Superheroes Rebooted - Ready to Rrrrrender?

Comments

• tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 3,534
    edited August 2017

Everything except the line work, color adjustments and touch up were done in DAZ.

Post edited by tkdrobert on
  • john_antkowiakjohn_antkowiak Posts: 334
    edited August 2017

So here's a new one. This has so far at least 32 hours of work in it, all told. Lots of trial and error with the lighting, and still not sure I like it. It's almost what I was after, but somehow not quite. I wanted dramatic shadow. The column lights are especially frustrating; I can''t get them to look any different from a simple rectangle of solid color. That screenshot is attached too. I want them to glow but having a hard time choosing a color. Maybe red. His eyes aren't great either but at least I think you can tell they're glowing a little. I set the render quality at 2.0, with 10,000 max render time, but that wasn't enough I guess. It's still a bit too grainy. Anyone have any feedback? Thanks  :)

Bane test 02.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 2M
    Column lights settings.jpg
    1366 x 768 - 357K
    Post edited by john_antkowiak on
  • So here's a new one. This has so far at least 32 hours of work in it, all told. Lots of trial and error with the lighting, and still not sure I like it. It's almost what I was after, but somehow not quite. I wanted dramatic shadow. The column lights are especially frustrating; I can''t get them to look any different from a simple rectangle of solid color. That screenshot is attached too. I want them to glow but having a hard time choosing a color. Maybe red. His eyes aren't great either but at least I think you can tell they're glowing a little. I set the render quality at 2.0, with 10,000 max render time, but that wasn't enough I guess. It's still a bit too grainy. Anyone have any feedback? Thanks  :)

I'd suggest adding a bit of bloom filter. it does make the render take a bit longer, but it will make emissive things look like they're glowing.

bloomsettings2.png
    2940 x 2000 - 873K
  • Thanks, zombietag. In looking up bloom controls, I read forum threads and the Help Document where your illustration came from. The default settings were too high, so I spent the day fiddling with them. I also tried hiding all the items unaffected by the desired bloom, intending to make a second image I could just merge into the render after it was all done. None of it worked out satisfactorily and caused certain other problems besides. In the end, although I appreciate the advice, it wasn't being worth the effort. So this is the final version. No bloom, but it is a better image.

Bane.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 1M
  • Hi guys n gals, bit of a fun one here for you. Batman playing Batman on the Batputer. You can see the Batputer is in Xbox mode and he has a Batpad.

Batman plays Batman.jpg
    1702 x 630 - 600K
  • A group of Super Heroes this was a materials test.

material test.jpg
    846 x 560 - 150K
  • awesome, Ambush! can't wait to see more  :)

• Thanks, zombietag. In looking up bloom controls, I read forum threads and the Help Document where your illustration came from. The default settings were too high, so I spent the day fiddling with them. I also tried hiding all the items unaffected by the desired bloom, intending to make a second image I could just merge into the render after it was all done. None of it worked out satisfactorily and caused certain other problems besides. In the end, although I appreciate the advice, it wasn't being worth the effort. So this is the final version. No bloom, but it is a better image.

I have a hard time getting bloom to look how I want it too. I really wish there was a way to set to only effect lights. Ah well, it came out very nicely regardless. I'm glad you got it worked out.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,148

Be really cool to see the original Defenders line up from back in the 70's.  Not sure if Nighthawk could be done. 

• I've been working on the Original Defenders for a while. A long while. Here are some of my WIPs. I'm planning on using a suit from Joe Quick's Golden Age Heroes for Nighthawk (https://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/?ViewProduct=92595). Dr. Strange has got me stumped. Any ideas? Namor will be easy. I just haven't gotten arount to making him. He's not one of my favorite characters. 

Hulk on Stand.png
    1000 x 1000 - 515K
    Silver Surfer High.png
    2000 x 1500 - 534K
    Pegasus Higher Transparency.png
    1000 x 750 - 241K
    Valkyre Amazon.png
    1000 x 800 - 179K

Very cool Brian!  I've always been quite fond of Val... she and her flying steed Aragorn just so cool! 

• RAMWolf,

Thank you. I'm happy to share how I kitbashed herif you'reinterested. 

I have plans on making my own for Dawn in ZBrush eventually!  .... yea, eventually!  lol

• Zorro. Or, without the hat... Wesley, the Dread Pirate Roberts. lol

So far, coming up with a decent belt and cape is driving me crazy. The Knight Eisenfaust belt is the closest, but it's designed to go on top of heavy plate armor and I just can't get it to shrink in all the right places. I've tried every trick I can think of, that I know how to do: pokeaway, fit conrol, parenting but not wearing, fitting/colliding with various items both visible and not (and combinations thereof)... 

What did you guys use for the Hulk's jeans? Both the same item?

Zorro.jpg
    3840 x 2560 - 4M
  • Hulks pants came with Mr Hyde. I just changed the color of the texture map. I think smay may sellsomething similar separately. 

• stuthursostuthurso Posts: 192

I've been trying out Michael 8 and I really like him.  In fact I'd go so far as to say he's super, man.  wink

Superman 2.png
    1000 x 563 - 1011K
  • TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,029
    stuthurso said:

I've been trying out Michael 8 and I really like him.  In fact I'd go so far as to say he's super, man.  wink

Agree. Notice the great chin cleft on M8. smileyyes

stuthurso said:

What suit did you use?

tkdrobert said:
    stuthurso said:

What suit did you use?

It's just the old Uzilite Super Hero suit for M4 you can get here for free:  https://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/uzilite-super-hero/64110  I fitted it to G3M and then to M8.  There was a bit of poke through but I hid most of his body to fix that (you have to do that or M4 as well anyway) and played with the 'Upper Bulk' setting on the suit to get the logo looking right.  After that it was jut a case of converting the textures to Iray (I used 'Convert It!') and Bob's your uncle.  I'm really pleased how it came out to be honest.  

Tjohn said:
    stuthurso said:

Agree. Notice the great chin cleft on M8. smileyyes

He's got a very nice 'Film Star' quality about him that I really like.  He should be pretty useful for Superhero's (and action hero's) because of it.  

• RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037

RAMWolf,

Thank you. I'm happy to share how I kitbashed herif you'reinterested. 

I am! Definitely! :)

• RKane,

I started with V4. I like the Lana Elite textures. The rest of the objects were taken from various sources:

Cape - Terry McG Thor (from Deviant Art)

V4 Bodysuit (Daz). Collar and Bracers are chrome texture. Needs textures on the hips.

arm bands - TerryMcG Red Sonya (from DeviantArt)

Sandals - Roman Style Sandals for V4 by JoEtzold (free on Rendo)

Hair - HR-168 by ali (Rendo)

The breastplates are elongated spheres with a custom texture. 

Hope that helps.

Brian

• Sorry, but I don't know where else to put this.

Does anyone know who designed this costume and how I can buy it???

It looks AMAZING.

Daniella-for-genesis-8-female-daz3d.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 421K
  • shadowhawk1shadowhawk1 Posts: 2,189
    edited August 2017

Sorry, but I don't know where else to put this.

Does anyone know who designed this costume and how I can buy it???

It looks AMAZING.

Its a set called Lady Wonder Armor for G2f and can be found for sale on the artists DA account https://guhzcoituz.deviantart.com/ or at his store page on renderotica. (won't post that link here but you can do a search there for it.)

Post edited by shadowhawk1 on
    edited August 2017

So, I tried to do this with G8M but the cape (Genesis Supercape) would not conform properly.  When I tried to move his arms up, the cape would follow.  He looked like a flying squirrel.  So the render below is M6.

Superman Soars by tkdrobert

Post edited by Chohole on
    tkdrobert said:

So, I tried to do this with G8M but the cape (Genesis Supercape) would not conform properly.  When I tried to move his arms up, the cape would follow.  He looked like a flying squirrel.  So the render below is M6.

Superman Soars by tkdrobert

That's very cool, I really like the way it's lit!  One thing I find though is that instead of conforming capes to G8 you should load the cape separately (ie don't have anything highlighted when you double click the cape) and use the parameters to move it so it looks like it's properly attached to the figure.  Then you just parent it to the 'Upper Chest' of the figure.  Then when you pose the figure the cape won't get all bent up with the pose but it will be in more or less the right place for the figure (though depending on the pose it'll be cutting through parts of the figure).  You then just again use the parameters to tweak it into place and use the cape's morphs to arrange the cape as you want.  I hope that makes sense, just make sure that the cape isn't fitted to anything and you should be okay.  It can be a bit fiddly having to position the cape manually but in the end you have lots more control over it and a better end result.  Hope that helps (and again I hope it makes sense).  

OK, I'll try it when I finish my other two projects LOL.  :-)

Women of X-Force

Women of X-Force by tkdrobert

• So this one rendered for almost five hours and still came out a bit grainy. I set the Rendering Quality parameter (in Render Settings) to 3.0 instead of its default 1.0, but I usually do that and only sometimes notice this result. Could that be what's preventing a smooth finish? All feedback is welcome  :)

Wonder Woman.jpg
    1334 x 2160 - 2M
  • RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037

So this one rendered for almost five hours and still came out a bit grainy. I set the Rendering Quality parameter (in Render Settings) to 3.0 instead of its default 1.0, but I usually do that and only sometimes notice this result. Could that be what's preventing a smooth finish? All feedback is welcome  :)

SUPER awesome work, sir! :)

This discussion has been closed.