SereneNight's Sci-Fi Fun Thread 2

Comments

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
    edited September 2020

Let me know how you like it.

I've tried it & it works. I know those things but it was nice to have it independently confirmed.

Also, what I hadn't though of but really like was your suggestion for a seperate runtime just for the private work, eg, if I buy Marvelous Designer I can save any clothing I make in my own runtime. Same with attempts to texture, FaceGen morphs, and such things to seriously declutter what I have to pick through to find what I was working on.

Also, I could do the same and set up seperate runtimes, one for each seperate person, anytime I beta test for anyone. I'm only beta testing for one person but it can take me a few minutes to find all the pieces of the latest product I am beta testing for them.

Glad it works! 

I now have an Owen & Boyd runtime, which just includes them, and all the other figures textures. When I want to use one, I just install him.

I also have a plain runtime with jsut G8M, M8, and my pose utilities. 

It saves me a ton of frustration astion and everything runs super fast! 

I don't have the same issue with the ladies. I only have some of the female pro bundles.

Post edited by Serene Night on
  • ByrdieByrdie Posts: 1,775
    edited September 2020

Yeah. And it was definitely the wrong figure.blush I am making progress now, only thing is it needs to dial in the Hiro 4 fit to bring the head to the right size which then creates a weird look around the ears. I did not have to use Hiro dials on the original character, so I never noticed that oddity about it before and of course G8M has no M4 shape I could use to try and correct it. Here's what it looks like so far. Suggestions anyone?

Just noticed your suggestion about parenting it to a G8 hair cap. Off to try it. Thanks! Will let you know how it goes later, don't wanna derail your thread. 

Screencap_Hair_A.jpg
    641 x 460 - 180K
    Post edited by Byrdie on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,147
    Byrdie said:

Yeah. And it was definitely the wrong figure.blush I am making progress now, only thing is it needs to dial in the Hiro 4 fit to bring the head to the right size which then creates a weird look around the ears. I did not have to use Hiro dials on the original character, so I never noticed that oddity about it before and of course G8M has no M4 shape I could use to try and correct it. Here's what it looks like so far. Suggestions anyone?

Just noticed your suggestion about parenting it to a G8 hair cap. Off to try it. Thanks! Will let you know how it goes later, don't wanna derail your thread. 

Do you have Mesh Grabber? That might be helpful to push or pull the hair around the ears for a better fit. Or have you tried making the hair slightly too small and applying a smoothing modifier, collision set to G8M?

Not sure it will do smoothing and collision since it's not weightmapped. The fitting it to a GM8 cap has helped greatly, so far I have been able to reduce the Hiro 4 morph which fixes the ear weirdness a considerable bit. Mesh Grabber is on my list so if I don't catch it before PA sale ends I'll surely have it when PC Anniversary starts. Thanks for all the help so far! smiley

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,951
    Byrdie said:

Not sure it will do smoothing and collision since it's not weightmapped. The fitting it to a GM8 cap has helped greatly, so far I have been able to reduce the Hiro 4 morph which fixes the ear weirdness a considerable bit. Mesh Grabber is on my list so if I don't catch it before PA sale ends I'll surely have it when PC Anniversary starts. Thanks for all the help so far! smiley

Are you using the Hiro4 morph for the head size? If so maybe you could usr the Head Propagating dial instead ,if not then just ignore me ....wink

edited September 2020

The combination of the Day After HDRI and Gobo lighting is proving to be intriguing to me.  I hadn't previously thought to combine these two. But It creates an edgy feel.

reloaded4.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 1M
    reloaded3.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 1M
  • One thing, I have discovered, is Genesis 3 male, non dial pose expressions, look really good on Owen. I had sort of written them off, as not useable, but I was wrong. 

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929
    edited September 2020

I really like the gobo lighting

Post edited by nonesuch00 on

Very well done! I have those lights, not sure if I actually installed them yet, but I really must try them out if they give results like that. Atlas armour he's wearing, I see, anyone know what font is used on the nametags? I've been trying to do a custom one using the blank but no luck matching it. And I'd really like it to match if I'm going to use more than one in a scene. 

On the hair issue, I think I can proclaim victory!  It loads where I want it, stays put, has lost none of the morphs after converting to weightmapped and looks pretty decent once I throw UHT2 at it because of course it has no iray textures. Would never have gotten anywhere without you all here putting me on the right track so ... heart Thanks! 

edited September 2020

I asked about the font in the forums somewhere when it was released. The pa responded so I used it to make the tags, since Owen's last name is Kelly so I made his and Boyd's. Boyd's last name is Michaels and it is a bit long.  . I'll see if I still have the tag in my files.

•  

Byrdie said:

Very well done! I have those lights, not sure if I actually installed them yet, but I really must try them out if they give results like that. Atlas armour he's wearing, I see, anyone know what font is used on the nametags? 

I used Franklin Gothic Heavy for the tags. But I think the PA uses Eurostile Bold. 

Thanks, have them both so I'll see which one I like best. Did you grunge them up like on the originals or just leave them plain?

edited September 2020
    Byrdie said:

Thanks, have them both so I'll see which one I like best. Did you grunge them up like on the originals or just leave them plain?

I grunged it up with a gray brush from war elements most likely. I did try both fonts, but thought the one I used looked more compressed and chunkier. You sort of want the letters to be closer to the center. The longer the are, the more wonky the nametag

Kelly.jpg
    512 x 512 - 133K

Well, it looks like I've got the font & alignment right -- I went with the Franklin Gothic one because the Eurostyle looked a bit thinner to me -- but the grunge is driving me round the bend. So far every brush I've picked looks close in theory but not in practice and that Adobe preset picker is pretty darn small for someone with really bad eyes. Using CS2, does the war elements set work better in the newer Photoshop or is it just me?

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,234

this sounds like a lot of effort for something someone is going to spend 1 microsecond looking at.

• Byrdie said:

Well, it looks like I've got the font & alignment right -- I went with the Franklin Gothic one because the Eurostyle looked a bit thinner to me -- but the grunge is driving me round the bend. So far every brush I've picked looks close in theory but not in practice and that Adobe preset picker is pretty darn small for someone with really bad eyes. Using CS2, does the war elements set work better in the newer Photoshop or is it just me?

I still have the overlay I use for mine. If you want you can email me and I will apply the overlay and send it back. PM me, and I will send my email.

You are very kind but I do believe I've finally got it. Gave up on the brushes and got a png overlay from fixthephoto.com. Required a bit of extra work but so far it looks good. Now if I can just keep the badges from doing things I don't want ... just how rigid is that vest supposed to be?   

Screen_2.jpg
    403 x 564 - 62K
  • That looks good. It's best to keep the name closer to the center of the badge, which is why I chose a more condensed font.

Thanks, I'll remember that should I need to make more though I think the names that come with are varied enough for any extras I might need in a scene. Now I need to figure out the rank and beret badges. I want to be accurate enough for my story but not enough to get into trouble, though the research I've done suggests artistic depiction is okay as long as it's not intentionally and seriously defamatory and any actual commercial reproduction would need a license. That said, finding useful images is not easy -- while there are tons of them around I can't be certain of the pedigree when it comes to copyright. frown

• I think the selection of existing ranks and beret badges should be okay to use.

Yeah but he's a Brit. From a couple universes over and kinda kitty-corner to ours but still enough to be recognizable as such. Rank is Captain, though there had been talk of promotion. Commando with a medical degree -- if you need it fixed or broken, he's your man. wink

edited October 2020

On the subject of kitbashing women's content on the men, here is Wolfie's Christmas Crown G3F G8F

The branch loads first, you just place it where you want, and then apply  the christmas balls, lights, cones and so on. If you want to go nature priest, you can remove the modern decorations, and just stick with the pine leaves, and enlarge the cones a tad. Very easy to use for any figure, even though it says it is for women, it works fine on men too .

Christmas.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 2M

Cute! Maybe add a mistletoe sprig? Of course, he's probably gonna get snogged senseless even without mistletoe, he goes around looking like that but hey, it never hurts. 'Tis the season and all that jazz. wink

Byrdie said:

Cute! Maybe add a mistletoe sprig? Of course, he's probably gonna get snogged senseless even without mistletoe, he goes around looking like that but hey, it never hurts. 'Tis the season and all that jazz. wink

All in a days work! 

edited October 2020

Okay, so someone asked me to show the FE short hair Volume 2 for Genesis 8. I will render 4 styles plus rear view. 

This is a male hair that has 8 hairlines. I retained Boyd's sideburns for the renders. They are not included with the hair.

01- This has a high forehead. It may not be noticible from this angle. The scalp emerging from the forehead looks real, the top looks monodirectional and styled to the right. 

06- Higher temple, high forehead.

07- I do not like. The style fits poorly, and hair looks like it springs out of the forehead without a masculine hairline.

08- this is the lower style. The top looks similar to 1, but the hairline is lower, and the hairline transition less refined. It looks gelled and snazzy

Overall, I think this is a great hair. About 4 of the styles I can't see using, as they are either super  low, or rather feminine in the hairline. I will likely delete those variations. The one thing I wish is that the hairline was a bit more realistic. Some of these just look like a full head of hair merged with the head, and there is no junction or follicles just hair fused into the scalp. I will see if I can tweak them to overcome this issue.

rear view

one1.jpg
    600 x 600 - 264K
    one2.jpg
    600 x 600 - 259K
    eight1.jpg
    600 x 600 - 264K
    seven1.jpg
    600 x 600 - 265K
    06jpg.jpg
    600 x 600 - 262K
    edited October 2020

I think if you use a darker cap for the lighter hair, and perhaps parent it to the tousled hair cap https://www.daz3d.com/tousled-hair-for-genesis-3-and-8

you will have far greater control over this style. 

edited October 2020

Monster Slayer Hair and Beard

In general lighter colored hair seem hard to get right, and darker hair hides a myriad of sins, and in the case of this hair, this appears to be true. While I like the beard, the main hair is strippy, and Old school Genesis, with a loosely male hairline and sort of an anime video game look.

Here I used hair shaders to improve the hair quality. It is still strippy, but the darker tones add some highlights and break the monotony of the yellow shader used in the original style. The beard as well looks good the strawberry blonde shade.

monster.jpg
    600 x 600 - 263K
    monster3.jpg
    600 x 600 - 265K
    edited October 2020

Happy national boyfriend day! 

I wanted to test out some of my wardrobe options, and weed out the ones I never use to a shame folder. 

Boyd has the under half of the 50's fab outfit, and Owen has Aeon's souls Everyday 2. Both of which I like. 50's fab, is a useful basic, the Aeon Souls has a lot of options, and textures. 

11.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 2M
    edited October 2020

These were the survivalist poses for G8M and Heidi. I don't have Heidi, So I used a child made from P3D Design Janet and Growing Up. 

I didn't like the childrens' clothing options for girls, so I used male wardrobe options for Owen's daughter.

Bitty has the harness portion of the hotdog costume on. I actually really like the harness sans dog. It looks fairly cute. 

Survivors3.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 2M
  • HylasHylas Posts: 4,771
    edited October 2020

Thanks for the review of FE Short Hair Vol. 2. I'm considering buying that hair... the clay renders look really good, but then the other promo pictures don't look all that great. It looks to me like the PAs didn't put much work into them. Perhaps they were on a tight timeline?

What do you think is the best of the three, FE Short Hair Vol. 2, Spiky Hair, or Togatta Hair? If you have all three, that is.

Post edited by Hylas on