Transferring Morphs from Genesis to G2M/G2F and from G2M/G2F to Genesis (Now with Clones!)

Comments

• SylvanSylvan Posts: 2,683
    edited December 2013

I did it, I did it!
    One small thing though, some areas in the face are distorted and also the teeth and ears.
    I followed SIckleyield's tutorial and there is indeed a mention on distorted morphs and a way to fix it with IRC freeze.
    But nothing seems to change after I follow up the steps in that tutorial.
    I also get lost on where thge figure should be saved, is it in the same place as the first time?
    Because the data path to the genesis G2M figure isn't showing up for me, only the path to the Genesis 1 base figure.
    I think there is where it goes wrong.

By the way, it's my own costumized M5 figure I am trying to dial in.

1.png
    666 x 708 - 450K
    Post edited by Sylvan on
  • KatteyKattey Posts: 2,899
    edited December 2013

I did it, I did it!
    Glad to hear this ^_^

A couple of questions:
    - did you do Adjust Rigging to Shape command before ERC Freeze?
    - after you did ERC Freeze, did you resaved the morph as Morph Asset(s) under same name?
    - if yes, when you dial your ERC-freezed morph, can you turn on Display of bones (Show Bones in Parameters for a figure) and see if bones adjust themselves along with a slider?

I also get lost on where thge figure should be saved,

_Figure_ should not be resaved! You only need to save transferred _morphs_ as Save As -> Save as Assets -> Morph Asset(s) and then select newly transferred morphs from a list. It should save them into proper data folder for your current figure.
    Post edited by Kattey on
    edited December 1969

A couple of questions:
    - did you do Adjust Rigging to Shape command before ERC Freeze?
    Yup

- after you did ERC Freeze, did you resaved the morph as Morph Asset(s) under same name?
    I think I went wrong here. I choose a different name. Going to start over with the same name now.

- if yes, when you dial your ERC-freezed morph, can you turn on Display of bones (Show Bones in Parameters for a figure) and see if bones adjust themselves along with a slider?
    Eveyone is talking about bones. Only thing I can find that looks remotely the same, is "joint editor". or is that the same?

Going to do all the steps again. I am very determined as this shape is very important to me :)
    Thanks a million for your time and patience!

edited December 2013

Estroyer said:

Eveyone is talking about bones. Only thing I can find that looks remotely the same, is "joint editor". or is that the same?
    To check if bones are moving along with slider you can use Joint Editor, yes. But to _make_ bones adjust to morph (so later you can keep that connection with ERC Freeze) you need to
    - load your figure, load your morph
    - dial that morph that gives you a problem, 100%
    - go to Edit -> Figure -> Rigging -> Adjust Rigging to Shape (first two options always checked but with or without Adjust Orientation (third option) works depending on situation for me)
    - if you have your bones visible, you should notice that their position is changed.

Now, to make that change gradual, - so rigging will adjust itself 54% between default and 100% adjusted when you dial your morph 54% - you need to do ERC Freeze as explained in SickleYield's tutorials and _then_ (zero morph first) resave the morph with ERC freeze with bone adjustment under the same name.

So general process is
    1. Transfer morph
    2. Save morph as morph asset.
    (if morph has drastic shape change) 3. Rigging adjustment if needed
    4. ERC Freeze for rigging adjustment
    5. (zero morph) and Resave the morph with ERC Freeze and rigging adjustment

If you using my method at no point you should be saving a figure. I might need to go back and clarify this additionally. Ben's method might be different in this respect.

Going to do all the steps again. I am very determined as this shape is very important to me :)
    Thanks a million for your time and patience!

No problems, I'm glad to be of help :)
    Post edited by Kattey on
    edited December 1969

Still, the same results.
    I have the feeling that I am getting confused by all the exports and saves I need to do and unsure where I need to put each and every one of them.
    Also, I think it's a case of not understanding what is happening in the process.
    I do get the part up unto transferring the Gen1 morphs over to Gen2.
    But when it comes to the bone part, I have no clue as to what I am doing.
    To name one, I have no idea as to why the shape needs to be dialed back to 0 again when doing a final save...

It's 2 o'clock in the night now and I really need to go to sleep now, or I'll be a cranky mess in the morning :)
    Still, I am of a mind to get this working.
    Tomorrow I will try your tutorial again (for a third time LOL), instead of Sickleyield's and see if that works out.

I have been spending app. 16 hours on this M5>M6 morphing thing so far but if others are able to do it, so can I!
    It also is a great oppertunity to get a better understanding of the innerworkings of DAZ Studio.
    If I get this thing to work, there will be a party with strippers, chocolate and free drinks.

• LP4EverLP4Ever Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I made a new tutorial with a new different way ...

In to this video you'll learn use 3DsMax - ZBrush - DAZ3D to match figures Correctly !!!

You Can Download It Here :
    http://uploadboy.com/sw8gyhd2ohd4.html

edited December 2013

Estroyer said:
    But when it comes to the bone part, I have no clue as to what I am doing.
    I'll try to explain :) Please ask additional questions if I'm not explaining well

For morphs with noticeable shape change you need to make bone adjustment so the figure will bend properly.
    Here I've made some examples on why it is needed.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/483163/

This is why we make that step 3 with Adjust Rigging to Shape thing.

Now, even if you adjust rigging to a morph, the rigging will stay this way regardless if morph is dialed or not. What you want is make adjusted rigging to _follow_ the morph. This is why we make ERC Freeze just after the rigging adjustment. With morph dialed 100% and adjusted rigging, ERC Freeze creates a link which basically says to DAZStudio program "When morph is dialed 100% the rigging should look like that!" So, if morph dialed in-between 0 and 100%, say, as 54%, the rigging will be 54% between default state and adjusted state as well. This is why we do ERC Freeze.

To dial morph back to zero before saving is just a nice thing to do. It means than when you load your figure fresh from a library all your morphs will be zero 0% as well. Otherwise your fresh figure from the library will always load with this morph dialed 100% or something like that.

Tomorrow I will try your tutorial again (for a third time LOL), instead of Sickleyield's and see if that works out.
    Please ask me any questions and I'll see if I will be able to help!

I have been spending app. 16 hours on this M5>M6 morphing thing so far but if others are able to do it, so can I!

It is easier once you get it :) I really hope it will work well for you.
    If I get this thing to work, there will be a party with strippers, chocolate and free drinks.
    Yay! :D
    Post edited by Kattey on
    edited December 1969

I made a new tutorial with a new different way ...

In to this video you'll learn use 3DsMax - ZBrush - DAZ3D to match figures Correctly !!!

You Can Download It Here :
    http://uploadboy.com/sw8gyhd2ohd4.html

Thank you very much :)
    edited December 1969

I tried it with M5 this time and again the same deformity as in my dialed figure (see picture).
    Teeth are messed up and some parts are flattened like the thumb and tip of the ear, amongst others.

I consider myself bright (up until this moment lol).
    Kattey, would you mind if I'd pm you a detailed step-by-step description of what I am doing so you can catch me at where I am going wrong?
    Because it will be quite long and I don't want to clog the forum.
    If we can pull this off and find my error, I can post the solution later on the forums so perhaps others can learn from it :)

The only reason I am staying sane, is because I really really want this to work.
    And it's party time!

no.png
    547 x 649 - 309K
    edited December 1969

Kattey, would you mind if I’d pm you a detailed step-by-step description of what I am doing so you can catch me at where I am going wrong?
    Because it will be quite long and I don’t want to clog the forum.

Sure, no problems, my PM box should be able to accept letters :)
    edited December 1969

Okidoki, I made a step by step screenshot overview of everything I do and send it in a pm to Kattey.
    I am so curious where I go wrong!
    Keeping you guys posted :)

• RCDescheneRCDeschene Posts: 2,799
    edited December 1969

I'm not sure if this was already mentioned, but there's no indication on the first page. Is there a way I can make Basic Head Morphs for G1, G2F & G2M? I want to be able to mix and match G2 bodies with G1 heads.

• siocsioc Posts: 299
    edited December 1969

Any separated morph can be transfered,

edited December 1969

sioc said:
    Any separated morph can be transfered,

But how do I do that for basic Genesis heads? There are no separate morphs between between head and body for the base figure shapes.
    edited December 2013

I don't know how to make a separate Genesis morph with DS tools, although I can make a separate Genesis head morph for you with ZBrush if you so wish.
    There are separate Basic Female and Male head morphs in Genesis.

Post edited by Kattey on
    edited December 2013

Kattey said:
    I don't know how to make a separate Genesis morph with DS tools, although I can make a separate Genesis head morph for you with ZBrush if you so wish.
    There are separate Basic Female and Male head morphs in Genesis.

No! Separate Basic Female & Male Shapes as in the G2 bases! :lol:

Basically, I want to do the following:

Genesis Head (G2F)
    Genesis Body (G2F)
    Genesis Head (G2M)
    Genesis Body (G2M)
    Genesis 2 Female Head (G1)
    Genesis 2 Female Body (G1)
    Genesis 2 Male Head (G1)
    Genesis 2 Male Body (G1)

Post edited by RCDeschene on
    edited December 1969

Genesis Head (G2F)
    Genesis Body (G2F)
    Genesis Head (G2M)
    Genesis Body (G2M)
    Genesis 2 Male Head (G1)
    Genesis 2 Male Body (G1)

Look into your PM box ;)
    edited December 1969

Kattey said:
    Genesis Head (G2F)
    Genesis Body (G2F)
    Genesis Head (G2M)
    Genesis Body (G2M)
    Genesis 2 Male Head (G1)
    Genesis 2 Male Body (G1)

Look into your PM box ;)
    I did, what am I looking for? o.o
    edited December 1969

Kattey said:
    Genesis Head (G2F)
    Genesis Body (G2F)
    Genesis Head (G2M)
    Genesis Body (G2M)
    Genesis 2 Male Head (G1)
    Genesis 2 Male Body (G1)

Look into your PM box ;)

I did, what am I looking for? o.o
    The answer I'm writing right now and didn't finish yet :p
  • Coon RaCoon Ra Posts: 200
    edited December 1969

Cannot make OriginalGenesis morph for G2F/M in DS 4.6.1.17. No ERC Freeze option on Parameters pane drop-down menu, I found it in Property Hierarchy pane, drop-down menu of selected figure hierarchy. But it doesn't work as DS is crashing every time I'm trying to finish ERC freezing.
    (Beside that Property Hierarchy plugin was discarded by DS due no valid serial number were found for it. That's BS as this studio is pro and beside that I have serial for FST in my account. Anyway I activated it again.)

edited December 1969

Which DS version you use?

• KickAir 8PKickAir 8P Posts: 1,865
    edited December 2013

DAZ_jared said:
    The fine print : Items purchased as part of the Snowball of Savings sale (this includes both Snowball items, and items purchased with the Snowball discount) are ineligible for return . . .

Bio Squad Dragonfly's blurb says it's for Genesis, not the G2s -- I'm wondering how well it'll work for them, given the wings, tail, and my inexperience with the various conversion options available. :red: Normally I'd buy it, try it, and return it if it didn't work out, but . . . 8-/ Anybody thinking of giving it a shot while it's still Snowball-eligible (today & tomorrow, and Merry Christmas to you too) I'd love to hear about it.
    Post edited by KickAir 8P on
  • mawkroymawkroy Posts: 21
    edited December 1969

I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but the current method of transferring morphs doesn't seem to be working well for morphs that include scaling. Freak 5 doesn't scale any of the body parts, it's more of a basic "shape" morph. Some morphs don't transfer at all like the proportions morphs (hourglass, short, lanky, etc). Basic Child is another morph that scales incorrectly. Many head shape morphs (especially those transferred from Gen4) won't adjust eye/jaw scaling and translations.

The only way I have been able to get these to work:

1. Dial in the specific morph.
    2. Set mesh resolution to base and subdivision level to 0.
    3. Export OBJ, then zero out Genesis. Import OBJ through morph loader.
    4. Dial in the morph you just made, then adjust rigging to shape. ERC freeze, then save it as a morph asset.
    5. Transfer morph to G2M/F.

As you can imagine, this is pretty time consuming, and there's no way to bulk process it, at least that I know of. If anyone knows of a better way, please let me know!

• JoeQuickJoeQuick Posts: 1,698
    edited December 1969

Do you guys have an easy way to move a genesis headmorph back on down to m4?

edited December 1969

Joequick said:

Not easy, and I didn't find a universal method that works for each morph. The problem with reverse transfer is that Gen4 figures can't be automatically bone adjusted (and I'm not sure ERC freeze works with morphs of that format). So morphs can be transferred in pretty much same way but any drastic morph would create distortion in joints if joints are bent.
  • JoeQuickJoeQuick Posts: 1,698
    edited December 1969

Kattey said:
    Joequick said:

Not easy, and I didn't find a universal method that works for each morph. The problem with reverse transfer is that Gen4 figures can't be automatically bone adjusted (and I'm not sure ERC freeze works with morphs of that format). So morphs can be transferred in pretty much same way but any drastic morph would create distortion in joints if joints are bent.

I'm just looking to move a human headmorph over and save myself the time of resculpting it.

edited December 1969

Some morphs don't transfer at all like the proportions morphs (hourglass, short, lanky, etc).
    Those morphs aren't actually morphs but custom scaling of various bodyparts tied to a slider via ERC links so yes, method won't consider them.

The only way I have been able to get these to work:

I'll add a link to your solution in the first post, so people might find it easier. Thank you ^_^

As you can imagine, this is pretty time consuming, and there's no way to bulk process it, at least that I know of. If anyone knows of a better way, please let me know!
    Well, there is a way which is slightly faster.
    Say, you transfer "G2F morph to Genesis" way. Export Genesis obj on zero subdivision, base resolution, Import it back, set G2F to Genesis shape (better if you have Genesis morph already but you can unlock the clone), and use transfer utility with G2F shape as "current" (i.e. dialed Genesis shape). You don't need to transfer morphs in this case, so you can uncheck Morphs checkpoint entirely, but you'd need to check weightmaps and surface and other things that you do when you make obj into an outfit.
    Fit the resulting 'Genesis' clothes to G2F. After it is done, zero G2F and Genesis should follow as an extremely tight bodysuit.
    The purpose is to make Genesis into "clothes". After that you just dial appropriate G2F shape or scaling slider and Genesis should follow the morph along with scaling. It won't create a morph in Genesis so you'd still need to export morphed Genesis objs and import them back into your real Genesis for them to become actual morphs (with bone adjustment/ERC freeze afterward if needed) but it might be faster to get a bulk of morphed/scaled shapes this way. But this method slightly smooths minor details.

edited December 2013

Joequick said:
    Kattey said:
    Joequick said:

I'm just looking to move a human headmorph over and save myself the time of resculpting it.
    In this case the method is about the same (export Gen 4 mesh as obj, transfer utility with either morph transfer or 'fit to' way, import morphed Gen 4 obj back as a morph) but you'd need to export your Gen 4 obj with existing groups (so obj has all those lShin, rEye groups in it) and import it back into DS with those groups as well, otherwise the morph might not import back into Gen 4 after it is shaped. If you use DS before 4.6.1.33 (I think), both Morph Loader Pro and Morph Loader Advanced will glitch and won't create an actual morph, just empty slider, although they'd indicate that everything is good.
    You'd might also need some Iconic Gen 4 shapes to match the basic shape although for M4 and V4 shapes Genesis M4 and V4 clones (in Hidden/Clones) might do.

Also mind that zero poses and default poses in Gen 4, especially Victoria 4, aren't the same and aren't same as default poses of Iconic shapes and/or Gen 4 clones.

Post edited by Kattey on
    edited January 2014

With all of the adaptability hype going about, it made me realize something as I was dialing around with G1 character shapes on G2. Sometimes the shapes will warp and distort when dialed or posed. I conducted a series of tests between G1 and the G2 figures to see just how adaptable each past DAZ Icon was without the need to (re)purchase the Gen 4 & 5 Legacy Shapes.

With the two G2 figures dialed 50% to Genesis "Classic" with G1 itself dialed 50% either G2F or G2M (depending on the character I was comparing), I discovered that G2F adapts quite well with all the female shapes (those being V3, V4, V5, S3, S4, S5, A3, A4, A5, G4, YT5 Julie, and even Hitomi). However, while G2M adapted just as well with most of the male shapes (those being M3, M4, M5, D3, D5, F3, F4, F5, and H5), there was significant warping with H3, H4, and YT5 Justin being the most disastrous.

Here are the following results of the last mentioned three. From top to bottom: Justin, H4, H3:

Test_Render_3.jpg
    1029 x 740 - 227K
    Test_Render_2.jpg
    1029 x 740 - 241K
    Test_Render_1.jpg
    1029 x 740 - 239K
    Post edited by RCDeschene on
    edited January 2014

Sometimes the shapes will warp and distort when dialed or posed.
    Did you make bone adjustment/ERC freeze? Warping when posed happens usually because new morphs rely on (slightly) different position of bones.

Another thing is that for extreme morphs you might want to check weightmaps on such extremities as eyelashes. I never had any problems with eyes of that kind, although I know some other members had them. There was, in this thread, a similar problem with Julia, I believe, and I think it was resolved.

However, while G2M adapted just as well with most of the male shapes (those being M3, M4, M5, D3, D5, F3, F4, F5, and H5), there was significant warping with H3, H4, and YT5 Justin being the most disastrous.

Have you tried the method where you conform a blank obj to a figure, like clothes, dial a morph on a primary figure, make a primary figure invisible and export the 'clothefied' obj as a morph?
    Post edited by Kattey on