123457»

Comments

• cridgitcridgit Posts: 1,757
    edited May 2022

Redacted

Post edited by cridgit on
  • V3DigitimesV3Digitimes Posts: 3,051
    edited January 2022

Because when you dial a helper (1 undo), it automatically dials the forearm bend (1 undo*), automatically dials the shoulder bend (1 undo for shoulder bend dial of the interface), automatically dials the shoulder twist (1 undo for the dial of shoulder twist of the interface), automatically dials  the collar twist (1 undo for the interface dial of collar twist changing value), automatically dials  the collar front back (1 undo for the dial of collar front back changing value),automatically dials  the collar bend (1 undo, for the dial...etc..), and this, as it is a convergence loop, at least ten times each time you change a helper dial. Let's say if you converge in 10 steps, you have 1 (the dial) + 10 x 6 undos (6 or 7 dials of bones rotations with ten iterations each). This is problematic. If I add an undo button it must be able to undo each operation you make, so each dial require an undo, but each dial you trigger will act on all the arm (or leg) dials of this interaface, so this will act on all undos (since their dial value changed, the undo is triggered for each of them since the undo begins when the value change, and this several times per convergence loop). I hope it makes it clear why you fill up the undo stack so fast.

* 1 undo each time because they also are use as dialable controllers so you want to be able to undo them.

Post edited by V3Digitimes on
    edited January 2022

Not sure I was clear let's make an example. Let's say I want to add an undo for when I change the dial of the right forearm bend. I add this undo saying once the value starts to change, you start the undo, when it is over, you stop the undo. Let's say I do the same for shoulder twist. And for the right hand helper.

Now I change the dial of the right hand helper. It takes 10 iterations to reach the new helper location. For each iteration, the new value of the forearm bend will be recalculated and applied to the dial of the forearm bend. This dial changed, so this is one undo (record it as the end of the undo). Then, still for each iteration, a new value is calulated for the shoulder twist. The same way the dial of the shoulder twist changes, and as it changes, it launches its own undo protocole, (since this dial can also be used as a controller when you want to adjust the shoulder twist (arm orientation) for a given hand location). so only for this two dials, I have 20 undos available + the undo of the dial. What you see as 1 operation on 1 dial (the helper for instance, which is easy to undo "alone") is actually 60-70 or more operations on 6 or 7 dials (10 iterations per dials)... each having their own undos...

After trying to say 'no in this case you don't undo' when the other dials where changed by script and not by user, it never worked and I gave up the undo stuff associated to dials.

Post edited by V3Digitimes on
  • Steel RatSteel Rat Posts: 373

Unfortunately I haven't gotten much use out of this. The arms getting deformed happens way too often, then it takes a lot of time to correct, often undoing what I spent 30 minutes doing in the script.

I've been trying this again. Seems my library has grown quite a bit, and my G8 figures have hundreds of morphs, which means the script takes a long time to load. Maybe 10 mintues? Something like that.

Trying it with just two figures in the scene, I hid all hair, clothing, props, etc. So far I haven't gotten any deformations, but things are still very laggy (no, Iray preview is not active). When I change a slider value, say of the right hand up or down, I have to wait several seconds for a response, which means the movement is always too much. Will temporarily changing the mesh resolution to Base help?

The system I'm experimenting on at the moment has 32gb RAM, 6gb Vram (Nvidia 1060).

Nope, this isn't going to work for me any more. It wasn't 10 minutes to load the script, more like 30. DS in general has gotten this way once you start getting a LOT of morphs that automatically load with the figures. If I save a pose preset, and apply it to a figure, that's another 30 minutes, even though I deselect as much as possible when saving the preset.

I know it's not your fault, it's just the way things are. But I can't wait 30 minutes for the script to load, then have the upper arms deform and have to trash everything I did in the script, thus wasting lots and lots of time.

It's a great idea, but really hasn't worked for me to any appreciable degree.

I'm really sorry to read what's happening to you in term of load duration. I'm also super astonished, my son recently worked with it on an old computer I had (similar to  the configuration you have, and also with tons of figures and morphs), and it took maybe 5-10 seconds to load the script, and the figure arms movements were ok, the leg a bit more laggy (until he decreased the convergence for the leg).

Such a load duration is unbearable, but sadly I don't understand where it can come from, I'll have a look if I have debbuging comments in the script to help me understand, but I don't know what I can do. Are you sure that you have the latest verson of the script? (I mean did you check if there was an upate). I remember I simplified the initial save/load procedure. I'll come back to you if I see I have debbuging comments in the script, otherwise I'll have a deeper look at what happens during the launch that could cost so much time. Sorry about that..

The long load times happen on just about everything that deals with characters at this point. I can only guess it's because the G8F characters have hundreds of morphs attached. Actually it's more like thousands, considering all the supplemental morphs many characters come with. 

There were no updates shown in DIM earlier today.

I know it's not your fault, it's just what is, due to the size of my library that's grown exponentially lately, added on to almost 20 years of collecting stuff. I don't think you need to spend time on this if I'm the only one having the issue. I've been timing the script load again on a faster machine, and so far it's taken 38 minutes, and not loaded yet. But I'm going to bed, so I won't know the final load time.

OK it's maybe because it saves and reloads the pose when it starts, when I will have to update it for Daz Studio 5, I'll have a look at how to avoid this step since it is the longest (this is I think possible, with a bit more different other steps, but much lighter - instantaneous - steps). I don't have thausands of morphs, only hundreds (not 20 years of morphs corrections), this might explain the difference. But indeed if you have the long time issue with every load times dealing with characters, I'm not 100% sure it will solve your load time issue, even if I'm pretty confident (because the steps I would use instead would ignore a lot of things). Anyway I'll have a look then, because it would be better for everybody (l hope with what I have in mind load times shoudl fall to two seconds whatever the number of morphs). I'l let you know when I do that (will be after DS 5 release).

I thank you for your understanding :)

I would say the reloading of the pose is the issue. As I mentioned above, if I save a pose preset, and load it again, it takes forever. Many pose products do not take very long, presumably because they were saved on base figures in cleaner runtimes. Much less morph clutter.

Yes!!! In this case there is a way to solve that! Would you beta test it if I try something? I don't have enough content to beta test it myself :(

Absolutely!

Wonderful! This won't be immediately but promised I'll have a look!

That's quite alright.

• jc3_113jc3_113 Posts: 41

This helped me a lot.

Really wish we could have a undo function in next version.

Also, when I move the hip's X/Y/X if the hands and feet could stay still,

that would be wonderful.

Hi, thanks for the feedback. For the undo, I already explained why it was so difficult for me to have undo working previously in this forum, you can easily find it I think. What can be done is to store poses whle you develop your pose, this way if you make a mistake you can reload it (no need to close/undo/reopen the script). Eventually I can have a look to make the "store pose"/"reload pose" more accessible, but for the undo, I don't think there will be a lot of progress (already lost a lot of hair on this issue).

For the hip you alreadt have two dropdown menus just above the hip rotation/translation dials allowing you to decide what you do when you transform the hip (3 options for each : if hands/feet stay on static helpers, if they are "free" (helpers don't move, hands/feet follow hip), if helpers follow hands/feet (default)). Since the calculatations when you choose the options of hands and feet to follow helpers are super heavy, especially if the limbs are pretty stretched, you'd better choose the "fast" convergence settings (if your computer is not a rocket) in the first tab as you're transforming the hip and arms and legs are recalculated to that (once done you can click on a more precise convergence setting).

• HamEinarHamEinar Posts: 106

Any chance of seeing a G9 version? I would gladly pay $100 for this!

Yes this is planned, I'll have to decide during developpment if it can be made as an update or as a new product. I plan it for 2023 if nothing unexpected happens in the meantime :) And it won't cost 100$ XD!

• HamEinarHamEinar Posts: 106

V3Digitimes said:

Yes this is planned, I'll have to decide during developpment if it can be made as an update or as a new product. I plan it for 2023 if nothing unexpected happens in the meantime :) And it won't cost 100$ XD!

My hero! I would rather prefer it to be a new product to avoid any unnecessary complications..

Lol! I'm not often someone's hero, so I appreciate :) I'll do what's the best for everybody, I'll first try the update, and if it becomes too complex to handle all those generations at once, I'll swap to a new product.

• V3Digitimes said:

Lol! I'm not often someone's hero, so I appreciate :) I'll do what's the best for everybody, I'll first try the update, and if it becomes too complex to handle all those generations at once, I'll swap to a new product.

Mayhaps closer now? Damn, I've never been so obsessive about a piece of software before.. just eager to throw G9 into the mix I suppose :) 

• Should not be long. I should post the thread about it tonight or tomorrow. It could not be a simple update because there were too many differences so this is a new product. I made a few changes to how it behaves at launch so that ot launches faster.
  • Holy frag!! :) I should play the lottery or something... THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• You're welcome! Yes, I was amazed when you asked the G9 version the day just before the release! Play the lottery, it seems it is a good idea !