Novica & Serene Night’s Renders, Tips, Tutorials & Product Reviews PART 2

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Novica said:
    Do not select the fur that says ss. This is what I posted on the other thread. Use the one the arrow points to (for the Puma)
    LOL!! The ss is the Lioness but the word is clipped for text display reasons.

That was the one Trish was using, I was referring to that in regard to the Puma :) I wasn't clear.

edited December 2013

So question for you Novica: Does the big cat come with hair on its own without buying the additional presets?

It comes with hair but is very short. You could do just the cats and do postwork, but might take awhile.
    One thing I do not like about LAMH is that it puts hair that is too long in some places.The muzzle on the puma has hair which is too long for my preferences, in comparison to the fur on the cheek. If it's a winter coat, I'd like to see them both more equal.

EDIT: Took about an hour and a half with the shading rate on .30 and other settings on good/excellent.

Post edited by Novica on
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Novica said:
    So question for you Novica: Does the big cat come with hair on its own without buying the additional presets?

It comes with hair but is very short. You could do just the cats and do postwork, but might take awhile.
    One thing I do not like about LAMH is that it puts hair that is too long in some places.The muzzle on the puma has hair which is too long for my preferences, in comparison to the fur on the cheek. If it's a winter coat, I'd like to see them both more equal.

EDIT: Took about an hour and a half with the shading rate on .30 and other settings on good/excellent.Um.. Novica the Puma (IE Mountain Lion) is 100% correct to my view. Pretty much a Direct copy from a standard Puma's summer coat. As they LIVE at attitude most of the time. Here is Summer face and Winter coat, to me the FUR is a match to the Summer coat.

puma.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 514K
    Puma-001.png
    225 x 225 - 99K
    edited December 1969

Disagree- go look at my sitting puma, enlarge, and look how long the white muzzle hair is, compared to your images. The hair there should be exactly the same as the fur under the eye. The muzzle should be comparable to the rest of the face.

cougarface2.jpg
    729 x 485 - 59K
    edited December 2013

Are you possibly confusing the muzzle with the chin?
    The chin should however, have random longer slivers of fur- not every strand extends.

EDIT: Compare the area circled in red, not the same length as the fur on the cheeks. you can compare it to the lit cheek as well. And no long strands on the chin, if this were the winter coat. Which still would not cause a disparity. When the coat thickens for the winter, it doesn't just do it on the muzzle! However this is my opinion and I always enjoy yours :)

bigcat4b.jpg
    288 x 275 - 89K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited December 2013

NM Novica, I've petted the REAL thing before the Muzzle and checks ARE different in RL. Get LAMH full and edit the preset to your liking. I myself see it as fine. I was raised on a farm and knew and still know many (some my cousins) that raise or have raised exotic animals. Bobcats, Cougars, Tigers, Ostrich, Llama, Skunk, Emu and Buffalo to name off the top of my head those I have feed at least once in my life.

EDIT: Your posted image is a WINTER coat by the way.

Post edited by Jaderail on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
    edited December 2013

I'll be honest Jaderail I'm with Novica on this one. I can't define it, there is something about the puma's head that seems off. I think the whole beast looks over fed, and there is something about the face that appears big to me. Not like the slim sleek animal you've shown pictures of.

Puma's in the wild seem leaner than the model sold here. I prefer the model from Content PAradise even though it is dated. It seems to capture the mountain lion look better, even if it is dated.

Post edited by Serene Night on
  • TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,010
    edited December 1969

Well, here's my first attempt with the Big Cat 2, Real Fur used.
    Roar!

edited December 1969

tjohn said:
    Roar!

Awesome one tjohn. Love the whole look, and the long grass. One question. Is it possible to show his ears? Or is that hidden in the mane fur? Ears convey so much meaning with cats, it is a shame to keep 'em hidden.

edited December 2013

tjohn said:
    Roar!

Awesome one tjohn. Love the whole look, and the long grass. One question. Is it possible to show his ears? Or is that hidden in the mane fur? Ears convey so much meaning with cats, it is a shame to keep 'em hidden.
    Hidden by the mane, I'm afraid. Maybe Leo's sensitive about the size of his ears. :)
    ETA: After googling some male lion images, there seems to a lot of variety to size and shape of manes, some do cover the ears. I suspect it may have something to do with the age of the lion.

Post edited by TJohn on
    edited December 2013

Tjohn, it won't let me "like" or comment. :(

Well, that was stupid. It did the comment twice and not the like at all. Yet still says 0 comments. Moderators, can one of those posts be removed? It's definitely acting up as it says 0 comments, mine got posted twice, and I can't "like" the image. EDIT: Took a couple minutes to come through. The like shows now.

Post edited by Novica on
    edited December 1969

We Mods are not in charge of the Gallery, a different team is.

edited December 1969

Novica said:
    Tjohn, it won't let me "like" or comment. :(

Well, that was stupid. It did the comment twice and not the like at all. Yet still says 0 comments. Moderators, can one of those posts be removed? It's definitely acting up as it says 0 comments, mine got posted twice, and I can't "like" the image. EDIT: Took a couple minutes to come through. The like shows now.

Thanks!
    I tried to delete the extra comment myself in edit mode. The "delete comment" button is present, but doesn't function yet (this is still a "beta" gallery, lol).
    edited December 1969

A few things to note-
    http://www.daz3d.com/gatwyck-bundle gives you an additional 10% off (but it is AFTER your snowball savings is discounted) if you own the marketplace or other gatwyck items.

According to the thread in the Commons, the G2 Super Hero Suit for both the females and males (currently snowball) only has one material zone. That makes it a non-starter for me. Anyone have it that can confirm that?

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:

There a link? BTW, did you notice Trish got her LAMH working on the other thread? Finally! Way to go Trish!
    edited December 1969

Maybe if we asked Alessandro and Ken, they could create a preset where the mane doesn't cover the ears?

edited December 1969

Novica said:
    A few things to note-
    http://www.daz3d.com/gatwyck-bundle gives you an additional 10% off (but it is AFTER your snowball savings is discounted) if you own the marketplace or other gatwyck items.

According to the thread in the Commons, the G2 Super Hero Suit for both the females and males (currently snowball) only has one material zone. That makes it a non-starter for me. Anyone have it that can confirm that?

I'll check...
    edited December 2013

Just for interest-sake, I've attached some images of the content paradise model verses the daz big cat model. The content paradise model is not perfect, and is dated-looking to be sure, but I think the head of the content paradise version captures the leaner smaller look of the mountain lion to me than the image on the right which looks a lot like an African lioness or a cub. The eyes are different and the face is flatter and lower.

The daz version has big blue eyes, and different ears, and a bigger lower part of the muzzle.

EDITED to add: the daz cat looks more now that I look at it, juvenile than it should.

That's just my observations.

comparison-shot4.jpg
    931 x 815 - 141K
    comparison-shot2.jpg
    931 x 815 - 214K
    comparison-shot.jpg
    698 x 815 - 152K
    edited December 2013

Novica said:
    Jaderail said:

There a link? BTW, did you notice Trish got her LAMH working on the other thread? Finally! Way to go Trish!Not that I know of, but I do know they work very hard and prob will see it and fix it when they can. Or maybe one of them will report it to someone they talk to that can fix it.

EDIT: So Happy for Trish. And we as artist are allowed to disagree Right? No hard feelings.
    Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

One mat zone with the male super hero outfit, but worth every penny because it renders beautifully. =-)

M6_50.Barat100supersuit_.jpg
    698 x 815 - 376K
    edited December 1969

tjohn said:
    Maybe if we asked Alessandro and Ken, they could create a preset where the mane doesn't cover the ears?

In the images usually shown of males the ears are usually visible even in full frontal view. Yes there are images with longer mane fur, but the typical male lion's ears seem to be visible.

edited December 1969

tjohn said:

In the images usually shown of males the ears are usually visible even in full frontal view. Yes there are images with longer mane fur, but the typical male lion's ears seem to be visible.

I'm with tjohn, we do need more presets as pointed out some of the shapes need work to. I'm hoping for a NONE Beta FULL LAMH soon so I can Edit the presets as I like.
    One mat zone with the male super hero outfit, but worth every penny because it renders beautifully. =-) I would pay well for just a PLAIN V4 M4 style Bodysuit for G2F and G2M. Everything so far has built in seams or next to NO normal Material Zones. I need a regular suit for my Hero work dang it.
    edited December 1969

Another thing to note- Aave is the one with this:
    http://www.daz3d.com/snowball-of-savings/a-gentleman-s-wardrobe

and was quite clever, the pants and shirt are ONE ITEM but there are 22 material zones. Anything Aave does rocks (and her items do NOT go on sale very often.) She does the Miss Fisher items.

Note some of the Smay hairs are 58%, plus your snowball. For V4, I like
    http://www.daz3d.com/nox-hair
    http://www.daz3d.com/lycra-hair
    http://www.daz3d.com/frankie-hair (great for a evil gal I think)

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    One mat zone with the male super hero outfit, but worth every penny because it renders beautifully. =-)
    I would pay well for just a PLAIN V4 M4 style Bodysuit for G2F and G2M. Everything so far has built in seams or next to NO normal Material Zones. I need a regular suit for my Hero work dang it.

LOL, well there are different texture sets included, I though drow liked the dark leather although no spiders I'm afraid =-)

I just wish I could fit the suit to gen 5. Anyone know if there is a converter like there is for gen2 females?

edited December 2013

Jaderail said:
    And we as artist are allowed to disagree Right? No hard feelings. .

Of course not :) (Evil cackle as she prepares a render for Jaderail's birthday thread of a big purple drow in a g string on a strippers pole...)
    If you folks haven't seen the thread, the purple dude has a birthday coming up and folks are doing renders for his thread. Unfortunately l HAVE to start on my RRRR one, so you are safe for now Jaderail. FOR NOW. Maybe Spyro and I should team up later...

Post edited by Novica on
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    tjohn said:

I'm with tjohn, we do need more presets as pointed out some of the shapes need work to. I'm hoping for a NONE Beta FULL LAMH soon so I can Edit the presets as I like.
    I would pay well for just a PLAIN V4 M4 style Bodysuit for G2F and G2M. Everything so far has built in seams or next to NO normal Material Zones. I need a regular suit for my Hero work dang it.
    The G-Suit is still an excellent choice and will fit-to the G 2 figures well.
    http://www.daz3d.com/g-suit-bodysuit-for-genesis
    It has blank uvs as Free Resources on that product page as well, and many material zones.
    edited December 1969

The body suit is UV mapped, just needs a blank UV to work with.
    There are 2 material zones on the boots (boot, sole).
    The mask has a single mat zone.
    What is really weird is that there is no smoothing modifier. The suit and mask look like they have massive poke-thru in the Preview window but render perfectly. Stumped...
    edited December 1969

I think Smay posted a new texture set link (free) on the thread in the Commons.
    edited December 1969

I have the G-Suit but It still stands that we need a standard body suit for them both. Made for them. And it would REALLY make my day to have the Supersuit updated for both as well. In the mean time I'll keep on doing the transfer thing with crossed fingers. And besides that the G2F and G2M both broke my primitive clothing in odd ways. I need to fix those now I got good furry critters to run from and to hunt down.

So many render ideas, so little time....

edited December 2013

tjohn said:
    What is really weird is that there is no smoothing modifier. The suit and mask look like they have massive poke-thru in the Preview window but render perfectly. Stumped...

I think it renders quite well, but did encounter pokethrough with the boots and nails. I have had to go through and hide the skin of the foot and toes and ankle area to get boots to render. I had to zero out the fingernails as well. Not a problem, I do this a lot with Xurge3d's stuff too.

Here's another render. I think it looks great with DA glowing eyes. (yes I know I shouldn't put a character in the screen dead center, compositionally, but I liked it and it is late). =-)

final.jpg
    697 x 814 - 114K
This discussion has been closed.