SereneNight's Sci-Fi Fun Thread 2

Comments

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
    edited September 2020

Here are some quick Boyd and Owen artwork. These are using ElaineCK's warm lights  thttps://www.daz3d.com/elianeck-iray-warm-light

Boyd-1.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 2M
    Owen-1.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 1M
    Post edited by Serene Night on
  • vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,813

Owen looks a tiny bit irritated there. Like if Boyd says one more thing -- doesn't matter what it is, just one thing -- he's going to drop him in the sand and leave him there.

• Boyd is a very powerful brain, but sometimes he is a big goof.  Unfortunately if Boyd can't be taught to swim, then he doesn't get to go on the sea adventures, and Owen will be sent with another Brain. That revelation galvanizes Boyd to learn to swim and do it well.

After all it is just like flying underwater. Kinda.

• I'm not sure I understand the collision process.

Lets say I want the collision item to be an exposed piece of underwear and the fitted Item the jeans.

Why when I select the underwear for the jeans to collide with does it suddently not fit the character. By default the jeans collide with the character. It seems logical they still would, but it seems changing the collsiion to underwear and suddenly the jeans have lots of pokethrough.

Is there a trick to this? I've never had much luck with collision. But it seems fairly straightforward. 

I'm not sure I understand the collision process.

Lets say I want the collision item to be an exposed piece of underwear and the fitted Item the jeans.

Why when I select the underwear for the jeans to collide with does it suddently not fit the character. By default the jeans collide with the character. It seems logical they still would, but it seems changing the collsiion to underwear and suddenly the jeans have lots of pokethrough.

Is there a trick to this? I've never had much luck with collision. But it seems fairly straightforward. 

It's because Studio only lets an item collide with one other thing, in terms of smoothing and collision. It can collide with the underwear OR the character, but not both. Once you have pants collide with underwear, it can't push away from the character. Some pants may have underwear morphs that actually expand the part of the pants that would otherwise need to collide with the underwear. (And I think Fit Control can add those morphs.) Otherwise, depending on what it is, you can put either a geoshell or bodysuit underneath and have the pants collide with that; if the geoshell/bodysuit has the zones for it, you can make it look like the character is wearing underwear.

There may be other ways to handle it, but those are the only ones I have experience with.

• Thanks! I wouldn't have thought to use geoshell. Somewhat sad though, that the feature only allows one collision. It would seem useful, to be able to layer clothing items that way. 

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,773

Thanks for your posts about saving poses!

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

I think the net collision effect is if the underwear is collision fit to the model then if you fit the jeans to the model they'll fit the underwear too as the underwear is fit to the model. It doesn't always work that way though; often enough to be frustrating. Occasionally I'll fit something that's problematic by fitting it to an article of clothing rather than the model but not often.

edited September 2020
    Hylas said:

Thanks for your posts about saving poses!

I find the process of saving poses to be overly cryptic. I hope this makes it easier for some people.

I think the net collision effect is if the underwear is collision fit to the model then if you fit the jeans to the model they'll fit the underwear too as the underwear is fit to the model. It doesn't always work that way though; often enough to be frustrating. Occasionally I'll fit something that's problematic by fitting it to an article of clothing rather than the model but not often.

Agreed. I don't see much use for collision, when it can't be used in conjunction with regular Autofit. It rarely seems to work for me. I will try vwranglers method though.

edited September 2020

So, I was messing around with hula hoops and realized I'd never rendered this: 

https://www.daz3d.com/hoops

This is a very cool product, even if there are no IRAY presets. It was easy to recolor it for this club scene. 

I didn't make the backdrop. It is an adobe stock image. 

Lights are Artistic Lights by Cherubit  on Rendo

Hula3.jpg
    1800 x 1400 - 2M
  • ByrdieByrdie Posts: 1,775

Don't think I've seen that before and certainly couldn't think of a use for it -- outside of a Beach Hoola Vicky --until now. Interesting. Lights and backdrop go well together, I must say. (I still kinda suck at lighting, though not quite as bad doing it in Studio as Poser.) Very nice overall. What outfit is that he's wearing?

• Thanks! He's wearing https://www.daz3d.com/shushuara-outfit-for-genesis8-males which is on sale right now. The head of the outfit needs to be turned off in opacity. there are different colors. It is a nice set. I'm not sure if there is a bulge. 

edited September 2020

So, messing around with JDA Wild west HDRI. Despite the name, it is easy to make them not 'wild west' and 'generic southwest' or desert encounter HDRI if you spin the camera away from the covered wagons, and saloons.  These "Dust Trail" HDRI, are really neat.

Overall, I like these a great deal. They would be useful for Western, Desert, Ranch or other types of renders.

Wild-west.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 1M
    Wild-west2.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 1M
    Wild-west4.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 1M
    Wild-wes4.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 2M
    edited September 2020

Moving on we are going to test drive a few scenes from the Middle East HDRI.  The ground in these is excellent, I can already tell, this one is a must buy if you like realistic desert scenes.

middleeast.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 2M
    middleeast2.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 1M
    middleeast4.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 1M
    middleeast52.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 2M

Those are all on my wishlist -- gonna be broke before I'm done. Right now I'm bringing my old M4 version of the guy in my avatar across to Genesis 8. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a modern equivalent to Drake Huntress hair, and I can't seem to get a handle on that one in Daz. It has to be long, with a ponytail, braids and beads -- his preferred style now that he's a civilian. Any ideas?  

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,155

There you are. I hope this proves useful. If you have anything you feel needs to be added or changed, let me know. wink

If you have baked to transforms, why is it recommended to save the neck pose control?

Byrdie said:

Those are all on my wishlist -- gonna be broke before I'm done. Right now I'm bringing my old M4 version of the guy in my avatar across to Genesis 8. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a modern equivalent to Drake Huntress hair, and I can't seem to get a handle on that one in Daz. It has to be long, with a ponytail, braids and beads -- his preferred style now that he's a civilian. Any ideas?  

Do you have larger images where we can see the side and back of your character, or a gallery? I can't really think of anything right off the bat -- the only thing that came to mind was Blue Soul, which is REALLY old, and hasn't aged well.

edited September 2020
    barbult said:

There you are. I hope this proves useful. If you have anything you feel needs to be added or changed, let me know. wink

If you have baked to transforms, why is it recommended to save the neck pose 

I don't always bake to transforms. But you are absolutely right, perhaps I should write directions specifically for that method. wink 

SavingInstructions for Baked Poses.jpg
    1062 x 1018 - 245K

@vwrangler  The most recent and TOS-friendly one is here: https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/252901/

Amara braids look like they might be suitable, they're certainly the right length and the front part of the head/hairline is closer than any of the others. I also have Evelyn Hair for the G3/G8 females and it looks very good except it has no long braids, just the ponytail. As for Blue Soul, I have that one too and it's another no-go. Even on my M4 version in Poser, I don't recognize him when I use it. :sigh: Maybe I'll have to figure out a way to kitbash what I do have that will work. He also looks pretty good in the G3 Kylan hair, but again, no braids.

edited September 2020
    Byrdie said:

@vwrangler  The most recent and TOS-friendly one is here: https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/252901/

Amara braids look like they might be suitable, they're certainly the right length and the front part of the head/hairline is closer than any of the others. I also have Evelyn Hair for the G3/G8 females and it looks very good except it has no long braids, just the ponytail. As for Blue Soul, I have that one too and it's another no-go. Even on my M4 version in Poser, I don't recognize him when I use it. :sigh: Maybe I'll have to figure out a way to kitbash what I do have that will work. He also looks pretty good in the G3 Kylan hair, but again, no braids.

The only other things I can think of are either parenting Vidal Braids to his head (https://www.daz3d.com/vidal-braids-for-genesis-2-male-s - I think almost every transfer method would break the braids), or some of the hairstyles by Samsil at Renderosity -- you could try cross-figuring his Senegalese Twist and Braided Ponytail, and then see if there's a male or other hair with the big poof front that you want that will work (they cross-figure well, but I haven't tried autofit, since that tends to break long braids and tails -- also be warned that they are both incredibly heavyweight in scene and can take a while to load). And given the way that Drake Huntress looks ... I do think kitbashing is probably the only way you're going to approach that look, or anything remotely close.

There's also https://www.daz3d.com/mrl-warrior-hair-for-genesis-8-female but that only has two small braids at each side. Might work for the volume on top of the head that you need, though. (That said ... be warned that it is INSANE. Lots of different parts that aren't combined into a group or parented together. I don't entirely understand why it was put together that way.)

For what it's worth, I tried combining Amara and Kylan, just to see what happened (you have to parent Amara or use Scene Identification to change its base, or it breaks), but Kylan has a LOT of volume everywhere, and the braids get buried.

I think the length is going to be a really big issue; almost all the long(ish) braided styles end around shoulder length or just a bit longer, and the style you're looking for seems to go down to the base of his spine. And tedious as it might be, Serene's solution of a bunch of wee primitives for the braids might be the best solution. Once you get something you like, at least you can save it as a wearable, so you only have to do it once. I hope.

Post edited by vwrangler on
    edited September 2020

Okay, so my final set of JDA HDRI's is Mountain Lake. This seems a versatile set, perfect for a ski adventure, hunting mammoth, or your swiss ski lodge. 

Mountaine.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 1M
    Mountain.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 1M
    mounysin.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 905K
    mountain6.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 2M
    Byrdie said:

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a modern equivalent to Drake Huntress hair, and I can't seem to get a handle on that one in Daz. It has to be long, with a ponytail, braids and beads -- his preferred style now that he's a civilian. Any ideas?  

Can you not just use the old hair?

I'm still working on the old hair. It's giving me fits because every time I get it as right as possible on a plain G8M -- parented not conformed because autofit just murders it -- it goes all wonky when I dial up my character. Probably been working too long at it and need to go do something else so when I come back I'll have a fresh brain cell or two left with which to figure it out. 

Damn, those Mountain Lake HDRIs look like something I can find a use for after all. I am so gonna be living on ramen for the next couple of months after this! Not to mention the PC sale right around the corner .....

What goes wonky about it? Parenting hair usually doesn't require much work at all and is pretty fool proof... I'm probably missing something here.

It kept half disappearing into his neck & chest and every time I moved it up to the head it was suddenly too small in some places and/or too big in others. The fix dials helped and I thought I had it right but when I moved the camera -- big fat nope. It's possible I loaded the wrong version of the hair now that I think about it. I have a couple, including one I'd saved that was specifically styled for this character. Will try it again & see how it goes. I might have to settle for faking it but hey, if it gets the job done ... 

Are you parenting it to the characters head?

• You can always try parenting the hair to a g8m scalp that comes with another product.this way you can resize the hair better. 

edited September 2020

I've had the outfit Operation Arrowhead Outfit for sometime. And this was my first time, I had to play with it  a lot.

The outfit is sort of the classic covert operative outfit, black turtleneck, pants, jeans, boots, and gloves and satchel.

https://www.daz3d.com/operation-arrowhead-spy-kit-for-genesis-8-males

The morning after HDRI includes some interesting nighttime presets.

arrowops.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 1M
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

Let me know how you like it.

I've tried it & it works. I know those things but it was nice to have it independently confirmed.

Also, what I hadn't though of but really like was your suggestion for a seperate runtime just for the private work, eg, if I buy Marvelous Designer I can save any clothing I make in my own runtime. Same with attempts to texture, FaceGen morphs, and such things to seriously declutter what I have to pick through to find what I was working on.

Also, I could do the same and set up seperate runtimes, one for each seperate person, anytime I beta test for anyone. I'm only beta testing for one person but it can take me a few minutes to find all the pieces of the latest product I am beta testing for them.