Are Genesis 2 People gone forever?

124»

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,861
    edited April 2018
    Oso3D said:

I honestly don't know whether Daz would be up to selling an older figure. I mean, they've done one step back a number of times, like when G8 was released, there were G3 releases for a while.

That makes zero sense. There's new Genesis 3 releases all the time. PAs often make products which support more than one figure, particularly if they're SMART-  and Gen3 and Gen8 are the latest combination. 

Post edited by Novica on
  • Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    Novica said:
    Oso3D said:

I honestly don't know whether Daz would be up to selling an older figure. I mean, they've done one step back a number of times, like when G8 was released, there were G3 releases for a while.

That makes zero sense. There's new Genesis 3 releases all the time. PAs often make products which support more than one figure, particularly if they're SMART-  and Gen3 and Gen8 are the latest combination. 

G3/G8 are a combination because the bones are the same in each figure to help with compatibility, and then all the Genesis/Gen4 characters. But going two generations back,  I don't see many of those products unless it's hair. 

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,881

As stand alone products, I cannot see anyone doing Genesis 2 only products.  But if a PA can add support for Genesis 2 easily to something they are doing for G3/8, then its likely that it could be added.  But it is up to the PA doing it.   In most cases, it has to be profitable and not just something the PA wants to do. 

• Griffin AvidGriffin Avid Posts: 3,758

Another problem is all the sales on the previous generations stuff.

Why would someone buy a Genesis 2 hair piece for 30% off that still $11.50 when, below on its Sale Page is 100 hair pieces, each for $3.99 or less?

G2 stuff is always going on sale, along with V4 goodies.

• PadonePadone Posts: 3,520

One good thing about G3 G8 though, is that they use JCMs and control bones for deformations, that is standard technology and can be potentially exported to other 3D packages such as Maya or Blender. For example the Blender exporter does it fine.

While G1 G2 use triax, that is proprietary and there's no way to export it. Unless DAZ themselves make a plugin. So exported G1 G2 can't have the nice deformations you see in DAZ Studio. Unless you export animations in a vertex cache format such as MDD or Alembic.

So, in my opinion, as odd as it may sound, to this matter it can be said that G3 G8 made a good step toward pipelines compatibility.

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,786
    edited April 2018

"One good thing about G3 G8 though, is that they use JCMs and control bones for deformations, that is standard technology and can be potentially exported to other 3D packages such as Maya or Blender. For example the Blender exporter does it fine."

I am curious Why are the users in the long running Daz to Maya plugin thread, having to perform so much manual grunt work to restore the joint deformations after import to Maya via the plugin 
    https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/208631/daz-to-maya-question/p8

Are you saying there is a blender plugin that imbeds the JCM's and applies then automaticly as Daz studio Does??

So, in my opinion, as odd as it may sound, to this matter it can be said that G3 G8 made a good step toward pipelines compatibility.

First, in general,Most DS users should be using the latest figures if they
    do not have skills/time/desire to create their own content/morphs for older figures,this is My view on that subject.

IMHO "a good step toward pipelines compatibility"
    is a bit of a Myth fomented by Daz marketing hype.

My opinion is based on the discussions I have had with users of motionbuilder over at flipbook market where we focus only 
    motion file products for all of the Major applications.

Those new twist bones actually added a little more work to get a G3/8 figure rig properly Characterized for retargeting in motionbuilder

No "show stoppers" but G3/8 was certainly not "more compatible"
    in this regard than G2.

Also while Reallusion has certainly updated their built in Characterization templates in 3DX change to include Auto recognition of G3/8 upon import.

When G3 was initially released we had to Manually remap them in Iclone3DX for a time until Reallusion (not Daz) provided  updates on their side

To be fair ,a one time effort if you saved your custom retartgeting profile ,as you should.

But still far below the threshold of what I would consider
     "a good step toward pipelines compatibility"

And until the release of Daz studio 4.10.xx , us minority of users creating Motion externally in MOBU/Iclone etc had no effective way to get a G3/G8 BVH back INTO daz studio from our pro animation apps to use on G3/G8 ,as we could do easily with  G1/G2.

Post edited by wolf359 on
  • njsnjs Posts: 71

I believe this discussion of Genesis 2 People has gone way to far in the commons.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,944
    njs said:

laughI believe this discussion of Genesis 2 People has gone way to far in the commons.

cheeky you started it and never said another word until now

Well...I was hoping to start a conversation.

wolf359 said:

Are you saying there is a blender plugin that imbeds the JCM's and applies then automaticly as Daz studio Does??

Yes of course, the Blender plugin exports JCMs as bone-drived morphs the same as DS does, so you get a fully functional G3 G8 figure with perfect deformations. Unfortunately this can't be done with G1 G2 because of triax. It also exports DAZ Studio instances into actual Blender instances that's great for large scenes when this feature is used. Plus there's a bunch of tools for converting transmapped hair to fibers and/or weightmapped strands for phisics simulation. I don't know about the Maya plugin but I guess the Blender one may be far superior. Thomas is working very actively on the plugin so anyone can help to test and improve it.

http://diffeomorphic.blogspot.com/

wolf359 said:

My opinion is based on the discussions I have had with users of motionbuilder over at flipbook market where we focus only 
    motion file products for all of the Major applications.

No "show stoppers" but G3/8 was certainly not "more compatible"
    in this regard than G2.

Agreed.

wolf359 said:

And until the release of Daz studio 4.10.xx , us minority of users creating Motion externally in MOBU/Iclone etc had no effective way to get a G3/G8 BVH back INTO daz studio from our pro animation apps to use on G3/G8 ,as we could do easily with  G1/G2.

Personally I wouldn't use DAZ Studio for animation unless forced with a gun to my head to do so cheeky. But I agree that importing back pre-made animations works quite fine anyway. Also if they succeed to get some working denoiser in the next version then iRay would not be too bad anymore.

"Personally I wouldn't use DAZ Studio for animation unless forced with a gun to my head to do so"

I dont find Daz Studio (or Iclone for that matter) 
    a suitable environment to render my final targas out 
    to my finishing tools.

However there is the matter of commercial motion file
    presets for the G3/G8 (Daz aniblocks),made externally with human mocap systems or pro apps like MOBU or Iclone.

Until DS 4.10.x  there were only a handful available both here and at Flipbook.
    Now there are quite a few since Daz has fixed the BVH import
    for its own native figures in their own native program. 

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,159
    edited April 2018
    Padone said:

Personally I wouldn't use DAZ Studio for animation unless forced with a gun to my head to do so cheeky.

Why not . I use daz studio exclusively , Yes my animations are not Pixar quality . But they are fun to make, painful to watch and can be made by the simplest person.  meaning if I can animate cartoons in daz studio anyone can

I use daz to make animations with instead of playing solitaire or make a jig-zaw puzzles. so maybe your looking at this wrong.    though I have made a few daz animations as paid work.as a flavor, for this guy that wrote a song.  like this one completely made in Daz.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARjrECyt9PU

Do you make pixar type animations? I'd really like to see one , Wolf makes pretty good animations from what I have seen. so much talent here.

here is silly animation I released today.

completely done in daz studio accept the film editing. the girl walk cycles are assorted aniblocks mostly SKA motions walk cycles.,  the cat motion were all done by hand , this was  a general scene test for the city model set-up for a bigger project i am working on the animation was just thrown in to make it interesting.  I'll animate with daz all day long. no gun required.cheeky

Post edited by Ivy on
    edited April 2018
    Ivy said:
    Padone said:

Personally I wouldn't use DAZ Studio for animation unless forced with a gun to my head to do so cheeky.

Why not . I use daz studio exclusively , Yes my animations are not Pixar quality . But they are fun to make, painful to watch and can be made by the simplest person.  meaning if I can animate cartoons in daz studio anyone can

I use daz to make animations with instead of playing solitaire or make a jig-zaw puzzles. so maybe your looking at this wrong.    though I have made a few daz animations as paid work.as a flavor, for this guy that wrote a song.  like this one completely made in Daz.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARjrECyt9PU

Do you make pixar type animations? I'd really like to see one , Wolf makes pretty good animations from what I have seen. so much talent here.

completely done in daz studio accept the film editing. the girl walk cycles are assorted aniblocks mostly SKA motions walk cycles.,  the cat motion were all done by hand , this was  a general scene test for the city model set-up for a bigger project i am working on the animation was just thrown in to make it interesting.  I'll animate with daz all day long. no gun required.cheeky

Nice work Ivy!
    To be fair I beleive Padone was referring 
    to  not ever rendering his finals in DS in IRay as he  mentioned the lack of a denoiser

People have thier own reasons for wanting to use whatever app to render
    and  BTW Dear Lady....cool

Did you ever find the time to do any serious sperlunking around that
    Seat of Carrara you bought for song last year??laugh

I was honestly expecting you to transition to that for your final renders
    As it supports your preferred G2 natively. 

Post edited by wolf359 on
    edited April 2018
    wolf359 said:

to  not ever rendering his finals in DS in IRay as he  mentioned the lack of a denoiser

Ah okay my mistake,  yes Iray is rather hard to render animation with in daz studio unless you have a lot of resources to let it run long enough to degrain your renders. . I thought he meant  never create animations with daz at all, 

wolf359 said:

and  BTW Dear Lady....cool

Did you ever find the time to do any serious sperlunking around that
    Seat of Carrara you bought for song last year??laugh

I was honestly expecting you to transition to that for your final renders
    As it supports your preferred G2 natively. 

Yes I have made a couple of animations with Carrara, nothing i would show in public as of yet,  . I have a hard time grasping the texturing pane to reduce my foot print to speed up my renders so my film size is still in the demo size stage.  & I still need to pick up a couple more plugins,

plus I've been using daz so long I guess its like wearing a old pair of shoes I'm just confortable with it so I start there

Post edited by Ivy on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,678
    Ivy said:
    Padone said:

...sweet.  I've been startled by cats that seem to appear out of nowhere. 

In my old neighbourhood had a lot of "feline friends" on a nice day usually took me twice as long walking to the market from home and they'd come out to greet me.  Sadly living in the city centre don't see many anymore (too many people  and far too much traffic).

Thank you KK

yes I could see it being a bit of a issue for cats in a city center and being run over,

I live in a very rural area and I do some volunteer work for the humane society, cleaning cages and stuff ,I don't own a cat or dog, because I am hardly home to take care of it most of the time. Buts  that is how I was able to record my cat sounds. was at the center

Once a month the humane society has a free clinic to have your pets spayed or neutered and we have a huge adoption event a few times year, that only cost a few dollars to adopt an animal that we really depend on for donation and to find homes for all the animals, which seems we get more and more each week . there is such a need for good homes for abandoned animals, it breaks my heart for the ones that don't get one at those adoption events. . luckily I work in a no kill shelter so they do get homes eventually . but i was told they put down alot of animals in other shelter for lack of good home which really makes me sad.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,678

...would love to adopt (as I have my own place again) were it not for the fact that here in the City Centre many apartment buildings (including the one I am in) have extremely high pet deposits.  Some will only allow for those annoying little hyper yippy "ankle biters" but not cats due to the "potential" for damage from clawing (and I would never ever have a cat declawed).

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    Ivy said:
    Padone said:

Really cute!  Good work Ivy!  

Jonstark said:
    Ivy said:
    Padone said:

Really cute!  Good work Ivy!  

Thank you very much Jon :)

• drzapdrzap Posts: 795
    edited April 2018

"I am curious Why are the users in the long running Daz to Maya plugin thread, having to perform so much manual grunt work to restore the joint deformations after import to Maya via the plugin  "

These days, that issue has finally been resolved with the Maya script for JCM's Daz slipped in there with the last update.   But it only works if the animation was created in Daz Studio and I'm in the "poke me in the eye with a flaming stick before I animate in DS" camp.  Not because I am able to produce Pixar quality animation (yet), but because I have aspirations to produce animation quality higher than what Daz Studio can get me.    So Daz JCM's are out of the question for me, but I have that problem solved already.  As far as which figure is more animatable, I have found that a lot of mocap on the market (Maximo, for example) is better suited for G2 figures, but I am rolling my own mocap and able to adapt it to any of the figures so it isn't a problem for filmmakers with their own mocap gear.

Post edited by drzap on

" but because I have aspirations to produce animation quality higher than what Daz Studio can get me.    So Daz JCM's are out of the question for me, but I have that problem solved already.  As far as which figure is more animatable, I have found that a lot of mocap on the market (Maximo, for example) is better suited for G2 figures, but I am rolling my own mocap and able to adapt it to any of the figures so it isn't a problem for filmmakers with their own mocap gear."

And that is the only thing that matters your personal
    Pipeline based on your personal choices of tools
    to create the kind of outcomes that meets your personal standards.

edited April 2018
    drzap said:

I'm in the "poke me in the eye with a flaming stick before I animate in DS" camp.  Not because I am able to produce Pixar quality animation (yet), but because I have aspirations to produce animation quality higher than what Daz Studio can get me.  

Indeed what ever works best is my motto., 

I read alot of your post you really sound like you know alot about animation with autodesk. But I have never seen you post any films. Do you have any film done now?  or you in the "still learning gap"?

It really make me smile when I hear people talk about this software is better and that one. Because there is so much to animation. not just making the animation in a software choice., there is Organization &,Storyboard creation, directing  & film editing, sound creation & editing, copyright & ELUA acknowledgements( I like to call the legals) then there is publishing, truly finding the right place to publish your finished work is not easy either,  YouTube is full of haters trying to discourage you,  so I can see why alot of people get frustrated trying to make any type animation no matter what software its just not easy to make something beyond a 30 second test film.

I just love animations of all types 2d, 3d ,Autodesk, daz, poser, even the old hand drawn & painted style animations are awesome. what some people do with claymation is incredible.  the imagination & creativity of people and what they can do with what they have to work with is what interest me most,  watching someone else creativity at work is like watching nature. I dunno I guess I am weird.  Too me its not the tools people use, But what they do with the tool they have .  even some Manga anime cartoons are done with photoshop.

Love to see some of your films  I bet they are creative too.

Post edited by Ivy on
    edited April 2018
    Ivy said:
    drzap said:

I'm in the "poke me in the eye with a flaming stick before I animate in DS" camp.  Not because I am able to produce Pixar quality animation (yet), but because I have aspirations to produce animation quality higher than what Daz Studio can get me.  

Indeed what ever works best is my motto., 

I read alot of your post you really sound like you know alot about animation with autodesk. But I have never seen you post any films. Do you have any film done now?  or you in the "still learning gap"?

It really make me smile when I hear people talk about this software is better and that one. Because there is so much to animation. not just making the animation in a software choice., there is Organization &,Storyboard creation, directing  & film editing, sound creation & editing, copyright & ELUA acknowledgements( I like to call the legals) then there is publishing, truly finding the right place to publish your finished work is not easy either,  YouTube is full of haters trying to discourage you,  so I can see why alot of people get frustrated trying to make any type animation no matter what software its just not easy to make something beyond a 30 second test film.

I just love animations of all types 2d, 3d ,Autodesk, daz, poser, even the old hand drawn & painted style animations are awesome. what some people do with claymation is incredible.  the imagination & creativity of people and what they can do with what they have to work with is what interest me most,  watching someone else creativity at work is like watching nature. I dunno I guess I am weird.  Too me its not the tools people use, But what they do with the tool they have .  even some Manga anime cartoons are done with photoshop.

Love to see some of your films  I bet they are creative too.

I am originally an amateur filmmaker, not an animator.  I just started learning animation last year because of the dearth of reliable talent in China.  So I am still learning, but the level and style of animation I aim to produce is well beyond Daz Studio (although at one time, I hoped that DS could be my main tool).  I chose Maya because it is the best commercial character animation package on the market, it is free for amateurs, and if I am going to endure the learning curve of a production animation pipeline, I might as well learn on the best.  Of course, Maya isn't for everyone and overkill for some, but I am very pleased with my decision.  As for producing content, the films will be coming, in 15-minute episodes and I am furiously working on it.  I'm not particularly discouraged or offended by youtube haters, or any haters.  In fact, I thrive on criticism.  You can view my progress on my Deviant page.

Post edited by drzap on
    edited April 2018

Hi drzap

Just make sure when you get one done you Share it for all us to enjoy I'm not much of a critic, just a an animation lover :).. I just watched a film someone did using poser & daz  mixed with real life acting the blending was almost flawless using aftereffects you can watch it over at renderosity animation forum, so maybe a powerful Software like Maya is good  , but not always necessary that is all  am saying.

Post edited by Ivy on
    edited April 2018
    Ivy said:

Hi drzap

Just make sure when you get one done you Share it for all us to enjoy I'm not much of a critic, just a an animation lover :).. I just watched a film someone did using poser & daz  mixed with real life acting the blending was almost flawless using aftereffects you can watch it over at renderosity animation forum, so maybe a powerful Software like Maya is good  , but not always necessary that is all  am saying.

Sure, I get you point.  DS for animation is perfect for some people, just not for me.  It's just too much effort required to get what I'm trying to accomplish.  Like I said, Maya is overkill for some.  I'll go check out the film you mentioned, but I'm not sure about sharing Maya animation on a Daz Studio forum.  Remember, I don't use Daz Studio.  But my Deviantart page will be open for all to view.

PS.  I can't find that film you mentioned.  Can you give me the name?

Post edited by drzap on
    edited April 2018
    drzap said:

I am originally an amateur filmmaker, not an animator.  I just started learning animation last year because of the dearth of reliable talent in China.  So I am still learning, but the level and style of animation I aim to produce is well beyond Daz Studio (although at one time, I hoped that DS could be my main tool).  I chose Maya because it is the best commercial character animation package on the market, it is free for amateurs, and if I am going to endure the learning curve of a production animation pipeline, I might as well learn on the best. 

I understand , I did that once too, I registered for and paid for courses @ Autodesk University,  took 18 months of classes at UT for 3DS just to learn modeling., But after 3 years my Student version of Autodesk suite 2012 ran out and I could not get or afford a standlone version of Autodesk and the cloud version just cost to much if you are not using it commercially. Daz studio can give good results if you know the software & have the computer resource to use it to its fullest.

drzap said:

I'm not sure about sharing Maya animation on a Daz Studio forum.  Remember, I don't use Daz Studio.  But my Deviantart page will be open for all to view.

That is Unfortunate some won't see here at daz. I think even if its another software like poser or blender I don't think the daz mods mind you sharing animation as long it fits the TOS guidelines. But i wish you well in all your endeavors. Good luck

drzap said:

PS.  I can't find that film you mentioned.  Can you give me the name?

yes you can find it on this thread https://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/?thread_id=2923262

Post edited by Ivy on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

Gianni6heart

i been working a g2 geobandaid set for Minotaur6 in carrara. a way to avoid breaking the uvs.

Cool! Good Luck Mistara!

edited April 2018
    Ivy said:

Why not . I use daz studio exclusively , Yes my animations are not Pixar quality . But they are fun to make, painful to watch and can be made by the simplest person.  meaning if I can animate cartoons in daz studio anyone can.

The ik system in DAZ Studio is for posing, not for animation. What DS calls "pins" is part-time ik. That is, ik used for posing. That's a technology around since 1998, when computers didn't have the power to handle a decent ik system.

What Blender, Lightwave, Maya and any other animation platform implements, is full-time ik. That is, ik handles that are animatable in the timeline and the targets follow.

The difference is that with part-time ik there's nothing, for example, to hold a hand in place when the character moves. This is done with full-time ik. An example of that is in your animation when the girl feeds the cat. Her feet slide on the floor because you don't have full-time ik handles to hold them in place.

This issue doesn't appear when using mocap though. Because baked animations use a frame for every time-slot in the timeline, so there's nothing to interpolate and the program doesn't have to create inbetweens. So using mocap works fine in DAZ Studio.

And I like your animation it is so cute.

Post edited by Padone on

Yes what ever works easiest for your needs and your comfortable using is what works best is my motto.  I totally understand  where you are coming from. not to mentions the physics tools, floor pinning tools and hard surface lighting effect that can be accomplished with Maya that daz can't do. Its just not everyone can afford maya after the trial period is over ,.  

I'm just a hobby user so Daz is great for what I do with it so it fits my needs . I would love to have a floor pinning tool in daz though

Thank you for the nice compliment on my cartoon  :)