SereneNight's Sci-Fi Fun Thread 2

Comments

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,553
    edited October 2020

FE Short hair Volume 2's big selling point is the hairlines. But when half are female and unisex  hairlines, that doesn't make it particularly useful to people wanting to render men. The back of the hair is really well done, but only a couple looked good on Boyd. I think because the transition area between hair and hairline is very faint and this is more apparent in light hair.  In some of the styles the scalp seems to burrow into the head, making it look funny. There are minimal adjustments with this hair. Compare the hairline to Spikey, and you'll see why Spikey has the overall better, more distinctive hairline. Also nearly all the male hairs except those with the famale scalp options are on the receding spectrum. 

Spikey Hair, is more memory intensive. It has a very masculine male hairline, and some great details. It does not have a part so the transition area from the top long hair to the front is more of a combover style. I think I'd have preferred a part on one side to make the combover in the front seem more realistic.  but I do really like the hairline. It is very masculine and sharp. 

Togatta hair is dforce only, so requires I use a version of Studio that doesn't work well on my machine. It includes a lot of detailed styles, color options, and Render presets. The hairs are very fine, and sort of on the messy side. The hairline is less defined than Spikey, but more defined than FE. It dForced quickly. 

I guess I'd give Spikehair top rating for the best hairline, since its most visible and distinctive than any of the others and it has the razored look I personally prefer.  It is also brought in more at the temple, and has some edge to it . Togatta is next, followed last by FE

Style wise I think I like the way FE Short hair, is styled. It has a more clean cut razored look, that is my preference. It is however more repetitive than either Spikey or Togatta, and has a ambiguous hairline.

From a realistic point of view Redz or Sotos are the more realistic options.

If I had to choose one, that is best, it would be Sotos. His hair has the most attention to details that I like in a hairstyle. There is no combed over hairlines, and the razored hairline looks great. The two tone haircolors also add some depth and realism I think. 

There you go. Tell me which you like best. 

Spikey.png
    1000 x 1000 - 2M
    Togatta.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 692K
    FE.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 689K
    Post edited by Serene Night on
  • nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,239

FE Short hair Volume 2's big selling point is the hairlines. But when half are female and unisex  hairlines, that doesn't make it particularly useful to people wanting to render men. The back of the hair is really well done, but only a couple looked good on Boyd. I think because the transition area between hair and hairline is very faint and this is more apparent in light hair.  In some of the styles the scalp seems to burrow into the head, making it look funny. There are minimal adjustments with this hair. Compare the hairline to Spikey, and you'll see why Spikey has the overall better, more distinctive hairline. 

Spikey Hair, is more memory intensive. It has a very masculine male hairline, and some great details. It does not have a part so the transition area from the top long hair to the front is more of a combover style. I think I'd have preferred a part on one side to make the combover in the front seem more realistic.  but I do really like the hairline. It is very masculine and sharp. 

Togatta hair is dforce only, so requires I use a version of Studio that doesn't work well on my machine. It includes a lot of detailed styles, color options, and Render presets. The hairs are very fine, and sort of on the messy side. The hairline is less defined than Spikey, but more defined than FE. It dForced quickly. 

I guess I'd give Spikehair top rating for the best hairline, since its most visible and distinctive than any of the others and it has the razored look I personally prefer.  It is also brought in more at the temple, and has some edge to it . Togatta is next, followed last by FE

Style wise I think I like the way FE Short hair, is styled. It has a more clean cut razored look, that is my preference. It is however more repetitive than either Spikey or Togatta, and has a ambiguous hairline.

There you go. Tell me which you like best. 

I was also going mention https://www.daz3d.com/gustavo-hair-for-genesis-8-males which I also like.

Thanks for showing that hair. I do not have that hair.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890
    edited October 2020
    nemesis10 said:

That looks like Mark Wahlberg? Is that his name? I think it's the singer they used to call Marky Mark?

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • HylasHylas Posts: 4,748

Oh wow, thanks for the extensive post! They really look less alike than I thought, seeing them side by side like that.

Spiky Hair seems to have been crafted with the most care and I love the realistic blond tone. But in terms of style it's my least favourite one. Purely subjective! Objectively speaking it's probably the best.

I like Fe Short Hair V2 a lot but it looks a little overstyled, like there's just a little too much gel in there. I put it on my wishlist for now.

Togatta Hair is the hardest to judge. I don't love the shape of it in your comparison render, but then again the hair seems to have a lot of different morphs. I'll probably get it and experiment with it some. I can always return it if I can't get it to look the way I want.

Again, thanks!

• nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,239
    Hylas said:

Oh wow, thanks for the extensive post! They really look less alike than I thought, seeing them side by side like that.

Spiky Hair seems to have been crafted with the most care and I love the realistic blond tone. But in terms of style it's my least favourite one. Purely subjective! Objectively speaking it's probably the best.

I like Fe Short Hair V2 a lot but it looks a little overstyled, like there's just a little too much gel in there. I put it on my wishlist for now.

Togatta Hair is the hardest to judge. I don't love the shape of it in your comparison render, but then again the hair seems to have a lot of different morphs. I'll probably get it and experiment with it some. I can always return it if I can't get it to look the way I want.

Again, thanks!

My own ranking, If i had to triae and buy one or two, is Togatta Hair (the most realistic and most morphs plus I have a ton of products to alter the hair color and it looks great without Dforce),  Gustavo hair (I love the unstyled look to it and color changes are easy), Fe Short  is good (lots of variations on a theme, the hair is extra fun if you layer two on each other, and easy to change the color), and the least useful for me (Spiky hair; it is very well done but it always look like spiky hair, doesn't quite seem the most realistic of styles, and there isn't a whole lot to play with.  On the plus side it meshes well with Hellboy's other hair.

edited October 2020

So, to switch things up, I tested Fe Short Hair V2 on both Owen and Boyd.

13.5.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 2M
    13jpg.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 2M
    edited October 2020

The Eat Cake poses and props intrigued me. I'm always interested in food props, although I have never seen anyone eat cake that goey without a plate. At any rate, the poses are for G8F and work with G8M just fine. The downside, is the props require manual positioning, as there are no pose presets for them, and no parented props available.

cake.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 3M

The Eat Cake poses and props intrigued me. I'm always interested in food props, although I have never seen anyone eat cake that goey without a plate. At any rate, the poses are for G8F and work with G8M just fine. The downside, is the props require manual positioning, as there are no pose presets for them, and no parented props available.

I eat cheesecake without a plate. LOL, I eat it so fast it doesn't have time to stick to my fingers. Heck, it hardly even gets out the fridge door before it's gone.

• ByrdieByrdie Posts: 1,751
    edited October 2020

Oh my! "Beefcake Eating Cheesecake" -- how's that for a title? Or maybe "A Study in Strawberry", since he's apparently focusing all his attention on solving the Mystery of the Single Slice. Where did it come from? How did it get here? Can he trust his senses? Is it real or just his imagination? Hallucination? Are the aliens to blame or did he somehow travel in time? Because that scrumptious looking cake right beside him ...

Hasn't even been cut yet! surprise

Mmmmm...delicious!

Post edited by Byrdie on

Virtual reality cake? boyd the brain was hardcore into virtual reality as a younger brain.  maybe the cake respawns when you take a slice. Or maybe he has eaten a full one already and had to acquire a second one to share with Owen.

Yeah, strange there is no cake prop with a slice out of it. I can't even say it is from the bottom of the cake....since it has strawberry and icing on top.

But don't worry about the unblemished cake for too long. Bitsy thinks all things on the floor belong to doggo.

I did even find a strawberry tileable texture for his bikini!

edited October 2020

Here is Gunnar. His promos have him sporting a beard which is not part of his hair options. He includes bodyhair, gen hair, and geoshell face paint

NewCharacter1.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 1M

Well. Now I think I may actually like him, those promos did nothing for me to be honest. :sigh: Just not into Vikings, so most of the stuff in those new bundles is a pass except maybe for one or two characters and some hair. Kjaer is okay I suppose but I've already got The Brute and Maxx and a couple other heavies in my runtime should I need them. Not sure he adds a whole lot more to the mix, which is sad 'cuz I wanna support male products. On the other hand, my budget is really tight so even with banner discounts I'm not tempted enough. Maybe next time ...

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,748
    edited October 2020

I don't understand Gunnar's skin colour, isn't he really yellow? In the promos, too.

Post edited by Hylas on
    edited October 2020

Gunnar seemed on the sallow side to me. Granted, I have a vibrant art style, but I kept trying to re-render him thinking maybe I was going a bit too far, but yes he is yellow. I dislike his promos since the beard really is prominent in the product, and he looks radically different without it.  He includes 3 settings for his skin which can change the tone. 

This is basically a g8m character. No Kjaer at all.

edited October 2020

Here is Kjaer HD. He's pretty much a barrel shaped guy, and I confesss I find his blockiness somewhat of a challenge. He tends to look for lack of better word- a bit stiff. his musculature looks toony and odd to me. He has nice skin, and realistic body hair options, but I don't really care for this shape.... Too much. 

NEWGUY.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 985K
  • DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,621

but I don't really care for this shape.... Too much.

Agreed but I really like his skin and even more so the tattoo.  The body hair options are also good.

Daventaki said:

but I don't really care for this shape.... Too much.

Agreed but I really like his skin and even more so the tattoo.  The body hair options are also good.

Poor Kjaer. I will be using him for his parts! 

edited October 2020

Sten HD is so far, the best viking in the group. His body and head sculpt are very realistic he comes with beard, brows, and makeup options.  his skin is neither orange nor yellow which I like. 

He doesn't have chest hair, so we borrowed Kjaer's. Hair is by Soto. He also has Maxx's nipples, because, well, everyone should have those. 

StenHD.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 746K

The weird thing about Sten, is you can't find him in the store if you use a search. I searched high and low for Sten HD and could only find him if I used the link in DIM. 

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,808

The weird thing about Sten, is you can't find him in the store if you use a search. I searched high and low for Sten HD and could only find him if I used the link in DIM. 

You can't find anything in the Plunder bundle, including the bundle itself. It hasn't been properly indexed by the store software.

Here is Kjaer HD. He's pretty much a barrel shaped guy, and I confesss I find his blockiness somewhat of a challenge. He tends to look for lack of better word- a bit stiff. his musculature looks toony and odd to me. He has nice skin, and realistic body hair options, but I don't really care for this shape.... Too much. 

Aw. Poor barrel-shaped guy that nobody likes! At least it's a reasonably realistic sort of blacksmith body -- they tend to burly, from what I've seen.

(I am going to see if I can replace his shader with something that makes him look a bit less boiled, though.)

edited October 2020

Finally we have Bjarke. I rally like his sculpt, he's got a cute youthful face and very photographic looking skin. His skin has an olive cast, which is different from his brothers. He does have some baked in body hair on his face, and chest and some wild looking zits on his posterior which is a first for me. (Sorry they are there, but under the bikini)  But you can see a lot of fine details in this skin, look at the elbows. You don't see that everyday and he's got a fair amount of moles on his skin as well.

His sculpt is quite cute and he might look good mixed with different textures.  The body is quite realistic paired with this skin, so if you are looking for realism, look no further.

rear.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 1M
    front.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 732K

Aw. Poor barrel-shaped guy that nobody likes! At least it's a reasonably realistic sort of blacksmith body -- they tend to burly, from what I've seen.

(I am going to see if I can replace his shader with something that makes him look a bit less boiled, though.)

Yeah, I can't wait to see you work your magic. He can't help his stiffness.. He tends to just have this Spongebob Squarepants thing going on rather than the fluid grace of a Viking warrior. 

In high school, having moved to a farming area, there were a few farmboys built like that. At first glance you'd think they were more fat than strong but you've be wrong. You really have to be born like that that and then do heavy manual labor and there definately is not as much as the heavy manual labor like there used to be although the size to build on is already there. In fact, I remember a classmate who our P.E. coach (who was good enough to play professional NFL for a while and did so) challenged to a arm wrestling competition and the NFL player/P.E. coach lost. You just can't weight train the all around total strength and endurance that farm boy developed with supplements and weight lighting rooms.

edited October 2020

It seems I had to do an Owen and Boyd Viking picture. For no particular reason other than that I now own a ton of Viking stuff. Correction, Boyd is likely a viking and Owen is likely a Pict.

vikings.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 1M
    edited October 2020

Owen volunteers to test out the new filter I've been playing with. 

The environment is the bathtub in Holiday Hotel stuck inside AntFarm's airlocker. Why? Because sometimes you have to improvise!

CargoBayHoneymoon.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 2M
    edited October 2020

Dzheng's new wetsuit DZ G8M ActiveZ 3 - WetSuitZ is  a must have for those who like to render Men.

wetsuit.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 1023K

Oh my, you have been busy! Nice improvisation with the bathtub scene, feels like they're snatching a bit of time for pampering and romance on base or ship between missions. Wetsuit, eh? Have seen Dzheng's catalog on R'osity get bigger and bigger with all kinds of guystuffs -- I am gonna be so broke by the time he's done with G8 they'll be onto G10 or 11 before I'm all caught up. blush

Viking Boyd and Pict Owen, eh? Because you now own all that Viking stuff. Well, you can always say they're doing some sort of SCA-type battle reenactment. Or cosplaying at some fandom convention since I'm pretty sure that sorta thing's gonna be around for a long time. Not sure if Vikings and Picts were enemies or allies, been ages since I cracked open a history book, but I don't think it matters 'cuz I'm sure they'll have lots of fun conquering each other either way. To the victor goes the booty, by Thor. Let the plundering begin!  devil

Owen's job is to maintain Boyd and he takes that job quite seriously. winkIt is also quite fun to surprise Boyd with romantic overtures now and then.

The Pictish era and Viking era overlapped only barely. Vikings were a later era mostly but they overlapped around the 8th and 9th century.  Boyd would be some high status but he would meet his match in Owen I'm sure.

I would go with it being virtual reality. it is very popular in the future and Boyd loves playing games of all sorts.

edited October 2020

This was one of the JDA HDRI. The middle Eastern one. 

MIDEAST.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 1M