Novica & Serene Night’s Renders, Tips, Tutorials & Product Reviews PART 2

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,869
    edited December 1969

And I only marked some of them! Smiley has a frowning pal, with one eye shut. Zoom in, it's funny .
    I didn't mark all of them, either.

aramonkSMILEY.jpg
    2000 x 1700 - 2M
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,550
    edited December 1969

Novica said:
    And part of the set. I'll try to rotate and show you more tomorrow. :)

One thing that gave me the giggles, there is a repeating smiley face in the columns because the texture is tiled. Do you see it?

Yes, I see it, now that you pointed it out. I don't think I ever would have noticed on my own.
    edited December 1969

You can always make the white or silver hair options blonde by adding a darkened yellow in the diffuse color

Good point :)

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,055
    edited December 1969

Novica said:
    Very clever!
    Still can't say I'd want to hang out with that dude, lol!)

Looks like a Klingon from The Original Series. :)
  • KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    edited December 1969

Serene Night..thanks for the tip about removing hair that covers the ears...I have been searching for a fix for that as there aren't many hairs that don't cover the ears. I will try that out today :)

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,582
    edited December 1969

Kharma said:
    Serene Night..thanks for the tip about removing hair that covers the ears...I have been searching for a fix for that as there aren't many hairs that don't cover the ears. I will try that out today :)

Thanks! =-) This was a useful tip someone posted a while back, and I felt it was definitely worth sharing.

edited December 2013

Today’s Review is:

Martian War Machine
    http://www.daz3d.com/martian-war-machine
    DAZ 3d, KuroKuma

Other Products included in the render:

Tin Pan Alley: http://www.daz3d.com/tin-pan-alley
    Police Officer: http://www.daz3d.com/police-officer
    Police Car http://www.daz3d.com/the-police-car
    Infantry Combat Equipmenthttp://www.daz3d.com/infantry-combat-equipment
    M4 Combat Uniformhttp://www.daz3d.com/sales-promotions/m4-army-combat-uniform
    Winter Kingdom: Castle Ruins http://www.daz3d.com/winter-kingdom-castle-ruins

I must say this mechanized monster is a great deal of fun. If you like HG wells classic critter, or the remake version you can’t go wrong with this mech. There are two different styles included a modern and an old timey version and the machine has poseable legs, turret and hips, and includes a non posable, (but movable) tentacle-like arm as well as a cage to collect… Food.

The mech renders well, and has quite a lot of detail. It looks great menacing a city of hapless citizens, or looming over the horizon… And right now if you are in the pc club it sells for… Just 1 dollar.

Image 1: Just the default classic version mech
    Image 2: The mech with basket and tentacles
    Image 3: The mech tearing up Tin Pan Alley
    Image 4: The mechs at Winter Kingdon: Castle Ruins by Stonemason

Overall, this is a great little mech, and a useful addition to your library of science fiction critters, especially if you like classic sci-fi.

mechs2.jpg
    1136 x 426 - 412K
    image3-final.jpg
    994 x 1136 - 476K
    image2-basket-tentacle.jpg
    994 x 1136 - 170K
    image1-classic.jpg
    994 x 1136 - 149K
    Post edited by Serene Night on
    edited December 1969

tjohn said:
    Novica said:
    Very clever!
    Still can't say I'd want to hang out with that dude, lol!)

Looks like a Klingon from The Original Series. :)

I actually prefer the original Klingons =-), so thanks! =-)

edited December 1969

I like the flying up in the air garbage can, nice touch. He's going to have bigger worries than a can if that car comes down the street/alley.

For the DM Aramonk: Here's the large shot showing how you can use the niche, expand it horizontally and place it behind the smaller niche, to create a long wall. Then I placed panels to create that little wall section, which looks good when you plop some of the floor torches in the corner. If it were me, I'd darken the floor to a darker brown, but that's just personal preference.

aramonkDeborahJulieTimeTravlr8.jpg
    1500 x 1275 - 1M
    edited December 2013

BTW, http://www.daz3d.com/m4-army-combat-uniform in SereneNight's render is on sale 65% off.
    It features the 4th Infantry Division patch, which was MY division when I was an Army officer :) So of course I just bought it.
    The http://www.daz3d.com/ice-pack-three is on sale 50% off. I've asked in another thread why pack 1 isn't on sale, as it has a carbine prop. If pack 3 is on sale, 1 should be. At least that's my argument.

EDIT: This is on sale too- 65% off.
    http://www.daz3d.com/infantry-combat-equipment

Post edited by Novica on
    edited December 1969

I'm betting his partner or one of the army guys will grab him-hopefully before that vehicle gets him!

Thanks for catching those other items on sale. The M4 army uniform is great and very useful. =-) There is also a version for Victoria 4, but I refuse to buy the same thing twice for each gender. I'll just autofit m4's to v5!

Would love an updated police vehicle! But that was the best I could do.

• Tramp GraphicsTramp Graphics Posts: 2,407
    edited December 1969

It definitely looks like a nice set. I do wish it had a full compliment of rank insignias though—all of the Enlisted/NCO grades, Warrant Officer grades, and Officer grades. As it stands, it only has a few Enlisted and Officer ranks, not the full compliment of each. Blank name tags would be nice too for making your own characters' uniforms.

edited December 2013

DAZ Kraig was kind enough to point out that there is a higher poly count in one version of the Martian War Machine vs. The older version. For some reason I thought there were two different shaped models included. Must be getting senile! =-)

Anyway, apologies for the error. I have corrected the review. I've also dredged up another image I did of the mechs a while ago and added it to the review. =-)

Post edited by Serene Night on
    edited December 1969

Those cars that I listed a few posts ago had police somethings. I'm going to go look. It may have been the futuristic cars plus the other cars.

edited December 2013

It definitely looks like a nice set. I do wish it had a full compliment of rank insignias though—all of the Enlisted/NCO grades, Warrant Officer grades, and Officer grades. As it stands, it only has a few Enlisted and Officer ranks, not the full compliment of each. Blank name tags would be nice too for making your own characters' uniforms.

It might not be too hard to just come up with the texture and then use a primitive. I'll have to look at it. EDIT: The Fabricator may already have one.

Post edited by Novica on
    edited December 1969

Novica said:
    Those cars that I listed a few posts ago had police somethings. I'm going to go look. It may have been the futuristic cars plus the other cars.

This one is the one you are thinking of: http://www.daz3d.com/traffikar it has a police expansion. I wishlisted this when you mentioned it because it looked cool.

edited December 1969

Okay, the pickup trucks do have a police one, but you have to buy a lot of trucks (the main product) to get the police. However, I was impressed with the variety and the other products which then give you a slew of vehicles by changing the condition of them and the colors/labeling.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/28138/P1155/#492859

edited December 1969
    edited December 1969

Voting is up- please go vote in the RRRR thread. That's the whacky one that I made the fishing pole for so Gunner could hook Morgan's bikini, and did the jellyfish render. Also note Barbult has some really funny ones in there too. If you liked that we told a story, Totte is going to take Barbult's idea of continuing with a story throughout the renders, for the next RRRR contest coming up. That should be fun!!!

So go vote for your favorites and see the really clever combinations that all the artists have done. There was a lot of work put into each render, you can image how long some of those took to render- so pick out your favs and let your voice be heard! (You are the judges.)

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/33417/

• Tarina KiviTarina Kivi Posts: 488
    edited December 1969

City Ruins: Vehicles by Stonemason contains a police car prop. It's low poly so it's not too good for close-ups, also it's a prop, so the doors do not open, etc. Overall it's a nice background prop however. You cannot see it in the promos so I will attach a quick render of it.

police.jpg
    720 x 480 - 109K
    edited December 1969

City Ruins: Vehicles by Stonemason contains a police car prop. It's low poly so it's not too good for close-ups, also it's a prop, so the doors do not open, etc. Overall it's a nice background prop however. You cannot see it in the promos so I will attach a quick render of it.

Hey thanks Tarina Kivi. =-) Now I'm just going to have to pick that up! Good catch!

• Tarina KiviTarina Kivi Posts: 488
    edited December 1969

Hey thanks Tarina Kivi. =-) Now I'm just going to have to pick that up! Good catch!

I bought it during the recent Stonemason sale (it was a real steal thanks to the MegaPA coupon) and was pleased to find out that there is actually a police car prop with clean textures in it. Since one cannot see it in the promos it's not too obvious (though it's of course included in the list of contents) that you get such an extra with the package. ^^

edited December 1969

I bought it during the recent Stonemason sale (it was a real steal thanks to the MegaPA coupon) and was pleased to find out that there is actually a police car prop with clean textures in it. Since one cannot see it in the promos it's not too obvious (though it's of course included in the list of contents) that you get such an extra with the package. ^^

Yes, I thought the set just included squashed vehicles which quite honestly don't have much use for.

edited December 1969

Kharma said:

Thanks! =-) This was a useful tip someone posted a while back, and I felt it was definitely worth sharing.
    The same holds true when fitting a helmet or such. You can stop the figure from distorting the helmet by setting the affecting parts to zero.

• Tramp GraphicsTramp Graphics Posts: 2,407
    edited December 1969

Novica said:

It might not be too hard to just come up with the texture and then use a primitive. I'll have to look at it. EDIT: The Fabricator may already have one.It probably wouldn't even be that hard, especially if templates are available. I'm just saying it would have been easier if those came with the set as standard.

edited December 1969

Remember Titan?
    I was playing around and tried Benjamin M5's texture out on him, and applied Subsurface settings. I really like the result.

Benjamin_M6.jpg
    833 x 1000 - 287K
    edited December 1969

I do too- he looks good!

• IndigoJansonIndigoJanson Posts: 1,100
    edited December 1969

Novica said:
    Voting is up- please go vote in the RRRR thread. That's the whacky one that I made the fishing pole for so Gunner could hook Morgan's bikini, and did the jellyfish render. Also note Barbult has some really funny ones in there too. If you liked that we told a story, Totte is going to take Barbult's idea of continuing with a story throughout the renders, for the next RRRR contest coming up. That should be fun!!!

So go vote for your favorites and see the really clever combinations that all the artists have done. There was a lot of work put into each render, you can image how long some of those took to render- so pick out your favs and let your voice be heard! (You are the judges.)

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/33417/

Thanks for the reminder. My votes have been cast. There were some excellent (and very funny) renders, I enjoyed looking through them all, the 'continuing story' made it more fun. Might take part myself next time if I'm feeling brave.

edited December 1969

Allow yourself some time, if you do enter for December. Since they are leaning toward the "tell a story" you'll have to do more than one render. It was all I could do to get two done, but that was due to making that fishing pole from scratch. :) I am NOT making anything for this next one!

I am SO proud of myself. I just managed to find a way around loading Ron's brushes into Photoshop, its on the other laptop which will NOT let me unzip the files. So I transferred them via external harddrive after I opened them, but the files were confusing. Anyway I have the Angel Dust and will play with it. Look out world, I'm dangerous.

edited December 1969

tjohn said:
    Remember Titan?
    I was playing around and tried Benjamin M5's texture out on him, and applied Subsurface settings. I really like the result.

Hot! What a wonderful render, nice lighting, and cool backdrop! Great work! =-)

This discussion has been closed.