Daz to Maya question

Comments

• drzapdrzap Posts: 795
    edited December 2017

Here is another example.  Good progress!

JoshJCM2_DAZ.jpg
    1391 x 1151 - 165K
    Josh_JCM2Maya.jpg
    1703 x 1041 - 141K
    Josh_noJCM2.jpg
    1703 x 1041 - 143K
    Post edited by drzap on
  • paulgpaulg Posts: 1
    drzap said:

Hey! Anyone knows how to fix this (See screenshot). Teeth become a bit too rounded and the gaps between them a bit too large...Thanks.

This is an fbx import problem.  AFAIK, it can only be fixed by using the method I described in this thread.  Import a subD OBJ file in the T-pose and use it as a blendshape for your character.  Obj files don't have the teeth problem.

paulg said:
    drzap said:

I don't have a lot of assets yet to compare, especially since my girl is out of town, but I can confirm that I am also having this problem, though it is hit and miss.

In the first photo, there is very clearly HD detail missing.  This time I confirmed it on the website that it was an HD figure.  She also has the teeth problem you mentioned, but I never have eye problems.  The second render there are no problems.  The teeth problem can easily be fixed, but the missing HD.....       I also tried morphing with the HD figure and so far have failed.  Maybe the HD mesh is different somehow.  I will have to test with more specimens.  Looks like another advantage for MDD.

Hey! How do you fix those teeth?

Please read my above comments in this thread.  I have explained how you can apply a hi rez OBJ blend shape to your character in Maya. This will eliminate the teeth problem (for the most part).  So far, I have been able to morph all my characters, except the ones with geo shells or mesh eyebrow attachments.  You need the help of additional scripts to blend those figures.  As you can see below, no teeth problems.

Thanks dude! But is possible to import only teeth. I mean, for me its fine base mesh but those teeth are killing me hahah. Regards.

• drzap said:

I just finished my first G3F Facial Rig.  Very excited.   I'll be looking forward to the update.  I was a beta tester too.

Please how did you do the facial rig? I've been trying to get a working joint based rig for my genesis 3 fbx character in Maya but no luck. A little help will mean the world to me.

My G3F rig is fairly simple. I used this script to create the nodes.  I created nulls as offsets and one controller for each joint (I forget, but I think there are 62).  The script will create the offsets for you, just make sure you check the offset button.  After I created the nodes, I placed the nulls just under the figure's nose (I know it sounds odd, but you will notice that the joints on the face are not at 0,0,0 in their neutral position.  Apparently, they were originally created just under the nose and moved into place without freezing the transforms)  and parent constraint each joint to the corresponding control.  Then I grouped the nodes just so (see the red circle in the screengrab of my Outliner).  The script will do most of the grouping for you.  Create your UI and parent the whole thing to your head effector and it's done.  I also created sliders for blend shapes.  The nice thing about this is you only have to do this once.  You can use this rig to hold your facial animation and then transfer the animation to your final character or you can just morph the mesh into your final character.

Screenshot (51)_LI.jpg
    2502 x 1423 - 2M
    edited December 2017

...OR you could do what I did for my Genesis 2 characters.  I really wanted to have controls directly on the face, but I am too inexperienced to figure out how to do it.  It's really complicated.  So I hired a rigger to do it for me.  Send me a PM if you want the contact.  They did a great job.

Screenshot (52).png
    2255 x 1398 - 536K
    Post edited by drzap on
  • Thanks alot drzap for the info. Much appreciated. I'll get started asap. Will keep you posted.
    Thanks alot drzap for the info. Much appreciated. I'll get started asap. Will keep you posted.

Cool.  Send me a PM if you need help.  I am a beginner, but I can at least tell you what helped me.

• jrpesterjrpester Posts: 3
    edited March 2018

Delete

Post edited by jrpester on
    edited March 2018

Delete

edited March 2018

Delete

• playertkplayertk Posts: 1
    edited January 2018

I encountered a problem when using DaztoMaya .   I send characters to Maya2017,  No face control was found in Shap Editor.

like this :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOKufaQIPHM&t=83s   

time to   1:23second  

Does anyone know the right way to get face control?

11111.jpg
    1220 x 729 - 98K
    22222.jpg
    1652 x 763 - 80K
    Post edited by playertk on
    edited January 2018
    playertk said:

I encountered a problem when using DaztoMaya .   I send characters to Maya2017,  No face control was found in Shap Editor.

Your face morphs should automatically appear.  I have no idea why yours did not transfer, but I have a theory.   Is your Daz Studio in Chinese or English?

Post edited by drzap on
    edited January 2018

And now she has hair....  Render time only 1:07

Lana_YetiRAW_2.jpg
    1659 x 1041 - 1M
    Post edited by drzap on
  • bluejauntebluejaunte Posts: 1,861

So what's the best way to get animations back into Daz Studio?

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,764

Export to bvh & import to DS

wolf359 said:

I don't even see a bvh export in Maya. I'm such an animation newb I have no clue what I'm doing angel

• zuxuzuxu Posts: 0
    playertk said:

Export FBX with Morphs only one time.

drzap said:

wolf359 said:

I don't even see a bvh export in Maya. I'm such an animation newb I have no clue what I'm doing angel

If you are using Maya, you must use FBX to transfer animations back to DS.  Maya doesn't officially support the bvh animation format. Unfortunately, its not as easy as exporting an FBX from Maya.  A very reliable way is by using Motionbuilder.  I think others are using iClone.  Why you want to get back into Daz Studio is baffling to me.  Maya has one of the best renderers in the business.

I'm also a newb, but that doesn't keep me from pumping out some fierce hairdevil.  I'm loving Daz characters in Maya.

Kaila_curl4.png
    1657 x 1041 - 2M
    Kaila_curl4._side.png
    1657 x 1041 - 2M
    Kaila_curl4_back2.png
    1657 x 1041 - 2M
    drzap said:
    drzap said:

wolf359 said:

If you are using Maya, you must use FBX to transfer animations back to DS.  Maya doesn't officially support the bvh animation format. Unfortunately, its not as easy as exporting an FBX from Maya.  A very reliable way is by using Motionbuilder.  I think others are using iClone.  Why you want to get back into Daz Studio is baffling to me.  Maya has one of the best renderers in the business.

How do I get an animation from fbx onto the Daz character though? Importing an fbx just gives me a separate rig it seems, how does one get that onto a Daz character? Utterly bewildering to a bloody animation novice that's for sure.

As to why, mostly just toying around but I'm interested to see how these animations in the store end up in Daz Studio. Couldn't we also use this as a tool to create poses, I guess like a 1 frame animation?

edited January 2018
    drzap said:
    drzap said:

wolf359 said:

How do I get an animation from fbx onto the Daz character though? Importing an fbx just gives me a separate rig it seems, how does one get that onto a Daz character? Utterly bewildering to a bloody animation novice that's for sure.

As to why, mostly just toying around but I'm interested to see how these animations in the store end up in Daz Studio. Couldn't we also use this as a tool to create poses, I guess like a 1 frame animation?

I can vouch for this video created by Daz3d.   It works perfectly for G3 and G2 also.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5E5DU8O6ho   Regarding your second question, once you import the animation, I guess you are free to use any frame as a pose.  Just save it as a pose preset like the video describes.  Or save the whole animation as a preset.

Post edited by drzap on
    drzap said:
    drzap said:
    drzap said:

wolf359 said:

I can vouch for this video created by Daz3d.   It works perfectly for G3 and G2 also.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5E5DU8O6ho   Regarding your second question, once you import the animation, I guess you are free to use any frame as a pose.  Just save it as a pose preset like the video describes.  Or save the whole animation as a preset.

I use G8. So the easiest would be DazToMaya, Maya to Motion Builder via fbx, Motion Builder to Daz via bvh? Pretty weird also that the no.1 animation software out there doesn't support bvh.

edited January 2018

"I use G8. So the easiest would be DazToMaya, Maya to Motion Builder via fbx, Motion Builder to Daz via bvh? "

This procedure can also be done in Maya but sometimes its a little tricky.  Import the Daz figure (don't use DaztoMaya).  Setup the HIK characterization manually.  Reassign the animation to the Daz rig.  Bake to skeleton.  Export fbx to Daz.  EDIT- I could be wrong about the no DaztoMaya part.  I haven't used the plugin for a while.

"Pretty weird also that the no.1 animation software out there doesn't support bvh."

I think there are three reasons why this is so.  1.  Biovision, the creator of bvh is dead.  That means no more updates to bvh.  2.  The bvh file format is not fit for production use.  I mean studio production.  There can be only one animation per file (as far as I have seen) while FBX can group dozens of motion captures in one file which is much more convenient for production.   3.  FBX is an Autodesk format and industry standard and they want to continue to promote it.

Post edited by drzap on

Export fbx to Daz, then import how? All I get is either nothing or some separate skeleton. Confused as to how the animation is actually supposed to end up on G8F.

edited January 2018

Export fbx to Daz, then import how? All I get is either nothing or some separate skeleton. Confused as to how the animation is actually supposed to end up on G8F.

ideally, you want to export your G8 to daz studio Maya via fbx.  Characterize it for an IK skeleton rig.  If you have an animation on another rig, you can reassign the animation using the method described in the video.  Then just follow the other directions.  Sometimes I don't get good results this way, probably because I am always changing the fbx export settings for other things I am doing.  If you have Motionbuilder, that is by far the surest way to do it.  I don't need to do this very often because I have weaned myself off of Daz Studio.

Post edited by drzap on
    edited January 2018

Hmm partial success. Messing with fbx export options I got something in Daz to move at least and the animation seems to be correct but everything is stretched though. smiley

Oh there were actually errors messages.

g8f_fbx_stretch.jpg
    671 x 728 - 24K
    g8f_fbx_errors.jpg
    408 x 181 - 32K
    Post edited by bluejaunte on
  • pdr0pdr0 Posts: 204
    edited January 2018

Hmm partial success. Messing with fbx export options I got something in Daz to move at least and the animation seems to be correct but everything is stretched though. smiley

Oh there were actually errors messages.

It should work with maya's fbx export too, the same as mobu

Ignore what it looks like in DS when you import the FBX. You're just using the FBX for a container for bone animation +/- morph animation. You're not using the actual FBX, you're just transfering the keys to your model in DS

If you're just using bones, save it as an an animated pose preset in DS . If using morph animations, use an animated properties preset

Merge the preset to the destination character, but don't forget to unlock nodes and set rotation limits off before merging the preset

Bryan stegall posted a video tutorial for the mobu workflow, the relevant info is near the end

[code]

[/code]

Why is vimeo "blacklisted" on this forum ?

vimeo-dot-com/227139373

Post edited by pdr0 on

Hmm when I save an animated pose preset and apply that to G8F nothing happens at all though. Not even an error in the log file, just nothing.

I noticed that Mobu does something when you choose "expand branches" in the context menu before exporting the fbx.  I think that's the difference.  I forgot what settings I used to get Maya to work before.   I was desperate and I tried everything.  No so desperate now.  MOBU is the best.  You can get a free trial or student version.

• drzap said:
    playertk said:

Your face morphs should automatically appear.  I have no idea why yours did not transfer, but I have a theory.   Is your Daz Studio in Chinese or English?

Although my computer system is Chinese windows 10,my DAZ installation directory is not Chinese

Have anyone come across such a problem? How did you fix it? Does the plug-in supplier have an explanation of this problem?

222.jpg
    1594 x 690 - 149K