Tika 8 - thoughts

CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,757
edited April 2019 in The Commons

Since the other thread has an "error" in the title, here's one that's more about what is good or otherwise about the new character.  

Personally, I like the look of her but she's got that generic "Thorne" look again that I suspect I could duplicate with a few minutes and any other Thorne character.  Her Pro Bundle seems to be kind of a random mix. I do like the baseball cap hair, though I already have one from OOT, and the Jyune morph from SIlver is quite nice.  The rest... nothing grabs me.  The "Free content", on the other hand, feels like an out and out cheat since it's almost impossible to get anything current without either leaving a lot of money on the table or paying as much extra as a lot of this stuff sells for normally.  I mean, those I13 sets have all been selling for two bucks for months now and for this offer they count as $11+..?. I'll pick her up eventually, but I'm not going to be in any hurry, even though I've got a Purple bar offer.  Just really getting tired of the DAZ marketing Bait and Switch game...   

Post edited by Cybersox on

Comments

• Midnight_storiesMidnight_stories Posts: 4,112
    edited April 2019

N/A

Post edited by Midnight_stories on
  • frankrblowfrankrblow Posts: 2,052

Another anime character? How many is that now?

I'm not knocking anime, but what does this character add to the G8 gene pool? And that skin texture is... never mind.

• Noah LGPNoah LGP Posts: 2,556
    edited April 2019

I like her african style.

Post edited by Noah LGP on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

First, moderators-  Jyune is shown as being in the Pro Bundle on the Pro Bundle page, but she isn't. 

• MescalinoMescalino Posts: 428

I'm not knocking anime, but what does this character add to the G8 gene pool? And that skin texture is... never mind.

My thoughts as well.

Novica said:

First, moderators-  Jyune is shown as being in the Pro Bundle on the Pro Bundle page, but she isn't. 

this (i believe) was/is allready reported.

• Payat ParinPayat Parin Posts: 980

Not exciting. No morphs, no outrageous makeup, no distinct characterization, no flamboyant outfits; except maybe with the add ons...

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,735

I don’t really see that much different about her and her bundle than the usual, but I do like her and the bundle,even if I already own so much that is similar, this fits into what I do and use. The deal itself is nothing special at all since the “freebies” are all at full price (minus PC+ discount.) I’m just afraid to buy too early because I’ve been burned in the past when better deals come up a few days later.., But, at least this is stuff I can use, although a lot of it is redundant. She’s cute and all her characters are cute, so at least that works for me...

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,735

It’s confusing because it looks like Jyune is in the pro bundle, but it’s actually Frostine...

• AriphaosAriphaos Posts: 66

I seriously despise these knapsack puzzle sale perks.

• just an ordinary morph

• ALLIEKATBLUEALLIEKATBLUE Posts: 2,959
    She's adorable
  • ChadCryptoChadCrypto Posts: 596
    edited April 2019

WOW! We all have bought this already! PLease DAZ!  We all want something new and different. Start spreading your wings. I guess the good thing, I'm saving money this year. We need more different kinds of people. WE have enough pale toon looks the last couple years. Lets get some diversty. I want to use my spending dollar on something new and innovative!

I know you had the Awesome Chow and Woo. yet it would just be good to see something we dont have yet. Where Tika is something we already have! .

Post edited by ChadCrypto on
  • Matt_CastleMatt_Castle Posts: 2,333

Almost entirely missable for me. Without knowing she was supposed to be a new base character, I would assumed she was a Teen Josie morph or the like.

I'm also not sure why you'd choose to name base characters only one letter apart, which has quite a lot of potential for confusion.

Ariphaos said:

I seriously despise these knapsack puzzle sale perks.

That's a good way of phrasing it. Between the samey character and the annoying cheaty deal that seems a deliberate ploy to force you to not get your money's worth (and I'm far too busy this week to try to play that game), she's a "maybe just the base character if she's on heavy discount in a few months".

• Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,142

Entirely adorable!  Love all the add on characters, clothing’s and Diva’s shapes and skin product  plan to scoop up most everything  

• maikdeckermaikdecker Posts: 2,750

As I can't be bothered to try to find out what "If total amount of qualifing items is greater than the discounted amount, the discount will not be applied." is supposed to mean, and as I don't need a figure with Tika's looks - with no female reproduction organs or their textures even in the Pro Pack it seems - it is very easy for me to just let this "sale" pass away peacefully...

• Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 1,979

As I can't be bothered to try to find out what "If total amount of qualifing items is greater than the discounted amount, the discount will not be applied." is supposed to mean, and as I don't need a figure with Tika's looks - with no female reproduction organs or their textures even in the Pro Pack it seems - it is very easy for me to just let this "sale" pass away peacefully...

And there will be those that will buy this character, and then we will get the usual honeymoon period of renders done to show off this character, then silence.. To me anyway the better generations were V3, V4 and Genesis's 1, 2, and 3..  I have bought very little of Genesis 8 and if we are not going to see Creature Creator morphs (which seems likely), since the ones that came with Genesis 3 were the main reason for me buying heavily into Genesis 3..

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

I don’t really see that much different about her and her bundle than the usual, but I do like her and the bundle,even if I already own so much that is similar, this fits into what I do and use. The deal itself is nothing special at all since the “freebies” are all at full price (minus PC+ discount.) I’m just afraid to buy too early because I’ve been burned in the past when better deals come up a few days later.., But, at least this is stuff I can use, although a lot of it is redundant. She’s cute and all her characters are cute, so at least that works for me...

The old addage of, "there is always another sale", always applies when considering a purchase. :) If offers get worse, well, I can wait. I don't have to have it now. I'm a collector, which includes saving my cash; I love collecting money in my bank account too. :)

Considering Tika 8: I'm trying to decide where she fits; younger character or a slightly anime style  or stylised in general character. Don't suppose it matters, as the shape can (and imo always should) be changed.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,022

It means "if you have more than x$ of qualifying items in the cart you get x$ off, they won't appear free".

• She's rather cute (but not nearly as cute as the last Thorne, Anakku, and not so youthful I could maybe understand the anatomy mat shortage).

Incidentally, (and OT) anybody else getting weirdnesss trying to use Anakku on the Beta?

I'm kind of on the fence....

• Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,151
    Novica said:

I've queried Daz as to if it's Jyune or Frostine that should be in the Pro Bundle. Thanks.

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116

I can't get her yet, but I think she's cute. Her and Sonnet went straight into my wishlist. Sonnet caught my eye instantly as she reminds me of Lisa "Left Eye" Lopez (RIP) from the group TLC.

• OZ-84OZ-84 Posts: 128

Sorry, but that seems to be a very lazy offer ... 

Tika herself looks like a generic morphed cartoon char. DAZ didnt even bother to create a HD addon for her. The clothes are also sub standard. 

Only the Versa Cap and Ponytail asset looks crafted with care and detail.

Thats only my personal impression of the bundle. I dont mean to be offensive or whatever. 

Bottomline

Wont spend my money on this. 

• CortexCortex Posts: 109
    edited April 2019

I like her - shes cute.

I need attractive characters under the apparent age of 30 as the player characters and others in my project, and she certainly qualifies, as do her addon characters. This is a treasure trove of DNA bases for me.

Contrary to what some people say, gen 8 is actually low in these characters. (all the Victoria 8 style characters do not qualify)

This isnt anime - not even close (apart from being cute, which is a staple of anime).

Sakura 8 and her addon characters are more the typical modern anime look, and we don't have enough of them in gen 8.

Post edited by Cortex on
  • BeanoutbackBeanoutback Posts: 61
    edited April 2019

I have to agree that, while I respect the work the PA has gone to, I feel that I could dial this character in myself - although be it (ironically) from PAs that allow me to (!). So I suppose a 'not for me' but thanks for those that it benefits. More worryingly I am having concerns over an overall DAZ quality control issue. There's poke through in image 13 of https://www.daz3d.com/tika-8, there's certain spelling issues in the main description of https://www.daz3d.com/little-beauties-for-genesis-8-female plus a few more. We all make mistakes (I'm sure my grammar is a fine example) but surely to keep www.daz3d.com a premium site there should be better quality control? I won't go on about the 'character' and 'characters' sub menus as we all know how frustrating that is.

Or maybe I'm just being picky? In which case I apologise.

Post edited by Beanoutback on
  • mwokeemwokee Posts: 1,275
    I think it depends on what you do. Tika looks great if you need a cartoon-ish character. Me, I need real people. Floyd and Mabel are what I use the most.
  • BohorBohor Posts: 74

More worryingly I am having concerns over an overall DAZ quality control issue. There's poke through in image 13 of https://www.daz3d.com/tika-8

Ah only a little one, a naughty one. ;-) It's ok, I look the other way already ;-)

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,689

I wonder how she looks with a darker skin tone.  She will look cute as one of my characters but that character has more of a mocha skin tone.

• Sorry, not for me. My first reaction when I saw the banner was "Another character for fairy renders. Pass." 

• OdaaOdaa Posts: 1,548

I don't really need an even more age-ambiguous version of Sunny/Mika with a bit of Aiko 3 in the mix, but I kind of like the Chief Officer outfit-it's a good companion to some of the Trek/Galactica influenced male G8 space outfits I've bought.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    edited April 2019

I noticed the poke-through; so easy to fix in post.

But folks make mistakes; it is easy to presume those mistakes mean something (such as a lowering of standards), but all one can be sure of is, someone or someone(s) missed seeing it.

I have to agree that, while I respect the work the PA has gone to, I feel that I could dial this character in myself - although be it (ironically) from PAs that allow me to (!). So I suppose a 'not for me' but thanks for those that it benefits. More worryingly I am having concerns over an overall DAZ quality control issue. There's poke through in image 13 of https://www.daz3d.com/tika-8, there's certain spelling issues in the main description of https://www.daz3d.com/little-beauties-for-genesis-8-female plus a few more. We all make mistakes (I'm sure my grammar is a fine example) but surely to keep www.daz3d.com a premium site there should be better quality control? I won't go on about the 'character' and 'characters' sub menus as we all know how frustrating that is.

Or maybe I'm just being picky? In which case I apologise.

Post edited by nicstt on