Carrara 9 feature request

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

piersyf said:
    I'd never noticed the change to pause... and no, it's not an animation. Breaking frames I could do, but this was a single frame. It's woodlands with sun, GI and raytracing. I like the look, understand it will take a long time, I'd just like the capacity to manage when I have full access to my system.

I'll have to look for the pause button and see if that's what I wanted... thanks for the 'heads up'!

You must use the Batch renderer to use the pause function, and it can pause renders of still images. Whatever buckets aren't done rendering when you pause are the first ones completed when you resume the render. It can take a little bit to close the file, so give Carrara some time to do it and don't assume it has hung up.

• edited December 1969

Cheers evilproducer. I spotted it in the batch render page. I hadn't looked there before because I don't so animations, and don't have a render network, so never saw a need for 'batch'. It does make sense (in hindsight) that if there was a pause button it would be there (to pause the list), but a similar function on the main render settings page would have been useful too. I had noticed that it took a while for Carrara to release the cores after pausing. The first time I thought it had hung, but before forcing a crash I decided to open task manager, where I could see the cores slowly being released, so I let it go.
    It is pretty much what I wanted (apart from the automated start and finish times), but I would say that you should be aware of how long it takes for an average tile to render and make sure you can run the render for at least that long, or it won't work. Carrara does pick up where you paused it, except it starts any unfinished tile from scratch.
    I've been spending a bit more time with it, getting to know the program better. Still a long way to go.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

As with anything it all depends on what you are doing. It's definitely not or everything, though for my part it is an integral tool for any complicated scene that I do. You mileage may vary of course, and what is right for me, may not be a good fit for someone else.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,187
    edited December 1969

Batch Queuing is very handy for ANY render jobs, not just animation.

For Example:

Setting up multiple cameras in the same scene for different points of angle

Setting up different lighting or other effects at different points along the timeline, allowing you to pick from multiple shots of the same scene too grab the best of the best

Rendering the same shot using entirely different render settings (every time you enter a scene to the Batch Queue, you have FULL access to all render settings, so you may add the same scene multiple times, changing the render settings for each queue)

Of course, we may also do combinations of all of the above examples, and more.

When we're not animating, the timeline is free for anything you want to do, since we would then only be rendering a still at an exact frame. So we may change light colors, some aspects of shaders, posing and other positioning, atmospheric effects... you name it. The in-between frames won't matter, in principle. But we might want to see (render) some of those in-between frames too, just to see what comes of it.

Also, when I had to do all of my renders on my Core2Duo, I could design my scenes, only to have them render as I slept, which worked great because after I awoke, I had to go to work for the day, so I could get a lot of rendering done while I was away. Get more cores, and I still find the method extremely useful!

• MaxfieldHalwaMaxfieldHalwa Posts: 4
    edited December 1969

Being able to save a sequenced png animation as digits with no name would be nice. This would make exporting animations into Construct 2 for use in 2d games more efficient as it would be more compatible with their animation file system. ie I cannot use anything past 099 frames because the 0 has to be entered as the file name and cannot changed to 1 during rendering.

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

HI MaxfieldHalwa :)

Have you tried using an underscore character,. EG: _

Then you should be able to have _000 to _999 or whatever you need.

You could also use an image editor to rename a Batch of exported (Named sequence) files, such as Corel PaintShop-Pro

I'd also suggest that you post a reciprocal feature request on the "Construct 2" site,. asking them to allow the importation of "Named file sequences" . as this is the most common (and logical) way to save a sequenced file,. (with a name, rather than without any identifier)

Hope it helps. ;)

• That Other PersonaThat Other Persona Posts: 381
    edited August 2014

Batch queue is very handy. Set a batch a go out to dinner! Or away for the weekend!

I think there are several elements of the UI that need resizing (the possibility to choose between 2 or 3 sizes would be awesome). Things can get rather small on a 27 display and I am considering a 4K monitor... Fonts are a must. Also, various handles and tools and line selection.

Post edited by That Other Persona on
  • Eric3dddEric3ddd Posts: 67
    edited December 1969

This is a wish list I sent to Eovia exactly 12 years ago, soon after the release of Carrara 2. Some of these are still on my wish list today for Carrara 9. Some were incorporated in subsequent releases.

Here is my wishlist. Some wishes were mentioned before on the list but they are a little more organized here. I reserve the right to add wishes to this list at any time.

Overall
    =======
    - Selection improvement: pressing cap lock or holding a key would prevent additional selection or deselection, but only allow rotating, moving,...
    - Nudge: arrow keys should move the selection up, down, right and left and option-arrow for forward and backward. Nudge increment is set in the preferences.
    - Hot Point: should be locked by default. option to hide or show an object's hot point in properties tray.

Shader
    ======
    - View different portions of a complex shader individually in color (for example, view a bump map in B+W to align it properly, then let it be just a bump map).
    - UV Mapper features built-in.

Vertex Modeler
    ==============
    - Symmetry: whether modeling a face or a car, many models are symmetrical. Let's make this automatic.
    - Import images as templates.
    - Nudge.
    - Select/reveal adjacent vertices/polygons: so you can expand a selection to the next connected vertices or to see a little more area around what wou're working on.
    - Lock selected vertices.
    - Name and apply different shaders to groups of polygons.
    - Hide/Show edges and vertices.
    - Hide/Show working box/drawing plane.
    - More easily identifiable/selectable drawing plane.
    - Select through polygons in wireframe mode instead of selecting front polygon.

Bones
    =====
    - Symmetry: why do we have to do the work twice?
    - Fix influence bug.
    - Influence preview in the VM (colored edges + vertices)
    - Hide/Show skeleton option.
    - Handles for bones buried deep in the body or hard to access.
    - Allow more than one skeleton in an object (hands and overall body)
    - Allow editing vertices when skeleton is attached (or at least an option to save/load the influence settings if we have to detach the skeleton)

Modifiers
    =========
    - Pop-up list to choose target object instead of having to type its name,
    - Half extended view that shows only name, slider and position #. That would allow to show more sliders in the properties tray.
    - More descriptive modifiers names in the Sequencer (like morph target names).

Constraints
    ===========
    - Make limit sliders a different color from position slider.
    - Option to lock limits.
    - Holding L key selects closest limit slider. holding O key selects object slider.
    - Zoom into rotation limits?

Sequencer
    =========
    - Labels or flags: to write a description of a time period or event (i.e., "closes door", "walks to chair", "sits down",...)
    - More descriptive modifiers names (see above).
    - Snap option that actually snaps.
    - vertical grid: to see if 2 events line up in time.
    - Hide inactive tracks,... doesn't seem to work
    - View only specific sets of track at a time (i.e., bones when working on body motion, face controls when working on the expressions)
    - Holding space bar should switch to hand cursor and allow moving around in the sequencer.

Render
    ======
    - Fix Quicktime save+crash bug.
    - Save Quicktime compression options (they keep resetting to video).
    - Customizable render presets: to switch from "wireframe animatic 320x240" mode to "high-res raytraced 640x480" mode in one easy step.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073

Geoshell that can be set to soft body physics. 

The soft body physics engine would be a great native cloth drape if the Carrara had a geoshell function that cold be set to a soft body object.  Soft body against soft body drapes very well now.

• Wow even a Carrara 9 feature request thread is a necro thread angry

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,017
    head wax said:

DUDU_00001 said:

dot_bat said:

DUDU_00001 thats it thanx

Thanks to "CarraraCafe"...;-)

http://carraracafe.com/news/border-rendering-tool/

that's a great tool, thank you

Seems that the site is dead and I cannot find the file myself, does anyone have a local copy that we can upload to CarraraCafe?

There are a few feature requests that got solved by faster CPU's and GPU rendering with Octane/Luxus...

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
    3drendero said:

There are a few feature requests that got solved by faster CPU's and GPU rendering with Octane/Luxus...

That's true. I still render some stuff in Carrara, but Octane is my main renderer now, so good!

• 3drendero said:
    head wax said:

DUDU_00001 said:

dot_bat said:

Seems that the site is dead and I cannot find the file myself, does anyone have a local copy that we can upload to CarraraCafe?

3drendero, I made something similar a couple of years back. 

3drendero said:
    head wax said:

DUDU_00001 said:

dot_bat said:

Very cool! I own that now! I think I own the other one too, I just cannot seem to find it. I bet it was on my Carrara laptop that quit on me :(

Thanks for this stringtheory!!! 

edited February 2017
    3drendero said:
    head wax said:

DUDU_00001 said:

dot_bat said:

Thanks, updated the original news piece with the alternative tool.

If anyone still has the other file, please contact me so we can update CarraraCafe.

Post edited by 3drendero on
  • stringtheory9stringtheory9 Posts: 411
    edited February 2017

You're welcome Dartanbeck and 3drendero. Hope it comes in handy!

Post edited by stringtheory9 on
  • VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235
    edited February 2017

It would be nice to have the following handy addons in Carrara:

1. Lattice-some feature like as stick'n'balls or lattice modifier in 3d max of wireframe addon in Blender.

2. Replication on surface faces and vertices addon like in Hexagon or Silo.

3. Following path addon or curve modifier like in Blender (this feature makes object or the whole array deformation according to the vector curve in the scene).

Screen Shot 2017-02-22 at 10.58.40 AM.png
    1086 x 993 - 383K
    Screen Shot 2017-02-22 at 11.04.50 AM.png
    1261 x 930 - 997K
    Screen Shot 2017-02-22 at 11.06.29 AM.png
    1450 x 880 - 1M
    Post edited by Vyusur on
    edited February 2017

If I understand the lattice concept, you can do that pretty easily:

- Select the faces that you want to make into a lattice

- Use the extrude tool without selecting Link Polygons so that each face extrudes separately and use the Shift key to extrude in the plane of the polys - set the required width before releasing the mouse button

- While the extruded polys are still selected, press Delete - and there you have a lattice.

- You can optionally apply smoothing to create rounder holes, Add Thickness, etc

Post edited by PhilW on

Phil, it's not exactly the same thing. Say, in Blender I could make a lattice ring in one click, but in Carrara it will take a hundred years to achieve the same task. The goal is not worth it.

Screen Shot 2017-02-22 at 12.18.30 PM.png
    1429 x 590 - 165K
    Screen Shot 2017-02-22 at 12.18.43 PM.png
    924 x 402 - 84K
    Screen Shot 2017-02-22 at 12.20.14 PM.png
    1039 x 665 - 64K
    Screen Shot 2017-02-22 at 12.21.30 PM.png
    1008 x 594 - 74K
  • magaremotomagaremoto Posts: 1,226

- alembic and fbx import/export, in a way that pros can take into account carrara as a viable tool for the pipeline  (degree of difficulty: POOR)

- real time previz (degree of difficulty: LOW/MEDIUM)

that's all for me

edited February 2017
    Vyusur said:

Phil, it's not exactly the same thing. Say, in Blender I could make a lattice ring in one click, but in Carrara it will take a hundred years to achieve the same task. The goal is not worth it.

Well, it was certainly not one click, but I did this in about three minutes, including opening Carrara. It would be easy to change the number of segments, thickness of the ring etc.

Screenshot 2017-02-22 10.29.58.png
    1920 x 1080 - 317K
    Post edited by PhilW on
    edited February 2017

I don't think that the method of polygonal modeling can help to get this shape:

Lattice.ring01.png
    998 x 561 - 306K
    Post edited by Vyusur on

Seems like you are trying to challenge me!  Here is something similar in Carrara.

LatticeRing.jpg
    800 x 600 - 24K

I simply have been thinking about achieving this task in Carrara for a while. Since I couldn't find the solution I decided to ask if someone could write this kind of script or plugin. Nothing more.

No problem - I enjoy a good challenge!  I know my version is not identical, but equally not bad for a couple of minutes I feel. Another way to tackle such structures would be to model one section and to replicate it. Since I have no confidence that any suggestions in this thread are going to be picked up and worked on, finding work arounds is all I have!

Phil, thank you for participating in this task. I'm also not sure anyone will take on this work. And I also love to solve puzzles. And yes, It seems that the method of replication of one section could work.

• Vyusur said:

Phil, thank you for participating in this task. I'm also not sure anyone will take on this work. And I also love to solve puzzles. And yes, It seems that the method of replication of one section could work.

I solve modeling puzzles all the time, I do it in Silo and few other tools though wink

Cheers smiley

Vyusur said:

I solve modeling puzzles all the time, I do it in Silo and few other tools though wink

Cheers smiley

Cool!!! Very cool!

By the way, how do you make a circle shape inside square shape in Silo?

edited February 2017
    Vyusur said:

It would be nice to have the following handy addons in Carrara:

1. Lattice-some feature like as stick'n'balls or lattice modifier in 3d max of wireframe addon in Blender.

2. Replication on surface faces and vertices addon like in Hexagon or Silo.

3. Following path addon or curve modifier like in Blender (this feature makes object or the whole array deformation according to the vector curve in the scene).

This would make an excellent support ticket sent to Daz3d's Zen Desk as a features request. 

Click Here and then click "Submit a Help Ticket" and put this whole thing including the images in there. The Devs like getting these kinds of requests - I think

Post edited by Dartanbeck on