PoserDAZ Freebie Site - Image Creation Party 2019

Comments

• MollytabbyMollytabby Posts: 1,159
    DollyGirl said:

I have been enjoying your renders of Wilmap's as well. She has a very good sense of how clothing should act in the 3D world.

She certainly does smiley I'm loving all the work that's being done on this challenge. I had no idea what was available before this. I particularly love the entry list because I'm seeing things I never knew existed. The Wiki is a fantastic resource.

I'm hoping @Wilmap doesn't mind, but the last few days I've tended to focus on rendering images of her wonderful clothing. I've used them occasionally before, mostly for the freebie challenge but never really appreciated just how much work has been put into this collection. I'm now sort of hooked on seeing how the next one will render smiley  

These are a couple of my favourites so far.

I do like your uniformity of presentation.

Reminds me of those old mail order clothing catalogues me mum used to get in the seventies.

I know what you mean by getting into a pattern - I've found myself rendering for Syltermermaids V4s - and I know there are about a hundred of them.

You made me laugh out loud with your comment about the clothing catalogue smiley I know exactly what you mean, I had one too! Perhaps that was a hidden influence wink I have to admit though I decided that as my Mac struggles with Iray most of the time, that I'd keep to a simple backdrop and render in 3DL where I can. 

I've been pretty amazed by all the Syltermermaid V4 renders you've done, I had no idea they existed. They look fantastic and I love the settings you put them in. 

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287

I'm hoping @Wilmap doesn't mind, but the last few days I've tended to focus on rendering images of her wonderful clothing. I've used them occasionally before, mostly for the freebie challenge but never really appreciated just how much work has been put into this collection. I'm now sort of hooked on seeing how the next one will render smiley  

Your renders are great - very clean and pretty. Nicely done! 

Thank you every so much @Divamakeup

I'm working my way through my collection of characters, hair and poses as well smiley

• GafftheHorseGafftheHorse Posts: 567

Reminds me of those old mail order clothing catalogues me mum used to get in the seventies.

I know what you mean by getting into a pattern - I've found myself rendering for Syltermermaids V4s - and I know there are about a hundred of them.

You made me laugh out loud with your comment about the clothing catalogue smiley I know exactly what you mean, I had one too! Perhaps that was a hidden influence wink I have to admit though I decided that as my Mac struggles with Iray most of the time, that I'd keep to a simple backdrop and render in 3DL where I can. 

I've been pretty amazed by all the Syltermermaid V4 renders you've done, I had no idea they existed. They look fantastic and I love the settings you put them in. 

I've a Ryzen 7 based system, so don't have much of a handicap when it comes to Iray (apart from running Daz on Wine on 'Linux) but I've done a few submissions in 3Delight as well where the scene suits better (the 1910 kitchen, the suburbs, the 1950s kitchen and a few others) - I enjoy the challenge lighting 3DL and it's advantages over iray in some ways.

Light in iray is like butter warmed in a pan, it oozes everywhere and easily lights a scene, but it oozes everywhere, light in 3DL is like butter from the fridge, you have a job of work to get it over the bread, but you can direct more where you want it and less where you don't.

I'd like to work in one image using Wowies Awe shaders, but I'm still strugling with those.

I've a Ryzen 7 based system, so don't have much of a handicap when it comes to Iray (apart from running Daz on Wine on 'Linux) but I've done a few submissions in 3Delight as well where the scene suits better (the 1910 kitchen, the suburbs, the 1950s kitchen and a few others) - I enjoy the challenge lighting 3DL and it's advantages over iray in some ways.

Light in iray is like butter warmed in a pan, it oozes everywhere and easily lights a scene, but it oozes everywhere, light in 3DL is like butter from the fridge, you have a job of work to get it over the bread, but you can direct more where you want it and less where you don't.

I'd like to work in one image using Wowies Awe shaders, but I'm still strugling with those.

I love the analogy to butter. smiley I’ve never thought of the lighting set up like that. I love my Mac but when I see some of the more complex Iray renders posted I do realise how far behind my machine is in rendering terms. It ties my machine up for hours just rendering figures in Iray. Makes me more creative in the things I try though. smiley

• I love the analogy to butter. smiley I’ve never thought of the lighting set up like that. I love my Mac but when I see some of the more complex Iray renders posted I do realise how far behind my machine is in rendering terms. It ties my machine up for hours just rendering figures in Iray. Makes me more creative in the things I try though. smiley

I'd like to see some other render engine options in Daz, Iray is great and all, but it does kind of pressurise Daz users to buy Nvidia hardware.

I don't particularly like the Nvidia drivers on 'Linux - maybe fine for gaming, but lots of other issues and Nvidia are not very helpful to the open driver project, unlike AMD and Intel. I often regret not going 100% AMD as I barely ever get GPU rendering anyway (sometimes it's an available option, other times not, and even when it is, I'm inclined to do large scenes which blows the GPU RAM anyway).

There are still things you can't do in Iray that are easy in 3DL - that effect of a circle of light like an overhead interrogation light in an otherwise pitchdark warehouse or a camp fire in the darkness where the dark and light seem to push at eachother like a cold and warm front. The dark in iray tends to eat small light sources like a light snack with the yawning void still hungery, in 3DL it stays where put - I especially like the linear point light for those situations  - unnatural maybe, but easy to direct.

Setting lights up to light a scene in 3Delight usually takes longer, but it's mostly tweaking time.

@DollyGirl I've encountered a problem with one of the images I've uploaded. It uploaded fine but when I added the image name to the page it relates to it doesn't show up. I can click on it though and it takes me through to image I uploaded. It's probably something I've done wrong on the edit but I don't know how to correct it.

It's this one here:

https://poserdazfreebies.miraheze.org/wiki/G2F_Full_Circle_Skirt_Dress

@GafftheHorse I've still got a lot to learn but I do like tweaking smiley

• @GafftheHorse I've still got a lot to learn but I do like tweaking smiley

I've only been mucking about in 3D since December 2016....

@DollyGirl I've encountered a problem with one of the images I've uploaded. It uploaded fine but when I added the image name to the page it relates to it doesn't show up. I can click on it though and it takes me through to image I uploaded. It's probably something I've done wrong on the edit but I don't know how to correct it.

It's this one here:

https://poserdazfreebies.miraheze.org/wiki/G2F_Full_Circle_Skirt_Dress

I checked that one, the image appears fine.

Were you just getting a link that say 250px?

If so, I get that...a lot, mostly if I try to upload the image through the page behind 'Edit' now I jus use it to add the image name and caption then click on 250px that appears returning  to the page and upload from the page behind that, fewer headscratching weirdnesses that way.

It's probably either your browser cache or the some other lack of refresh.

• glaseyeglaseye Posts: 1,305

@Mollytabby and @GafftheHorse .... the problem could be related to the use of underscores   _   in the filename. When I upload an image  I don't use 'my' original image file name as used in the upload, but I do copy the filename as it appears at the top of the image-page and paste that to the 'freebiebox' in the item page (after '| image = ').

@GafftheHorse I'm getting a blank image area with a question mark. If you can see it then it's possibly my browser. (Edit: I use Safari and have just checked using Chrome. I can see it there now. So it is my browser that's the problem.)

@glaseye I think you are right. The save to web function in Photoshop puts hyphens between the words and they are now the image title. I tried to upload a revised file without the hyphens but of course the image page still has the original file name as it's title. I've been titling the files according to the heading on the freebie page but thinking about it this one was probably too long for the forum software.

@DollyGirl is there a way delete the image page so that I can do a new one and upload a file name that doesn't mess things up for some browsers?

• glaseye said:

@Mollytabby and @GafftheHorse .... the problem could be related to the use of underscores   _   in the filename. When I upload an image  I don't use 'my' original image file name as used in the upload, but I do copy the filename as it appears at the top of the image-page and paste that to the 'freebiebox' in the item page (after '| image = ').

.image

I think maybe this page with the 'drag image here' bit does the substitution when uploading,

while this page (from the 250pix link back at the main page) does not.

This two stage process is how I've been uploading since, and not having any problems any longer.

2019-08-01-19:55:32_i3_3840x1848.png
    800 x 443 - 108K
    2019-08-01-19:56:30_i3_3840x1848.png
    800 x 451 - 93K

Ooo, I didn't know I could do that. I've just tried to drop the file on the edit page but the problem still persists for the Safari browser so it's probably the culprit. I'm going to have to do my file naming differently I think!

edited August 2019

Ooo, I didn't know I could do that. I've just tried to drop the file on the edit page but the problem still persists for the Safari browser so it's probably the culprit. I'm going to have to do my file naming differently I think!

Quite possibly the wiki software was barely tested on Safari - there's some concern that some webdevs barely bother with anything but Chrome these days (I use Firefox). I just drag'n'drop, to have the filename handily above for reference while typing into the image field, skip the upload button and just save as, and actually upload on the second page.

I've this reticence to use spaces in filenames, on unix this can lead to a lot of quoting in paths and even worse, use of escape characters.

Post edited by GafftheHorse on
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    glaseye said:

I am doing that too - the copy paste of the name on top of the image page, because sometimes the Wiki changes the name for the uploaded picture.

And yes, I fixed some of the item pages to show the pictures by correcting the name of the picture in the freebiebox. Underscores are fine on your computer (I am using them too), just use the name the wiki gave your picture to add to the freebiebox.

Thank you @Kerya :) I'll take a look when I get home. I'm at the dentist at the moment and looking at forum on my phone. I have been copying the text from the top of the image page but perhaps I didn't do it properly on this occasion. If it's possible to break something then I'll manage it, lol.
    edited August 2019

Still going...

Ilya looked ok, but Napoleon Solo looked more like a 50's TV show host until I put a gun his hand*

Still think he's more Ralph Smart though, and both of them more Team America:World Police - perhaps I should have gone for the B/W Season 1 look.

* I believe there was a modern remake? these M4 morphs are of the actorss in the classic - and you can't beat the Hugo Montenegro soundtrack.

Uncle_Agents.jpg
    1100 x 880 - 1M
    Post edited by GafftheHorse on
  • DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,646

Sorry Mollytabby for not answering your questions. but I see that you have found some solutions. As to your question about deleting an image. That has to be done by the admins Rob or Kerya at the moment.

Thank you @DollyGirl smiley

I've changed my file naming process and it appears to be working so far. 

Mollytabby, good. I have a question in to Rob about file name length in the freebie box. So we shall see. Just before we started the party he made some changes to the wiki and things have been a bit strange since then.

@GafftheHorse, did you mean to upload a file by the name of MFD_17thC.jpg? It did not take and I was wondering if you are having troubles with the upload.

• DollyGirl said:

Mollytabby, good. I have a question in to Rob about file name length in the freebie box. So we shall see. Just before we started the party he made some changes to the wiki and things have been a bit strange since then.

@GafftheHorse, did you mean to upload a file by the name of MFD_17thC.jpg? It did not take and I was wondering if you are having troubles with the upload.

Yes, it kept coming up with an error. Something about trying to move a file from /tmp to some other path it labeled as 'local'.

I surmised it was either maxxed out temporary storage as the browser had been running for some time or a connection problem.

Got it sorted after I restarted the browser - I think there was a a problem with running out of the space allowance in temporary storage.

Yes I finally saw it. Was having a problem myself dealing files. We are looking into what the problem might be. Boy really appreciate all the help you guys are providing. Thank you.

I probably won’t be able to do much over the next few days because I have family coming to stay. I’ll be back to normal on Friday smiley

• KarthKarth Posts: 709

Hi there

i am checking my stuff that is linked there. Some dead links.

Is it possible to correct links ?

• glaseyeglaseye Posts: 1,305
    Karth said:

Hi there

Yes, it is.

I'll take it that karth3d.com isn't valid anymore?

• glaseye said:
    Karth said:

Hi there

Yes, it is.

I'll take it that karth3d.com isn't valid anymore?

@glaseye FYI

All the items by CSI: Celebrity Stand In are dead links.

Working on all the dead links. @karth do you have a new home for your freebies. I would make the changes if you wish.

• KarthKarth Posts: 709

Hi DollyGirl,

PM send :-)

@glaseye :

Page is Offline.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    DollyGirl said:

Sorry Mollytabby for not answering your questions. but I see that you have found some solutions. As to your question about deleting an image. That has to be done by the admins Rob or Kerya at the moment.

Sorry for being MIA - I deleted the first version of the picture now ...