I Forgot What My Complaint Was - Complaint Thread

Comments

• starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,667

I spent 15 minutes trying to install DIMM memory card into my motherboard.  I even pushed down on the middle near the notch.  I miss the old SIMM that the older computers used.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,791
    McGyver said:

And yes, the Thamse is the river that goes under London Bridge (though the river part is not all that imperssive, most of what you see in pictures is high-tide).

So when the Dinasaur in the Thames it was high tide?

Gorgo?

No, Peter Capaldi in "Deep Breath"

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,008
    Tjohn said:

Maybe it’s not as cute as I envisioned... I pictured it a little more Magilla Gorilla-like... 

I’m looking at the tire and wondering if that is an off-road unicycle... or maybe gorillas need knobbier tires?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,443

And yes, the Thamse is the river that goes under London Bridge (though the river part is not all that imperssive, most of what you see in pictures is high-tide).

Possibly.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,241
    McGyver said:

Gorgo?

More likely the dinosaur from the near recent Dr. Who episode.  What was it's problem (other than being out of time), oh yes, I think it was lonely?

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

Possibly.

I think this one was seen at high tide

McGyver said:

Gorgo?

More likely the dinosaur from the near recent Dr. Who episode.  What was it's problem (other than being out of time), oh yes, I think it was lonely?

And someone wanted something from it but I forgot what?

Trying to replace my shoes but in a semi stylish way with two laces.  Wait I have another shoe to do?

993746B6-91BF-4653-BA8F-A188A8E4C76F.jpeg
    3264 x 2448 - 1M
  • Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,386

Complaint: It is still only May and we are already having a major heat wave -- 95 degrees and drought conditions

Complaint: It is still only May and we are already having a major heat wave -- 95 degrees and drought conditions

Weather in Raleigh 

E4BE91CF-2154-49FE-9D17-029F8F4A1087.png
    1536 x 2048 - 6M
    Chohole said:

Possibly.

I think this one was seen at high tide

See, if that happened in NYC, right in the middle midtown or Broadway, nobody would look up or notice... maybe a few people, but most would just assume it was a subway rat or the sewer alligators finally got out of hand.

Its not even cellphones, they just gave people a reason not to look or bother... I’ve seen the craziest stuff happen and people would just glance up and keep going like “Megh, I’ve seen worse...” 

I miss good ol’ Gorgo... he was ahead of his time and thoroughly misunderstood...

McGyver said:

Gorgo?

I haven’t seen Dr Who for a while... I’ll have to catch up at some point.

I get accused of getting frustrated because someone asks me to clean my room.  That is not the issue.  The issue is that I do not know when I will be done.  I do not know what standard I need to clean it up to?  I am not Martha Steward or work for Better Homes and Gardens.  I am not perfect but I am trying to get my room in better shape.  I thought I did that but the staff does not seem to agree.

edited May 2019
    McGyver said:
    McGyver said:

Gorgo?

I haven’t seen Dr Who for a while... I’ll have to catch up at some point.

The particular episode I'm thinking of was in the early Peter Capaldi days.  1st episode of the 12th doctor. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkasqFoF308

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on

I want to make coffee for tomorrow but I do not want to set up the coffee maker and then put it away.  Maybe I can make some tea instead?

I want to make coffee for tomorrow but I do not want to set up the coffee maker and then put it away.  Maybe I can make some tea instead?

I’m too lazy to make coffee every morning, so once every other week a make a couple of gallons and strore it in 64 ounce glass jars in the basement fridge.

I hate cleaning the stupidly made coffee maker too... none of those machines make cleaning easy, nothing but the carafe is removable (I hate electric grills for the same reason)... so I only have to clean the machine once instead of every morning.

Actually now, 90% of the time I use a French press which makes better tasting coffee (tastes more like percolated coffee). I still use the coffee machine to heat the water, and the press is a lot easier to clean.

• WinterMoonWinterMoon Posts: 1,893

Complaint: There haven't been enough cats in this thread lately.

edited May 2019

Cats are so yesterday... it’s gorillas on unicycles now.

E1DCC2B6-ECE8-45DF-A490-6DB430BD07E1.jpeg
    1391 x 1258 - 1M
    Post edited by McGyver on

Is this a cat?

D439D924-0E88-4B5E-A2E9-FEA45F1A1832.jpeg
    512 x 402 - 64K

Non complaint I got a free BBQ grilled chicken sandwich today.  Complaint I got some Barbecue sauce on my work shirt.

edited May 2019

I've been drinking coffee for more than half a century and have sampled many types both here and in Europe yet I do not understand what is so exclusively wonderful about perked or steamed coffee, or the coffee sold in boutiques.indecision  Granted there are some really horrible coffee brands out there, bitter, biting, acidy, gag-me-with-a-spoon type of coffee.no  But there is at least one brand of instant (though not particularly cheap) coffee that I am happy to drink.yes  It solves the problem of cleaning the apparatus.  I just rinse and dry the spoon.cheeky  But, perhaps if one is after an electric caffeine high that makes one's eyeballs jitter then it's possible to brew it that way and make it palatable with enough cream, sugar, and pretty designs on the top but it's not my idea of a soothing cup of simple black coffee. 

I've been around long enough to have observed that anything evaluated by subjective measures can attract self-declared "experts" motivated by one aspect or another to create heirarchies and declare superlatives and try to extract exorbitant profits from them from the groupies that swallow and extol the latest trend.  (Art and wine come immediately to mind)indecision 

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

i resisted the k machine for years. caved when i had a guest mix of caff and decaff.

one day i might actually get me one of those microwaves.

like in 5th element, she put a pea in, button, bam, big tray of dead chicken.
    and that was from a pea, imagine what a brussel sprout would turn into

edited May 2019

Complaint:  Arghhh... I can't make a decent pan of salmon patties anymore.  I end up with salmon crumbs. angry  My ceramic "non-stick" pan has reached the end of it's useful life as a non-stick pan.sad  I've kvetched about this here before and received some useful information about the possible fixes or futility of fixing said pan.  I have a brand new identical one but am loathe to begin its inevitable decent into pergatory (or wherever non-stick pans go when they lose their non-stick license).  However, I guess it's time to unwrap the new pan and take what I've learned about preserving non-stickiness from its 2 previous incarnations, and try to save it from going down the same path quite as quickly(about 2 years). 

But does anybody have any suggestions on how to make salmon patties (salmon, eggs, flour) in a pan and keep it from sticking to the pan?  (No, I'm not going to get a cast iron pan I don't like them.cheeky)  I've tried adequate lubricant in the pan but as soon as I dump the salmon mush into the pan it squooshes the oil to the edge of the pan and once a non-stick pan has lost any of its slick, the center of the pan filling patty burns onto the bottom of the pan, and the edges of the patty are soggy with oil. crying

But until I dig out my new pan I may have to learn how to make salmon crumb gravy or press the crumbs into a salmon burger after they're cooked. enlightened

Edited to add:  I make my salmon patties by filling the bottom of the large pan to a depth of about 1/2 inch, cooking for 6 minutes on low, quartering the large patty and flipping the quarters in-situ and cooking for another 6-7 minutes.  Yields four wedges of salmon patty that I refrigerate for meals or cold munching snacks.  Works great until the pan loses its slick.

i stymied again. in adobe acrobat

cant find how to set the default font size for the add text tool.

its defaulting to 11, i need a minimum 14

acrobat format defaults.JPG
    287 x 621 - 42K
  • DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,107
    McGyver said:

I’m too lazy to make coffee every morning, so once every other week a make a couple of gallons and strore it in 64 ounce glass jars in the basement fridge.

I hate cleaning the stupidly made coffee maker too... none of those machines make cleaning easy, nothing but the carafe is removable (I hate electric grills for the same reason)... so I only have to clean the machine once instead of every morning.

Actually now, 90% of the time I use a French press which makes better tasting coffee (tastes more like percolated coffee). I still use the coffee machine to heat the water, and the press is a lot easier to clean.

We have a George Forman Lean Mean Grilling Machine.  Works really well and it's easy to clean!  I've done up swordfish steaks and T-bone steaks on it...great results, and, as I said, easy clean-up!

Dana

edited May 2019

I've been drinking coffee for more than half a century and have sampled many types both here and in Europe yet I do not understand what is so exclusively wonderful about perked or steamed coffee, or the coffee sold in boutiques.indecision  Granted there are some really horrible coffee brands out there, bitter, biting, acidy, gag-me-with-a-spoon type of coffee.no  But there is at least one brand of instant (though not particularly cheap) coffee that I am happy to drink.yes  It solves the problem of cleaning the apparatus.  I just rinse and dry the spoon.cheeky  But, perhaps if one is after an electric caffeine high that makes one's eyeballs jitter then it's possible to brew it that way and make it palatable with enough cream, sugar, and pretty designs on the top but it's not my idea of a soothing cup of simple black coffee. 

I've been around long enough to have observed that anything evaluated by subjective measures can attract self-declared "experts" motivated by one aspect or another to create heirarchies and declare superlatives and try to extract exorbitant profits from them from the groupies that swallow and extol the latest trend.  (Art and wine come immediately to mind)indecision 

I think it’s mostly perception... Mermaid logos confuse people... I also think when people go into a place that has a heavy coffee smell billowing out the doors, they incorporate that into the experience and their perception of the taste.

But, different kinds of beans do have a taste difference... brewing methods can make a difference too.

Personal tastes vary as well...

For me, one thing I noticed a long time ago was that many times I’d go to an event or a wedding and the coffee was delicious... a few of the places the events were held at were restaurant/catering halls... when I’d go for something like Sunday brunch, the coffee tasted different... okay, not delicious.

Why was that?

I started to ask waiters if they could tell me what brand the coffees were when I came across one I really liked... on two occasions I actually tracked down the coffee and bought some, but it wasn’t anything like it tasted at the events... 

At some point at one place I noticed that they used regular dinner style coffee makers (one carafe at a time) for brunch, but for a big party in the next room they had a huge old industrial (probably 3 gallon or more) electric percolator...

I also noticed at another event that the coffee I liked usually left behind a fine “sediment” (not grinds)... 

My guess was the flavor I liked was based on percolating coffee cooking longer and using a metal filter (many of the old electric percolators have reusable metal screen filters)... regular coffee filters drop hot water onto the grinds, which immediately filters through a very fine paper filter which removes any fine particulate material (which contributes to the flavor)... the percolators keep bubbling up the hot coffee over the grinds over and over... building the flavor...

I guess.

None of the affordable stovetop percolators produced the same flavor, probably because they lack the same filter type as the big machine... So one day I tried a cheap French press and it came close enough to producing the flavor I liked... it also eliminated the need to clean out the stupid coffee maker.

Yeah, I actually analyzed it that much... and that’s not ever a tenth of the nonsense effort I put into figuring out what was special about that taste or how to simulate it.

But it’s all personal taste... also I tend to do stuff like that... going to stupid lengths to figure out why something inane is the way it is.

Nevermind my making tools for specific purposes or having unique methods of doing things.

This aspect of my nature is an endless source of frustration to my wife who is the opposite of me in that regard... She’ll be like “Oh for gods sake, it’s just a bamboo spatula, stop fixing it”... and I’ll be like “its got the perfect radius to scoop out the edges of the pan and stop stuff from sticking and burning, and it’s the perfect hardness and not too fiberous so the edges aren’t stringy if you sand it”.

Post edited by McGyver on
  • starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,667
    edited May 2019

I'm tempted to create a big scene in Daz Studio to see how much system RAM the scene will use.  I might run out of video memory first before I use 4 GB of system memory.

Post edited by starionwolf on
    McGyver said:

I think it’s mostly perception... Mermaid logos confuse people... I also think when people go into a place that has a heavy coffee smell billowing out the doors, they incorporate that into the experience and their perception of the taste.

But, different kinds of beans do have a taste difference... brewing methods can make a difference too.

Personal tastes vary as well...

For me, one thing I noticed a long time ago was that many times I’d go to an event or a wedding and the coffee was delicious... a few of the places the events were held at were restaurant/catering halls... when I’d go for something like Sunday brunch, the coffee tasted different... okay, not delicious.

Why was that?

I started to ask waiters if they could tell me what brand the coffees were when I came across one I really liked... on two occasions I actually tracked down the coffee and bought some, but it wasn’t anything like it tasted at the events... 

At some point at one place I noticed that they used regular dinner style coffee makers (one carafe at a time) for brunch, but for a big party in the next room they had a huge old industrial (probably 3 gallon or more) electric percolator...

I also noticed at another event that the coffee I liked usually left behind a fine “sediment” (not grinds)... 

My guess was the flavor I liked was based on percolating coffee cooking longer and using a metal filter (many of the old electric percolators have reusable metal screen filters)... regular coffee filters drop hot water onto the grinds, which immediately filters through a very fine paper filter which removes any fine particulate material (which contributes to the flavor)... the percolators keep bubbling up the hot coffee over the grinds over and over... building the flavor...

I guess.

None of the affordable stovetop percolators produced the same flavor, probably because they lack the same filter type as the big machine... So one day I tried a cheap French press and it came close enough to producing the flavor I liked... it also eliminated the need to clean out the stupid coffee maker.

Yeah, I actually analyzed it that much... and that’s not ever a tenth of the nonsense effort I put into figuring out what was special about that taste or how to simulate it.

But it’s all personal taste... also I tend to do stuff like that... going to stupid lengths to figure out why something inane is the way it is.

Nevermind my making tools for specific purposes or having unique methods of doing things.

This aspect of my nature is an endless source of frustration to my wife who is the opposite of me in that regard... She’ll be like “Oh for gods sake, it’s just a bamboo spatula, stop fixing it”... and I’ll be like “its got the perfect radius to scoop out the edges of the pan and stop stuff from sticking and burning, and it’s the perfect hardness and not too fiberous so the edges aren’t stringy if you sand it”.

the trouble with perkolating, how do you know when it's done?

when the toaster dings, there no uncertainty if my pop tarts are done.

Chohole said:
    Mystarra said:

is the Thames the river that goes under London Bridge?

apples the only fruit that grows in orchards?

oranges grow in groves.

Pumpkins in patches.

corn and potatoes grow in fields.

grapes in vineyards.

Apples. Pears, Plums, Cherries, Apricots, Peaches, Nuts, - all deciduous trees that produce fruit for food (I have probably missed some)  grow in orchards.

Middle English, from Old English ortgeard, from ort- (from Latin hortus garden) + geard   yard 

Yard    Middle English, from Old English geard enclosure,

cherry orchards!

thanks.

I'm tempted to create a big scene in Daz Studio to see how much system RAM the scene will use.  I might run out of video memory first before I use 4 GB of system memory.

Be careful about creating a big scene at DAZ, they may call the police on you or have you escorted out of the building.

This discussion has been closed.