Novica & Serene Night’s Renders, Tips, Tutorials & Product Reviews PART 2

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,869
    edited December 1969

Serene Night- When you use background images, what size do you find works best? Do jpgs work better than PNGS? Any tips for the thread visitors? I know you like Morguefile. http://www.morguefile.com/ and gaussian blur works like depth of field for folks who like fast shortcuts (in a graphics program.)

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,582
    edited December 2013

The bigger the better. IT depends on the file resolution. Typically I use jpgs and do not use any other format. Some Morguefile images are lower resolution so to make them look well you need to blur them. In general my idea is I don't want it to look like a photo with a 3d character in front since I do not like the way that looks so blurring hides that somewhat.

Another option is to use cycloramas. You can download an astounding variety from HoboBo on sharecg and use those textures with your existing cyclorama. Check the licensing though. While I stopped using freebies, since I find them tough to keep track of, his Backdrops are easy to use, and you can use depth of field to blur them and give them a nice look in DAZ studio.

Post edited by Serene Night on
  • Tarina KiviTarina Kivi Posts: 488
    edited December 1969

I've just used this technique on an image and it worked like a charm!

Oh! I'm pleased you found this helpful. =-) I find the godrays/beam of light effect kinda a pain in the neck in DAZ studio, so finding a quick way to do it postwork, is my cuppa tea. Glad it worked for you, and like your underwater renders- that sea turtle looks great! =-) And thanks for the compliment.

One thing I think might also be interesting to try would be to use a hazy middle layer to simulate a slight fog or give the 'light' layer some speckling to simulate motes. Haven't gotten around to it yet, but might be an interesting thing to try. =-) Anyway glad you like it. I was so tired of attempting to use light to achieve what is easy to do postwork.

Thank you, I'm glad you liked them. : ) I would love to see some of your renders in the gallery as well, it would be nice to be able to go through them all at once.
    I tried using AoA volume camera to get nice light beams, but it's proving very difficult to achieve the effect I'm after, I will keep trying though. I would love to be able to render convincing godrays, but I find adding things in postwork convenient because it is usually so much easier to achieve a nice effect in a short time. I would like to learn how to do more complicated things in postwork. Overpainting sounds very tempting to me. ^^

• IndigoJansonIndigoJanson Posts: 1,100
    edited December 1969

Those are gorgeous renders, Tarina! An underwater wonderland. I'll look out for more from you.

edited December 1969

Hmmm. So there are files that DIM can not do? For the RRRR, lucky me has got the Jet Bike textures, which means the Jet Bike needs to be used, and lo and behold, I had to do the download via the Product Library. I thought I was going nuts when it didn't appear in DIM, like perhaps it was one word, not two. But when I clicked on the ORDER, in the list, both of those have the DIM missing.

Are they supposed to? Does DAZ know that not all products have DIM?

edited December 1969

There are some older products not in dim. Probes Mechanical mayhem was not in dim for a long time. Open a ticket and include the product number. They will get to it eventually, up until then, manual is the only way you can access those files.

edited December 2013

Thank you, I'm glad you liked them. : ) I would love to see some of your renders in the gallery as well, it would be nice to be able to go through them all at once.
    I tried using AoA volume camera to get nice light beams, but it's proving very difficult to achieve the effect I'm after, I will keep trying though. I would love to be able to render convincing godrays, but I find adding things in postwork convenient because it is usually so much easier to achieve a nice effect in a short time. I would like to learn how to do more complicated things in postwork. Overpainting sounds very tempting to me. ^^

To be honest, I'm not a fan of AOA volume camera. Too fiddly for me, and not as well documented. Making godrays should not be THAT hard. When I try to use it my results vary too much. I like stuff which is easier to use and comes with a little documentation. Something that walks you through how to make it work from start to finish. I tried several quite a few times with the volume camera and only made 1 I liked.

I've decided postworking light effects are just more suited to my artistic style and patience level and give me more control of where and when I want the light to be. Hopefully eventually there were be a more easy to use light product out there. I've wanted to try over painting too... However hadn't spent much time dabbling in it. =-)

I would love a brush product that specifically focused on lit consoles, lit headlights, spots, beams and glows, etc., etc. Ron's light and shadows has some great looks but not enough. Given how many props come with non light-up parts, I'd love some to make gadgets look zingy.

I don't have a gallery I'm afraid. I don't know why. =-)

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,055
    edited December 1969

To be honest, I'm not a fan of AOA volume camera. Too fiddly for me, and not as well documented. Making godrays should not be THAT hard. When I try to use it my results vary too much. I like stuff which is easier to use and comes with a little documentation. Something that walks you through how to make it work from start to finish. I tried several quite a few times with the volume camera and only made 1 I liked.

I've decided postworking light effects are just more suited to my artistic style and patience level and give me more control of where and when I want the light to be. Hopefully eventually there were be a more easy to use light product out there. I've wanted to try over painting too... However hadn't spent much time dabbling in it. =-)

I would love a brush product that specifically focused on lit consoles, lit headlights, spots, beams and glows, etc., etc. Ron's light and shadows has some great looks but not enough. Given how many props come with non light-up parts, I'd love some to make gadgets look zingy.

Have you seen Isikol's postworked images? Amazing stuff.

edited December 1969

Jindi said:
    I love Maclean's products, don't have this one yet but it's definitely one I'll get at some point. The render looks great and is making me hungry! Thanks to you also, SereneNight, for more helpful tips on the best way to use Ron's brushes. You and Novica have given me some new things to try.

Snowballs... none yet. There have been so many sales lately that I need a new GC. Besides, the banners are a little off-putting right now (in my personal opinion) and don't make me want to linger.

I understand. I think the gallery banner is not to my taste either. I keep wondering if a render featuring a male character in a shorty shorts holding a big bottle and wearing a similar ensemble would go over that well. =-)

Maybe so. Is Isikol the one who does the superhero renders... I'm thinking of supergirl? Maybe I'm thinking of a different person. =-)

edited December 1969

Jindi said:
    I love Maclean's products, don't have this one yet but it's definitely one I'll get at some point. The render looks great and is making me hungry! Thanks to you also, SereneNight, for more helpful tips on the best way to use Ron's brushes. You and Novica have given me some new things to try.

Snowballs... none yet. There have been so many sales lately that I need a new GC. Besides, the banners are a little off-putting right now (in my personal opinion) and don't make me want to linger.

I understand. I think the gallery banner is not to my taste either. I keep wondering if a render featuring a male character in a shorty shorts holding a big bottle and wearing a similar ensemble would go over that well. =-)

Maybe so. Is Isikol the one who does the superhero renders... I'm thinking of supergirl? Maybe I'm thinking of a different person. =-)
    That's the one. :)
    I think y'all might like my latest Gallery image. It has both male and female skimpwear and my own silly sense of humor.

Connie The Barbarian

edited December 1969

tjohn said:
    Gallery image. It has both male and female skimpwear and my own silly sense of humor.

Connie The Barbarian

Hah! Great one! Nice to see a gender roll reversal there. =-)

edited December 1969

tjohn said:
    Gallery image. It has both male and female skimpwear and my own silly sense of humor.

Connie The Barbarian

The typical male/female dynamic in fantasy art is well-established, but a bit stale at times. Glad you liked it. :)

edited December 1969

Hmm. Feeling the urge to buy Ron's sci-fi brushes. Its in the cart right now. Thought I could hold off until a coupon, but I remember what happened to Ron's war brushes.... They disappeared from the store!

I think this outfit is really clever: Barbarian Wanderer: http://www.daz3d.com/new-releases/genesis-barbarian-wanderer That is a LOT of buckles. If I did more fantasy renders I might pick it up.

I also will pick up these:

GIS Biosuit: http://www.daz3d.com/new-releases/gis-biosuit

Yamaki Rapture http://www.daz3d.com/new-releases/yamaki-rapture

• IndigoJansonIndigoJanson Posts: 1,100
    edited December 1969

tjohn said:

I think y'all might like my latest Gallery image. It has both male and female skimpwear and my own silly sense of humor.

Connie The Barbarian

Sure do, tjohn! Now this is how skimpwear should be... "equal opportunity". :) Thanks for sharing it.

edited December 2013

tjohn said:

Connie The Barbarian

What SereneNight said. ^^

I've seen his images and I must say his postwork skills are amazing. He also mastered the use of ron's brushes. Two tutorials he posted on DA are worth checking out by anyone even slightly interested in postwork.

Post edited by Tarina Kivi on
    edited December 2013

Hopefully deviney will address the lack of said brushes in the DAZ store in the near future. Or we can always try to make them ourselves... : PI think AoA has written about him planning to make updated Atmospheric Cameras that would work better with his Advanced Ambient Light and Advanced Spotlight. They would basically be quicker and better. Maybe this will address the issue to some degree. I hope he does release such a product. I really like the AAL, I use it in almost all my renders now. Jabba101 has made some pretty good tutorials on how to use Volume camera and AAL. You can check them out here ----> Jabba101 tutorials on Youtube.

Just go ahead and create it already!^^ I'm sure people would enjoy looking at your creations as much as I do. It would also be a lot easier to find them. ;) This thread has grown into a monster. Going through it is rather difficult.^^ I've seen Novica's gallery and she promotes your thread in there which I think is a very nice idea.
    Btw, they are very nice renders Novica. ; ) I'm waiting for your RRRR entries to find their way over there. Those were very good images, though I admit that I liked the first one more. : )

Post edited by Tarina Kivi on
    edited December 1969

Jindi said:
    Those are gorgeous renders, Tarina! An underwater wonderland. I'll look out for more from you.

Thank you Jindi! I've been in a mood for underwater recently.^^

edited December 1969

I'm not ignoring you folks, I'm experiencing severe Cloud Fare issues- first I couldn't get on the forums with Chrome, then it locked me out with even Firefox. For a bit there, I could read the forums but not post, then all night last night and today I couldn't even view individual posts. It finally cleared up an hour ago. (Yes, I did hard refreshes, yada yada yada.)

The first RRRR one took three weeks to do :) I wanted somewhat vintage, postcard lighting. Morgan was very difficult- there are over 9 lights on just HER. My new RRRR renders will continue the story- Gunnar did more than just tick off the mama jellyfish with his catch. :)

• TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited December 1969

Has anyone checked out this new bio-suit??? I was wondering what boots or shoes would go without too many problems...Thanks Trish

edited December 1969

Has anyone checked out this new bio-suit??? I was wondering what boots or shoes would go without too many problems...Thanks Trish

I think as long as you match the color you are fine. The bodysuit is just a material coloring of the skin, so there is no real collision that I can see from any type of boots. I'll do a few test renders but nothing so far appears to be an issue.

edited December 2013

GIS Biosuit
    DAZ 3d, Ravnheart
    http://www.daz3d.com/new-releases/gis-biosuit

Hair: Osaka http://www.daz3d.com/osaka-hair
    Boots: Space Age Behemoth http://www.daz3d.com/space-age-behemoth-outfitwith color of texture copied from GIS Biosuit helmet
    First two Poses: Sedor's Powerful Gia http://www.daz3d.com/bwc-powerful-gia-poses

Backdrop: Cyber by Designfera

I own a lot of sci-fi outfits, and I really feel that GIS Biosuit is one of the best PC club items, and certainly one of the better bodysuits to hit the market in sometime. It is a really neat piece of work. The textures just look really cool to me, it renders quickly, and the neon grid accents look modern and sleek. DAZ and Ravnheart really have outdone themselves by putting together a product which has a modern feel without the Flash Gordon look that can make images look too retro.

What can I say? This renders like a dream, is easy to apply and has a nice sleek and smooth lines. About the only part of the costume that doesn’t enthuse me is the helmet. Not sure why. Just doesn’t appeal to me shape wise... Fortunately, it is easy and entirely doable to leave it off. I prefer to look at character’s faces anyway. =-)

Overall this is an excellent product which raises the bar for sci-fi clothing and the PC club in general. I’m now hoping for a masculine version, and more clothing items and accessories like this one. Great work.

Oh, since it was asked earlier, I found I liked Space Age Behemoth boots with this outfit. They are low enough to not obscure the leg markings on the bodysuit, and come in a variety of colors. They also are practical without heels which I like. Because I was having some trouble making a color match, I pulled up the helmet, copied some of the color from that and made a quick little texture to use on the boots. It worked well I think.

Images 1-3 the GIS Biosuit

render03.jpg
    813 x 813 - 407K
    render02.jpg
    581 x 813 - 308K
    render01.jpg
    581 x 813 - 315K
    edited December 1969

I'm doing random surfing for a few minutes, shopping by "Vendor." I am checking on folks that are not familiar to me. Here's some products that caught my eye, even though some might be duplicated by newer things or very similar to these. Also, not sure about level of details/quality as I don't know these vendors. Just thought I'd share the unusual ones. Hint DAZ, maybe some Fast Grabs....

Tako Yakida & Wee Dangerous John http://www.daz3d.com/artyficial-bedroom-with-poses
    Lots of props. Furniture is basic.

This one made me LAUGH with the toilet render and the product description- http://www.daz3d.com/inebriated-poses-for-michael-5
    (most of these renders could easily be achieved with basic poses. I just thought this was funny.)

Tyger Purr & Moebius87 http://www.daz3d.com/dystopian-kiosk-base-drinks
    Wow, look at the thumbnails at all the little props! If you're looking for a soda fountain, this has the interior with one of those. Not sure about the level of detail up close, but this would be good perhaps for big city scenes.

This was interesting due to the police expansion, since we were just mentioning cop cars. The panel inside the car has quite a few panels/gadgets.
    http://www.daz3d.com/dystopian-aircar-aeronica-v18
    http://www.daz3d.com/dystopian-aeronica-police-expansion

Torinouta http://www.daz3d.com/sci-fi-helmet
    I like some of these! Generation 4 helmets.

OMGoodness- for Aiko 3, if these went on sale, they'd be cute. http://www.daz3d.com/cyber-knight

Varnayrah http://www.daz3d.com/courtship-couple-poses
    I've wishlisted. I LOVE some of these! This vendor only has this ONE product. It's a shame.

Alice Mary Herden & mystikel http://www.daz3d.com/debris-brushes
    Interesting!

Alice Mary Herden
    http://www.daz3d.com/polaroid-backgrounds
    http://www.daz3d.com/fairytale-backgrounds

edited December 1969

Those boots look really good with that. I'm with you on the helmet- unless it's sleek and not overly clunky, I wouldn't use it anyway. Some of them, you wonder how long the character could hold their head up, lol! That background is quite complimentary too. Nice job gal!

edited December 1969

OT: Snowflakes
    This you just gotta see. For all my friends in cold climates, this is what is flurrying down on you! WOW.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/snowflake-photos-alexey-kljatov/20716778

edited December 1969

Yeah, the helmet looks cumbersome. I think a nice delicate headset or cybernetic temple implant or even a visor with a neon-glow would be more interesting. Especially given the rest of her isn't armored.

Designfera produces some lovely backdrops. I'd love to see some similar stuff sold here at DAZ. Makes it easy to do a quick no-fuss render when needed.

I think I have the courtship couple poses. Even though they are gen 4 which I do not use that often, they looked quite detailed and sweet.

I think that's the only thing I have on your list... I will certainly review that item next.

edited December 1969

I'd love to see them. I don't have them, don't know how they escaped me (wicked cackle.)

In case anyone is interested, I found Totte's tutorial on LIE.. I haven't ever used it, so might give it a try.
    http://4eyes.code66.se/?p=7608

edited December 2013

Aspen For Gia
    Gia 6
    The Tourist For V6
    A Bright Loft
    P & L Marsh Ruins
    Gia 6 Witchcraft Poses
    Terri Hair

http://www.daz3d.com/aspen-for-gia
    http://www.daz3d.com/gia-6
    http://www.daz3d.com/the-tourist-for-v6
    http://www.daz3d.com/a-bright-loft
    http://www.daz3d.com/p-l-marsh-ruins
    http://www.daz3d.com/gia-6-witchcraft-poses
    http://www.daz3d.com/terri-hair

The first thing to note- I used P & L Marsh Ruins for the lighting but my figure was WAY out of range for the one spotlight, so it was completely moved. I also changed all the colors of the distant lights. If you use this light set, you're going to get a much brighter scene, more suitable for outdoors. It would be a quick way to get three distant lights placed, so keep it in mind.

Aspen is super busty, I turned down those morphs quite a bit. This is with plain makeup, I'll do some with makeup tomorrow (going on 6am, headed to bed.)

TIP: Those witchcraft poses are really good for reaching and motion poses. Stop thinking witches and you'll see how many can be quite useful for daily life. For instance, this reaching pose.

Remember to turn OFF any parts of the set you are not using. A Bright Loft renders very quickly when you do that!

aspenmodernloft2a.jpg
    1700 x 1800 - 2M
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited December 1969

Here's the closeup of Aspen. It' 2000 pixels so you can click to enlarge/ click again. Note the texturing on her chin, very interesting.
    This is the "plain, no makeup." She comes with a lot of makeup options. I'll render some smaller versions for you.

aspenmodernloft3a.jpg
    1700 x 1800 - 2M
    edited December 1969

This is still Aspen (Gia) (still no morph adjustments in face, out of the box)

The makeup options are all extreme- aka, you will not find a natural lipstick option. I went to Surfaces and added a dull brown to get a duller mauve color. If you are willing to either add your own makeup, or dull it down, this character will work for you. She is not going to be anything other than a plain model or an extreme model otherwise. You can not select just the eyeshadow area in Surfaces, you can only do the eyelashes. I wish vendors could make that area a separate option.

Reminder: for glossy lips, turn the diffuse down to about 70 and the glossy DOWN to 70ish. Down means more. (Backwards, I know.)

If you do not have a graphics program, consider Photoshop.
    Lip Diffuse: 231 / 215 / 191
    62.4%, Glossy 63.5%

aspenmodernloft4.jpg
    850 x 900 - 508K
    edited December 1969

I like that last render, although I agree about the extreme kind of barbarian-lady makeup. I did buy this character, but her paleness, the makeup and her figure shape, ended up consigning her to the depths of my runtime. this was certainly an impulse purchase for me.

This discussion has been closed.