OT Update 2: Nvidia & AMD about to lose a lot of sales from cryptominers?

Comments

• KitsumoKitsumo Posts: 1,210
    Greymom said:
    Greymom said:

Ack.   Asus now has a motherboard designed for cryptomining, with an optimized BIOS for "Mining Mode".   It supports 16, yes 16 GPUs via an array of PCIEx1 connectors.  So all you have to do is find 16 high-end GPU's.....

Dear god I've never wanted anything more in my life.

The MB is the ASUS B250 MINING EXPERT LGA 1151.   It is on sale this week for $189.  Now if I just had $26,000 for the graphics cards.....

Will that setup work for rendering? I imagine the startup will be slower because textures, etc are going over a 1xPCI-E bus, but the render will (hopefully) execute normally from there. Has anyone actually tried it and can give us stats?

Also, I just realized my motherboard has two of those little connectors. Does this mean I can just buy two PCI-E riser cables and add two cards (assuming I have the space/power)?

• GreymomGreymom Posts: 1,104
    Kitsumo said:
    Greymom said:
    Greymom said:

Ack.   Asus now has a motherboard designed for cryptomining, with an optimized BIOS for "Mining Mode".   It supports 16, yes 16 GPUs via an array of PCIEx1 connectors.  So all you have to do is find 16 high-end GPU's.....

The MB is the ASUS B250 MINING EXPERT LGA 1151.   It is on sale this week for $189.  Now if I just had $26,000 for the graphics cards.....

Will that setup work for rendering? I imagine the startup will be slower because textures, etc are going over a 1xPCI-E bus, but the render will (hopefully) execute normally from there. Has anyone actually tried it and can give us stats?

Also, I just realized my motherboard has two of those little connectors. Does this mean I can just buy two PCI-E riser cables and add two cards (assuming I have the space/power)?

Have not tried this, as I am still waiting for decent GPU prices, but I have seen pics of mining rigs with graphics cards on every PCIE port on the MB, whether it is PICEx16, x8, x4, x2, x1.  GPUs mounted in an external frame.   Newegg has the risers, etc.   I don't know how a rendering program would handle all this.   But, the way the mining rigs work, if I understand correctly, is to load each card and then crunch on the data a while, sort of like rendering.

If anyone has any experience with this, would love to hear about it!

• agent unawaresagent unawares Posts: 3,513
    Greymom said:
    Kitsumo said:
    Greymom said:
    Greymom said:

Have not tried this, as I am still waiting for decent GPU prices, but I have seen pics of mining rigs with graphics cards on every PCIE port on the MB, whether it is PICEx16, x8, x4, x2, x1.  GPUs mounted in an external frame.   Newegg has the risers, etc.   I don't know how a rendering program would handle all this.   But, the way the mining rigs work, if I understand correctly, is to load each card and then crunch on the data a while, sort of like rendering.

PCI-E slots with less lanes load the scene slower but only take a small hit to render time.

https://direct.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/175226/effects-of-pci-e-bandwidth-on-load-and-render-times

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/NVIDIA-Iray-GPU-Performance-Comparison-785/

Greymom said:
    Kitsumo said:
    Greymom said:
    Greymom said:

PCI-E slots with less lanes load the scene slower but only take a small hit to render time.

https://direct.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/175226/effects-of-pci-e-bandwidth-on-load-and-render-times

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/NVIDIA-Iray-GPU-Performance-Comparison-785/

Thanks!  Excellent info! 

Awesome! That's what I was hoping to see. So for a render that may take a half hour or more, taking an extra 12 seconds or so to get started won't be a big deal. Now I just have to wait for the crypto market to collapse. Either that or introduce my own 3d render based currency. DazCoin? Iraynium? CUDACash?

edited March 2018
    Kitsumo said:

Awesome! That's what I was hoping to see. So for a render that may take a half hour or more, taking an extra 12 seconds or so to get started won't be a big deal. Now I just have to wait for the crypto market to collapse. Either that or introduce my own 3d render based currency. DazCoin? Iraynium? CUDACash?

Edit: I'm only joking. Please don't send me a cease and desist letter.

Edit: Edit: I need to learn how to edit posts correctly.

Post edited by Kitsumo on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,593
    edited March 2018

...DazDollrz?

"Iraynium", isn't that on the periodic table?

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    kyoto kid said:

...DazDollrz?

"Iraynium", isn't that on the periodic table?

Yep, right next to Unobtainium....

...yes

So that's the "secret ingredient" in GPU cards these days.

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770
    kyoto kid said:

...being retired, disabled and on a fixed income,

We're in the same boat, although I'm retired because I'm disabled. I was halfway to saved for a 1080 when it went up $300 and I can't really justify the extra cost because some people found the digital version of the Beanie Baby. So I'm stuck with my 750ti and since the Daz upgrade things are just not running well. Luckily the weather is warming up and I can go back to photography for a while and hopefully prices will come down by next winter. 

I had allotted $$$ for a new card this year too, hoping to get a 1080Ti. I was about to make the purchase when the prices doubled over night. Even the price on my old 750Ti and my current 1050Ti went up quite a bit. I will make do for now, but would really like the extra render power as I'm already outgrowing my 4GB card.

Llynara said:
    kyoto kid said:

...being retired, disabled and on a fixed income,

We're in the same boat, although I'm retired because I'm disabled. I was halfway to saved for a 1080 when it went up $300 and I can't really justify the extra cost because some people found the digital version of the Beanie Baby. So I'm stuck with my 750ti and since the Daz upgrade things are just not running well. Luckily the weather is warming up and I can go back to photography for a while and hopefully prices will come down by next winter. 

I had allotted $$$ for a new card this year too, hoping to get a 1080Ti. I was about to make the purchase when the prices doubled over night. Even the price on my old 750Ti and my current 1050Ti went up quite a bit. I will make do for now, but would really like the extra render power as I'm already outgrowing my 4GB card.

I was ready to upgrade too. I hesitated because I've never paid $600 for a video card before. Now that seems like a bargain. I'm going to hold off for a while and see if this crypto mania dies down a bit. It can't go on forever.

If anyone is looking to replace their whole PC, there's hope. Dell has systems that include video cards at normal prices (so around $1600 for a whole PC including 1080ti). I don't know how long that will last.

Newegg has the Gigabyte gaming boxes; 1080 for $699 and 1070 for $599. It's a little expensive because you're paying for an enclosure, but still cheaper than buying the card alone.

• tj_1ca9500btj_1ca9500b Posts: 2,048

This GPU price insanity is starting to make that Quadro P6000 with 24GB of memory look very attractive... I'm getting annoyed with the number of times my renders drop to CPU only on my dual GTX 1080's (8 GB ea, doesn't stack of course), plus with Windows 10 reserving so much GPU memory (only 6.4GB available to Iray), well you can see why 19.2 GB of memory is looking so attractive to me right now...

edited March 2018

...actually as I learned, with Quadro cards you can set them it ignore W10 WDDM.  If I had the funds I'd consider a P5000, double the VRAM of a 1070/1080.

Of course I am one who didn't jump on the W10 offer as first it would Home Edition which gives almost complete control over to MS and early on there was a major issue of BSODs caused by the forced updates you could no longer reject unless you disabled updating completely. When I heard about the VRAM reserving, that was the final nail in the coffin for 10. 

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,892

I'm sort of resigned to the prices, since it doesn't look like bitcoin is going to collapse soon. I suspect it will EVENTUALLY but it's passed the short bubble threshold.

Stinks, but it could be worse; when I first was doing CGI, half decent renders required computers FAR beyond anything I could afford (like in the tens of thousands).

• The miners are reportedly so short of graphics cards that they're starting to go after cpus like Threadripper for raw computing power. Expect those prices to spike upwards a bit, as well.

• Peter FulfordPeter Fulford Posts: 1,325
    Oso3D said:

I'm sort of resigned to the prices, since it doesn't look like bitcoin is going to collapse soon. I suspect it will EVENTUALLY but it's passed the short bubble threshold.

I think the Bitcoin calculations have become so large that the small guys with GPUs aren't really in the game much now. But there are newer crypto currencies, and more to come. It'll take the whole field to collapse to ease the pressure.

...beginning to feel this may be the end of the road with respect to Iray for anyone who wasn't able to get a decent GPU card before the price spike.  True, Daz nor nobody else foresaw this happening but it is still very disheartening and discouraging.

Wish I could resell all the dedicated Iray shader and effects content I purchased as it probably will not be used much if at all anymore unless I come into a small windfall to afford the ludicrous prices.

The miners are reportedly so short of graphics cards that they're starting to go after cpus like Threadripper for raw computing power. Expect those prices to spike upwards a bit, as well.

...they are making it impossibly expensive for us to do anything anymore.  First GPUs, then PSUs, and now CPUs, all wasted on the chance to "get rich quick".  Makes me wonder if there was a shortage of shovels and picks in in 1849 that drove up the prices for those tools.

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,316
    Oso3D said:

Stinks, but it could be worse; when I first was doing CGI, half decent renders required computers FAR beyond anything I could afford (like in the tens of thousands).

I agree, and there are work arounds. There seems little point in letting it get to you, it is what it is. I'm use to having to find work arounds to get the images I want because I can't afford high end or even middle end hardware.

• NathNath Posts: 2,720
    scorpio said:
    Oso3D said:

I agree, and there are work arounds. There seems little point in letting it get to you, it is what it is. I'm use to having to find work arounds to get the images I want because I can't afford high end or even middle end hardware.

I've taken to using scene optimizer, and I'm shelving my plan to revamp my old pc this year and drag it on for another few years; looks like I'm better off going for a new pc rightaway (well, hopefully next year), instead of spending an extra $1000 or so in between. Especially since it looks like the $1000 won't be enough.

• Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 1,983

Why I am glad I got my new system when I did, don't have to worry about not have to get a house loan to pay for one..

• PadonePadone Posts: 3,481
    Oso3D said:

I can remember those first renders on the Amiga when I was just a little child. At the time a chrome sphere was just amazing and it took hours LOL .. With this gpu madness going on I feel like we're going back to stone age soon ..

• kyoto kid said:

...beginning to feel this may be the end of the road with respect to Iray for anyone who wasn't able to get a decent GPU card before the price spike.  True, Daz nor nobody else foresaw this happening but it is still very disheartening and discouraging.

Wish I could resell all the dedicated Iray shader and effects content I purchased as it probably will not be used much if at all anymore unless I come into a small windfall to afford the ludicrous prices.

I'm starting work on a plugin that may be able to use those, as long as they are compatible with the nVidia MDL specification to some degree.

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,348
    kyoto kid said:

The miners are reportedly so short of graphics cards that they're starting to go after cpus like Threadripper for raw computing power. Expect those prices to spike upwards a bit, as well.

...they are making it impossibly expensive for us to do anything anymore.  First GPUs, then PSUs, and now CPUs, all wasted on the chance to "get rich quick".  Makes me wonder if there was a shortage of shovels and picks in in 1849 that drove up the prices for those tools.

And it is even scary for those of us who did get a decent nVidia card before the huge price increases. What happens down the line when our old card fails and we need a new one or when we need to upgrade?

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    edited March 2018
    kyoto kid said:

And it is even scary for those of us who did get a decent nVidia card before the huge price increases. What happens down the line when our old card fails and we need a new one or when we need to upgrade?

One of the video outputs went on my 970, and my 980ti, with W10, is woefully short of RAM. I'm on holiday in a couple of weeks, think I'll install W7 then, cba as damn sure something will go wrong if I do it on a weekend. :)

Working on getting used to Cycles (again) in Blender; getting semi decent is easy,  but its taking time for me to get better. Then its an AMD Radeon Pro.

Just over £800 for a basic 1080ti; Rog Strix was about £950, but I'm now seeing call for price. Silly cash.

Post edited by nicstt on

Another potential complication is that companies are finding applications for the Blockchain technology beyond cryptocurrency.  These will presumably require vast amounts of number crunching as well.  This could actually be a good thing if it takes off, as it should be more of a stable and long-term demand for GPUs compared to the scary-volatile crypto area.  A long-term demand should encourage NVIDIA to raise capacity.  Then again, it may squeeze the supply even more short- and medium-term.

The GPU issues make me even more interested in some of the "tricks" for reducing IRAY render time that various folks have posted.  Such as rendering at a higher resolution, then reducing the image size, as a means of postwork noise and firefly reduction.   I am hopeful that the "AI Noise Reduction" feature that I heard will be in a future IRAY update will be a big help.  I don't know if this feature will work in CPU mode.

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,142
    edited March 2018
    kyoto kid said:

I honestly can't fault anyone for trying to improve their finances if they can. It's more the middleman companies that sell the hardware that are increasing the prices. It's what happens when demand outpaces supply unfortunately. Someday it has to level out, but it won't for awhile and I guess we'll all just have to ride it out best we can :)

Laurie

Post edited by AllenArt on

...however some are likely making a killing off of this.

Been looking at 3DL shader resources recently and considering picking a few up I don't have.  If I go back to Iray at least they will be easier to convert.

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited March 2018
    kyoto kid said:

Makes me wonder if there was a shortage of shovels and picks in in 1849 that drove up the prices for those tools.

http://ports.parks.ca.gov/pages/22922/files/worksheet-goldrushprices.pdf

Indicates the price of a shovel in 1851 due to the gold rush was $36.00 each (in 2007 prices, that's $1007.33 according to the article.)

Post edited by sriesch on

...OK thanks.

The one difference though those were prices in the local areas near where mining took place (similar to what happened in North Dakota with the shale oil boom in 2014).  However it didn't have the far reaching worldwide effect (or even across the divide) like the cryptomining rush is doing today.

Back then, as it mentions, many came with dreams of striking the motherlode only to come up short or empty handed.  How I wish the same would happen with this crypto rubbish.