THE AUGUST FREEBIE CHALLENGE - HANDICAPPED? NOT!

Comments

• music2u4umusic2u4u Posts: 2,822
    edited September 2013

WE HAVE WINNERS

I want to first say thanks to all who participated this month. Your support for the disabled and handicapped, as well as for our beloved BWSman respectfully, shows us all much more than just an entry in a contest. It's the communion of life and the love for it. It stirs up something inside of us all that drives the human spirit to push onward. To enjoy it, and all it's efforts, contributing to a higher place of well being.

The two honorable mentions for this month are:

Hm1 - Playing Ball with my friend - selias19
    Hm2 - Just Breathe - KaribousBotique

Congratulations for these real works of art

The winners are:

3rd place was given to "GIRLS DAY OUT" by mmalbert

2nd place was awarded to "ROCKIN' OUT" by cellethecat

AND THE FIRST PLACE AWARD GOES TO: "EVENING PADDLE" by GRNgiant7713

I believe we had more communication with each other as a judges panel this month than ever before. This month was very special to us all here in this little challenge. We are kinda like a small family of good folks who just enjoy giving and having fun. We learn so much in here, not just 3d. Sometimes just a friendly note, a kind gesture, or a warm greeting to someone new to us like GRNgiant7713, who came up in here and shared his time with us, even entered an amazing render of his brother, that I know every pixel of was done with love and above all strength. It portraid "B" as we all would have pictured him, with his legs behind on the dock. Couldn't have been a more perfect entry.

Judge Dollygirl said:

I think Ron’s bother would have a shot at number one in my book. His render shows the best “overcoming” picture. He is spot on in identifying the triumph of the human spirit over adversity, his composition is good. His lighting is acceptable and the only thing I think he needs to do to improve his render is to add more texture through shadows and bump to give it a richness. Their overcoming adversity is not as dangerous as it is portrayed in Evening Paddle. The guy in Evening Paddle is going it alone and that to me is a stronger statement of your theme. He did a good job in his brother’s memory. Feel free to pass on my critique to him and the thread if you decide to give him first place. I think people would like to know what judges are thinking sometimes.

Congratulations GG and something else here.........

In appreciation for your participation, in this difficult time for you, you have only shown us more of how rich the heart can be with love and careing. We would like to award you with a special presentation from us all of a $15.00 store credit that will be applied to your account.

Also a special prize, a choice of 2 products from ArtCollabs store http://www.daz3d.com/artcollaborations. The PA items.

We thank you for joining us in this tribute. I am sure Ron is looking down on you very happy and proud of you right now. You did good. Our door remains open to you at any time you want to come in and join us. Your brother was a very good friend to us all here and will be missed always.

I was proud to be called his friend.

Evening Paddle

I may have an unfair advantage, being as I am so close to the subject, so if there

are too many objections my submittal can be used and an NAE.

Here is my take on the theme for this month. While I understand that mental and

social handicaps are more common than physical ones, it is very hard to convey

someone overcoming such a handicap and enjoying life to the fullest with just a

picture. As the old saying goes a picture is worth a thousand words, if you have to

write a thousand words to explain the meaning of the picture, the purpose of the

picture is lost.

When I read the theme for this month, I immediately got an idea for an entry.

Creating it to match the requirements of the contest took longer. This image is

something, that given the opportunity, is something my brother, B, would likely do.

Evening paddle

RoseFull.jpg
    253 x 589 - 65K
    Post edited by music2u4u on
  • jeeperzjeeperz Posts: 1,102
    edited December 1969

congrat to all the winners and Hm's. this was a great month with LOTS of great renders.

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,146
    edited December 1969

Congratulations to the winners and honorable mentions! Great work everyone!

Dana

• selias19selias19 Posts: 252
    edited December 1969

Wow, my first time entering a contest here and already an honorable mention. You have all been very welcoming. Thank you very much to the judges and all the kind comments on my entry.
    Very happy
    Sigrid

• Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,823
    edited December 1969

Grats to all the winners and all the entires. All winners were well deserved !

• GRNgiant7713GRNgiant7713 Posts: 13
    edited December 1969

Wow, I don't really know what to say that hasn't be said already.

Thanks to Music for hosting and dedicating this month to Ron. Thanks to the judges for taking the time to judge. Thanks for everyone who provided prizes.

BTW Music, I am not a newcomer, just an old friend who has been away too long. (I think the last time I won in the Freebie contest was back in 2010. The last time I entered was January of 2011)

• MegonNoelMegonNoel Posts: 377
    edited December 1969

Congrats to the winners! Really great entries this month!! :-)

• Lord GanthorLord Ganthor Posts: 592
    edited December 1969

Whew! Wotta show dis was! Congratulations to all the winners and to everybody who entered. Everybody showed an enormous amount of heart for our departed friend. I'm sure that somewhere he's smiling about all this. And a big congratulations to the judges this month as well...I know I wouldn't have wanted to do it. As corny as it sounds, everybody was a winner this month...

• robkelkrobkelk Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

It was a difficult one to judge, yes - I could see that everyone was doing this, not just for the challenge, but for Ron as well. How could I call anyone a loser with that in mind?

• Chelle the CatChelle the Cat Posts: 239
    edited December 1969

Wow, I'm honored. :D And congratulations to GRNgiant7713 on the well deserved win!

• firewardenfirewarden Posts: 1,459
    edited December 1969

Congratulations to all! Phenomenal depictions of folks enjoying life and overcoming obstacles. What an incredible theme! Thank you to the judges for your time and comments. And just looking at this renders has given me ideas for improvement. :)

(I had a nice long post written out, but the internet ate it!)

• music2u4umusic2u4u Posts: 2,822
    edited December 1969

Congratulations to all the winners. I will need them to pm me their email address they gave when they registered here to receive their prizes, so please get them to me asap.

:-)

• cecilia.robinsoncecilia.robinson Posts: 2,208
    edited December 1969

Great job everyone! In fact, we had a very difficult time judging the entries and it's a shame the rules do not allow ex aequo votes. Congratulations to all of you!

• DorseylandDorseyland Posts: 724
    edited December 1969

It's a shame the rules do not allow ex aequo votes.

You mean where you can let your horse cast a vote? Oh, no, I guess that would be ex-equus.

Well, anyway, the human judges did a fine job. Well done, all you winners and associate winners!

Music, good one! And great backup this month from Jeeperz and Dana.

• KaribouKaribou Posts: 1,325
    edited December 1969

I thought I just posted my "Thank you and congrats!" message, but I don't see it here! But I am running on two hours of sleep, so if this ends up as a series of two posts saying mostly the same things, I apologize! Anyway...

Thank you for the recognition, I am truly honored. I know my entry showed a handicap only visible through scars, but I appreciate that you "got it." I didn't know BWSman, but I hope I can "just breathe" every day and carry on with enthusiasm and determination! These were VERY challenging renders for me, and it was nice to do something new. And you're all such a nice group of people whom I hope to know better through this forum!

Congrats to the winners and ALL the entrants for their inspiring, amazing images. It was a wonderful contest all the way around!

• mmalbertmmalbert Posts: 412
    edited December 1969

Huzzahs to the winners and HMers! There were so many nice, emotional renders this month -- but I so knew GRNgiant7713 was gonna win. Congratulations; a lovely tribute to your brother.

• riccoptriccopt Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

congratulations to all those who entered the constest and specially to the winners!!

edited September 2013

It's a shame the rules do not allow ex aequo votes.

You mean where you can let your horse cast a vote? Oh, no, I guess that would be ex-equus.

Well, anyway, the human judges did a fine job. Well done, all you winners and associate winners!

Music, good one! And great backup this month from Jeeperz and Dana.

Ex aequo - equal (Latin). So that there could have been a few more honourable mentions getting the prizes I donated.

If it was supposed to be a joke, just kick me please.

Post edited by cecilia.robinson on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,869
    edited December 1969

Congrats to everyone!

music2u4u-Once you have the emails, be sure and PM me so I can award the gift certificates to the honorable mentions. Very happy to do so- lovely work by everyone! (I'm gone during the day right now, so if you don't hear back from me immediately, it will be that evening. Just want to be sure I get these folks their rewards.)
    Cathie

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited September 2013

And again for Music Did you get my last PM?

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

All awards I donated should be awaiting their receivers now. As for honourable mention awards, there were actually two notes, because note creation split the recipients and I had to send the award again to one of you.

edited December 1969

I have been checking my PM's daily and have not gotten the emails to do the $5 each for the two honorable mentions. It's September 12th and the HM's need to get their gift cards. Last chance- if you were one of the two HM's you can PM me directly with your email accounts that you use with DAZ and I will do your gift certificates.
    Cathie

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,146
    edited December 1969

Novica said:
    I have been checking my PM's daily and have not gotten the emails to do the $5 each for the two honorable mentions. It's September 12th and the HM's need to get their gift cards. Last chance- if you were one of the two HM's you can PM me directly with your email accounts that you use with DAZ and I will do your gift certificates.
    Cathie

You've got their user names, why not send them PMs? I know you shouldn't have to, but they might not be checking in here. People get busy, things happen. Just a suggestion.

Dana

edited December 1969

That was my second plan if I didn't hear from them. I think the folks running the contest had asked for the info from them via PM so that's why I went the thread route first (and already heard from one of them.) If they're like me, they get a ton of emails from threads and PM's so it's easy to overlook one message. I just want to ensure they get what I promised when I sponsored part of the contest. :) I was very impressed with all the entries!

edited December 1969

So did they answer? I they don't, we'll have a problem there.

PS Music, please answer my note about donations.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited September 2013

NOTE to all. I stopped trying to Email GC's and just Buy them myself. I then SEND the Code to the person/persons in a PM. It works much better and faster for me.

In the NOTE field Put the Persons Name there so you know which one goes to whom.

EDIT: I also KEEP a back up of the PM in my SENT folder. You need to TICK that every time.

Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    NOTE to all. I stopped trying to Email GC's and just Buy them myself. I then SEND the Code to the person/persons in a PM. It works much better and faster for me.

In the NOTE field Put the Persons Name there so you know which one goes to whom.

EDIT: I also KEEP a back up of the PM in my SENT folder. You need to TICK that every time.

Let me make sure I have this right- I buy the gift card for me- my name goes in the person's name slot as it has to match the email addy? Or does THEIR name go in the to "recipient" slot? As I don't have their email and it wouldn't match.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Novica said:
    Jaderail said:

Let me make sure I have this right- I buy the gift card for me- my name goes in the person's name slot as it has to match the email addy? Or does THEIR name go in the to "recipient" slot? As I don't have their email and it wouldn't match.

No you fill in your user name and your email address, that way the GC comes to you. You can then just hand out the code by PM, to whoever they are going to.

edited December 1969

Thank you Chohole, am doing it now for the other Honorable Mention.

• 3dLux3dLux Posts: 1,225
    edited September 2013

I considered entering this contest because I found the theme so powerful. After thinking about what to render I decided on Barbara Gordon aka Oracle aka Batgirl, and realized I would never be able to execute what I had in mind, using freebies. The more I researched on paraplegics the more inspired I became to the point where I'm now going to do a series on her.

For those who aren't familiar with the character, Barbara Gordon was Batgirl, who after being shot and crippled by The Joker, reinvented herself as Oracle, an information broker who's the intellectual equal of The Batman.

From the Wiki entry on Barbara Gordon's Feminist interpretations:

Following The Killing Joke, her recreation as Oracle, and the launch of Birds of Prey, "we see Barbara Gordon as a team leader and her transformation from a girl into a woman."

From Wiki on Barbara Gordon's cultural impact:
    Barbara Gordon—in her new persona as Oracle—became "more popular, in fact, than she was when she was Batgirl. She even gained her own title, Birds of Prey, about her and a group of superhero operatives she organizes[.]" The character has been the subject of analysis in academia, regarding the portrayal of women, librarians, and those living with disabilities in mainstream media. Throughout the course of the character's history, Barbara Gordon's intelligence has been one of her defining attributes. According to BusinessWeek, she is listed as one of the top ten most intelligent fictional superheroes appearing in American comics, and is the only female character to appear on the list. In 2011, IGN ranked Barbara Gordon 17th in the Top 100 Comic Books Heroes.

There's much more that can be said but anyone who's interested can look at Babs' article ;-)

This render, the first of a series, depicts Babs with an her old flame Dick Grayson aka Nightwing aka Robin. The rest of the series (and the reason why it won't be posted in these forums) will explore an aspect which most able bodied don't seem to associate with the differently-abled: sexuality.

Oracle_and_Nightwing_Daz_Forums.png
    2000 x 2000 - 5M
    Post edited by 3dLux on