Novica & Serene Night’s Renders, Tips, Tutorials & Product Reviews PART 2

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,869
    edited December 1969

I think for a plain type character she'll be okay, or for a mardi-gras/festival render. Here's the last one- and there are a lot more "out there" makeups, like with Ariadne. It might be interesting to have them as sisters. I do like the irregularities such as the little moles by the mouth. It's not just a same old same old. But have to agree with you, she won't be my go-to character. I use Nyssa, Nova, Caitlyn, and Riley, etc.

It's 78 degrees here :) Balmy. I have all the windows open and am painting ceramics (owned a studio) for hubby's office gifts. Gotta get 'em done. Am rendering while painting. :) Everyone involved in the ice storm- stay off the roads. It amazes me how people HAVE to get out and run errands that weren't important enough the day before when roads were clear. I'm from the Midwest originally btw, not Florida, so been there done that with icy roads.

aspenmodernloft5a.jpg
    850 x 900 - 489K
  • starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,670
    edited December 1969

Nice render. The colors are bright.

I want to take a train trip out of Chicago and look at the countryside in northern Illinois. Hope you had a nice weekend in Florida. I want to live in Florida during the winter. Bye

edited December 1969

WAAAAAY Off topic-
    BEST BUY HAS XBOX ONE CONSOLES.

My hubby just got one while up in Connecticut, called me, I got one in Florida. Stores got about 10-40 in stock today. They get their shipments on Sundays usually. As of 5:30pm, Pensacola just sold out because people saw me get mine (I had to go ask a sales associate, they are keeping all their Xbox Ones in back.) But otherwise, they had TWELVE just sitting there!

So if you're looking to grab one, today is the day, it's maybe not too late because people are thinking they have to wait until the 8pm special event tonight for silver members. If it's past closing, see if that special event is on for tonight.

edited December 1969

One last picture to show you The Tourist outfit (instead of just the top) and it also has a hat, bangles, a moneybelt, etc. Cute sandals!

I can not say I am pleased with the bookcase- those repetitive SAME splotches for the wood really are quite glaringly apparent. (Like the smiley faces in the temple posts- but those you had to look for. This is "in your face."

aspenmodernloft6.jpg
    1200 x 1800 - 1M
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,582
    edited December 2013

Yeah, that wood is not so good. Maybe it is time to break out the wood shaders:

http://www.daz3d.com/wood-shaders-for-daz-studio

Post edited by Serene Night on
    edited December 2013

LOL, if I were doing it for a render for me, and not to point out what you get with the product, that would be the ticket!

So we get 9% off today (use SNOWBALL-9) off the entire site. Whee! That adds up because I'm already at the 20% mark and heading into 30%. I'm buying poses and outfits for kitbashing, a few characters. I did buy Alora just now from Forbidden Whispers store, because it's 40% then my 20% then the 9% brought the price to $6.53 I don't have a lot for Girl 6 based characters.
    http://www.daz3d.com/alora-for-the-girl-6

Be sure and pick up the free FW product just listed today.

I'm wondering if they are going to have a "catch up sale" at the end, which would be detrimental to people buying now. If you buy and buy and get to say, 30 or 40 percent, then they put everything back on sale (like they always do) then it would hurt you to get it now when your discount is 10 or 20 percent. Someone from DAZ needs to step in and explain what their intentions are. (Yeah, right.)

Post edited by Novica on
  • IndigoJansonIndigoJanson Posts: 1,100
    edited December 2013

Novica said:
    OT: Snowflakes
    This you just gotta see. For all my friends in cold climates, this is what is flurrying down on you! WOW.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/snowflake-photos-alexey-kljatov/20716778

Wow! So pretty. We had a short blizzard last week, no snow since them. (I'm in Scotland.) It always causes so much disruption but I think a little snowfall at Christmas when everyone can stay indoors might be nice.

By the way, I've finally found my signature. If you and SereneNight would like more exposure for this thread, I'd be more than happy to add a link. Just let me know.

Post edited by IndigoJanson on
  • Tarina KiviTarina Kivi Posts: 488
    edited December 1969

Have you noticed that FW Darc is offered for free today?

edited December 1969

Finally found your signature? LOL. "Peek a boo!"
    That would be appreciated :)
    Scotland- that is the one place I have not visited that I really wanted to. I had a choice of Scotland, United Kingdom, and Australia (among others) to do my student teaching, and I went with Australia due to the wildlife. (It was everything I had hoped for!) But I always thought about Scotland. Have you ever been to the States?

edited December 1969

If you go to the Commons, it is mentioned as the last post of the 12 days of Christmas by the PA's. Go to the thread for the links to all the free stuff :)

edited December 2013

Novica said:

If you go to the Commons, it is mentioned as the last post of the 12 days of Christmas by the PA's. Go to the thread for the links to all the free stuff :)

I didn't know about that, thanks. :)

Post edited by Tarina Kivi on
    edited December 1969

I am actually showcasing him in a render right now (but I have to go get some sleep. Trying to get the scene set up with the correct lighting so it can render while I snooze.) He's riding a llama! (If you haven't checked out Loveable Llamas, they are ADORABLE.)

edited December 1969

Novica said:
    I am actually showcasing him in a render right now (but I have to go get some sleep. Trying to get the scene set up with the correct lighting so it can render while I snooze.) He's riding a llama! (If you haven't checked out Loveable Llamas, they are ADORABLE.)

I've seen them but never gotten around to buying them, they are on my wishlist for now. ; )

edited December 1969

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/13080/

This is the link to the PA freebie thread. They are tacking on this year's freebies at the end (I think. I skimmed it really fast three hours ago.)
    Going on 6am, gotta snooze. :)

edited December 1969

Wow at 20% already Novica? I'm only at 4 snowballs now. See, I knew I should've waited to get those Ron's brushes. There is always a coupon after you buy something at a higher price.=)

Not sure I need the the sleevelessr shirt, but it is for men, and looks good, not sure I honestly would call that sexy, but it looks like a nice basic.

edited December 1969

The 9% off coupon also works for gift cards, if you haven't bought one already. =-)

edited December 2013

Today’s Review is:

Courtship Couple Poses for V4/M4 http://www.daz3d.com/courtship-couple-poses

Other content:
    Wild Orchid Hair http://www.daz3d.com/wild-orchid-hair
    Jai Hair http://www.daz3d.com/jai-hair
    Predatron’s DS lights http://www.daz3d.com/predatron-ds-lights
    New Adventure Continues (Unable to locate in store for some reason)
    GIS Project Nebula Image http://www.daz3d.com/gis-project
    Renaissance Tunic v4 (Xurge 3d)

I’m a sucker for couples poses. I like the dynamic and the challenge of placing two- (or more), characters in a scene, and watching how the figures play off each other to tell a story, and well I love romance and courtship. =-)

I actually found this set quite challenging to use and render. Once you start customizing your character, adding clothing and shoes it can throw the poses off quite a bit more than you might expect and require adjustment. I found my first series of renders was problematic because the outfit I decided to use for M4, had higher heels than V4’s flats. That subtle difference was enough to throw the poses off, and generate clipping and misalignment. I also had to make sure to remove the applied characters I had injected into v4 and M4, as the height difference was off. Normally this isn’t a problem, but because these characters are so close together these small differences can become big.

Be on the lookout for misaligned hands, fingers, and wardrobe clipping with the other figure. Hands in particular sometimes needed to be bent to not conform to the other hand. There are no included expression sets. I had to add a few.

Don’t forget to have v4 and m4 look at their partner.

To easily point eyes, highlight them in the scene tab and RIGHT click on the head of the opposite partner. Select the option to point the eyes at head

I think this is a good set. I like the feeling of intimacy and joyful dance the set has. It is probably a bit more advanced than other set, because it does require tweaking to get to look right, especially when you change v4/m4 or want a full body shot including the feet. For me, I was a bit frustrated by the feet. =-).

If you have GIS project, make sure to nab the free nebula image that is included in your runtime. It is a great backdrop. And looks well here.

Images 1-4 were rendered using Predatron's DS lights.
    Image 2 has a slight head shine on the Jai hair. I fixed this in the other renders by making the hair matte not default plastic. Due to time constraints I decided not to re-render to correct the issue- but since the pose was cute I decided to leave it so you could see how it looked.

3.jpg
    852 x 852 - 608K
    4.jpg
    710 x 852 - 470K
    2.jpg
    710 x 852 - 488K
    1.jpg
    852 x 994 - 701K
    edited December 2013

One of these days I will render Victoria 4 and Michael 4 together.

I was looking for a science fiction corridor with big windows. GIS Project looks nice. I did not know that it comes with a backdrop. Thanks for sharing the information.

GIS Project Nebula Image http://www.daz3d.com/gis-project

If you have GIS project, make sure to nab the free nebula image that is included in your runtime. It is a great backdrop. And looks well here.

Post edited by starionwolf on
  • TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,055
    edited December 1969

Those are excellent renders.
    I've been playing with Maggie.
    She doesn't come with SSS, but I used Dimension Theory's SS Toolbox to add them to her skin (I've gotten pretty quick with the settings I like most). I like DT's Project Eyeris for the eye surfaces.

Maggie.jpg
    666 x 800 - 262K
    edited December 1969

tjohn said:
    Those are excellent renders.
    I've been playing with Maggie.
    She doesn't come with SSS, but I used Dimension Theory's SS Toolbox to add them to her skin (I've gotten pretty quick with the settings I like most). I like DT's Project Eyeris for the eye surfaces.

Thanks. I like what you did with Maggie. That is Great work! Nice and tan. =-)

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,055
    edited December 1969

Thank you, too! :)

edited December 1969

Both of you did beautiful work- I really like Maggie and the couple's poses. Need to ask a question- when you said " To easily point eyes, highlight them in the scene tab and RIGHT click on the head of the opposite partner. Select the option to point the eyes at head" I am trying to follow that. When you right click on the head of the opposite partner, I assume there are several options and one of them is pointing the eyes at the head? Is there a popup/dropdown with the options?

My studio is stuck when rendering. It is stalling at 31%. I may need to delete some stuff- does having a lot installed slow down render? I have a lot of free space, but how do I check RAM in the task manager? (I assume that's where I check it, when the render stalls out?) I don't know what I am looking for. RAM problems would be the first logical place to start. So my llama render is on hold (and it's cute, darn it.)

• TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited December 2013

right click on your task bar bring up task manager click on the performance tab.....it will show you there

SereneNight : what outfit does she have on that is beautiful.....thanks ooops I guess that the renaissance tunic......OMG I have never visited there before....Thanks now I have to buy the Medieval royalty for M4....LOL keep in mind I am new at this but I love this outfit.....its all in the lighting which I have to work on

mike4.jpg
    301 x 627 - 47K
    Post edited by Trish on
  • IndigoJansonIndigoJanson Posts: 1,100
    edited December 2013

Gorgeous series of images, SereneNight. What an adorable couple. The poses are charming, and it's such a beautiful outfit, and everything else just works. (I also like the way you've angled the camera... it makes them more dynamic somehow)

Beautiful pair of eyes there, tjohn. I bet she twists the guys around her little finger.

Wow, he is going to look good in that outfit, Trish, keep at it. The Predatron lights that SN used are always an excellent starting point. (EDIT: your preview thumbnail in the forum wasn't doing this justice, I've had the same problem. When I clicked on it, the larger one was sharper and looking nice with the lighting you have.)

Post edited by IndigoJanson on
    edited December 2013

Novica said:
    Both of you did beautiful work- I really like Maggie and the couple's poses. Need to ask a question- when you said " To easily point eyes, highlight them in the scene tab and RIGHT click on the head of the opposite partner. Select the option to point the eyes at head" I am trying to follow that. When you right click on the head of the opposite partner, I assume there are several options and one of them is pointing the eyes at the head? Is there a popup/dropdown with the options?

Here are easier instructions.

1. In scene view expand first figure until both left eye and right eye are visible. To multiple select hold ctrl key down at the same time while clicking with mouse. Both eyes will select.

2. In the main window right click on the head of the opposite partner. You will see a popup with options: point rye or leye at head. (for some reason it won't display both options to point both eyes, but it will do it.

3. Eyes will point appropriately.

edited December 1969

right click on your task bar bring up task manager click on the performance tab.....it will show you there

SereneNight : what outfit does she have on that is beautiful.....thanks ooops I guess that the renaissance tunic......OMG I have never visited there before....Thanks now I have to buy the Medieval royalty for M4....LOL keep in mind I am new at this but I love this outfit.....its all in the lighting which I have to work on

Looks good. =-) Xurge3d's site is also 50% off right now on some of his older stuff. Make surs to sign up for the coupon list.

His clothing is beautiful and mostly practical .

This v4 tunic also looks quite nice on male genesis autofit.

edited December 2013

Novica said:
    My studio is stuck when rendering. It is stalling at 31%. I may need to delete some stuff- does having a lot installed slow down render? I have a lot of free space, but how do I check RAM in the task manager? (I assume that's where I check it, when the render stalls out?) I don't know what I am looking for. RAM problems would be the first logical place to start. So my llama render is on hold (and it's cute, darn it.)

Jaderail has said having a lot of stuff installed will not slow you down, except for morphs. Morphs add to slow load times, and I can confirm that is true. To me those really do slow my machine's load time.

Quick way to check your system specs:

Go to the Window start menu
    At the cmd (where you normally search) type: dxdiag

All your hardware specs will be visible.

Memory will be under the first tab.

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    edited December 1969

SereneNight did you find the Predatron lights had a long render time? I tried using them yesterday and the render took forever, I am wondering if it was the lights. Love those couple poses added to my wishlist

edited December 2013

I found that using uber area light and high shadow samples slows down rendering time. Alos, transmap hair, shadows and reinterject slow down renders of Genesis 2. 3Delight pauses for a few seconds. when the render buckets reach the top of Genesis's head. I wish I could help out more.

If you are running windows XP, you can press CTRL + ALT + DELETE to display the task manager. CLick the "performance" tab to see how much free physical memory is available (free) on your computer.

task_manager.jpg
    404 x 456 - 83K
    Post edited by starionwolf on
  • KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    edited December 1969

I am using Windows 7 if that makes a difference? In my scene I had 2 Genesis 2 characters - M6 and LY Harleigh, scarf hair, pepper hair, and the conservatory and one pred light. The render seemed to take much longer after I added the light. I was curious to know if they were longer rendering lights.

This discussion has been closed.