Transferring Morphs from Genesis to G2M/G2F and from G2M/G2F to Genesis (Now with Clones!)

Comments

• KatteyKattey Posts: 2,899
    edited April 2014

jarbeard said:

"Go to Hidden/Clones and dial Genesis clone to 100%. G2M should now look like Genesis."

Kattey,

Can I ask where this is please, I'm totally baffled????

Cheers

John.

Hello, John
    When you open Parameters tab with your figure selected, there should be a section, under Actor, called Hidden and within it, there should be another section called Clones (picture 1)

To see it, you also need to have Show Hidden Properties checked in a panel that opens from small square on left-top of Properties panel (picture 2)

HiddenProperties.jpg
    1045 x 640 - 155K
    HiddenClones.jpg
    1104 x 670 - 169K
    Post edited by Kattey on
  • jarbeardjarbeard Posts: 53
    edited December 1969

Thanks Kattey, It was nice of you to reply so quickly:lol:

John.

edited December 1969

jarbeard said:
    Thanks Kattey, It was nice of you to reply so quickly:lol:

John.

You are welcome :)
    If you have any questions feel free to ask
  • william leonardowilliam leonardo Posts: 1
    edited December 1969

Kattey said:
    How to make a clone.
    1) Put some DNA into Axlotl tank..

^_^"

Err, I actually meant G2F clone for your Genesis autofit so you can reverse-fit G2F clothes to Genesis.
    As with any autofit the result is...well... autofitting. I don't think it would work on shoes and gloves all that well and there are usual problems of boobs.

The full functionality of G2F to Genesis autofit can only be used in DS 4.6 because DS 4.5 can't autofit TriAx to TriAx but I'll split this tutorial into two sections, because you can still get some helping usability in DS 4.5 with G2F shape.

Part I (both DS 4.5 and DS 4.6): Getting G2F shape into Genesis and making it a clone.

For this you need to already have OriginalGenesis morph as explained in post 7 of this thread or quickly unlock that shape as explained in this post
    Important thing you need to be able to dial original Genesis Shape in G2F.

1. Load Genesis on scene. Set Resolution Level to Base and Subdivision to 0.
    Export it as obj with only "Ignore Invisible Node" checked, everything else unchecked, I called it Genesis Base LR.obj for example
    I used Hexagon scale (I unit = 1 cm) with 100%.

Delete Genesis.

2. Load G2F on scene. Dial OriginalGenesis (which you would have) morph to 100%.
    Load your Genesis Base LR.obj

3. Load Transfer Utility
    As source select G2F, shape 'Current' (it is important), as a target Genesis Base LR.obj, shape default.
    Projection Template: None
    I also didn't use Near Vertices method this time but it might give better results.
    I left everything like it is, only unchecked Morph Sources - Projection templates and checked Reverse Source Shape from the Target.
    Don't add smoothing modifier but leave Fit To Source Figure.

As a result you should have Genesis shape fit to Genesis 2 Female. Don't unfit it for now.

4. Dial OriginalGenesis in G2F down to 0.
    It should make our Genesis Base LR figure, by virtue of being fit to G2F, to repeat the default G2F shape.

5. Make all of G2F is invisible by clicking an eye in a Scene tab or delete it.

6. Export G2F shape from Genesis as, say, Genesis G2F LR.obj (same parameters as above).

7. Clear the scene. Load Genesis and go to Morph Loader Pro.
    In Morph Loader Pro select Genesis G2F LR.obj as a morph.
    - Change its name to Genesis2Female
    - Change its group to Hidden/Clone
    You don't need to select reverse deformation.

G2F morph now should load and dial correctly.

If you simply want to use G2F morph, in this step you need to put it into Actor/Female/Real World group or something like that and do Bone Adjustment/ERC Freeze as it is explained in step 10 here but we don't need this for making a clone. You don't need to do any other steps aside of Bone Adjustment/ERC freezing.
    Just G2F morph might help you to rerig G2F clothes for Genesis in DS 4.5 where you don't have TriAx to TriAx autofit
    If you still wish to make a clone, follow to step 8.

8. When the morph is loaded, click on small gear near the slider and set
    Name: CloneGenesis2Female
    Label: Genesis2Female
    Path: Hidden/Clones
    Type: Hidden/Clones - if you can't change it leave it as it is, we will fix next step.
    Set min and max limits at 0, Use Limits, Hidden, Locked.

Save this morph as Morph Asset (it should be located in Hidden/Clones of Genesis).
    My saving process put this morph as CloneGenesis2Female.dsf into data\DAZ 3D\Genesis\Base\Morphs\Additional Morphs folder

9. You'll need to open this CloneGenesis2Female.dsf file in text editor and change/check some lines.
    Commas at the end of the line are important!,

Line 4 "id" should have a proper path to your morph (I'm not sure it is 100% important)
    Line 16 should be "id" : "CloneGenesis2Female",
    Line 17 should be "name" : "CloneGenesis2Female",
    Line 20 should be "type" : "Modifier/Clone",
    Line 21 should be "label" : "",
    Lines 26 to 38 of block "channel" should look like this

"channel" : {
    "id" : "value",
    "type" : "float",
    "name" : "Value",
    "label" : "Genesis2Female",
    "visible" : false,
    "locked" : true,
    "value" : 0,
    "min" : 0,
    "max" : 0,
    "clamped" : true,
    "step_size" : 0.01
    },

And finally line 39 should be "group" : "/Hidden/Clones",

Save your file under same name CloneGenesis2Female.dsf

Part 2. DS 4.6 specific.
    Load Genesis, load G2F clothes, Select "Fit To" Genesis, and among the shapes you should have "Genesis2Female".
    Use projection template that you'd like and after autofitting is done save as Figure/Prop Asset somewhere into your library.

Notes.
    It worked and looked better for me with SickleYield Projection templates.
    Underbreast and (I think) pelvis areas are somewhat distorted. Bigger and more drastic shapes like Infernal Behemoth will be distorted as well.
    In DS 4.5, if you made a usual Genesis2Female morph instead of clothes in step 7, you can refit G2F clothes by exporting them as objs, importing them back and using transfer utility with G2F default shape dialed as 100%, Genesis Source used as 'Current' and Reverse Source Shape from the Target.

Pictured Genesis (in DS 4.6, grrr), with Demonics and Asari head morphs by DarioFish, Free Wilmap G2F Summer dress, Briallen texture and Apprentice Mage in Tower pose. Autofit used SickleYield projection templates and my G2F clone shape. Smoothing modifier added and collision and smoothing both around 6.

• SassanikSassanik Posts: 340
    edited December 1969

Okay I did this transfer morphs thing a few months ago without too much trouble. But for some strange reason I am having all sorts of problems this time!

I figure I must be missing some simple step along the way. I am getting stuck at 17% where it just freezes or when I adjust the settings it will freeze at 35%. *sighs*

I have been trying to follow the instructions here on this thread and the guide I used last time.

Suggestions, ideas? I seem to remember someone else mentioning it freezing at 17% but darned if I can find that thread now!

Thanks!
    Amy

edited December 1969

I recall having similar problem. Can you check if you have the same error if you turn the Subdivision down on your figures to 0 and set everything to Basic Resolution?

• SassanikSassanik Posts: 340
    edited December 1969

Yep, still hanging at 17%.

Amy

edited December 1969

Might it happen because your number of morphs increased drastically? If you did a couple of transfers here and here you might have quite a lot of morphs.

edited May 2014

Also, in this tutorial the transfer goes between TriAxed full V4 and Genesis. I wonder if this can be a cause as it seems to be here .
    Can you check any method which uses Obj proxy instead of direct transfer between figures (page 1 should have some links)? Or transfer only few favorite morphs (latest DS has ability to 'bookmark' favorite morphs and transfer only those)?

Post edited by Kattey on
  • SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited December 1969

Kattey said:
    Within the file the line #18, that starts with 'parent'
    Does it point at the location of main G2F dsf file?
    Something like
    "parent" : "/data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 2/Male/Genesis2Male.dsf#Genesis2Male",
    Or does it still points at female one?

I found a similar problem last night while transferring a few morphs the other direction. This line is indeed the problem. In a female-to-male transferred morph, the line instead reads "parent" : "/data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 2/Male/Genesis2Male.dsf#GenesisMale", (missing the 2) which seems to cause trouble with some morphs but not others. Add the 2, and see if that solves it.

I tried this with a simple morph from G2F Creature creator with the Fingernails Claw morph. It never showed up on G2M and I also tried adding the missing 2 in line 18 and it still never showed up. All Female was replaced with male in the dsf and the file was placed in a created folder within morphs called "Creature Creator" just the same as the female dsf was.

Am I missing something?

edited December 1969

I do not have Creature Creator but can you check if your initial G2M already had a morph called Fingernails Claw?
    If two morphs have same names, only one will actually work.

• SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited December 1969

Kattey said:
    I do not have Creature Creator but can you check if your initial G2M already had a morph called Fingernails Claw?
    If two morphs have same names, only one will actually work.

Many thanks Kattey, I do not have a conflicting morph (The fingernails claws Ive been so desperate for LOL)

I woke up today and in dawned on me that I should try using the G2Mclone on G2F with the Morph dialled (which thankfully, as its only altering nails, it didn't need an ERC" Exported as an OBJ and imported it in morphloader pro on G2M and set it up as a new Morph. It actually turned out nicely :D

Now on that note while typing this, I compared Line 18 on both the "G2F to G2M Dsf" I copied and edited, and the Dsf of the "morph" I created in Daz... the difference is this..

Text edited attempts: (Fails)
    "parent" : "/data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 2/Male/Genesis2Male.dsf#GenesisMale-1",
    "parent" : "/data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 2/Male/Genesis2Male.dsf#Genesis2Male-1",

Daz morph loader:
    "parent" : "/data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 2/Male/Genesis2Male.dsf#Genesis2Male",

I never knew the -1 needed to be removed while the 2 was added to Genesis*Male lol

edited December 1969

Glad it worked for you!

Yes, the parent line should refer to the affected dsf name, just as it appears in your browser. If it is called, say, Genesis2Male-123456.dsf, the "parent" line should refer Genesis2Male-123456.dsf
    The part after '#' sign, from my understanding, refers to affected _node_ within the figure hierarchy
    For example, one CTRLBrowInnerUp.dsf which is used to control a brow in Genesis, has parent line that is looking like that
    "parent" : "/data/DAZ 3D/Genesis/Base/Genesis.dsf#head
    #Genesis2Male means the whole figure

Again, I'm glad you figured it out! Cheers :D

• ChromaDrakeChromaDrake Posts: 288
    edited December 1969

I've successfully used Murgatroyd's method in the past as described in his post:
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/24093/P390/#484862
    I had to re-install DAZ a while back, and I finally got around to transferring the one morph I wanted but I found Murgatroyd's method was not working.

I found for the morph I was transferring, I did not do a global replace of “Female” with “Male” or visa versa. I only needed to change the text in the “Parent” line.

“parent” : “/data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 2/Male/Genesis2Male.dsf#Genesis2Male”,
    Or
    “parent” : “/data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 2/Female/Genesis2Female.dsf#GenesisFemale-1”,

Changing text in the rest of the *.dsf causes this method not to work.

Has anyone else found this to be the case?

• RCDescheneRCDeschene Posts: 2,799
    edited December 1969

Hey Kattey, have you seen this post yet? Slosh drops a nice little Autofit Clone secret. :)

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/49605/P30/#726703

edited December 1969

Hey Kattey, have you seen this post yet? Slosh drops a nice little Autofit Clone secret. :)

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/49605/P30/#726703

No, I don't see his posts usually. I knew about dsj-clones but people had problems with even making usual dsf morph-clone, so I didn't mention it.
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,184
    edited December 1969

I'd like to know more about it if you have time to write up some steps for it. Thanks.

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

barbult said:
    I'd like to know more about it if you have time to write up some steps for it. Thanks.

Hi Kattey,

Thanks for all the useful info you have posted on clones. I was wondering if you know anything about converting uv maps?

For example creating a uv map based on an older character for a new one. I'm not looking at distributing the finished product just looking at creating them for myself as I want to do things like v4 to textures to dawn so they wouldn't be distributable due to copyright issues.

thanks

Pen

edited December 1969

Sorry for delay in answers, my forum notifications of this thread dropped by some reason.

barbult, I'll try to make a tutorial, but with holiday and post-holiday season it might be a bit of wait.

Pendraia, I'm assuming you asking about a choice of using G2F UVs, say, on V4 or M3, that kind of UV transfer?
    I did some tests and had some success with 3D Max uv projections, but yet to find any DS user-friendly way. One of the vendors who did commercial UV transfer maps products once mentioned that he/she knows a quite time-saving way to do this but by obvious reasons didn't share this knowledge as a public tutorial.

edited December 1969

Kattey said:
    Pendraia, I'm assuming you asking about a choice of using G2F UVs, say, on V4 or M3, that kind of UV transfer?

Yes...I was. I got some info off Slosh yesterday which I was playing with in UVLayout and discovered that in UV Layout there is a trace function under Display. By clicking on Trace you can load an image that will sit in the tile and you can manipulate the uv's to match the image. The good thing about this is you can also view the texture in 3D mode.

Still playing with this but when I get it to a point where I know what I'm doing I will write a tutorial for those people who want to know how.

edited December 1969

Pendraia said:
    Kattey said:

Yes...I was. I got some info off Slosh yesterday which I was playing with in UVLayout and discovered that in UV Layout there is a trace function under Display. By clicking on Trace you can load an image that will sit in the tile and you can manipulate the uv's to match the image. The good thing about this is you can also view the texture in 3D mode.

Still playing with this but when I get it to a point where I know what I'm doing I will write a tutorial for those people who want to know how.
    Thanks for the info :) As for tutorial - that would be awesome!

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,410
    edited December 1969

You can also go to Texture/Load and load a texture and see it in 3D view.

edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    You can also go to Texture/Load and load a texture and see it in 3D view.
    Thanks Frank...always useful to know new options.
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,410
    edited December 2014

Yeah, I use it all the time. I didn't know about the other so thanks

Post edited by frank0314 on
    edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    Yeah, I use it all the time. I didn't know about the other so thanks
    No problem, I've been learning lots today including how to hide using materials or polygroups.
  • DkgooseDkgoose Posts: 1,451
    edited December 1969

So, I've seen this thread a million if times and I think I tried a tutorial once a while back, but wasn't very successful. After reading about Gen3 autofit clones for Genesis 2 I started trying the tutorial for V4 clone for G2M, but could not get passed the 5th step I think it was loading the morph to G2M, but before giving up and finding great you can dial the GenX morph on gen2 and export that and reimport it seems to have worked perfectly. So, I just wanted to thank everyone who put the tutorials together, I transferred most of the Gen3 family autofit settings to G2M and G2F, and also Crested a G2M clone for Genesis till I can afford to buy the one in the store. Now though I'm tempted to buy the Kids 3 GenX addon lol

edited January 2015

5th step is transfer utility and loading the morph into G2M is a 7th step
    Most commonly the problem with loading the morph back to a figure happens because of wrong resolution or vertex order; if you exported your G2M initially at High Resolution level and 1 (not 0) subdivision level it won't load back to G2M properly. Alternatively, you could had exported your obj with options like Remove Unused Vertices checked which also could mess things up a bit.

This thread is for solutions on how to get some additional usability out of DS capabilities without using GenX – while GenX does the same stuff, not everybody want or can to use it, so this is about workarounds.

Post edited by Kattey on
  • DkgooseDkgoose Posts: 1,451
    edited December 1969

I understand that, I still found the tutorial helpful though, I hope my post didn't come off as rude, it wasn't meant to be, I just wanted to say thanks, they were helpful and even fun going through the steps.

edited December 1969

No, not rude at all, I just wasn't sure if the purpose of this thread was clear enough, because it is true that Gen X can do the same and easier.

Thanks are very welcomed and I'm happy that you found this stuff useful for you :)

• 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,470
    edited December 1969

Seriously though....this is one of the greatest threads ever!!!!!!! :) Thanks!