[Updated to V1.3 - now MacOS support] FLUIDOS: a fluids simulator plugin for Daz Studio (commercial)

Comments

• kirbawirbakirbawirba Posts: 121
    edited September 2018

I watched the two tutorials so far and tried to recreate a test scene with

Domain

Source

Sink

Mesher

Mesher for Particles

- - -

1st simulation

I first had the sizes for Domain and the two meshers at (x / y / z / = 100 / 100 / 100)

Run the simulation. No issues.

- - -

2nd simulation

Resized the Domain and the two meshers to 200 / 200 / 200.

Changed position of source and sink.

No weirdly it seems for the first few frames the new simulation properties are used.

Then mid simulation the results of the 1st simulation are displayed.

- - -

I was not able to detect a jump in keyframes.

Do I have to clear the first simulation somehow before running a new 

Alberto said:

Now that works perfectly, too! I must not be doing something right. I was only putting in a source, not a sink, first of all, and I may be confused on how the key frames work. You have to set completion to 100% when you have the last keyframe selected, right?

Right!

Edit: Also, how do I apply a shader to it?

Apply the shader to the Mesher.

Edit2: You guys are the most patient, helpful people on the internet. I want to make sure you know I appreciate your help and hand-holding. Thank you so much, and feel free to tell me to bugger off, at any time if I get too anoying! :D

Don't worry, ask any question you may have. Daz forums are this way; later, you could help others! smiley

Ok, so, I set up my test scene about the same as the tutorial video, with a few changes, just to see how fast it would render with some settings jacked up. I got the same results. No matter what happens in the timeline, it renders the final frame of the setup, and pushing play, does nothing. There are no animations, just the final frame (which does look awesome, even though it took 10 minutes to run the sim! :D). Do I have to reset the timeline to the first frame before enabling the mesh?

EDIT: Resetting the timeline before rendering did the trick! I get all the frames! The only problem is, I have to empty out my baked files folder every time I run a simulation, but if I do a scene by scene baked folder, instead of using the same one, I guess that's not an issue, is it? Also, if I want to change parameters and run a new simulation, all I have to do is disable the mesher, fiddle with the settings, run the sim, reset the timeline, and enable the mesher, right? Or, am I just making more work for myself?

Post edited by kirbawirba on
  • I watched the two tutorials so far and tried to recreate a test scene with

Domain

Source

Sink

Mesher

Mesher for Particles

- - -

1st simulation

I first had the sizes for Domain and the two meshers at (x / y / z / = 100 / 100 / 100)

- - -

2nd simulation

No weirdly it seems for the first few frames the new simulation properties are used.

- - -

Alberto said:

Now that works perfectly, too! I must not be doing something right. I was only putting in a source, not a sink, first of all, and I may be confused on how the key frames work. You have to set completion to 100% when you have the last keyframe selected, right?

Right!

Edit2: You guys are the most patient, helpful people on the internet. I want to make sure you know I appreciate your help and hand-holding. Thank you so much, and feel free to tell me to bugger off, at any time if I get too anoying! :D

Don't worry, ask any question you may have. Daz forums are this way; later, you could help others! smiley

Ok, so, I set up my test scene about the same as the tutorial video, with a few changes, just to see how fast it would render with some settings jacked up. I got the same results. No matter what happens in the timeline, it renders the final frame of the setup, and pushing play, does nothing. There are no animations, just the final frame (which does look awesome, even though it took 10 minutes to run the sim! :D). Do I have to reset the timeline to the first frame before enabling the mesh?

EDIT: Resetting the timeline before rendering did the trick! I get all the frames! The only problem is, I have to empty out my baked files folder every time I run a simulation, but if I do a scene by scene baked folder, instead of using the same one, I guess that's not an issue, is it? Also, if I want to change parameters and run a new simulation, all I have to do is disable the mesher, fiddle with the settings, run the sim, reset the timeline, and enable the mesher, right? Or, am I just making more work for myself?

Remember you can have multiple domains in one scene each with its own baked files folder.

• AlbertoAlberto Posts: 1,382
    edited September 2018

Domain

Source

Sink

Mesher

Mesher for Particles

- - -

1st simulation

- - -

2nd simulation

For the first few frames the new simulation properties are used as expected.

Then towards 3/4 of simulation the results of the 1st simulation are displayed.

- - -

Update / Edit:

It now seems that this saved simulation is showing up in each new simulation even when I create a scene from scratch.

- - -

Is it necessary to create each new simulation from scratch in a new scene?

Or is there a way to clear the first simulation somehow before running a second simulation in the same scene?

Do I have to manually delete the contents of the baked folder before starting a new simulation?

In general how do I remove the simulation data from the .duf scene file?

I just would add to Imago and Rayglendenning answers:

You don't need to create each new simulation from scratch in a new scene. As Imago said, only have to delete the old files in Bakefiles subfolder (or select a new folder) if your new scene has less frames than previous one.

There is a free update that includes an option to delete previous simulation files when starting a second one.

The update was submitted to Daz a week ago. Soon will be available.

Post edited by Alberto on
  • I watched the two tutorials so far and tried to recreate a test scene with

Domain

Source

Sink

Mesher

Mesher for Particles

- - -

1st simulation

- - -

2nd simulation

- - -

Alberto said:

Right!

EDIT: Resetting the timeline before rendering did the trick! I get all the frames! The only problem is, I have to empty out my baked files folder every time I run a simulation, but if I do a scene by scene baked folder, instead of using the same one, I guess that's not an issue, is it? Also, if I want to change parameters and run a new simulation, all I have to do is disable the mesher, fiddle with the settings, run the sim, reset the timeline, and enable the mesher, right? Or, am I just making more work for myself

LOL ok, so resetting the timeline only worked the one time I did it... Its still rendering the last frame only, no matter where I set the timeline before rendering it, and deleting the folders in baked files folder... duplicating the exact exercise twice only worked once...

edited September 2018

Domain

Source

Sink

Mesher

Mesher for Particles

- - -

1st simulation

- - -

2nd simulation

- - -

Alberto said:

Right!

EDIT: Resetting the timeline before rendering did the trick! I get all the frames! The only problem is, I have to empty out my baked files folder every time I run a simulation, but if I do a scene by scene baked folder, instead of using the same one, I guess that's not an issue, is it? Also, if I want to change parameters and run a new simulation, all I have to do is disable the mesher, fiddle with the settings, run the sim, reset the timeline, and enable the mesher, right? Or, am I just making more work for myself

LOL ok, so resetting the timeline only worked the one time I did it... Its still rendering the last frame only, no matter where I set the timeline before rendering it, and deleting the folders in baked files folder... duplicating the exact exercise twice only worked once...

Don't reset the timeline unless it's really necessary (e.g, you want to erase all keyframes of a baked aniblock). To refresh the mesher disable and then enable it. Be sure that, at the first frame, the mesher have 0 % completion, and at last frame, 100 % completion.

• Alberto said:

Domain

Source

Sink

Mesher

Mesher for Particles

- - -

1st simulation

- - -

2nd simulation

- - -

Alberto said:

Right!

Don't reset the timeline unless it's really necessary (e.g, you want to erase all keyframes of a baked aniblock). To refresh the mesher disable and then enable it. Be sure that, at the first frame, the mesher have 0 % completion, and at last frame, 100 % completion.

I think I know exactly what I was doing wrong... I was setting keyframes either without having spawned a mesher, or not having my mesher selected when I place the keyframes at both 0 AND 100. It seems that even if it didn't render right after I run the simulation that I can still go in and set the keyframes, and it will animate! I just tried it multiple times, and its working great! Awesome!

2 more questions, and I think one was already asked but, what's the best way to alter the spray pattern so it fans out more, instead of coming out as a tube. And how do I apply a shader to the mesher? I thought I could just double click the shader with the mesher selected, but, I was wrong... cause I'm pretty dense... again...

Thanks guys!

edited September 2018
    Alberto said:

Domain

Source

Sink

Mesher

Mesher for Particles

- - -

1st simulation

- - -

2nd simulation

- - -

Alberto said:

Right!

I think I know exactly what I was doing wrong... I was setting keyframes either without having spawned a mesher, or not having my mesher selected when I place the keyframes at both 0 AND 100. It seems that even if it didn't render right after I run the simulation that I can still go in and set the keyframes, and it will animate! I just tried it multiple times, and its working great! Awesome!

2 more questions, and I think one was already asked but, what's the best way to alter the spray pattern so it fans out more, instead of coming out as a tube. And how do I apply a shader to the mesher? I thought I could just double click the shader with the mesher selected, but, I was wrong... cause I'm pretty dense... again...

Thanks guys!

For the spray pattern (Here is a duf example: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/3930406/#Comment_3930406

Use a deflector, like the cone in image. Set to invisible before rendering.

To apply a shader.

1. Select the Mesher and go to Surfaces pane - Editor tab. Be sure to select the Mesher name in the editor.

2. Go to Presets tab of the same Surfaces pane. Search the desired shader and do double click to apply.

3. In the Editor tab again, you should see the shader applied.

SelectMesher.jpg
    1876 x 778 - 196K
    Clickshader.jpg
    519 x 957 - 122K
    ShaderApplied.jpg
    519 x 957 - 93K
    Deflector.jpg
    1354 x 694 - 119K
    edited September 2018
    Alberto said:
    Alberto said:

Domain

Source

Sink

Mesher

Mesher for Particles

- - -

1st simulation

- - -

2nd simulation

- - -

Alberto said:

Right!

Thanks guys!

For the spray pattern (Here is a duf example: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/3930406/#Comment_3930406

For applying a shader.

1. Select the Mesher and go to Surfaces pane - Editor tab. Be sure to select the Mesher name in the editor.
    2. Goto Presets tab of the same Surfaces pane. Search the desired shader and do double click to apply.

That's exactly what I was doing, with the cone... THIS THING IS HILARIOUS! Lol I'm having a ton of fun with it, already!

Is the direction of flow oriented with just the x y z velocities, or is it dependant more on the emitter orientation? Like, if I rotate the emitter, will the direction change, too, or should I just use the velocities?

I gotta take a break but I'll try the shader and rendering it out in a fast scene, and report back!

Alberto said:
    Alberto said:

Domain

Source

Sink

Mesher

Mesher for Particles

- - -

1st simulation

- - -

2nd simulation

- - -

Alberto said:

Right!

Thanks guys!

For applying a shader.

2. Goto Presets tab of the same Surfaces pane. Search the desired shader and do double click to apply.

That's exactly what I was doing, with the cone... THIS THING IS HILARIOUS! Lol I'm having a ton of fun with it, already!

I gotta take a break but I'll try the shader and rendering it out in a fast scene, and report back!

Added the images for instructions.

This is a simulation with two characters to render a still image:

Edie and dog. 

edited September 2018

LOL This is probably the coolest thing ever!

I can't believe how great this is!!

How about rotation? is it relative to the emitter, or relative to the world?

NM, I figured it out... its relative to the emitter, meaning if you have it set to x velocity, you can rotate the emitter and the render moves with it, like a hose! OUTSTANDING!

PTOOOEY.png
    1024 x 768 - 1M

NM, I figured it out... its relative to the emitter, meaning if you have it set to x velocity, you can rotate the emitter and the render moves with it, like a hose! OUTSTANDING!

You're learning fast!yes

• Alberto said:

You're learning fast!yes

I owe you a lot! Thank you for your support! You guys are the best!

Alberto said:

You're learning fast!yes

I owe you a lot! Thank you for your support! You guys are the best!

You're welcome!

Another example of still render of a simulation:

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

That Orca looks good & i'm so glad the prior render has her spitting water.

• Alberto said:

Another example of still render of a simulation:

Wow! Great work! I want to get some boats when I get enough money... You can spend a lot in the store, if you're not careful! Now... I have to learn how to use deformers... lol my next forhead smacker!

That Orca looks good & i'm so glad the prior render has her spitting water.

Wow! Great work! I want to get some boats when I get enough money... You can spend a lot in the store, if you're not careful! Now... I have to learn how to use deformers... lol my next forhead smacker!

Thank you!

And speaking of spitting:

Alberto said:

That is good. How would you make this to where it's like a person just climbing quickly out of a swimming pool?

• ImagoImago Posts: 4,905

Alberto said:

That is good. How would you make this to where it's like a person just climbing quickly out of a swimming pool?

It's pretty simple! laugh

Just put these on your scene: One domain, two meshers, one swimming pool, one cube and one char. The swimming pool can be an open mesh, the domain will act as container in this case.

First parent the pool, the cube and the char to the Domain. Resize the domain in order to completely cover the pool (use the Fluidos internal resizing, it's better) there's no need of big space above it, save some space to make simulation faster.
    Now resize the cube and position it inside the pool. Make the cube a big larger on X and Z axes than the domain to avoid unwanted reactions later. The "extra cube" will be ignored by the plugin. Now put your char in the pool and animate him to climb out of the pool.

Check "Fluid Mass" in the cube's Fluidos properties and "Include diffuse particles" and "Enable moving objects" on the domain. Set the domain's number of frames to same amount of your animation (for example 120 frames) and same FPS (unless you want a finer simulation, in that case double the FPS and the Frame number!)

Now, after selecting the destination folder, start the simulation. Once finished do copy-paste from the domain to the two Meshers. Activate the "Include particles" in one of them. Then disable "Preview" and check "Enabled" in both, and set 0% on the first frame of the timelime and 100% on the last. On both, of course!

Now click on the Play button and enjoy your simulation! wink

• Rascal3DRascal3D Posts: 287
    edited September 2018

Everyone looks like they having tonnes of fun with Fluidos! But I can't get this to work. 

I have been following the Basic Operation on page 5 (page 2) of the readme manual but I am not getting anything in the Preview or Render.  The ply files are tiny and are either 1 or 2 kb in size (see screenshot).  I tried to reinstall the app (using the DIM) but this made no difference.  I also tried using CPU as well as turning off and on the OpenCL.  I am using DazStudio 4.10.0.123.  

The wierd thing is that after the reinstall, the script is no longer visible in the scripts folder but the all of the tools under the 'create' and 'edit' menus are still available.

Fluidos Bakefiles and log.jpg
    1227 x 835 - 902K
    Post edited by Rascal3D on
    Rascal3D said:

Everyone looks like they having tonnes of fun with Fluidos! But I can't get this to work. 

I have been following the Basic Operation on page 5 (page 2) of the readme manual but I am not getting anything in the Preview or Render.  The ply files are tiny and are either 1 or 2 kb in size (see screenshot).  I tried to reinstall the app (using the DIM) but this made no difference.  I also tried using CPU as well as turning off and on the OpenCL.  I am using DazStudio 4.10.0.123.  

The wierd thing is that after the reinstall the script is no longer visible in the script folder, but the all the tools from the 'create' and 'edit' are still available.

A 1 kb .ply file means that your simulation didn't create any geometry (the plugin didn't find any fluid).

I can see you have only one a cell fluid. Is your liquid sphere very small? Try to increase its size. If it doesn't work, attach your .duf in next post, please, so I take a look.

The scripts are installed with "Fluidos for Daz Studio Content package" (there are three FLUIDOS packages). Be sure you reinstalled this.

• Hi Alberto,

Thanks for the quick response.  The size of the sphere was the problem.  Now I am playing with your wonderful app.  

Thank you!

Rascal3D said:

Hi Alberto,

Thanks for the quick response.  The size of the sphere was the problem.  Now I am playing with your wonderful app.  

Thank you!

You're welcome.

Imago said:

Alberto said:

Just put these on your scene: One domain, two meshers, one swimming pool, one cube and one char. The swimming pool can be an open mesh, the domain will act as container in this case.

First parent the pool, the cube and the char to the Domain. Resize the domain in order to completely cover the pool (use the Fluidos internal resizing, it's better) there's no need of big space above it, save some space to make simulation faster.
    Now resize the cube and position it inside the pool. Make the cube a big larger on X and Z axes than the domain to avoid unwanted reactions later. The "extra cube" will be ignored by the plugin. Now put your char in the pool and animate him to climb out of the pool.

Check "Fluid Mass" in the cube's Fluidos properties and "Include diffuse particles" and "Enable moving objects" on the domain. Set the domain's number of frames to same amount of your animation (for example 120 frames) and same FPS (unless you want a finer simulation, in that case double the FPS and the Frame number!)

Now, after selecting the destination folder, start the simulation. Once finished do copy-paste from the domain to the two Meshers. Activate the "Include particles" in one of them. Then disable "Preview" and check "Enabled" in both, and set 0% on the first frame of the timelime and 100% on the last. On both, of course!

Thanks very much!

• ImagoImago Posts: 4,905
    Imago said:

Alberto said:

Thanks very much!

yes You are welcome! Ask whenever you want, if I can help, I'll be extremely happy to do it! smiley

An explosion example:

This is easy. Only a sphere primitive as a fluid mass and a Point force in the center (high negative strength value).

And a still image version (Iray)

FLUIDOS was updated to v1.1

Changes in version 1.1

Fixed these bugs:

• The first time a scene was saved, the childs of the Domain got unparented.
    • Disabling OpenCL was incomplete, the engine searched for OpenCL devices before the starting of simulation.
    • When Domain was rotated from default, the Source/Sink nodes didn't follow Domain properly.
    • When Domain was rotated from default, the diffuse particles didn't orient to camera.

New Features:

• Flow force to simulate wind over liquid.
    • Linear force for special effects.
    • The user can select the second GPU, if exists, as the OpenCL device.
    • The old baked files can be erased before running a new simulation (by setting ON "Erase baked files" in Main Settings of Domain).
    • The user manual was extended.