[Updated to V1.3 - now MacOS support] FLUIDOS: a fluids simulator plugin for Daz Studio (commercial)

Comments

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,308
    Havos said:

Hi Alberto

Thanks for the new version, I was really pleased to see that you have added an ability to switch GPUs, but unfortunately for me at least it does not appear to work, or I am doing something wrong. I ran two identical simulations, one with the "Preferred Device" set to "GPU", and the second time using "GPU 2". In both simulations it picked the onboard GPU, rather than my 1080Ti card. Is there something else I need to change other than "Preferred Device". Unfortunately the onboard intel GPU always fails with Fluidos. I can force it to use the main GPU by uninstalling the drivers of the "Intel(R) HD Graphics 630", but then I have to race to restart Daz Studio before Windows 10 reinstalls the driver again, which it tends to do within a few seconds, so that is not a great work around. Any help would be appreciated.

Using GPU :

OpenCL ParticleAdvector Device Info:
    CL_DEVICE_NAME:                Intel(R) HD Graphics 630
    CL_DEVICE_VENDOR:              Intel(R) Corporation
    CL_DEVICE_VERSION:             OpenCL 2.1 NEO 
    CL_DRIVER_VERSION:             23.20.16.4973
    CL_DEVICE_OPENCL_C_VERSION:    OpenCL C 2.1 
    CL_DEVICE_TYPE:                GPU
    CL_DEVICE_MAX_CLOCK_FREQUENCY: 1150MHz
    CL_DEVICE_GLOBAL_MEM_SIZE:     13686820864
    CL_DEVICE_LOCAL_MEM_SIZE:      65536
    CL_DEVICE_MAX_MEM_ALLOC_SIZE:  4294959104
    CL_DEVICE_MAX_WORK_GROUP_SIZE: 256
    CL_DEVICE_MAX_WORK_ITEM_SIZES: 256 x 256 x 256

Using GPU 2:

If I remove the intel drivers and quickly restart DS, this is what I get when I run the simulation using GPU:

CL_DEVICE_NAME:                GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
    CL_DEVICE_VENDOR:              NVIDIA Corporation
    CL_DEVICE_VERSION:             OpenCL 1.2 CUDA
    CL_DRIVER_VERSION:             391.01
    CL_DEVICE_OPENCL_C_VERSION:    OpenCL C 1.2 
    CL_DEVICE_MAX_CLOCK_FREQUENCY: 1582MHz
    CL_DEVICE_GLOBAL_MEM_SIZE:     11811160064
    CL_DEVICE_LOCAL_MEM_SIZE:      49152
    CL_DEVICE_MAX_MEM_ALLOC_SIZE:  2952790016
    CL_DEVICE_MAX_WORK_GROUP_SIZE: 1024
    CL_DEVICE_MAX_WORK_ITEM_SIZES: 1024 x 1024 x 64

Regedit and browse to \\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Khronos\OpenCL\Vendors\ then put a '1' next to any OpenCL vendors you want to disable.

I have a slightly different issue where I was testing on my Surface 3 Pro (onlyh onboard GPU) and FLUIDOS is listing 2 GPUs even though the above registry key only lists one Intel entry!

I tried that with the previous version and it had no affect whatsoever. I will try again with the new one.

Alberto said:
    Imago said:

_

Havos said:

Hi Alberto

Thanks for the new version, I was really pleased to see that you have added an ability to switch GPUs, but unfortunately for me at least it does not appear to work, or I am doing something wrong. I ran two identical simulations, one with the "Preferred Device" set to "GPU", and the second time using "GPU 2". In both simulations it picked the onboard GPU, rather than my 1080Ti card. Is there something else I need to change other than "Preferred Device". Unfortunately the onboard intel GPU always fails with Fluidos. I can force it to use the main GPU by uninstalling the drivers of the "Intel(R) HD Graphics 630", but then I have to race to restart Daz Studio before Windows 10 reinstalls the driver again, which it tends to do within a few seconds, so that is not a great work around. Any help would be appreciated.

Using GPU :

Using GPU 2:

If I remove the intel drivers and quickly restart DS, this is what I get when I run the simulation using GPU:

Go in the NVidia control panel (Right click on the desktop) and go to "Manage 3D settings" (or something similar, I don't have the english version).

In the second tab "Software settings" (again something like that) select DAZ Studio from the list and select which GPU you want to use it. No need to uninstall the Intel's drivers.

That should force DAZ Studio to ignore the onboard GPU and use only the one you selected.

Let us know! wink

Thank you, Imago.

I already have that set up from when I was trying to troubleshoot the first version. It made no difference whatsoever. I think the problem is that on my nVidia control panel I can only select the OpenGL device for my application, whereas I need to select the OpenCL device, but there is no setting for that.

dForce simulation settings lists three OpenCL devices. My 1080Ti, my Intel HD630 and the CPU. With dForce I can see what is available and select the correct one. It might be better if Fludios was to make the relevant OpenCL call to get the list of devices available and then list them. Just stating "GPU" and "GPU 2" is not very obvious for the user which one to pick. 

• AlbertoAlberto Posts: 1,382
    Havos said:

Hi Alberto

Using GPU :

Using GPU 2:

Regedit and browse to \\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Khronos\OpenCL\Vendors\ then put a '1' next to any OpenCL vendors you want to disable.

I have a slightly different issue where I was testing on my Surface 3 Pro (onlyh onboard GPU) and FLUIDOS is listing 2 GPUs even though the above registry key only lists one Intel entry!

FLUIDOS lists always two GPUs, but if the system has only one, whichever GPU the user chooses, the plugin will take the available.

This is because only the engine itself has access to OpenCL. There are two dll files in the package, one is the abFluidos.dll, the one that plugs in to Daz Studio. This abFluidos.dll, in turn, calls the fluidsim.dll, the engine. But the calls are only after the user runs the simulation. Thus, the abFluidos is unaware of the actual OpenCL devices. It only says the engine to try to find a second GPU when the user chooses GPU 2. If the engine don't find it, then uses the first one.

• Alberto said:
    Havos said:

Hi Alberto

Using GPU :

Using GPU 2:

FLUIDOS lists always two GPUs, but if the system has only one, whichever GPU the user chooses, the plugin will take the available.

This is because only the engine itself has access to OpenCL. There are two dll files in the package, one is the abFluidos.dll, the one that plugs in to Daz Studio. This abFluidos.dll, in turn, calls the fluidsim.dll, the engine. But the calls are only after the user runs the simulation. Thus, the abFluidos is unaware of the actual OpenCL devices. It only says the engine to try to find a second GPU when the user chooses GPU 2. If the engine don't find it, then uses the first one.

Thanks for the explanation, pity it's not possible to enumerate and pass them to the interface. Not a show stopper by any means :-)
    Alberto said:
    Havos said:

Hi Alberto

Using GPU :

Using GPU 2:

ok, I can see why a list would be tricky, but obviously would be desirable. Unfortunately the engine picks the same GPU for me using with GPU or GPU 2, I have no idea why, because it does use the 1080Ti when the on board GPU has had its drivers removed.

Havos said:
    Alberto said:
    Havos said:

Hi Alberto

Using GPU :

Using GPU 2:

ok, I can see why a list would be tricky, but obviously would be desirable. Unfortunately the engine picks the same GPU for me using with GPU or GPU 2, I have no idea why, because it does use the 1080Ti when the on board GPU has had its drivers removed.

Then, as the on board GPU drivers had removed, OpenCL in the engine can only see a GPU.

But it's not as important what OpenCL device is used, as long as it works, because there is no great difference between devices perfomance for the engine, at least for the current version (my plan is to optimize the engine as I update the plugin).

Alberto said:
    Havos said:
    Alberto said:
    Havos said:

Hi Alberto

Using GPU :

Using GPU 2:

Then, as the on board GPU drivers had removed, OpenCL in the engine can only see a GPU.

But it's not as important what OpenCL device is used, as long as it works, because there is no great difference between devices perfomance for the engine, at least for the current version (my plan is to optimize the engine as I update the plugin).

From the tests I have done, then it is true that the GPU is heavily under utilized, so you are right that a good GPU is not that important. For me it is important because one GPU does not work at all, but at least I still have my workaround to stop it trying to use the Intel GPU.

I suggest though that you first optimize the use of the CPU, rather than the GPU. The current engine only seems to use 1 thread, and that is a shame as most people have 2-4 cores with 1-2 threads to use in each, and most will sit idle when running a simulation. A multi-threaded engine would speed up simulations for all, not just those with a decent GPU. I have no idea how much work it would be for you to make the engine multi-threaded.

Havos said:
    Alberto said:
    Havos said:
    Alberto said:
    Havos said:

Hi Alberto

Using GPU :

Using GPU 2:

From the tests I have done, then it is true that the GPU is heavily under utilized, so you are right that a good GPU is not that important. For me it is important because one GPU does not work at all, but at least I still have my workaround to stop it trying to use the Intel GPU.

I suggest though that you first optimize the use of the CPU, rather than the GPU. The current engine only seems to use 1 thread, and that is a shame as most people have 2-4 cores with 1-2 threads to use in each, and most will sit idle when running a simulation. A multi-threaded engine would speed up simulations for all, not just those with a decent GPU. I have no idea how much work it would be for you to make the engine multi-threaded.

Of course, multithreading is a priority objective.

By the way, the CPU option in Preferred Device is an OpenCL option device (parallel programming). In fact, some computers could run simulations faster using CPU OpenCL than GPU OpenCL..

On the other hand, if you set Enable OpenCL to Off, then, really only one CPU core will be working and the simulations running are slower (but not too much).

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,156

This was a animated short using the fludios plugin. it was a little tricky but i was able to use the  plugin for the drinking glass the trick was I had to parent the domain and the mesher to the glass so it would move with the characters hand .. Still didn't come out as good as I hoped but its a start in using it in short fiilms

Ivy said:

This was a animated short using the fludios plugin. it was a little tricky but i was able to use the  plugin for the drinking glass the trick was I had to parent the domain and the mesher to the glass so it would move with the characters hand .. Still didn't come out as good as I hoped but its a start in using it in short fiilms

Your water effect is pretty believable, Ivy.yes

• Ivy said:

Lol that was excellent! Really nice work!
  • KitsumoKitsumo Posts: 1,210
    Ivy said:

Nice animation. I love the sound effects!

Thanks for watching guys .  Fluidos is going to be a great plugin tool for props fill ins in short animation. I can't wait to see whats next :)

• PaintboxPaintbox Posts: 1,633
    Ivy said:

Thanks for watching guys .  Fluidos is going to be a great plugin tool for props fill ins in short animation. I can't wait to see whats next :)

I think that was very well done. Spooky!

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,808

That was a great animation Ivy.

Thought I'd share what I've been learning to do with Fluidos. These are my two best so far. The first one uses a Fluidos source with an upward water flow with a 100 velocity. I did not include a sink so it builds up in the bottom of the domain. I used an Iray water shader from Sickle Yield's Rigged Water Iray 2. The second one uses 3 spheres as the source, has a 0.375 cell size (to minimize leakage through the glass sides) and has diffuse particles turned on. I used the Easy Liquid liqueur shader.  Both simulations used anisotropic settings.

(If animation stops, reload the page or click on the image)

RGcincy said:

Thought I'd share what I've been learning to do with Fluidos. These are my two best so far. The first one uses a Fluidos source with an upward water flow with a 100 velocity. I did not include a sink so it builds up in the bottom of the domain. I used an Iray water shader from Sickle Yield's Rigged Water Iray 2. The second one uses 3 spheres as the source, has a 0.375 cell size (to minimize leakage through the glass sides) and has diffuse particles turned on. I used the Easy Liquid liqueur shader.  Both simulations used anisotropic settings.

nice work. I like the glass falling  that looks amazing

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,092
    edited September 2018
    RGcincy said:

Wow, that water is cool!!!

Can you make the glass break, too?  I guess that would be difficult, making the broken pieces and shards.

Dana

Post edited by DanaTA on
  • RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,808
    edited September 2018
    DanaTA said:

Can you make the glass break, too?  I guess that would be difficult, making the broken pieces and shards.

I had the same thought but didn't have a good way to do it. I seem to remember coming across a product in recent weeks that showed a shattered coffee cup but at the time I didn't envision needing it. EDIT: Upon reflection, it was a Blender cell fracture add-on

Post edited by RGcincy on
  • DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,092
    RGcincy said:
    DanaTA said:

I had the same thought but didn't have a good way to do it. I seem to remember coming across a product in recent weeks that showed a shattered coffee cup but at the time I didn't envision needing it. EDIT: Upon reflection, it was a Blender cell fracture add-on

Cool, but I'm not into Blender.  Maybe we'll have that in DS someday.

Dana

RGcincy said:

The glass animation is awesome!

DanaTA said:
    RGcincy said:
    DanaTA said:

Dana

Yes, someday... wink

• ImagoImago Posts: 4,905

That looks great, Alberto! And great work to you too, Ivy! For some reason my previous post disappeared! crying

Alberto said:
    RGcincy said:

DanaTA said:
    RGcincy said:
    DanaTA said:

Dana

Yes, someday... wink

Alberto... Are you going to add more awesomeness to the greatness of your plugin? surprise

Imago said:

That looks great, Alberto! And great work to you too, Ivy! For some reason my previous post disappeared! crying

Alberto said:
    RGcincy said:

DanaTA said:
    RGcincy said:
    DanaTA said:

Dana

Yes, someday... wink

Alberto... Are you going to add more awesomeness to the greatness of your plugin? surprise

Yes, this is my plan. smiley

• The user's manual:

11. Call the simulator (menu Edit – Run Fluid Simulation).

Can't find it :(

The user's manual:

Did you register the plugin with your serial number?

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/3916516/#Comment_3916516

The user's manual:

Dumb question: how you installed it?

• Alberto said:

DanaTA said:
    RGcincy said:
    DanaTA said:

Dana

Yes, someday... wink

* needs a fainting smiley ASAP *

heart

• surodysurody Posts: 261

I have issues figuring out how to make a fluidos source more slim/small. When I lover the marker particle size the particles get smaller but the animation is really scuffed.

surody said:

I have issues figuring out how to make a fluidos source more slim/small. When I lover the marker particle size the particles get smaller but the animation is really scuffed.

You have to reduce the cell size and the source size too.

Imago could give you more advices, he did many tests with slim sources:

Imago said:

Glad to have been helpful! wink

For GLE, here a quick example. I used five sources here without any noticeable increase in the simulation's time. You can use more than that to obtain your shower! laugh

Here I am to help you, Surody! wink

Alberto is right, but just those adjustements won't suffice for a nice, narrow jet.

Here's what you have to do:

Create a Domain and a Source. In the Source parameters enable "Is Cuboid" and make all three sizes like 0.050 or less. Set your preferred velocity as you please but use only one direction. Since the source is going to be very small, I suggest you to create a "Placeholder" using a plane and parenting the source to it (Not the opposite!), this way you can see where it is and reposition it.

Now, in the domain set the Cell Size to 0.50 (Lower parameters will take way longer calculation times), Subdivision 2,  Marker Particle Scale 3 (you can play a bit with that to change results), Surface Smoothing Value 1, Smoothing interation 10 to 15 (depends on how much you want the drops to be one single stream) CFL Condition 2 and PIC/FLIP Ratio 1.

These are the basic settings for a narrow, unbroken single stream of water. No need to use doubled FPS, these will work fine with 30 FPS! wink

If you make 10 or 15 identical Sources and position them in the right array, you can make a really nice shower. You can also make a water-pistol spray adding the Diffuse particles.

One thing to keep in mind is that the drops will look "crazy" once they lay on a static surface like the bottom of the domain on a horizontal obstacle. To mitigate it (if you need) it's necessary to increase Subdivision level at cost of longer calculations. A solution for showering scenes is to create a very flat cube on the bottom of the domain, make it Fluid Mass and add a small Sink (matching incoming fluid amount) on the side to cancel the crazy drops and also have the effect of the water dripping on the wet surface.

Starting from these base values, it's enough increase the size of the source to have a thicker flow, for example a bottle or a kettle pouring fluid.

• I have seen a few people reference videos, but I am not finding a solid Fluidos tutorial video. Is there one?

I am fairly new with more advanced features of this, but I am trying to understand how to have the fluid interact with my character and structures. Right now the water simply falls through the character and floor. 

JDeerTay said:

I have seen a few people reference videos, but I am not finding a solid Fluidos tutorial video. Is there one?

I am fairly new with more advanced features of this, but I am trying to understand how to have the fluid interact with my character and structures. Right now the water simply falls through the character and floor. 

There are two video tutorials in your Daz library, at "/General/Alvin Bémar/FLUIDOS for Daz Studio/"

About obstacles (character, floor, etc.):

1. They must be closed meshes (characters are generally OK).
    2. The obstacles must be parented to the Fluidos Domain.
    3. Cell size should be small enough for the plugin can capture the obstacle or its the details (e.g. limbs).