Novica & Serene Night’s Renders, Tips, Tutorials & Product Reviews PART 2

Comments

• TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited December 1969

That looks Great!!!

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

tjohn said:
    What is really weird is that there is no smoothing modifier. The suit and mask look like they have massive poke-thru in the Preview window but render perfectly. Stumped...

I think it renders quite well, but did encounter pokethrough with the boots and nails. I have had to go through and hide the skin of the foot and toes and ankle area to get boots to render. I had to zero out the fingernails as well. Not a problem, I do this a lot with Xurge3d's stuff too.

Here's another render. I think it looks great with DA glowing eyes. (yes I know I shouldn't put a character in the screen dead center, compositionally, but I liked it and it is late). =-)In Comic Renders it's a accepted use of dead center. I like the render but still have zero use for the item.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited December 1969

Your looks GREAT in the middle. It's directing your energy up. Love the lighting, particularly on the side of the leg.

• IndigoJansonIndigoJanson Posts: 1,100
    edited December 2013

tjohn said:
    Well, here's my first attempt with the Big Cat 2, Real Fur used.
    Roar!

Love it tjohn! Looks like you are doing amazing things in Bryce too. I really need to give that software a second look, especially with David and Horo's nice freebie from the Giveaway.

Catching up with everything else here, thanks for sharing those great renders of the super hero suit, SN. Probably not something I'd use, but looking good.

Question for Novica. Back in the now closed part 1 of this thread, you mentioned 3D Coat. Did you ever try it? I've been playing around with the demo version and like it so far. Your thread came up while I was searching for other people's opinions. Someone called Stu (whose work/posts you are probably a lot more familiar with than I am, as I'm not a Carrara user) does some amazing things with it and SY uses it in conjunction with Blender I believe, but it doesn't seem all that widely used around here otherwise. Would love to hear your thoughts if you gave it a go.

Post edited by IndigoJanson on
    edited December 1969

WOW talk about putting great art in the gallery have you all seen this artist.... http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/15942/ ...Trish

edited December 1969

No, we (my sons, going into professional digital animation, etc- are learning Photoshop and Lightwave. Steep learning curve on that one :) They are tackling Lightwave and Photoshop, I am doing DAZ and Photoshop. Going to be spending more time on Photoshop and less on DAZ this coming year as I need to get to Lightwave. We did get a Wacom tablet and I would highly recommend that, particularly with Photoshop.

Not sure if this was linked before in that other thread, but here you go: the comparison between Z Brush and 3D Coat. We are going the route of Z Brush first(since that is what the school uses that we might use.)

http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=14730

Keep in mind that is the 3d coat site, so their comparison of Z Brush and their product is going to be full of 3d coat biased people. If you go to a Z brush thread, no surprise what would happen there either :) This forum has a link to free tutorials BTW.

Here's an independent forum-
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=128634

So what are you using it for mainly? Texturing or sculpting/modeling? Sounds like the first would be 3dcoat, and the latter Z Brush according to the second forum.

edited December 1969

Thanks, I'll have a good read of those links. The deciding factor for me though will be that I can pick up a hobbyist version of 3D Coat for something under $100 (not sure of exact conversion) and even the upgrade to commercial use if I needed it would be quite a bit less than the $800 for ZBrush.

But I can understand why someone would invest in ZBrush when looking to do this professionally (or even simply if the budget allowed).

I had a play with voxel sculpting and it's something that feels more familiar (I once took a real world sculpting class) although I'll continue to build my skills with Hexagon too. So I'd probably be using 3D Coat for retopology and texturing, and Hexagon for making the models in the first place, but I'd like to try more of the voxel sculpting within 3D Coat too.

edited December 2013

WOW talk about putting great art in the gallery have you all seen this artist.... http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/15942/ ...Trish

Beautiful portfolio of work, thanks for linking to it Trish. You might be interested to see Dieter's website -- he has a book coming out soon too: http://dietercarlton.com/AboutDigitalArt.html

Post edited by IndigoJanson on
  • starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,666
    edited December 1969

Photoshop? I use Gimp. :D If you want a steep learning curve, try Daz Studio. Just kidding. I tried the trial version of Maya. Boy, Maya has lots of buttons and menus. I rather use Hexagon than Maya.

edited December 2013

Jindi thanks for the link....mega talent awesome renders

Post edited by Trish on
    edited December 2013

Jindi- what a cute signature link! Thank you! :)

What we have noticed about Lightwave and these programs that are so powerful- each menu has a submenu with so many options! You get training videos and they say they'll cover a menu item, and you're like, "No sweat." Then the dropdown has twenty things or more, lol!

My son just sent me an email with a figure wearing a gorgeous outfit. HE MODELED IT. OMG, it's got folds and cuffs, and a beautifully different belt. Done in Lightwave. What knocked me over, it's only his fourth or fifth thing he's tried. What a jump from a banana, ha ha! (But it was perfect, let me add. Textures and all.)

TIP: Great modern outfit for V4!
    If anyone still uses V4, I have to use Lilly in the RRRR contest and here's a great kit bashing outfit for modern use- talk about creative, I'm proud of myself- look at the products!
    Pants- The Songstress
    Vest- Urban Shabby Chic (wide open, tied with a string, but not to fear because...)
    Shirt- Adventure Girl Essentials: Racing Queen (goes BEAUTIFULLY under it.)

Most of the V4 stuff looks 60ish. I could not believe with everything I have, that it was so dated or just skimpy. TONS of characters and hair, very little clothing that is modern. Some great shoes/boots though. Things I have jotted in my notes that I liked in particular (and these may not be the full titles:)

Daiquiri Dress, Frangipani Dress, IA's Outfit, Lost Realms (mertail), Malvada (for evil), Modern Deco Poses, Nighthawk, Raiver, Urban Shabby Chic (a favorite), Veranil, Voodoo Magic Poses, Workboots, Flatboots (one word), The Songstress (pants that look like modern shorts- they appear like long ones.)

I could not get Facial Expressions for V4 to work.

Post edited by Novica on
    edited December 1969

Novica said:
    Jindi- what a cute signature link! Thank you! :)

What we have noticed about Lightwave and these programs that are so powerful- each menu has a submenu with so many options! You get training videos and they say they'll cover a menu item, and you're like, "No sweat." Then the dropdown has twenty things or more, lol!

I noticed the same thing with the trial version of Maya: It has submenus, I think. I wish I could still run Maya but the program has expired. Thanks for sharing the story.

edited December 1969

What were you doing with Maya? What did you like about it?

edited December 1969

WOOT. Trish just rendered "One small step for womankind" in her gallery. It will never make the rotating banner, LOL.

Trish, I'll let you do the honors and post the link. Hey, that would be a catchy title...better yet, due to the lack of clothing, "A Leap For Womankind"

edited December 2013

Scribus
    http://www.scribus.net/canvas/Scribus

Head over to Starionwolf's thread and ask her about this- she's having fun! (Post over there, not here please so all the comments are in one place.) Keep an eye on her thread, and Trish's too. Trish has a very nice variety.

Starionwolf's:
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/27814/P90/#503626

Trish's- and it starts with one of my favorites subjects of course!
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/28462/

Post edited by Novica on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
    edited December 2013

Today’s Review is:

v4 male superhero poses
    http://www.daz3d.com/v4-male-superhero-poses
    Digiport

With grateful thanks for Slosh's Handy Dandy http://www.daz3d.com/handy-dandy

I tend to not use gen4 characters, but it doesn’t stop me from using their awesome poses on genesis and genesis 2. In this case, this set is one I totally love. It is v4 Male superhero poses. With the help of Handy Dandy, you can really get a lot of mileage from these poses with gen2 and I think they look really cool for Science sci-fi renders, combat, spell casting, or just any scene where action is needed. The set is quite well done and has a number of really useful poses.

Here, I had my character Shaun, recently converted to gen2 modeling some of these poses for you.

Some things I discovered while rendering these images:

1. The New Super Hero Suit for Gen2 males responds to Xurge3d’s hide body parts utility, allowing you to expose arms, and legs, even if this is not part of the clothing preset. This will likely work with any hide body part utility, so it is something to try if you want to take the arms off your bodsuit like I did with Shaun's top.

2. The New Super Hero suit layers with lots of different content so you can deck out your hero in style. I took content from 4 different sets to customize Shaun.

3. In designing Shaun I found that if you lower the androgynous morph you get a more appealing male face. (at least to my tastes).

4. I have a copy of Handy Dandy product to the folder that contains V4 Male Superhero poses making it easier to apply the hand and feet fix.

handy-handy-post.jpg
    568 x 852 - 108K
    Post-_v4_superhero2.jpg
    710 x 852 - 116K
    handy-handy-applied.jpg
    568 x 852 - 96K
    Post-_v4_superhero.jpg
    710 x 852 - 110K
    Post edited by Serene Night on
    edited December 1969

Question-
    You said- "The New Super Hero Suit for Gen2 males responds to Xurge3d’s hide body parts utility."
    Why do you need that? Does it do something that you can't do by simply clicking off the body part?

All of these have nice energy- like a coiled bundle ready to tackle anything.

edited December 1969

The forum ate my post. grr.

Novica said:
    What were you doing with Maya? What did you like about it?

Its been a while since I have used Maya. I wanted to create little props and scenes for fun even if I couldn't export them to another program. I tried it before I heard of Daz Studio and Hexagon. I like how it has different modes that display certain toolbars for certain tasks. Like, if I select "modeling mode," the menus and toolbars related to creating and moving polygons will appear. The icons on the toolbars are bright. It came with a decent tutorial too.

That is all I can remember. I remember any more, I will let you know.

I can still model using Bryce and Hexagon.

Also, it is pretty cool that your son can create 3D object from scratch. I am still trying to make clothes for the generation 3 figures. Bye

edited December 1969

Novica said:
    Question-
    You said- "The New Super Hero Suit for Gen2 males responds to Xurge3d’s hide body parts utility."
    Why do you need that? Does it do something that you can't do by simply clicking off the body part?

All of these have nice energy- like a coiled bundle ready to tackle anything.

Naw, in hindsight it only faster I think. It is a click on click off interface rather than expand hide each part etc.

I'd love it if there was a utility that came with the Superhero suit that allowed you to turn off different parts. Would save time that's for sure. =-)

edited December 2013

Please tell me one of you has this Stardust that's on fast grab.....I got her because of the sparkles in the make up and she comes with her own lights ...but for the life of me.....I can't get it right she looks pretty here as this is just a print screen...when you click on one of her lights it throws up about 10...and trying to adjust everything is well.........we all know I am a dummy sometimes...Trish

star1.jpg
    819 x 784 - 264K
    Post edited by Trish on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 2013

Please tell me one of you has this Stardust that's on fast grab.....I got her because of the sparkles in the make up and she comes with her own lights ...but for the life of me.....I can't get it right she looks pretty here as this is just a print screen...LOL

Trish she is poser only, if you read the product page. It appears to have DS by mistake in the compatible programs, I have flagged this up.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

Well that solves that little problem...Trish

• galactica1981galactica1981 Posts: 1,251
    edited December 1969

Today’s Review is:

v4 male superhero poses
    Digiport

V4 Male Superhero poses? Why would you call them male poses if they are for a woman?

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,010
    edited December 2013

Today’s Review is:

v4 male superhero poses
    Digiport

V4 Male Superhero poses? Why would you call them male poses if they are for a woman?
    Victoria 4.2 Morphs++ contains a male morph. Thus, V4 Male. Preceded M4.

Post edited by TJohn on
    edited December 1969

LOL, that shows how astute I am. I didn't even notice that! Okay tjohn, how did you know about that, o wise one?

BTW, Barbult won a prize over in the RRRR thread- congrats dear friend! I so enjoyed the cherry tree. Kyoto Kid always puts so much time and effort into the renders, wasn't surprised at that win either! My fishing pole paid off, that fishing render got third place for overall best, and first place for humor. Appreciate that very much, it took a lot of work not only for the pole, but the lighting. (two weeks folks. I wanted it to look almost postcard vintage, there were four spotlights just one one thigh fyi) Take a peek at the winners here- and thanks for voting and supporting all the artists. The ones that didn't place were extremely well done and undoubtedly it was a close race. People had a hard time making up their mind.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/33417/#494709

I'm working on render 1 for the next one, almost everyone else is in story 2, 3, or 4. Here we go again, I'll be lucky to get three renders done (need three or more for each story) And their work is gorgeous. Don't know how they do it. The first render is funny (won't give it away) but the other two are to make unrelated objects believable. Well, as much as you can put indoor objects outdoor. Having fun, that's what matters.

So far as Snowball, it's nice to see a gymnasium- I immediately thought about the cheerleader outfits, the sports outfits- and boy, can people have fun in the stands. (Okay you sexy minded people, you know what I mean.) I bet if we ran a contest "Fun In The Stands" we'd get a bunch of humorous stuff. The vendor should do that (hint hint) I always sat in front of the person who had the most energetic support for the players, screaming in my ear from behind.

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,010
    edited December 1969

Novica said:
    LOL, that shows how astute I am. I didn't even notice that! Okay tjohn, how did you know about that, o wise one?

I came across this product a while back. :)
    http://www.daz3d.com/victoria-4-gw1-4-male-bundle
    edited December 1969

Yep. There is a v4 male model. Can't say he does anything for me, but if there was only v4, I might've bought him.

I can say the poses are really good ones. Digiport did a great job. =-)

edited December 1969

tjohn said:

Um, that's scary. Even scarier- the third one isn't half bad!

edited December 1969

Novica said:
    tjohn said:

Um, that's scary. Even scarier- the third one isn't half bad!

I like the 3rd one's hair. Looks pretty good. Then again, I like dudes with longish hair, in case ya'll can't tell. Although short, is good too. =-)

edited December 2013

Top Ten For 2013

Okay, putting this out there- want to hear from you, as we wind down 2013, and (here we go again) the end of this thread (1500 posts) your (up to) TOP TEN PICKS for products that you BOUGHT OR USED this year. If you have a render handy, this is your time to help showcase your picks. Help people shop and reward the vendors who do a great job with their attention to detail, textures, number of props- whatever gave their product that extra "oomph" to make it to your list.

Here's the guidelines:
    1. You can list up to 10 products. You don't have to do 10.
    2. TELL WHY IT MADE YOUR LIST!!!
    3. You do NOT have to do a render for each one, as "bought" this year doesn't mean you've rendered it. (Tell me about it.) THE PRODUCT DOES NOT HAVE TO BE NEW FOR 2013. The requirement is you BOUGHT it this year.

4. Please provide the link. Make it easy for people to find the product.
    5.Your first one should be your top pick. Other than that, it can be random order. Please number each one with your name in the title. Aka "Novica #1" (my TOP PICK) then whenever I do my next one, "Novica #2" etc.

6. Vendors: You are welcome to participate to state your ONE favorite product you enjoyed making this year and why it's your favorite, and also pick up to10 others from other vendors that you either used or bought this year. Please label yours as follows:

Your Name: #1 Product I Enjoyed Making
    then for the other 10, just do what the rest of us are doing. I think many of us are curious about the behind-the-scenes-what-went-into-this aspects. Would a vendor be so kind as to let the others know on the PA forum that we are extending this invitation?

7. Instead of just picking the figure, aka "Genesis 2" or "Genesis" etc, please include your favorite character. That counts as one product.

Have fun, give this some thought. I came up with my first pick immediately when I just asked myself, "What gave me an immediate "Oh I REALLY like this!" feeling that has stuck with me. Spread the news to your friends and let them know we're showcasing YOUR top tens- many people still don't know the Art Studio even exists although lol, I think we've been found with almost 60,000 views thread 1/2. Yes, there will be a thread 3, this is my daily "fix" and gets me off my duff to use products and learn new things (and thanks to our regulars for their contributions.)

On behalf of SereneNight and myself, thank you so much for your support this year- I am so glad SereneNight graciously agreed to assist in showcasing the products and sharing her tips for her great renders. Now- let's see some of yours with your top picks !

Post edited by Novica on
This discussion has been closed.