Novica & Serene Night’s Renders, Tips, Tutorials & Product Reviews PART 2

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,869
    edited December 1969

I like those! I don't use it very often, but a wonderful program that will give you a variety of results that are vivid is:
    http://www.fotosketcher.com/

So far as rendering what I just bought, I have to start on that RRRR contest as it takes 3 renders and it's been 2 weeks and I haven't started on a single one yet. :)

edited December 2013

There were only two renders showing as gallery winners, the second place winner was of a man.The artist, Hellboy- is one of the best artists that I have ever seen for 3d art. The fact that his work was SECOND PLACE and not shown, speaks volumes. Third place was of course a woman, and shown. (Both renders of women this week were very tasteful and well done.)

They've crossed the ethical line for me, so I emptied my shopping cart of a lot of stuff that I don't have to have. Until I see Hellboy's image in that rotating banner, it's bare bone shopping for me. If they don't get it up during this featured week, it's permanent "cutback." I 'm totally disgusted.

Visit this thread and voice your opinion to get Hellboy's work featured.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/33147/P45/#501836

EDIT: Scott-L posted a link to the render, and it is definitely not family friendly, so this is a dilemma. I can see why DAZ would not want to post it on the main banners, but on the other hand, the women were. If they are going to change their "family friendly" policy, they need to get the word out that those renders which are not, won't be displayed. Again, seems like another "oopsie, didn't think this out" action. It's a man in a ? jockstrap doing pole dancing. You can see why there is a "hmmm. What do we do now?" factor.

Post edited by Novica on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,582
    edited December 1969

I don't use or look at the galleries, to be honest, unless someone requests that I do so. I don't in general like sexy images of either gender, but particularly sexy images of women which I feel are so commonplace as to be absolutely boilerplate. Would love some winning entries of unattractive human characters.

My thoughts about art contests is that they should be genre and skill-level specific. Pinup art has its own genre, its own style and is popular. But there are also other types of art: landscape, fantasy, etc. I don't think you can judge a pinup picture in the same way you can judge an image of a space battle, or wildlife. It is simply different genre with different appeal. I also think there should be a skill level judging. You can't judge a newbie piece in the same way as a pro. They aren't at the same skiill level.

I would prefer not to see pinup or sexually suggestive imagery. I would prefer gallery art that is pinup-style not be displayed on the main site.

I sympathize with those who want their image to display on the main page. However, to be quite honest, I go to that page mainly to shop. While it is wonderful that people win contests, my purpose for being at daz is to buy art supplies. I'm not really here to enter contests or look at gallery art.

In general I think displaying gallery images in the place that was chosen wasn't a great idea to begin with.

• starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,670
    edited December 1969

I have a comment and it sounds hypocritical but I don't really want to see women in skimpy outfits on the main site. I am a hypocrite because I dress my ladies in sexy outfits. At least I am honest. I'm with you SereneNight, I go to the main site to shop, not look at people showing curves in the banner. Um.. that's all I want to say. I don't want to start an argument because Chohole will ask us to calm down. lol

O.k.. One more thing. I haven't taken a look at the gallery mostly because I don't have time. I do look at some 3D art on DeviantArt. Women in revealing outfits are popular renders.

edited December 1969

Fortunately we only have to the end of December for the display to end (of having it in the main banner.) Kudos to DAZ for trying to reward people. No kudos for execution. And Starionwolf, I don't think you're a hypocrite, that's just good business sense- keep shopping pages oriented to shopping.

Speakin' of which, what have you all bought? I got the Noi Due Poses, Wicked Le Relaxed (no textures, going to try Fabricator, some of those weaves) Genesis Nano Suit (not a snowball item) and the war pack for it, Zareb Tribal Clothes for M4 (to go with the African theme), Miss Kringle (to use as dresses, it's not bad!) among other things.

edited December 1969

http://www.daz3d.com/fast-grab-3d-models/dark-matter-for-v4-a4
    Okay, how does this work? The less light, the more the face glows. It's fast grab in case you haven't seen it. I hate that they change that page at different times, it was still yesterdays last time I looked, then bamm, I almost forgot to check back and it's different. I bought this thing, it will be my luck it won't glow.

edited December 1969

My snowball meter is still at 7. I picked up:

People of Earth: Faces of Asia
    Daz big cat 2
    Da Glowing Eyes
    Sexy open side tank outfit
    Mighty King poses

I also got all the freebies.

I appreciate that this Christmas sale actually has men's content. Last year there was only 1 outfit I think that adventure hero outfit.

edited December 2013

Here is a render using People's of Earth Faces of Asia:

http://www.daz3d.com/new-releases/people-of-earth-faces-of-asia-g2m

in combination with Michael 6. I had to dial the eye-size down, but other than that, I think it looks pretty good.

Skin is Male-M3dia's Ryuu.
    Backdrop: Tin Pan Alley

guy4.jpg
    710 x 852 - 161K
    Post edited by Serene Night on
    edited December 1969

I'm getting this cranked out- I recommend the Dark Matter fast grab. That's all I have time to post because it can go off anytime from Fast Grab. Get it for the light sets, trust me. They render fast and you get SO many distant light setups. The V4 figure is awesome. Back in a few with the render. http://www.daz3d.com/fast-grab-3d-models/dark-matter-for-v4-a4

edited December 2013

Dark Matter For V4/ A4
    Will post the rest of the outfit etc in a few minutes. Wanted you to see this. And this isn't even posed. LOVE this. Rendered at high quality settings in three minutes with tons of lights! I say go go go for it!
    EDIT: Added second image.

http://www.daz3d.com/dark-matter-for-v4-a4

darkmatterV4AdvGirlEstlHuntVestKenziAssin2.jpg
    1000 x 1800 - 932K
    darkmatterV4AdvGirlEstlHuntVestKenziAssin.jpg
    724 x 788 - 367K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited December 2013

Dark Matter For V4 A4 (Figure And Lights)
    Adventure Girl Essentials: Huntress Vest (Shirt)
    Kenzi Outfit For V4 (Skirt)
    AssaSIN (Boots)
    Victoria 4 Model Pose Construction Set (Pose On This One)
    Georgina Hair
    Rocks N Drops Fantasy Scene Kit (Background)

http://www.daz3d.com/dark-matter-for-v4-a4
    http://www.daz3d.com/adventure-girl-essentials-huntress-vest
    http://www.daz3d.com/kenzi-outfit-for-victoria-4
    http://www.daz3d.com/assassin
    http://www.daz3d.com/victoria-4-model-pose-construction-set
    http://www.daz3d.com/georgina-hair
    http://www.daz3d.com/rocks-n-drops-fantasy-scene-kit

Talk about kit bashing. I threw this together in five minutes, lol. That fast grab is going off any minute and I had to find an outfit that showed those glowing effects, which meant showing skin. If you like the Kenzi skirt, there are several generations offered. I did change the render settings on all these to .40 shading rate so I could crank these out. If you need some scenes with fast render times, this light set is zippy- and so is the hair and figure. Two to three minutes at .40- wow.

The Georgina Hair renders quickly and has nice adjustment morphs. Took me about eight minutes to set it up!

I REALLY like the backdrops in the Rocks N Drops Fantasy scene kit- and it goes so well with the glow on this character.
    The site went down, hope you can still get this figure when you read this (at 70% fast grab.)

CLICK TO ENLARGE AND CLICK AGAIN. :)

darkmatterV4AdvGirlEstlHuntVestKenziAssin4.jpg
    1800 x 2000 - 2M
    darkmatterV4AdvGirlEstlHuntVestKenziAssin3.jpg
    1000 x 1800 - 955K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited December 2013

How do these ethnic morphs compare with any others you have? Do you feel they offer something really different? What I am thinking- I have SO many other ethnic morphs, I'm wondering if they transfer throughout the generations at all.

EDIT: PS- Really like that lighting. Soft, diffused.

Post edited by Novica on
    edited December 1969

...I appreciate that this Christmas sale actually has men's content. Last year there was only 1 outfit I think that adventure hero outfit.

Have you ever rendered it? I don't recall seeing it.

edited December 2013

Anais
    http://www.daz3d.com/anais-bundle-victoria-4-elite-aiko4

I had the Dark Matter character, and then just used the TEX.ds file from Anais. Here she is. Exact same lighting, etc.

EDIT: This is your chance to see up close textures- these are huge closeups. Click to enlarge/click again.
    Unbelievable too- takes 3 minutes at .30 shading rate. This hair, clothing combination, background, and character are WONDERFUL! :)

anaisV4AdvGirlEstlHuntVestKenziAssin4DarkMatterLites2.jpg
    900 x 2000 - 872K
    anaisV4AdvGirlEstlHuntVestKenziAssin4DarkMatterLites.jpg
    1800 x 2000 - 2M
    Post edited by Novica on
  • IndigoJansonIndigoJanson Posts: 1,100
    edited December 2013

Novica said:
    There were only two renders showing as gallery winners, the second place winner was of a man.The artist, Hellboy- is one of the best artists that I have ever seen for 3d art. The fact that his work was SECOND PLACE and not shown, speaks volumes. Third place was of course a woman, and shown.
    EDIT: Scott-L posted a link to the render, and it is definitely not family friendly, so this is a dilemma.

I went in search of Hellboy's render when I first heard about this, as it seemed unfair from what I'd read. While I could understand that they felt it was a prize-winning entry but didn't want to use it as an advertisement for their store, my reaction is that DAZ had no hesitation in slapping raunchy pin-ups of women on their store homepage last week.

Why one rule for women, another for men? I don't like the message that this gives. Either stick to the family friendly policy for both genders and show only tasteful renders that everyone can enjoy. Or, at least treat the men in the same way.

[/rant] and congratulations to Hellboy on his win.

EDIT: Just read the linked to thread. Maybe as Scott-L suggested there, this is simply DAZ moving towards less risque images, which coincidentally happened in the week of the first risque male render.

Post edited by IndigoJanson on
    edited December 1969

I would prefer not to see pinup or sexually suggestive imagery. I would prefer gallery art that is pinup-style not be displayed on the main site.

In general I think displaying gallery images in the place that was chosen wasn't a great idea to begin with.

Have to agree with both statements. I showed the gallery to someone and their reaction was that it was all so people-centric, which struck them as unimaginative and dull considering how much freedom to create we have with 3D. There are some stunning portraits in the gallery and I hope there will continue to be, but I do take their point.

I'd love to see some award-winning scenes or still life. Animals, unconventional characters, children doing things kids do, it's all good. Of course, I'm the one whose renders currently all feature the Hunchback so maybe I'm biased... :)

I'm still shaking my head over the fact that the work of people like Dani get completely passed over in this gallery, though I think that was partly down to the tidal wave of images when it first opened.

edited December 1969

Good morning! It's 7:15am here, I haven't gone to bed yet. Trish (Bullit) and I are wading through the DAZ Big Cat hoopla. It's crashing for a lot of people. It crashed once for me, then I did what Alessandro suggested and am off and running. The bad thing is that you're going to see my first light test, it is impossible to see your lights because if you add the fur, it it glowing spikes. So keep in mind this is my best educated guess for the first one, done from scratch. It's rendering now.

Here is what you need to do to possibly avoid a crash- first, don't run any other programs that tax your machine. Seriously, watch videos some other time.

First, use the Content Library, go under Products, find DAZ Big Cat and select your animal. The Puma worked for me so perhaps try that one. POSE your animal and set your lights the way you want them. Unfortunately, dummy me added the lights after the fur and as I said, I got glowing spikes staring me in the face. STOP LAUGHING. See image. The reason you pose before adding the fur is you might have SIGNIFICANT LAG- I sure did.

This is important:
    Load one of .lmh presets available in your My DAZ 3D Library->Animals->DAZ Big Cat 2->Breeds->AM folder
    The fur attaches- if it doesn't then you might have to parent it. Mine is rendering so I can't check it.

Will post it when it's done. I hope. Unless the lighting is way off.

bigcat.jpg
    1500 x 1206 - 200K
    edited December 2013

Well, I'm going to tweak but here's the stab in the dark one. I am going to add a slight filler to the dark side of the face, dim the chest a bit so the fur strands show. It's 8am and I am headed off to sleep.

YOU REALLY REALLY REALLY should click to enlarge/click again.

bigcat3.jpg
    1400 x 1400 - 1M
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited December 1969

Do not select the fur that says ss. This is what I posted on the other thread. Use the one the arrow points to (for the Puma)

bigcatTrish.jpg
    1537 x 602 - 235K
  • Tarina KiviTarina Kivi Posts: 488
    edited December 1969

Novica said:
    Well, I'm going to tweak but here's the stab in the dark one. I am going to add a slight filler to the dark side of the face, dim the chest a bit so the fur strands show. It's 8am and I am headed off to sleep.

This looks great Novica. The fur really makes all the difference. Was the backdrop added in postwork or in DS? I'm asking because it looks as if the puma is floating above ground rather than sitting on it. Hopefully we will see an updated version of domestic cat and dog real soon as well. May I ask how long did it take to render?
    edited December 2013

Novica said:

I did. And it's beautiful. Now this is what I'm talking about. Good to see some big cat renders appearing in the Gallery too, though I think I like this one the best out of the ones I've seen as it's so expressive.

Just noticed what Tarina mentioned, it looks to me like the front-most paw is on the ground but the back ones aren't. There's a hint of shadow that suggests they are floating.

Post edited by IndigoJanson on
    edited December 2013

Novica said:

How do these ethnic morphs compare with any others you have? Do you feel they offer something really different? What I am thinking- I have SO many other ethnic morphs, I'm wondering if they transfer throughout the generations at all.

EDIT: PS- Really like that lighting. Soft, diffused.

Thanks! The lighting is Aiden lights, with the point lights tweaked to be near the face, an extra gray point added, and slightly altered in Photoshop.

The ethnic morphs are for gen 2 male, and so far, I like them. I do not think the promo art does the product justice, or really shows how well they can look with more than just base male but with M6. I think the renders would look better with different skins, and I do think the eyes look huge in the promo art which make the faces look odd to me. .

There are a number of interesting morphs that come with the set, as well as some full face presets. Quite a few of these are nice-looking with m6. Some can look exaggerated, but you can dial stuff down.

To me, picking this up was a risk, since the promo art was unappealing, but I like the way this renders.

edited December 2013

Novica said:
    ...I appreciate that this Christmas sale actually has men's content. Last year there was only 1 outfit I think that adventure hero outfit.

Have you ever rendered it? I don't recall seeing it.

No, I actually don't like the outfit. It has the genesis dough quality I don't like, and really strange pocket with coloration on the edge adding to a toony look. I may take a look at it sometime, but it was a question of being somewhat desperate for male clothing. =)

edited December 1969

Jindi said:

I'd love to see some award-winning scenes or still life. Animals, unconventional characters, children doing things kids do, it's all good. Of course, I'm the one whose renders currently all feature the Hunchback so maybe I'm biased... :)

I do admit I am curious why different subject matter isn't selected more often. I appreciate and enjoy doing character renders too, but I admit Posing pretty Vicky is pretty boilerplate.

I am more interested in the less commonplace, the illustrations involving less conventional characters, that attempt to tell a story, that illustrate who a character is, rather than just saying "I'm sexy" or "I'm posed with my weapons." (sorry sarge that goes for you too).

I am not criticizing the winners. Many appear quite talented, and I liked the emotion in the couples pose in round one, and the woman destroying demons had a lot of action in the first image.

I'm simply saying what I find appealing in illustration and visually interesting, is more than just a character striking a pose. I like stories. I want to see stories in illustration, which make me think, 'what is the character up to,' why are they there. What is going on? Etc.

edited December 1969

So question for you Novica: Does the big cat come with hair on its own without buying the additional presets?

• starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,670
    edited December 1969

Novica said:
    Speakin' of which, what have you all bought? I got the Noi Due Poses, Wicked Le Relaxed (no textures, going to try Fabricator, some of those weaves) Genesis Nano Suit (not a snowball item) and the war pack for it, Zareb Tribal Clothes for M4 (to go with the African theme), Miss Kringle (to use as dresses, it's not bad!) among other things.

Most of the stuff that I bought are from the Platinum Club store:
    Big bill trailer, Neat Pleats, Reinterject for Genesis 2 Female, FW Danika, Tertius, Sam for V4, Adventurer for Genesis 2 Male(s)
    Waste Container, Luxus for Daz Studio 4. I still want to buy some more items from the Platinum Club store.

• mori_mannmori_mann Posts: 1,152
    edited December 2013

I got the panther add-on, for reasons. Did one 'serious' scene with it, but not with the LAMH fur, just wanted to see how it worked. With the 'plain' fur (I call it the summer coat ;) ) it was a breeze to set up and it rendered rather fast. Of course, it's a black cat at night, so the whole scene is dark-ish, but I loved fiddling with it.

Will try the more fuzzy fur soon.

Ahsh_Christmas_special_3_small_-_lpw.jpg
    1500 x 1200 - 521K
    Post edited by mori_mann on
    edited December 1969

mori_mann said:
    I got the panther add-on, for reasons. Did one 'serious' scene with it, but not with the LAMH fur, just wanted to see how it worked. With the 'plain' fur (I call it the summer coat ;) ) it was a breeze to set up and it rendered rather fast. Of course, it's a black cat at night, so the whole scene is dark-ish, but I loved fiddling with it.

Will try the more fuzzy fur soon.

Aww. Kitty! I like the idea of kitty playing with Christmas ornaments. Adorable.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Novica said:
    Do not select the fur that says ss. This is what I posted on the other thread. Use the one the arrow points to (for the Puma)
    LOL!! The ss is the Lioness but the word is clipped for text display reasons.
    edited December 1969

Jindi said:
    Novica said:

I did. And it's beautiful. Now this is what I'm talking about. Good to see some big cat renders appearing in the Gallery too, though I think I like this one the best out of the ones I've seen as it's so expressive.

Just noticed what Tarina mentioned, it looks to me like the front-most paw is on the ground but the back ones aren't. There's a hint of shadow that suggests they are floating.

Yep, they are. This was primarily a test of lighting :) When the fur is applied, you get green spikeys so I started rendering it to test it, then when it didn't crash (and several people have had problems with that) I decided to just let it continue to render to show the fur.

That backdrop is from the Rocks N Drops, it's a curved one that includes a ground plane so you'll have to adjust and put your object far forward so the rear area doesn't go below the plane. I can't remember tipping him forward to avoid that (it was 8am and I hadn't gone to bed yet!) but I might have.

This discussion has been closed.