows for the main hull is pretty lacking though, so adding a glass shader isn't going to work without a bit of reworking. Also the textures that come with it are typical old-style textures. One last gripe, for some reason he didn't make the engine room so it completely fits inside the hull like the other 2 sections (Also there is no cargo bay section yet, although there is an empty space for it in the hull)

But over-all it's a really cool concept and I wish more vendors would do stuff like that.

And on a semi-related note, I'm getting really irked by really sweet looking buildings that are only front facing. They don't have to do the insides as that can easily be buil;t with other products, but they really need to have 4 outer walls and a roof!

• And on a semi-related note, I'm getting really irked by really sweet looking buildings that are only front facing. They don't have to do the insides as that can easily be buil;t with other products, but they really need to have 4 outer walls and a roof!

Agreed.

How or with what can you do the insides ? Blender or some stuff in Daz ?

• Orpheus13 said:

Ok. Well I'm still unsure which olne to get between Line Render, Sketchy, ToonyCam and PWToon, for 2D rendering and animations.

Line Render does look nice.

Not sure if they all work with Iray either...

Line render says it works with any render engine

I have sketchy and have been using it recently which it is Iray only (just very basically, but still looks pretty good. I'm sure it could look even better with messing around with different shaders and settings that come with it.)

PwToon is 3dlight only I believe

Toony cam looks real nice but it doesn't say and I don't have it so I have no idea

Thank you. I think the final choice will be between Sketchy and Line Render, they seem to be the best-looking ones from the promo art. Line Render first I think.

Orpheus13 said:
    And on a semi-related note, I'm getting really irked by really sweet looking buildings that are only front facing. They don't have to do the insides as that can easily be buil;t with other products, but they really need to have 4 outer walls and a roof!

Agreed.

Using Daz stuff. Mclean's room creator stuff is extremely helpful in these situations :)

Orpheus13 said:

Agreed.

Using Daz stuff. Mclean's room creator stuff is extremely helpful in these situations :)

Added to my wish list.  Thanks.  My list might explode from all the stuff in it.  LOL!

• tkdrobert said:
    Orpheus13 said:

Agreed.

Added to my wish list.  Thanks.  My list might explode from all the stuff in it.  LOL!

Yeah, me too. Thanks kaotkbliss. I hate you. ^^

LOL Just doing my part to give back after all the years of people doing the same for me :D

• LOL Just doing my part to give back after all the years of people doing the same for me :D

laugh

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,833
    edited September 2017

Folks,
    I do not have this one, no ... But it kind of looks interesting, also limited but:

http://www.comipo.com/en/index.html

Yes, it is limited, but I have a lot of fun with it.

You can also import some simple 3D models into it, but the size of importable geometry is very limited.

One can get it cheaply on Steam, when they have their discount sales.

Comics01_001.jpg
    921 x 1334 - 276K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,693
    edited September 2017
    Artini said:

Folks,
    I do not have this one, no ... But it kind of looks interesting, also limited but:

http://www.comipo.com/en/index.html

Yes, it is limited, but I have a lot of fun with it.

You can also import some simple 3D models into it, but the size of importable geometry is very limited.

One can get it cheaply on Steam, when they have their discount sales.

@Richard John S mentioned this back in August, but I saw no further mention/discussion.

Looking at the web-page specs, and the *results* that @artini posted, and some of the gallery images out there, I think there's more than meets the eye with this one.

Using their built-in 3d-pose-able, designable, dressable comic characters, or using our own comic-tyle DS renders, and OBJ props, and then adding comic-styled backgrounds (DS or DS->photoshop+filters), if you simply wanted to tell stories, this looks viable.

(I find it hard to get past their bubble-gum marketing, but the program specs and some of the gallery results indicate a lot of potential, and the interface and add-ons are clearly designed to do exactly what comic creators ... do ...)

I'm as interested in plasq's ComicLife as well, and also *really* wonder if the paradigm driving SM's motion-artist package is where it'll end up in one form or another. As old-school as I am, the phone/tablet interface is becoming my window to most media nowadays - for practical reasons - and watching today's kids, I can't imagine much paper media in households (not offices...) in 20 years.

good stuff,

--ms

Post edited by mindsong on
  • JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,253

I don't know whether anyone has mentioned this site, but it is *definitely* something to check out regarding your lettering. Loads and loads of professional comics fonts. Including some very nice freebies.

And I remmber there being some useful tutorials regarding the conventions of comics lettering somewhere in there as well.

http://blambot.com

• That's a great resource. Good idea posting it.

Yeah I posted it awhile back.  I got a ton of free fonts from there.

In addition to the Space Adenventure I'm working on, I'm also working on a cyberpunk/tech-noir concept.  This is Detective Kyle Riker, a cybernetically enhanced police officer.  Obviously, this is inspired by Blade Runner, Dues Ex, Ghost in the Shell, etc. 

I went a little buck wild here trying to emulate some Deus Ex stuff I've seen.  I like the style.

Cyberpunk Detective by tkdrobert

• Griffin AvidGriffin Avid Posts: 3,757

It's funny how so many of us have used that look.

Down to the bio, where he is a cyber-enhanced (more bionics) former cop. lol

I assume you saw Blade Runner 2049.

2X so far...Friday and today.....

LOL, what can I say, it's becoming a classic archetype.  I haven't seen Blade Runner 2049 yet.  I was going to see it tomorrow, but the fam wants to go out.  I'll see it on Monday.  I have off. 

Attached are my IRAY versions.

Cyberpunk Detective.jpg
    2400 x 1777 - 3M
    CyberPunk City.jpg
    2400 x 2400 - 7M

Looks great.

It's not about how you arrive or survive, it's all about the thrive.

Well, we all know, nothing survives off look. Story means everything.

If anyone cares about that character, they can look like a walking cliche. lol

---------

Someone that said they greatly enjoyed the new Star Wars movies as much as the old...

I asked them the names of any of the new characters- they couldn't name any.

I aksed them, if they imagined themselves as a kid, what action figure or spaceship would they want to play with?

What scene did they want to create?

What action seqeunce did they want to recreate?

--------

I remember taking the couch pillows and making a Death Star trench.

Turning my sand box into the Sarlac pit...

White sheets on the  ground (yep, mom was very upset) made Hoth.

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,322
    avxp said:

And in perfect timing, the print version of the first episode arrived today.

It was printed by KA-BLAM, which I've been using for a while now.

The book looks great.

--

Awesome to be flipping through the pages of your own book.  The print quality looks good.  Congratulation!

avxp said:

Looks great.

It's not about how you arrive or survive, it's all about the thrive.

Well, we all know, nothing survives off look. Story means everything.

If anyone cares about that character, they can look like a walking cliche. lol

---------

Someone that said they greatly enjoyed the new Star Wars movies as much as the old...

I asked them the names of any of the new characters- they couldn't name any.

I aksed them, if they imagined themselves as a kid, what action figure or spaceship would they want to play with?

What scene did they want to create?

What action seqeunce did they want to recreate?

--------

I remember taking the couch pillows and making a Death Star trench.

Turning my sand box into the Sarlac pit...

White sheets on the  ground (yep, mom was very upset) made Hoth.

I have an origin story for him in my head.  I think it’s cool but we’ll see if anyone else does lol.

Probably will. Have him do interesting stuff(s) and we'll all love him/her/them/it. lol

These are two alternate concepts for my main space adventure character.  The 1st concept I did was more retro and younger.  Out of these 2, I'm favoring the 2nd. 

Alex Riker Concept 2 by tkdrobert

Alex Riker Concept 3 by tkdrobert

Looks good. I like the helmet on the first with the glass front.

But the no-face-reflected helmet looks bad-azz too.

I say use both at some point.

• wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 2,339
    tkdrobert said:

These are two alternate concepts for my main space adventure character.  The 1st concept I did was more retro and younger.  Out of these 2, I'm favoring the 2nd. 

Alex Riker Concept 2 by tkdrobert

Alex Riker Concept 3 by tkdrobert

Both look pretty good (I’m with you on preferring the second), but I’d suggest changing the logo on the first pict’s chest, it looks a little like a sex toy. wink-

— Walt Sterdan

It looks like the chest plate from am Macross/Robotech Valkyrie.

• It looks like a sex toy.
    avxp said:

It looks like the chest plate from am Macross/Robotech Valkyrie.

I loved the Robotech shoes that's why I really like the 2nd Helmet.  The 2nd helmet really goes with the 2st outfit.  Together they do remind me of Cyclone armor.  There are some add ons for that armor that I'm eventually going to get.