Newb Questions

I messed around with Daz along time ago but just got back into it wanting to learn it seriously. However I am obviously a 42 year "old" newb and have some newb questions. Newb question one "saves" I did a simple render following the you tube  tutorial and when I went to save or save as it came up with daz tuct .duf file only and then it asked are you sure you want to over write this? being it would not let me make another file or at least let me put anything in it. I didnt know what to do? so i looked up somethings and all i found was something about merging it so I did and when i did I found my saved first time render and copied onto a new file on my desktop somewhere in daz files. However when I go back in to daz to open it, it is no where to be found the files do not exist or i am not finding the right file again.Also if I go into the daz practice file it now has the original beginner project i was doing and never saved and the one I did saved all in the same scene. So a. how do I actually save a render being I remember it to be simple before but not so now?. b. where are these saves? so I can acess them? how can I actually make a true save. Also I am alittle confused on the whole licensing thing. If I make a render and I just want to send a pic to a friend to show them do I have to pay for a license?. If one day I get actually good understanding a simple thing like saving a file and actually being able to open it again:) can I sell the art?. Meaning if I buy assests create render can I sell it as a picture or do I need a licence?. I do understand the fact if it used for gaming just not the other. I am trying to learn this and hexagon and soon to be unreal engine 4. In which leads me to another question on hexagon? I am running windows 10 i5 2500k proc and a gtx 1070 ti on a rig I built awhile back. I read that hexagon is not for 64 bit and so I read about the beta. So I found the beta clicked on add to cart got invoice in email but never got it in dim?. I did this twice...I thank you for your time and hope some patient soul can answer this old outdated dudes questions:). It took me awhile to just learn how to mod a game so patience is appreciated lol.

Comments

• a) File>Save Last Render, or if you rnder to a new window you can use the fields at the bottom of that window to save (it defaults to saving to your Render Library, but you can use the icon next to the library name to switch to saving to a folder).

b) You can set your Render Library location using the render Library Manager, which can be launched from the Render Library pane's option menu (the lined button in the top corner, or right-click the tab).

File>save or File>Save As>Scene save the scene, not the render, and will act as a Save As in both cases until you set an author name (Edit>Preferences) to avoid accidentally overwriting content files - File>Save will perform an unprompted save only if the sene has the same author as DS' current setting.

• SixDsSixDs Posts: 2,384

As for your second question, if you go here:

https://www.daz3d.com/hexagon-beta

and look under

HOW TO INSTALL:

Step 1 should explain why you are not seeing it in DIM. Unhide and you should see it.

• Ok thank you all very much for your answers:) I really don;t think I have been anywhere that people actually answer without a catch. I will surely look into it today and see what I can do. Also one other question if I decided to go with victoria 8 can I get cloths that I see for genesis 2 or 3? being I have read 8 is backwards compatible? or it really is not that backwards compatible? Just wondering with the whole cloths thing so I dont waste $$. I at least figured out the hair thing lol.

• JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,744
    edited November 2018

Studio will allow you to auto-conform clothing from Genesis, Genesis 2, or Genesis 3 onto a Genesis 8 character. However, the results aren't always 100% the same as if they were fit onto the character generation they were designed for. There are a couple of options to get better results.

@Sickleyield has a video tutorial on Converting Clothes and Shoes between Genesis 3 and 8

Sickleyield and RiverSoft Art have also worked together to create several conversion tools which will perform that manual process for an entire wardrobe of older clothing. With the older generations (Genesis and Genesis 2) it isn't just automating the process, the scripts perform actions that produce superior results to just changing metadata and transferring rigging.

And (for completeness) there are also male equivalents...

There are also a couple of converters that go the reverse direction, from Gen 8 to an earlier generation, but if you're starting out, I would focus your figures on Genesis 8 and use conversions like this to take advantage of deals on older clothing.

Post edited by JonnyRay on
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    edited November 2018

And as far as making art and selling it using Daz resources, you do not have to purchase a license for that.  You only need to purchase a license if you are going to be making games and the like with the resources. You can also send any pictures you want to anyone you want, as long you don't send the actual 3d prop.  So any art you make with your 3d resources is fine to share anywhere, the actual prop itself, is not okay to share.

Post edited by IceDragonArt on
  • Thanks Johnny Ray what is the difference between converter, sy clothing fit helper and sy ultrta templates? i am seriously just trying to get what I need and things that will make my life alittle bit easier when it comes to all this so far I have on my list Victoria 8 pro bundle, body morphs, head morphs,hair,some back drops,lighting..am I on the right track? budget ya know lol

• Thank you Sonja (IceDragon) I think I am understanding now maybe? so what you are saying is if I use the base model of 8 essentials or Victoria 8 and render it that is not ok? I think maybe? But if I use another character that uses 8 it is ok? or am I not understanding the prop thing?

• Also this Iray thing I take it that it is part of 4.10 and comes with it? Just wondering cause I see it on alot of the store stuff and I am scratching my head.

• Ok I have one major question before i have a heart attack lol. I am mostly interested in scfi and fantasy. When I look at the store at victoria 8 I do not see much but for Victoria 4 I see everything under the sun..... As a newb that just wants to create what would you suggest victoria 8 or victoria 4? I am trying to hit this while the sale is going being I do not know how long it is going to last?. If it goes away it will be the end for me for awhile lol. Please help..:)

• KitsumoKitsumo Posts: 1,210

Also this Iray thing I take it that it is part of 4.10 and comes with it? Just wondering cause I see it on alot of the store stuff and I am scratching my head.

Iray support was included with Daz Studio starting in 4.8, so any newer version will have Iray support. If you're asking what Iray is, that's a whole other story.

Ok I have one major question before i have a heart attack lol. I am mostly interested in scfi and fantasy. When I look at the store at victoria 8 I do not see much but for Victoria 4 I see everything under the sun..... As a newb that just wants to create what would you suggest victoria 8 or victoria 4? I am trying to hit this while the sale is going being I do not know how long it is going to last?. If it goes away it will be the end for me for awhile lol. Please help..:)

If you're choosing a figure to go with, V4 would definitely be cheaper, but V4 and her content were made for a much older version of Daz Studio/Poser. So the models will have lower resolution geometry and textures. There's still some new content being made for V4, but the character and clothes don't have High Definition morphs and other enhancements that V8 has.

• Ak ok thank you, thank you Kitsumo!! Ok I actually did find a bunch of sci fi stuff for 8 I just got lost or something or got blinded lol. I guess I might as well start off with the new so I do not have to upgrade. I guess iray is included with daz from what I see on nvidia site and is what you are saying? I do knwo it has something to do with rendering lol. I am just new to all these new terms and stuff on things I did not know existed being I am out dated. I guess I will also get that converter for at least 8-3 for now.My list is way to long and has exceeded the limit for the paper god. I thank you all for the answers being I am not up to par obviously.

Thank you Sonja (IceDragon) I think I am understanding now maybe? so what you are saying is if I use the base model of 8 essentials or Victoria 8 and render it that is not ok? I think maybe? But if I use another character that uses 8 it is ok? or am I not understanding the prop thing?

You can use any assets in the store for personal or commercial renders and art work.  You just cant share the actually 3d object.  In other words, you could not gift someone Victoria 8 herself but you can give a render or piece of artwork that you made using her.

• KitsumoKitsumo Posts: 1,210

Iray is a rendering engine made by Nvidia which you probably already figured out. Daz has licensed it, so the Iray renderer is available in Daz Studio. It's biggest selling point is that it's GPU accelerated, although it only works with Nvidia GPUs. Your 1070 should do fine. Most newer content in the store (last 4 years or so) has Iray support, which you should see in the product description.

• Awesome:) Thanks Sonja I totally understand now obviously I didn't before. That makes learning all of this even more worth it.

• Kitsumo thanks Glad to here my gpu will handle it sure glad I had upgraded that from the antique I had lol.

• Another noob question:) If any content says compatible software "daz studio" is it compatible with daz 4.10? I know probably stupid question but it has some relevence to it.

• Another noob question:) If any content says compatible software "daz studio" is it compatible with daz 4.10? I know probably stupid question but it has some relevence to it.

Probably, but not certainly.

• Ok thanks so it is kind of like a roulette wheel.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,155

The good thing is that if you take a chance on the item and it doesn't work, you can return the product within 30 days for a refund. Just submit a help request to the Sales department.

• PaintboxPaintbox Posts: 1,633

Ok thanks so it is kind of like a roulette wheel.

Not at all, tbh everytime I bought something here and it said it supported DAZ Studio in the product panel, it worked out of the box. Some products need the latest version (4.10) , usually utilities and tools and such. So no need to be fearful about that, and like barbult mentions, there is a return policy.

• Ah well thank you both I did not know about the return thing either. Oh ok well I am glad to  hear that because their was a bunch of stuff I had wanted that said Daz studio only. I have two other questions lol. I had watched a tutorial where this guy showed in store credit does this still exist? and do I have to keep my credit card saved to get it? If I do then I am mad because I never saved it for the purchases I have bought (paranoid)lol. Also can someone tell me when this holiday sale ends? I would probably guess the end of decemeber.

Store credit is only there if you have purchased a gift card or recieved a refund, you do not need to keep your credit card on file, and daz does not offer anything like a credit card, only gift cards that are purchased through the shop.

Honestly, there is no telling when a holiday sale, or any sale for that matter, will end around here, unless it specifically says in the wording.  And even that isn't always set in stone...

• Ah ok that is good to know as far as credit card at least I am not losing out on anything. I think the store already broke me for awhile lol. IceDragon art are you the same one that has the tutorials up? If so I am getting some one day when I am rich lol. Once I learn Daz better I want to learn Hexagon to make stuff cloths,hair etc, it will probably be awhile. Can You tell me your thoughts on my first render and how bad it is as far as ligthing and Camera?. I have not even tried to use my Paint program as I just got Paintshop pro 2019 and trying to figure it out.

Learning.png
    1622 x 1241 - 2M
    edited December 2018

Yes, that is my tutorial that is currently on sale. Digital Art hosts quite a few different artists who do tutorials, so if you get a chance you might also want to check out some of the other ones available.  I know exactly what you mean about the Daz Store putting a hole in ones wallet!

as far as your image goes its far better than my first render lol! (you can see it in my thread, its really bad!)  Check and see if you have your headlamp turned on or off as she is a bit blown out by the lighting.  If its on, just turn it off and see how much light you have left in the scene. If its too dark without it, you can try a three point light system to light her up, with one of those being a rim light behind her to show the moonlight that's rising behind her. 

I would also go and check out the New Users Contests and Events forum. Not only is it a lot of fun, its a huge resource for everything about learing Daz Studio.  This forum probably cut my learning curve in half.  Even if you don't want to join in there is a wealth of information in each thread (each month they do a different theme, from posing, to lighting to materials etc.)

There are also some super good tips on modelling in the Carrara forum here at Daz.  They cover modelling in Hexagon and Blender as well as Carrara.  One of these days I am going to find the time to jump back in and learn to model as well.  But the Carrara folks are the ones who helped me with the tiny bit of modelling I do know how to do lol.

Post edited by IceDragonArt on
  • Well thankyou, it did look pretty bright around her. Where is your thread? or how to acess? I checked your post work, website and rest in which I might add "wow"  very nice. I take it you have been doing this awhile. I will surely check out the stuff you suggested the more help the better. I would like to ask something else about saves I think I figured it out well sort of.But it seems it will only save one project at a time is this normal? It saves into the duf and once I "save as" all others are gone but the one project I am working on. I tried what you said about the head lamp on a new fantasy one I worked on being science fiction and fantasy is my my main source of happiness lol. I think it came out alot better but I missed something with the background possibly the light set that was with it lol. But it could be just the storm rolling in yea thats it:). Still better without headlamp. I thank you for your help, I am sure I will be asking a few more things every now and then as well.

Uncertain Elf Closeup.png
    1622 x 1241 - 3M
    Uncertain Elf.png
    1622 x 1241 - 4M

Glad I could help!  And thank you for the kind words.  I started using Daz three years ago September.  So, a little bit of time invested anyway lol. (I actually render almost every day at least one sometimes two or three images a day, but that's just been the last year or so)

My thread is here in the Art Studio.  If you want to keep track of your work and get opinions and help, you can start one of your own threads there as well, people are always willing to help out.  Plus, its a nice way to keep track of things and to see how you are improving.

The lighting is much better in this next one.  I like the one that is cropped better, but I think if you used the portrait render setting and put the whole girl in the frame like you have on the second one but c loser like you have on the first (hope that made sense) It will put the focus on the elf.

• Ah ok I found it, wow such progression hope I progress like that:). I don't know much about forums and what you can and cannot do being I am not very social and do not use any social networks but yout tube,steam and now this lol. So did not know I could start my own thread for keeping track of my progress and for more help. I also did not know about render portrait setting so hey I am learning already guess the other one was by chance lol. Probably a render or two a day will be in my roster as well for most days I seriously want to get better and better. One of the other things that has got me stumped is Dforce. I had gotten a cloth set that comes with a cushion and for the life of me I cannot drape the cloth over the cushion like In the picture. I have tried everything or at least think I have I can do almost anything else but manipulating the cloth to drape downwards on the sides, also material color does not seem to take unless I am doing something wrong. I had gotten a hair set that was for genesis 3 and 8 being I use only 8 base right now. But the hair just dont go and has a window that pops up talking about compatibility , when I put 3 and hair the hair is still messed up like distorted. Its the only hair I have a problem with but I only have like 4 for now so I was hoping this would work because it has many options.

Around here you can be as social or anti social as you please lol.  Everyone here is really very nice and extremely helpful, so no need to worry about interacting. 

As far as Dforce goes, check out this thread, it answers just about any questions you might have and you can always post exactly what you are trying to do and someone will be able to help.  I'm not that great at Dforce yet myself.

For the materials make sure that you have both the item selected in the scene tab AND selected under the surfaces tab.  You have to have it selected on both in order to switch materials.

• That is good lol, I am not used to nice that is why I am not to social, but hey I am trying. Oh my thanks for the thread I have alot of reading to go. Also I think that might be the reason is the material may not have been selected. This will take awhile that is why I havent even bothered with hexagon yet or really study paintshop pro yet,cause one thing at a time.This thing "Daz" got many things lol. Though I do watch tutorials on the other stuff, to slowly get aquainted with it as I am learning this. I am sure I will make a thread here soon if I can figure it out. Today was mostly taken up by studying what not to do when taking a photo and lighting better. I will learn this one way or another next month will be dedicated to buying tutorials. Thank you again for your help I am sure I will be asking again but trying to not be so bothersome lol.

No bother at all!  Seriously, one of the reasons I am where I am is because everyone has been so helpful when I have questions or run into something I can't figure out as well.  Always a pleasure to be able to pass it on.