Are Genesis 2 People gone forever?

Comments

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,904

Except there are real improvements and changes over generations.

Not every change will be to someone’s satisfaction, but the notion that generation turnover is solely a marketing gimmick is overlooking a lot.

• EJWorksEJWorks Posts: 483
    Oso3D said:

If you tell PAs that 'if you want my money, make this item that's not popular,' you are essentially asking them to volunteer to lower their income. Your beef isn't with the PAs, it's with the customer base. If you want certain items to be made more, encourage customers to want them more.

Totally agree with you.

Also consider doing a special commission that makes the work worth the PA's time? Has that ever been done? Consumer contacts a PA and offers X amount of $ in exchange for such-and-such item made for whatever figure, and in addition within so many months of the product being complete and used by the consumer who set up the commission, the PA can sell on their website to more consumers.

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,259

Actually, in the last month or so Andrey Pestryakov (you know, the guy with all the natural environment sets) has released 2 different pose sets for G2M over on Rendo. One of them also supports Genesis 1.

• Phoenix1966Phoenix1966 Posts: 1,566
    EJWorks said:
    Oso3D said:

If you tell PAs that 'if you want my money, make this item that's not popular,' you are essentially asking them to volunteer to lower their income. Your beef isn't with the PAs, it's with the customer base. If you want certain items to be made more, encourage customers to want them more.

Totally agree with you.

Also consider doing a special commission that makes the work worth the PA's time? Has that ever been done? Consumer contacts a PA and offers X amount of $ in exchange for such-and-such item made for whatever figure, and in addition within so many months of the product being complete and used by the consumer who set up the commission, the PA can sell on their website to more consumers.

I'm sure some people have gone down this road and contacted PAs about commissions. Keep in mind, if the item (in this case, something for G2) is niche or potentially "out of date", the PA will quote a price close to what they might make on a relatively successful product's enitre run because they don't have faith it will sell much, if anything, beyond that intial customer. Basically, they would probably quote a price close to an amount if bought by just one individual, especially if they would also have to wait X months before they could release it commercially. I don't think many hobbyists are prepared to pay thousands of dollars for one outfit or character set.

• EJWorks said:
    Oso3D said:

Totally agree with you.

I'm sure some people have gone down this road and contacted PAs about commissions. Keep in mind, if the item (in this case, something for G2) is niche or potentially "out of date", the PA will quote a price close to what they might make on a relatively successful product's enitre run because they don't have faith it will sell much, if anything, beyond that intial customer. Basically, they would probably quote a price close to an amount if bought by just one individual, especially if they would also have to wait X months before they could release it commercially. I don't think many hobbyists are prepared to pay thousands of dollars for one outfit or character set.

I think this is why some folks have been suggesting Patreon or Kickstarter for stuff that may more niche than what DAZ or other stores would be willing to accept on a regular basis.

• Phoenix1966Phoenix1966 Posts: 1,566
    EJWorks said:
    Oso3D said:

Totally agree with you.

I think this is why some folks have been suggesting Patreon or Kickstarter for stuff that may more niche than what DAZ or other stores would be willing to accept on a regular basis.

Good suggestions.Those venues might be more successful. Or at least show customers, if goals aren't met, that there isn't enough commercial interest.

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    JOdel said:

Actually, in the last month or so Andrey Pestryakov (you know, the guy with all the natural environment sets) has released 2 different pose sets for G2M over on Rendo. One of them also supports Genesis 1.

I believe they were re-released from previous product originally sold here. It's been done before.

• Back to the original poster's query -

You can still use any previous generation in your renders if you're comfortable with that generation's figures. There are still people who regularly use Aiko3, for example, and Victoria 4 is still used by many. Different strokes for different folks, and it comes down to artistic freedom. Daz doesn't purge clothing/characters/pose sets for previous generations once a new one is released so you can still buy old stuff. Sometimes it's even a limited-time free gift from Daz, too.

Realistically, however, the Daz userbase gravitates towards the latest generation (at least since Genesis 2 was introduced). PAs have to service that need if they want to make money. So, all the newer releases will focus on the latest generation. You may be able to retrofit some of these goodies, or you may not.

You won't see very many new products for Genesis or Genesis 2 elsewhere, either, because its a small, small world of Daz users and the vendors elsewhere have to cater to the same basic market and follow the same principles. Many times, a "new" product is really just one that was sold previously on a different website.

What you will find are freebies. While freebie support, too, eventually wanes, you are much more likely to find a new free pose set for G2 than a new paid set for purchase.

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,781
    Oso3D said:

......but the notion that generation turnover is solely a marketing gimmick is overlooking a lot.

True in general... however many would agree that
    the claim of:

"The most backward compatible genesis ever"
    was so "Orwellian" in its Doublespeak as to be insulting 
    to one's intelligence.

But alas I have no complaints
    My animation products over Flipbook market
    Supports Genesis 3 and my next releases will support Genesis 8

Business is business.wink

• nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,286
    wolf359 said:
    Oso3D said:

......but the notion that generation turnover is solely a marketing gimmick is overlooking a lot.

True in general... however many would agree that
    the claim of:

"The most backward compatible genesis ever"
    was so "Orwellian" in its Doublespeak as to be insulting 
    to one's intelligence.

But alas I have no complaints
    My animation products over Flipbook market
    Supports Genesis 3 and my next releases will support Genesis 8

Business is business.wink

Granted, M4 and V4 didn't have to be backward compatible to anything and there are ways to get clothing and tectures from v4 to g7 on g8....

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    Mistara said:

still waiting for david6 and freak6

Never happen.  They became less profitable over time until they weren't profitable enough for Daz3d to keep making them (their overhead on each figure is higher than an individual artist's).  Another Hiro is also very unlikely for exactly this reason.  If you see a figure in one generation but not the next one it's because it didn't make the profitability cut.  That's why there keep being more Victorias, Stephanies, Olympias, and Michaels but not much consistency in other male figures (I was just as shocked as anyone to not have Gianni continue on, mind you).

David's niche of "young but less huge adult male" is occupied at present by Elijah and Owen.  For your Freak alternative I recommend RawArt's Massive and SimonWM's Swole (both available all the way back to Genesis 2/Generation 6 if you're sticking with that generation).  For a David alternative for Genesis 2 I think you'd need to use Slosh's Generation 5 Legacy Shapes for Genesis 2 Males (which are a very quality conversion that I have used myself).

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,086

Backward compatibility was an issue for M4 and V4.

There are several products designed to adapt M3 and V3 clothing to M4 and V4.  For example, Poser had one built in (Wardrobe Wizard by PhilC) but you had to pay extra for each character.  I still occasionally use M3, V3, etc. clothing on recent figures.  Just use wardrobe wizard to convert to M4 or V4, and then from there to G8 or whatever.

nemesis10 said:
    wolf359 said:
    Oso3D said:

Granted, M4 and V4 didn't have to be backward compatible to anything and there are ways to get clothing and tectures from v4 to g7 on g8....

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,942

well today I learnt  I am being reduced to two days a week working so cannot afford this hobby any longer if I have to buy new stuff, so it all really works in my favour.

As long as I can still use my existing huge DAZ library of content I will be content 

And learn to model anything new I need.

Just hope my Carrara continues to work with future Windows updates since that is no longer actively supported by DAZ either.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,656
    edited April 2018

....yeah I feel the same when it comes to things I would use in my scenes like Cyber implants and augmentations.

Yeah I know not the most popular genre compared to high fantasy, vampires, the zombie apocalypse, far flung futuristic SF etc. so guess I'll have to learn how to make them myself and figure out how geografting works.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287
    edited April 2018
    th3Digit said:

well today I learnt  I am being reduced to two days a week working so cannot afford this hobby any longer if I have to buy new stuff, so it all really works in my favour.

As long as I can still use my existing huge DAZ library of content I will be content 

And learn to model anything new I need.

Just hope my Carrara continues to work with future Windows updates since that is no longer actively supported by DAZ either.

Oh no, I'm sorry to hear about your reduction in work days. :(  I hope that things work out and that you get more work days again. 

For now though, you might keep an open mind about freebies that the community regularly releases. When I first started doing 3D art I mainly used freebies and bought content very very rarely. The number of freebies that the community releases every week (many can be found at the "other stores" as well as the Wiki) is pretty amazing! So even though you may not be able to spend as much, you should be able to get a nice amount of fresh content with some of the freebies created by the community and PAs who also give away freebies. Some of the freebie content creators are hugely talented and release freebie content that is Daz Store quality. People like AllenArt, Wilmap, and Adam Thwaites (just to name a few) create some really great content that I enjoy a lot! With all the freebies that come out regularly, I'm sure you can get some nice stuff even if you can't purchase 3D content as frequently as before.

Post edited by 3Diva on
  • AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,146
    Mistara said:

still waiting for david6 and freak6

Never happen.  They became less profitable over time until they weren't profitable enough for Daz3d to keep making them (their overhead on each figure is higher than an individual artist's).  Another Hiro is also very unlikely for exactly this reason.  If you see a figure in one generation but not the next one it's because it didn't make the profitability cut.  That's why there keep being more Victorias, Stephanies, Olympias, and Michaels but not much consistency in other male figures (I was just as shocked as anyone to not have Gianni continue on, mind you).

David's niche of "young but less huge adult male" is occupied at present by Elijah and Owen.  For your Freak alternative I recommend RawArt's Massive and SimonWM's Swole (both available all the way back to Genesis 2/Generation 6 if you're sticking with that generation).  For a David alternative for Genesis 2 I think you'd need to use Slosh's Generation 5 Legacy Shapes for Genesis 2 Males (which are a very quality conversion that I have used myself).

Wait, what...no Gianni? o.O

The air has suddenly gone out of my sails....

Laurie

• ItsCeoItsCeo Posts: 471

@divamakeup - "as well as the Wiki" - from above - I looked at a couple wikis and a wikia - I didn't see what you were talking about.  Is there a Wiki that tells about free items and not just that the Daz software is free?

ItsCeo said:

@divamakeup - "as well as the Wiki" - from above - I looked at a couple wikis and a wikia - I didn't see what you were talking about.  Is there a Wiki that tells about free items and not just that the Daz software is free?

This site has a ton of links to freebies: https://poserdazfreebies.miraheze.org/wiki/Main_Page

• ItsCeoItsCeo Posts: 471
    ItsCeo said:

This site has a ton of links to freebies: https://poserdazfreebies.miraheze.org/wiki/Main_Page

Cool!  Thank You!  smiley

ItsCeo said:
    ItsCeo said:

Cool!  Thank You!  smiley

You're welcome! :) Hopefully you'll find some fun stuff that you like. I've gotten some great freebie finds through that site! 

• Griffin AvidGriffin Avid Posts: 3,758

"... the PA will quote a price close to what they might make on a relatively successful product's entire run because they ..."

Not something you can use as a standard. 

a) It's not always starting from scratch.

b) If it's what the vendor already does, it's not that massive a stretch.

c) Also assuming that vendor would never sell it or make it available anywhere else to offset the cost of production.

------------------------

I think, when you start using Daz, you pitch your tent once you realize the huge hurdles for cross-compatibility. One thing is their sales engine. If Daz cost ANYTHING, you wouldn't be willing to buy all these utility add-ons that actually WOULD have been included in normal updates. So all these basic morphs and stuffs are the real cost Daz gets users to drop for using their program. If you look closely, the FREE version is scaled down and is very BASIC. Once you buy all the morphs and regular features that make it 'fully featured' you've paid what The Pro version of Daz Studio should cost. Never mind lighting solutions and rendering helpers. Heck, they don't have a manual, but expect you to pay for tutorials. (I know, a bit of a stretch, but I'm on a roll now)

-----------------

So let's call it what it is. Generation 8 drops and what? - you're back to the price-model that people have claimed ended, which is, buying a base figure. Sure Generation 8 is a free base figure, but that [insert name] bundle is where it's at. And then from there, you're buying ALL THE SAME FEATURES again for this new generation. Mostly it's the Morphs AND you have to get a whole slew of.....COMPATIBILITY products. And the assets follow. Same outfits, but for eight. Same poses, same Temples, lounges, shoes...etc...and it's across all the genres.

----------------

When I first started using Daz, like as recent as 2 years ago, I chose Generation 2 as THE ONLY ONE I'M GOING TO USE- for-eva! because there were so many products and they seemed to always be on sale. I didn't see any difference between 2 and 3 so I picked 2. Eventually 3 was just too supported to ignore. What I actually might do is go backwards and start again with all the V4 figures and yep, start will all the V4 content- same poses and morphs and whatever Daz had available for that generation and just mix freely.

-------------------

I say all that to say, it doesn't really make sense to hold on to one way of doing things (or generation of figures)  and struggling with workarounds and fixes. Sometimes the comfort zone is exactly the place you need to move away from. I'm slowly warming up to the idea of Generation 8.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,942

yeah I use that Mirahese wiki site a lot

and believe me I have no shortage of content 160 pages in my product library 

I was a prolific purchaser

DAZ is doing me a service not continuing to feed my addiction 

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,090
    edited April 2018

"... the PA will quote a price close to what they might make on a relatively successful product's entire run because they ..."

Not something you can use as a standard. 

a) It's not always starting from scratch.

b) If it's what the vendor already does, it's not that massive a stretch.

So? A product for the new figure would not always be always starting from scratch either, or be "a massive stretch" from what they usually do.
    But the vendor would be spending their time working on your item instead of working on another product which could generate way more revenue.

c) Also assuming that vendor would never sell it or make it available anywhere else to offset the cost of production.

You conveniently removed the part about the vendor not expecting that item to sell much beyond the commission. Making it available for sale afterwards won't help you put food on the table if it doesn't sell...

Post edited by Leana on
  • Griffin AvidGriffin Avid Posts: 3,758

Making it available for sale afterwards won't help you put food on the table if it doesn't sell...

So okay, let's all make up scenarios. I got one. Yeah, someone comissions a vendor to make an item they really want....something THAT DOES NOT EXIST in the Daz store.

Vendor makes it, they buy 1 and it's released to daz, it goes through and everyone else likes it too. That same vendor releases items from his own imagination and that item tanks, but the comissioned item sells better. Highly possible. Oh wow, you know what - this happened last year and THIS YEAR.

---

If you want to stick to the idea that a comissioned item won't sell and every Vendor's choice item will make them "thousands" go ahead.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,090

Making it available for sale afterwards won't help you put food on the table if it doesn't sell...

So okay, let's all make up scenarios. I got one. Yeah, someone comissions a vendor to make an item they really want....something THAT DOES NOT EXIST in the Daz store.

Vendor makes it, they buy 1 and it's released to daz, it goes through and everyone else likes it too. That same vendor releases items from his own imagination and that item tanks, but the comissioned item sells better. Highly possible. Oh wow, you know what - this happened last year and THIS YEAR.

---

If you want to stick to the idea that a comissioned item won't sell and every Vendor's choice item will make them "thousands" go ahead.

The point was that when you commission an item that is not available because it is not likely to sell much then the vendor will usually charge you more than if they think it will sell.

Could a commissionned item also be a big seller if released (provided that DAZ accepts to sell it in the first place, which is not guaranteed at all)? Of course, that can happens. It depends on what the item is....

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,159
    edited April 2018

th3Digit said:
    " I have no shortage of content 160 pages in my product library 

I was a prolific purchaser

DAZ is doing me a service not continuing to feed my addiction"

Indeed.   I think that is true for anyone that has been using daz a long time, you get to a point that everything starts to looks the same and having to renew the technology to keep up with every new generation of characters, it looses it appeal quickly . . So I can see why Daz has to try to appeal to new generation of customers to bring new people for a customer new base.  I can Imagine older users like me "of the older customers base"  drop off from purchases from varies of reasons.   I'm lucky I have money to still buy stuff .    But I am very choosy &  limited in what I do buy now days. I have a lot of daz characters already so do I really need a population of daz people the size of NEW YORK? when the the population of Sidney is good enough..lol

Post edited by Ivy on
  • SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    Hey, looks like I owe an apology. I didn't break NDA or anything earlier; I don't remember being told there will or won't be a Gianni 8. I incorrectly thought I remembered there being no Gianni 7, so no 8 seemed logical. You'd think I'd remember when I bought the Pro Bundle. (Facepalm) Sorry about that. But hey, the fact that I'm an idiot means we may get our barbarian boy after all.
  • MimicMollyMimicMolly Posts: 2,117
    Hey, looks like I owe an apology. I didn't break NDA or anything earlier; I don't remember being told there will or won't be a Gianni 8. I incorrectly thought I remembered there being no Gianni 7, so no 8 seemed logical. You'd think I'd remember when I bought the Pro Bundle. (Facepalm) Sorry about that. But hey, the fact that I'm an idiot means we may get our barbarian boy after all.

I'm relieved, though I assumed it was more of him changing names this generation..

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,146

LOL....no idiot inferred ;) A lot of figures have come and gone since and you're a busy person :P

Laurie

• melaniemelanie Posts: 771

I still use Gianni 6 because of his characteristic face. I would love to see an updated David, but when I asked about that a while back, I was told basically that David won't be updated beyond David 5. I was sorry to hear that they "killed him off." He was one of my favorites.