Tika 8 - thoughts

Comments

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    edited April 2019

@Jardine thanks! Yes, I knew I could try fun things on her... And because so many complained about too many White girls, here I just used the highest translucency skin setting and just tweaked the translucency color a bit, and tada, not a White girl! Used Suki’s eyes and brows and added in some LaTonya morph. I also have an Asian version but I’m posting too much already lol. They are more artistic than totally realistic but it shows you can do more with a “Thorn doll” than just fairies...

Very nice and also very believable.

... And they are all (the characters) dolls. They are there to be manipulated, posed and dressed up, then placed in stories. That sounds to be the purpose that dolls (including anction man) were for.

Calling any charcter a doll, whilst excluding others from the monica seems to me to be disrespectful.sad This comment isn't aimed at you btw.

Post edited by nicstt on
  • ALLIEKATBLUEALLIEKATBLUE Posts: 2,960

Thanks @ALLIEKATBLUE and @LosingSignallaugh I played with her a lot last night and discovered that with just a few tweaks, she can look almost realistic and of any ethnicity, like, of course, characters are supposed to which is why most of us buy up morphs lol...

Here I made her into a baby. I switched the eyebrows to Suki’s and mixed with Caryn. Everyone was so against Tika, that I made it a point to try out fun new things with her and the more I do, the more I love her! 

See @wonderland. That's what I'm talking bout
  • She's adorable - and the eyes look really good :-)  The new eyebrows are also an improvement, IMO.

Not a baby, though.  Toddler, maybe. ;-)

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287

@Jardine thanks! Yes, I knew I could try fun things on her... And because so many complained about too many White girls, here I just used the highest translucency skin setting and just tweaked the translucency color a bit, and tada, not a White girl! Used Suki’s eyes and brows and added in some LaTonya morph. I also have an Asian version but I’m posting too much already lol. They are more artistic than totally realistic but it shows you can do more with a “Thorn doll” than just fairies...

Those are gorgeous! You're definitely not posting "too much"! I'm loving your renders and various mixes! heart

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,742

She's adorable - and the eyes look really good :-)  The new eyebrows are also an improvement, IMO.

Not a baby, though.  Toddler, maybe. ;-)

Yeah, the baby morphs start to look creepy once you get higher than 50% or so. I really wish they came with a separate head and body morph. Or didn’t get weird looking when you dial them in more... I might try again to make a true baby that doesn’t look creepy lol. 

nicstt said:

... And they are all (the characters) dolls. They are there to be manipulated, posed and dressed up, then placed in stories. That sounds to be the purpose that dolls (including anction man) were for.

Calling any charcter a doll, whilst excluding others from the monica seems to me to be disrespectful.sad This comment isn't aimed at you btw.

I don't think she meant anything by it - I think when people say "Thorne doll" they just mean that many of Thorne's characters are really cute and doll-like. I don't think it's meant to be disrespectful, but more of a descriptor on the style of the characters. :)

• edited April 2019
    nicstt said:

Just another "Offended" poster.  We all get it.  I try and not discriminate between digital doll creations, but sometimes I just can't help myself!

BTW, Wonderland's posts are just terrific!  There's a term I've heard called 'Romantic Realism' from 2D art paintings that just might apply to her's (and some PA's) pictures posted here. Just another peg in my thoughts to purchase the product!

Post edited by davidwski_16294691f0 on
  • I always assumed 'doll' was for non-realistic intended characters, with exaggerrated facial features, especially eyes, like a child's china doll.  I suppose it might not be self-evident for some people... it isn't a perjorative, it's a style thing.

...and the word is moniker.  Just saying. :-)

nicstt said:

• ZaiZai Posts: 289
    edited April 2019

Hrm...I always took calling them a "So&So Doll" as a compliment. People collect dolls...which is the way I usually hear it used. Although I've heard it OFTEN with Thorne's work, I've heard it with many others over the years. Almost always positive...

ETA...come to think of it, I'm an avid collector of Maddelerium's "dolls", so I do hear sometimes things like "Can't wait to see her new doll..."

Post edited by Zai on
  • ArtisanSArtisanS Posts: 209

I spend an evening checking out the Tika bundle.....and indeed, all is in the green according to me. One gripe....hair. But that somehow is a universal problem since Genensis 8 or should I say Iray. Hair seems quite difficult te render in Iray....the opacity maps need to be spot on or hair whisps turn into cassette tape like objects quite suddenly. Last month I was suprised by a dude under the name of Zoro_D that creates excellent hair on that other site. So a quick combination of some trees by Stonemason (Fern lake), hair by Zoro_D and Ava straight out of the Tika bundle....yeps it works IMHO, dress is from the Advent outfit....

Greets

Ava.jpg
    2080 x 1655 - 448K
  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    edited April 2019
    nicstt said:

Just another "Offended" poster.  We all get it.  I try and not discriminate between digital doll creations, but sometimes I just can't help myself!

BTW, Wonderland's posts are just terrific!  There's a term I've heard called 'Romantic Realism' from 2D art paintings that just might apply to her's (and some PA's) pictures posted here. Just another peg in my thoughts to purchase the product!

I'm not offended, although being singled out and then quoted, does irritate me. I said ("seems to me" to be disrespectful). That is there for someone to start a conversation.

Personally, this thread is starting to get a bit personal and at risk of getting locked. Getting locked would be a shame.

nicstt said:

I don't think she meant anything by it - I think when people say "Thorne doll" they just mean that many of Thorne's characters are really cute and doll-like. I don't think it's meant to be disrespectful, but more of a descriptor on the style of the characters. :)

I know that, which is why I said I wasn't aiming at Wonderland; I also got that she was showing those that though of the character as just another doll, what could be done with it.

The toddler is excellent; probably the best (imo) render i've seen of Babies8; although I've not been in the thread since the first day, so take that into consideration.

Post edited by nicstt on
  • CoolBreezeCoolBreeze Posts: 207
    edited April 2019

edit n/m ...

Post edited by CoolBreeze on
  • nattaruknattaruk Posts: 524

I really like the Versa Ponytail and I think the Chief Officer Outfit renders beautifully in 3Delight. I used the boots from the Naomi Sci-Fi Outfit.

By coupling the bomb to the colony's power supply she can triple its yield; she is, however, seriously worried her old hover bike won't get her far enough away in time, (the synthoids are, of course, expendable).

• CoolBreezeCoolBreeze Posts: 207
    nattaruk said:

I really like the Versa Ponytail and I think the Chief Officer Outfit renders beautifully in 3Delight. I used the boots from the Naomi Sci-Fi Outfit.

By coupling the bomb to the colony's power supply she can triple its yield; she is, however, seriously worried her old hover bike won't get her far enough away in time, (the synthoids are, of course, expendable).

Nice render and caption to go with it!

Also nice to see the Chief Officer outfit works with the Naomi boots, or rather the boots will acomodate pants from another set.

• FenixPhoenixFenixPhoenix Posts: 3,028
    nattaruk said:

Synthoids have feelings too D:. Hahahah, joking aside, love it and the description!
  • EJWorksEJWorks Posts: 483

Tika out of he box, but with clothes and hair from older generations. I still love genesis 2 and 3 figures and clothing and love the ability to use them with genesis 8 figures. I have another picture of Tika I'm working on using one of the add-on characters, and then I'm going to do a group picture to compare her with Karyssa and Josie. I wish I had picked up Kaylee, but didn't have the money when she was released and always seem to miss her when she's on sale. There seemed to be a lot of complaints that Tika and these figures are too much alike. While I think there is strong shared style, they are each cute but distingtive.

Tika 01.jpg
    1014 x 878 - 325K
  • Muon QuarkMuon Quark Posts: 552

Anyone know the hair used in the Sonnet for Tika8 main promo page?

https://www.daz3d.com/sonnet-for-tika-8

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,316

https://www.daz3d.com/sultry-bun-hair-for-genesis-3-and-8-females

• Muon QuarkMuon Quark Posts: 552
    scorpio said:

https://www.daz3d.com/sultry-bun-hair-for-genesis-3-and-8-females

Thanks Scorpio!

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,742
    EJWorks said:

Tika out of he box, but with clothes and hair from older generations. I still love genesis 2 and 3 figures and clothing and love the ability to use them with genesis 8 figures. I have another picture of Tika I'm working on using one of the add-on characters, and then I'm going to do a group picture to compare her with Karyssa and Josie. I wish I had picked up Kaylee, but didn't have the money when she was released and always seem to miss her when she's on sale. There seemed to be a lot of complaints that Tika and these figures are too much alike. While I think there is strong shared style, they are each cute but distingtive.

Kaylee is 70% off with one of today's school purchases...

• OdaaOdaa Posts: 1,548
    edited April 2019

Thorne always does AMAZING promos that make me throw whatever it is directly into my cart.. If I were still a child, I’d put them on my wall lol. Daz seriously should pay him/her to do them for their Daz Originals. I know if it’s a Thorne character, the eyes are going to be adorable as are all the characters. I often think Daz’s choice of marketing promos for their original characters is rather poor compared to when the PAs do their own promos for their individual products. That’s why I often check here or @Novica’s art thread for other forum members’ renders or try, I hope, if I can, to show the products in a better light than the Daz promos or at least show alternate versions and love it when others do the same.

Everyone has different tastes though. I passed on Sydney, Tasha and Chow, but I knew right away I liked Tika, even if I have similar models. Some people dislike pretty White girls with a passion, but it’s mostly what I use. So I think it’s good that Daz has something for everyone, and I am one of the people constantly disgruntled with their marketing, glitching prices, errors, etc... But the products I love...

I always had an extreme fondness for the Thorne Pabu promo picture... such a wonderfully sulky look!  I think I bought it for that, alone :-)  None of the promo page pics for Tika seemed to have that kind of style... there aren't even any faeries (I know, just because a figure has big eyes doesn't mean she has to be a faerie, but, c'mon... just one?)

I don't see, really, how anyone could be classifying Tika as a 'pretty white girl', though... the lack of distinct epicanthal fold says Asian, to me. 

Yeah, this seems like the G8 counterpart of the racially ambiguous Sunny 7. As usual with Thorne, she looks well-executed, and I am happy to hear that the character's not being classified as an adult; she doesn't especially look like one to me.

Post edited by Odaa on

Kaylee is 70% off with one of today's school purchases...

Yeah, I saw that shortly after posting. I'd been waiting to get the pro bundle, but opted to just pick up Kaylee's base. Waiting on a group picture to finish rendering right now. Till then, here's one more of just Tika and her Erevan Airy add-on.

Tika 02.jpg
    1371 x 878 - 438K
  • Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,145
    edited April 2019

Finally got a chance to try Tika and the other characters based on her.  

Tika 8 with some borrowed makeup and lashes

Frostine with Suki makeup and lashes

Suki

Ava

Erevan

Tika with Diva Remix Toon shape with post work for linework/more comic book look

tika w borrowed lashes and makeup.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 2M
    Frostine 3 face some suki make up and lashes.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 2M
    suki.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 1M
    Ava.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 1M
    Erevan.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 951K
    tika diva toon shape.jpg
    1589 x 1880 - 2M
    Post edited by Worlds_Edge on

Here's my line up some of the figures some people were comparing Tika to. Kaylee, Tika, Charlotte, Karyssa, and Josie. There's a close up and a full body view. I think each of these girls add value to my gene pool and am glad I have them. I really like Tika's texture in particular. 

Girl line up close up.jpg
    1860 x 878 - 845K
    Girl line up.jpg
    1860 x 878 - 441K
  • murgatroyd314murgatroyd314 Posts: 1,438
    Cybersox said:

On the other hand, the average height in Japan has been going up.

Nutrition is an amazing thing. When I was there one summer in college in 2003 (was that really almost 16 years ago‽), the students of my generation were consistently half a foot taller than their parents, who were in turn half a foot taller than theirs.

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,762
    Cybersox said:

On the other hand, the average height in Japan has been going up.

Nutrition is an amazing thing. When I was there one summer in college in 2003 (was that really almost 16 years ago‽), the students of my generation were consistently half a foot taller than their parents, who were in turn half a foot taller than theirs.

Yep.  When I first started going there in the early 1990s, there were very few places where a foreigner of my size could get replacement clothes or shoes, and when I got on the subway, the "crushes" didn't bother me that much because I was nearly a foot taller than most of the crowd.  Now there are a lot of so called "Sumo" shops that sell clothes that are positively gigantic by the old standards.and teenagers who are as tall as I am.   

• LosingSignalLosingSignal Posts: 409
    edited April 2019

Finally got a chance to work with Tika for a bit.  Avengers: Endgame had to take precidence...

https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/776441

Frostine: Spirit of Winter

Well... at least she's not in a bikini holding a sword in a temple.  Frostine here is straight out of the box.  I think I used low translucency and low specular settings, with High Bump and Strong Normals (though you can't tell since it's not a close up.  The Heather Hair was a bit difficult to work with, taking some adjustments to get it to fit and pose right (and even now, I'm still not happy with it).  For a first render (well, fifth or so after all the screwups), not bad, though I love the mixing I'm seeing here and want to see how she plays with others.

Post edited by LosingSignal on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

@worldsedge   Those are delightful!
    @ejworks   Thanks for showing those comparisons. 
    @losingsignal    I love the pose!

edited April 2019

@Worlds_Edge Thank you for showing a comparison of the Tika 8 characters. I really love the NPR render you did with one of the Toon Tika shapes! :D I love NPR and comic book style renders! 

Post edited by 3Diva on
  • nattaruknattaruk Posts: 524

Queen Tika at Serenity Court. Costume inspired by @Silver.