What do you hope to see in 2014?

Comments

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

Well as brilliant as the DAZ coders are they should be able to figure that one out .

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,863
    edited December 1969

The new DS update allows you to control a DForm with a weight map instead of with the zones (you can't mix). Create the DForm, select it (field or DForm), and switch to the renamed Node Weight Map Brush and in the Tool Settings pane you should see Influence Weights listed under the available maps - click Add Map and use the paint tool and the Polygon Selection Editor to, for example, apply a gradient fall off weightmap to the face while excluding the eyes and teeth.

edited December 1969

Thanks Richard. That's very useful info! :-)

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

icprncss said:
    DS already has two different dynamic hair plugins available so I'm not sure what more is needed in the hair category.

They're not really dynamic hair, they're fibre hair. All movement is done with manual styling and manipulating guide hairs, there's no auto-generation of collision, gravity or wind effects like you'd expect in true dynamic hair. I've heard it is at least on the feature wishlist for LaMH, though, so maybe in a couple more versions we'll have it.
  • Fixme12Fixme12 Posts: 589
    edited December 1969

heinz0r said:
    I would like to see plugins for the major 3D applications (preferably Cinema4D), so that you can pose the DAZ figures inside of them natively and with proper deformations. I know its quite the request but I have been looking for something like this since I started out with V4+M4 years ago.

I'm a Lightwaver, so I second this :snake: ...would be great to be able to work back & forth... :)

third++

Modo Plugin version would be welcome, lot's of content creators working in modo these days.

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

icprncss said:
    DS already has two different dynamic hair plugins available so I'm not sure what more is needed in the hair category.

They're not really dynamic hair, they're fibre hair. All movement is done with manual styling and manipulating guide hairs, there's no auto-generation of collision, gravity or wind effects like you'd expect in true dynamic hair. I've heard it is at least on the feature wishlist for LaMH, though, so maybe in a couple more versions we'll have it.

Don't own either plugin, don't have the free player installed and have a vague idea what fibre hair is. Guess I'll wait the couple more versions to see where it goes. Several of AM's animals from here and Rendo did come with Poser hair additions.

• Midnight_storiesMidnight_stories Posts: 4,112
    edited December 1969

fixme12 said:
    heinz0r said:
    I would like to see plugins for the major 3D applications (preferably Cinema4D), so that you can pose the DAZ figures inside of them natively and with proper deformations. I know its quite the request but I have been looking for something like this since I started out with V4+M4 years ago.

I'm a Lightwaver, so I second this :snake: ...would be great to be able to work back & forth... :)

third++

Modo Plugin version would be welcome, lot's of content creators working in modo these days.
    I 2nd that motion to !!!

• Aave NainenAave Nainen Posts: 1,108
    edited December 1969

Oh ...yes and I almost forgot.. this one....You have all of these fancy female dresses and not one of them is able to sit on a horse how about a side saddle....well that's not really a program improvement ....

Oh I could do a morph for my Fabulous (or any of my other) dresses......all I need is the pose :), is there a side saddle pose out there?

• cecilia.robinsoncecilia.robinson Posts: 2,208
    edited December 1969

Oh ...yes and I almost forgot.. this one....You have all of these fancy female dresses and not one of them is able to sit on a horse how about a side saddle....well that's not really a program improvement ....

Oh I could do a morph for my Fabulous (or any of my other) dresses......all I need is the pose :), is there a side saddle pose out there?

Try ShareCG or contact Pixeluna, there are thousands of poses out there. Your efforts in creating realistic movements for your clothes are astonishing. I plan to use your holiday dress soon :)...

icprncss said:

Don't own either plugin, don't have the free player installed and have a vague idea what fibre hair is. Guess I'll wait the couple more versions to see where it goes. Several of AM's animals from here and Rendo did come with Poser hair additions.

Fibre meaning an abbreviation for fibermesh hair like Neftis' creattions? Oh my, the render times... I installed the free player - mainly to get those free presets, especially the gorilla ones... But I haven't rendered anything with it yet. I must try, though. I only hope the render times will not be as long as with WildMane Hair for instance...

• linvanchenelinvanchene Posts: 1,333
    edited February 2015

edited and removed by user

Post edited by linvanchene on
  • TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,251
    edited December 1969

I hope to see more realistic everyday men's clothing with real world tailoring details, more men's hairs and styles.

I'd also like to see some exploration on different body types via geo-grafting to the Genesis figures instead full out morphs.

edited December 1969

This is a great list. I don't do animation but I guess if things were more intuitive then I might consider it at some point but the rest of the list is really great!

HD morphs and GoZ updates

- Acess to the HD morph tool for everyone

- A version of GoZ that not only transfers morphs but also materials from DS to Zbrush and back for a quick polypaint workflow

- Advertise that new and improved workflow between zbrush and DS in 3Dworld to gain new content creators with zbrush skills.

- Showcase that DS can be used in a professional workflow especially for small CG studios who do not have the resources to create everything from scratch but rely on customizing prebuilt content with materials and more detailed morphs.

- - -

And last but not least

- Different companys working in the Computer Graphics industry talking to each other, sharing their plans early, making sure that all parties affected by the changes can have their updates ready at release, agreeing on common standards, finding solutions together.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Fibre meaning an abbreviation for fibermesh hair like Neftis' creattions? Oh my, the render times... I installed the free player - mainly to get those free presets, especially the gorilla ones... But I haven't rendered anything with it yet. I must try, though. I only hope the render times will not be as long as with WildMane Hair for instance...

The hair can be exported as an .obj fibermesh hair object if you need it for another renderer, but natively the hair strands are curve objects native to 3Delight — so the render time is surprisingly short, even if you define half a million or a million strands (e.g. for a full-body critter hair setup).

It's a definite pain in the anatomy to use anything other than a preset, though, I'm having problems wrapping my poor aching brain around the features in the newly updated version of LaMH. The final results can be spectacular, but the learning curve has a definite resemblance to the north face of the Eiger. :smirk:

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

- An "Export all product data" button to export all metadata .dsa and .dsx files of the 2180 products I currently have installed and customized to a backup location.

copy "c:\users\public\documents\My DAZ 3D Library\*.*" "my metadata backup location"

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

The hair can be exported as an .obj fibermesh hair object if you need it for another renderer, but natively the hair strands are curve objects native to 3Delight — so the render time is surprisingly short, even if you define half a million or a million strands (e.g. for a full-body critter hair setup).

It's a definite pain in the anatomy to use anything other than a preset, though, I'm having problems wrapping my poor aching brain around the features in the newly updated version of LaMH. The final results can be spectacular, but the learning curve has a definite resemblance to the north face of the Eiger. :smirk:

:-( We're working to make the interface less intimidating. LAMH is *not* a toy though, so it does have a bit more of a curve than some other software.

For those in the LAMH All Customer Beta Program, a new series of betas that include some of the most requested features is about to become available.

Kendall

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

:-( We're working to make the interface less intimidating. LAMH is *not* a toy though, so it does have a bit more of a curve than some other software.

For those in the LAMH All Customer Beta Program, a new series of betas that include some of the most requested features is about to become available.

Kendall

You say it's not a toy, but I've been playing with it for ages now ;)

In fairness though, it does take some getting used to. I don't think that's necessarily a fault of the plugin though, but more a reflection of what you're trying to achieve. Some times there really isn't an easy way to do what you want, and I think fibre hair is just one of those times. All of my hairstyles end up looking like Shaggy from the Mystery Machine after he went through a carwash backwards, or birds nests, or a Brylcream poster boy who's been in a wind tunnel for a few hours.

That said, I'm loving the instanced stuff. It's a great way to populate fields with grass and flowers, giving an instant and vibrant lawn. I'd say that alone has more than justified me picking it up.

• linvanchenelinvanchene Posts: 1,333
    edited February 2015

edited and removed by user

Post edited by linvanchene on
  • martinez.zora77@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 1,345
    edited December 1969

- An "Export all product data" button to export all metadata .dsa and .dsx files of the 2180 products I currently have installed and customized to a backup location.

copy "c:\users\public\documents\My DAZ 3D Library\*.*" "my metadata backup location"

Not quiet. I was more thinking about the issue I described in numerous posts and mantis bug tracker entries in 2012 and 2013:

If a user made adjustments to 2180 products he would have to

- go to the product library
    - select the product
    - open the content DB editor
    - click on export
    - the .dsa and .dsx file are created or updated in /runtime/support

then repeat that 2180 times (!) to get the individual .dsa and .dsx files copied to runtime/support

- - -

How does it work currently:

If you select the current "Export User Data" from the Metadata Management only one (!) file will be created the so called user data.

What is the issue for advanced metadata management with the current simplified export version?

- Any product installation either with the DIM or manually will overwrite the .dsa and .dsx files in runtime/support
    - It is impossible to extract individual product data from the "User Data".
    - The "User Data" only writes down the CHANGES the user makes.
    - The "User Data" does not include all the information of the complete STATE of a product.
    - If the DIM or manual installations overwrite any .dsa and .dsx files the "User Data" is of no help to reverse the complete product to the original state.
    - only a backup of the .dsa and the .dsx files located in /runtime/support can be used to recrate the orginal state of the product
    - unfortunately the .dsa and the .dsx files are not updated automatically when the user makes any changes to the Categories or in the Content DB Editor.

This is especially annoying when one makes changes to the categories of a bunch of files that are included in many different products. In order to include the update to the Categories in the .dsa and .dsx files of each product one has to go to the Content DB Editor of each product and click on export.

Example:
    If I create more detailed categories for different environments and buiildings I need to go to Content DB Editor of each and every product and click on "Export" to update the .dsa and .dsx files in runtime support. It is also rather time consuming to actually figure out to which product the file I recategorized actually belongs.

What am I proposing:

- The "Export Metadata" button would be a one click solution to go trough all products (2180 in my case) and export the individual 2180 .dsa and .dsx files to a backup location.

This process may take 20 minutes or even an hour or two but is still quicker than to go trough all products manually (!). And yes I was insane enough to do this once manually before upgrading from windows 7 to windows 8 when I only had about 1000 products installed. I took me about 16 hours. Estimate 1 minute per product.

- A checkbox in the DIM lets to user choose when installing product updates if the updated metadata included in the installer should be applied or if the the metadata of the backup the user created before should be loaded again.

Additional solutions:

- Any metadata changes the user makes (Categories, Content DB Editor) are automatically written to seperate product.dsa and .dsx files in a backup location.

- The backup process can be optional with a checkbox for those users who think the "User Data" is enough and do not want to wait for the .dsa and the .dsx files in the backup location to be updated.

- - -

Why do I care about this:

I spend thousands of dollars on CG content each year. If any item is categorized and tagged wrong I will not find it anymore. It will be lost forever in the runtime until I stumble over it by accident. Every time I currently install product updates I risk that my personal changes to the metadata will get overwritten and all my work taging and categorizing will be lost.

- - -

Totally agree with each line which you wrote.
    If you create a product, this dooesn't create the metadata, we need several click and search proccess to develop this necesary task.
    An option like "Create product with same name of the folder" should help too.

• Testing6790Testing6790 Posts: 1,091
    edited December 1969

Same thing I say in every one of these threads:

* More than one collision object
    * Dynamic Cloth room (a la Poser)

That's pretty much it. I really want multiple collision items for 1 object and I really, really REALLY want the cloth room. I lived in that back in my Poser days. Exporting OBJs to drape cloth on is a tedious addition to my workflow.

• chorsechorse Posts: 163
    edited March 2014

Upgrade to the animation and posing tools:

1. Circular and forward IK - So one figure can react on another figure. Motionbuilder calls this double solve.

2. Hard lock option for the current IK pins. So pined bones stay pinned at a location in space. No more sliding feet when creating a walk cycle...

3. Update to PowerPose for the new bones is Genesis 1& 2 figures with a sensitivity adjustment option.

4. Keyframe texture maps or layers/overlays properties . So one can add/change a texture map or layer to a texture map after n number of animation frames. E,g. I can use one texture map for frames 0 - 200, and another texture for frames 201 to 300, and another one for frames 301 - 500 etc. E.g. in an car crash animation this would allow animator to use a normal texture map on a figure before an accident and use a bruised and cut texture map on the figure exiting the damaged car, and a damaged texture map on the car and environment after the crash. It could also be used to do human to creature transformations, environmental changes, etc.

5. Collision detection and an adjustable/flexible floor system with the ability to create multiple floor levels and angles within a scene. This would be a significant tool for realistic animation and a real aid in simulating gravity. I.e. when the bone hits the floor it stops and the rest of the bones crumbles around it if one keeps moving the figure downward. Angles could be used for up-down slopes etc.

6. Ragdoll physics

7. Inhale/breathing morph for Genesis figures.

Post edited by chorse on
  • MikeyFTLMikeyFTL Posts: 367
    edited December 1969

We need a light setting that excludes objects.

edited December 1969

MikeyFTL said:
    We need a light setting that excludes objects.

Do you mean exclude shadow casting??

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,576
    edited December 1969

..a CMS that doesn't keep shutting down.

I often have to go into Windows Task manager to restart it as it does not restart when the application opens. Really messes with functions like Autofit.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,383
    edited December 1969

I don't know why so many people are having problems with CMS shutting down. Seems each week more and more are having the problem. I don't use smart content so never really cared about the CMS or payed attention to it.

edited December 1969

...this has only been occurring since the last two public release builds. Something was broken in the process somewhere.

• RuphussRuphuss Posts: 2,631
    edited December 1969

a "solo" button in szene tab
    means only the solo object/char is visible
    standard in every music editing software

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited March 2014

Kyoto Kid said:
    ..a CMS that doesn't keep shutting down.

I often have to go into Windows Task manager to restart it as it does not restart when the application opens. Really messes with functions like Autofit.

If CMS is shutting down, that means your database is likely corrupt. It isn't because we have changed anything, it is the nature of the version of Valentina being used. Let me go into a little more background.

One of the problems you guys have run into, and are working on to fix, is this version of Valentina rarely, but too often for us to be comfortable with it, will randomly corrupt the database. It is extremely annoying to both you and us and is, and has been, at the top of the list to fix.

So far the fixes we have come up with have introduced more issues than they have solved. Because it is important for you to be able to find your content, we only want to do this once, to cause as little impact as possible to those where the Database is currently working. We are currently in testing with a new solution.

You will get this solution as soon as we believe this fix works, and believe it doesn't introduce new issues.If it doesn't work, then we will look for another solution. :)

Post edited by DAZ_Spooky on
    edited December 1969

...so how do we deal with it in the meantime? I have no expertise to manually go digging around in the database to fix it. Most likely, I will only make matters worse doing so.

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...so how do we deal with it in the meantime? I have no expertise to manually go digging around in the database to fix it. Most likely, I will only make matters worse doing so.

We have an article on how to fix it. https://helpdaz.zendesk.com/entries/22523891-Trouble-shooting-the-Smart-Content-Pane
    edited March 2014

...I use the traditional tree view, not the smart content pane as the latter takes up too much room on the screen. I also have a fair amount of content from other sources besides the Daz store that does not have any metadata.

About half my library/runtime was installed with the old .exe installers as I couldn't get the first release of the DIM to work correctly partly due to a bug and partly due to very slow connectivity at the time. For everything that included a metadata installer with it I installed that as well.

Post edited by kyoto kid on