OT Update 2: Nvidia & AMD about to lose a lot of sales from cryptominers?

Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 1,982
edited March 2018 in The Commons

Just when you thought things could not get any worse for video card prices, if the information in the video is true then they are going to go up again. And there is likely not to be any relief until sometime in the 3rd or 4th quarter of this year..

Big Update:

Well a big update on the situation seems that GPU prices look to be coming down sooner than anticipated, if the information in this video is true..

Update 2:

Looks like cryptominers are moving away from GPUs for mining, and that ASIC's look set to take their place..

Post edited by Ghosty12 on

Comments

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

Time to switch to AMD, and their new Rendering system; best part is you can use AMD and NVidia cards together.

• dragotxdragotx Posts: 1,134
    nicstt said:

Time to switch to AMD, and their new Rendering system; best part is you can use AMD and NVidia cards together.

Neat idea in theory, but for those of us that use Iray exclusively, we're kinda stuck until Daz does something to enable us to migrate to the AMD renderer.  Unless I'm misunderstanding something and Iray materials and tools work in the AMD system?

edited February 2018

no idea yet; it's coming to Blender, and I've started exporting scenes to see how i do using them. I started my rendering with Blender and then Cycles.

It would be great if it could be added to Daz.

Post edited by nicstt on
  • Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581

You'll have to reserve your card at the Nvidia website for base price. Luckily I have my 1080gtx and 980gtx.. would love to get the TI, but I can wait. 

• dragotxdragotx Posts: 1,134
    nicstt said:

no idea yet; it's coming to Blender, and I've started exporting scenes to see how i do using them. I started my rendering with Blender and then Cycles.

Ah, there's the rub for me.  I've tried to learn Blender several times and have bounced off it hard every time.  It's still on my roadmap to learn, but it's an ongoing process

• Are AMD cards unaffected, then?

• AMD cards are also affected.  

That being said, server pulled K80's are starting to hit ebay for resonable prices...!

• GreymomGreymom Posts: 1,104

I tried to reserve a 1080 at the NVIDIA site.  I got a notification finally, and responded within a couple of minutes, as soon as I saw the notification, pushing the "buy" button, but just got cycled back to the page to be notified when some were available.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,576

...yeah it should be more like a real "reservation" where if you put your name in one is held for you for a certain span of time.  I've had my name in on a 1070 for a while now and feel like I'm waiting for that letter from Ed McMahon that confirms I won 10$ million in the Publishers' Sweepstakes.

(and yeah I know he passed on nine years ago)

This is getting way out of line. Maybe Daz needs to rework it's agreement with DNA (3DL) and get more of it's features open to us as I feel GPU rendering has pretty much been put out of reach for many of us by the ridiculous prices (thanks to the combined effects of a memory shortage and the Cryptomining Rush).

Nvidia's Tesla line is primarily geared towards raw computation power, they have no video outputs so the card cannot be hooked up to display to monitor render progress. Just looked at ebay and K80s are still priced well over 1,000$, for a now three generation old GPU card (Kepler) which is a power hungry (300 W).  You would almost be better off getting a 16 GB Quadro P5000.

• kyoto kid said:

...yeah it should be more like a real "reservation" where if you put your name in one is held for you for a certain span of time.  I've had my name in on a 1070 for a while now and feel like I'm waiting for that letter from Ed McMahon that confirms I won 10$ million in the Publishers' Sweepstakes.

(and yeah I know he passed on nine years ago)

This is getting way out of line. Maybe Daz needs to rework it's agreement with DNA (3DL) and get more of it's features open to us as I feel GPU rendering has pretty much been put out of reach for many of us by the ridiculous prices (thanks to the combined effects of a memory shortage and the Cryptomining Rush).

Nvidia's Tesla line is primarily geared towards raw computation power, they have no video outputs so the card cannot be hooked up to display to monitor render progress. Just looked at ebay and K80s are still priced well over 1,000$, for a now three generation old GPU card (Kepler) which is a power hungry (300 W).  You would almost be better off getting a 16 GB Quadro P5000.

As long as the software has a video card it can display on, whether or not the computation card has one is irrelevant, and actually is a better choice on Windows 10, for reasons I won't go into in this thread.
    edited February 2018

...you would most likely need a Quadro card (at least an NVS one) as they and Tesla cards use the same driver set.  GTX drivers are not compatible.

Quadro cards also have the ability to disable WDDM.   My point is why not just go with a new P5000 as prices are almost the same, if not higher for used K40s and you get an extra 4 GB of VRAM.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 1,982
    edited February 2018

I think though while my system was a bit on the high side I am so glad I got the GTX1070Ti when I did or I would be waiting till the end of the year for a new comupter system..  And what this also shows is that one has to be careful putting all your eggs in one basket so to speak, when it comes to new rendering systems.. For when things like the current skyrocketing videocard prices happen, it can/could scare a lot of potential customers off..

Post edited by Ghosty12 on
  • TaozTaoz Posts: 9,732
    ghosty12 said:

I think though while my system was a bit on the high side I am so glad I got the GTX1070Ti when I did or I would be waiting till the end of the year for a new comupter system..  And what this also shows is that one has to be careful putting all your eggs in one basket so to speak, when it comes to new rendering systems.. For when things like the current skyrocketing videocard prices happen, it can/could scare a lot of potential customers off..

Maybe DAZ could make a deal with NVidia and get a supply of cards they could sell in their store.

• Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 1,982
    Taoz said:
    ghosty12 said:

Maybe DAZ could make a deal with NVidia and get a supply of cards they could sell in their store.

Well something needs to be done and soon, whether that would work no idea.. But if Nvidia can't keep supply up to meet demand, not sure how Daz would be able to fair any better..

...Nvidia can't even keep them in stock in their own store.

• PadonePadone Posts: 3,481

I believe it's just a matter of perspective and self evaluation.

If you are working in a studio then they will provide you the hardware and probably you will render on an external farm anyway. So what's the gpu price is not your concern.

If you do it at home just for fun then again you can have fun with whatever rendering engine and platform. DAZ Studio worked perfectly fine before Iray and still can do. So no need of nvidia cards.

I mean, sure PBR is great and the new technology is exciting. But it can wait.

...the downside of staying with 3DL is less and less content is being released with 3DL shaders.  Even with the "conversion script" that is a available there is a lot of manual adjustment which needs to be done.  Basically it is simpler to go 3DL => Iray than the Iray => 3DL.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,732
    ghosty12 said:
    Taoz said:
    ghosty12 said:

Well something needs to be done and soon, whether that would work no idea.. But if Nvidia can't keep supply up to meet demand, not sure how Daz would be able to fair any better..

Well DAZ using Iray I assume they're sort of a business partner with NVidia which might give them some advantages. But maybe they're just a small player in the game.

• kyoto kid said:
    This is getting way out of line. Maybe Daz needs to rework it's agreement with DNA (3DL) and get more of it's features open to us...

That's rather a big assumption.

• Probably best deal ATM for DS users are actually used TITAN X (maxwell).  I picked up a pair off ebay for about 550 USD each.  Looks like current trending prices are about 900 USD at "buy at now".  

I know some people have hangups about used PC gear... by my untire render rig for Octane / Iray is used to include the systems containing the cards.  So we are looking at 7 x 780 GTX / 3 x 780 TI / and two TITAN X (maxwell).  

I guess the question folks need to ask themselves... do you want to render or not?

I've been thinking about upgrading my 980ti, but whilst the OS steals RAM i've been holding off.

My thoughts are maybe AMD's pro lineup cards would be a better deal; I've not rendered in Cycles for years, but always loved it, and have the time to learn how to convert Studio to Blender; going to try AMD's render plugin too.

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/amd-radeon-pro-wx-9100

About the same as a NVidia offering but with more RAM; performance-wise it is better from what I've read so far - so worth considering. Will take a bit of a learning curve though, but not like that will be the first time i've had one of those

kyoto kid said:
    This is getting way out of line. Maybe Daz needs to rework it's agreement with DNA (3DL) and get more of it's features open to us...

..,considering the Iray option is pretty much being priced out of our budget (unless we want our systems to be useless for hours while rendering on the CPU) an improved 3DL with more features opened that let people push the boundary of realism (and 3DL is capable of it), it could be a better alternative. True, system memory has gone up in price but not as extremely as GPU cards have.

This is beginning to make that dual 8 - 10 core Ivy Bridge Xeon design I worked up begin to look more attractive.

Gazukull said:

Probably best deal ATM for DS users are actually used TITAN X (maxwell).  I picked up a pair off ebay for about 550 USD each.  Looks like current trending prices are about 900 USD at "buy at now".  

I know some people have hangups about used PC gear... by my untire render rig for Octane / Iray is used to include the systems containing the cards.  So we are looking at 7 x 780 GTX / 3 x 780 TI / and two TITAN X (maxwell).  

I guess the question folks need to ask themselves... do you want to render or not?

...3 and 4 GB cards are pretty anemic for rendering particularly if you are running under W10 which reserves about 18% of VRAM.

Titan X's are an option, but only if you can find one at a reasonable price.

Did find an 8 GB Quadro Kepler K5200 for a 599$ Buy it Now price and another for 350$ but it still has over 2 days of bidding to go.

• GazukullGazukull Posts: 96
    edited February 2018

Yeah, the 780's (TI's) are only for Octane.  Out-of-core (storing textures in system RAM) makes it pretty flexible. Also with network render, the 10 cards can all be on the same task... I get a 720p frame @ 5k samples in about 4 min... which is still pretty crummy for animation purposes.   In the current config, I have 24,768 CUDA cores running the Octane stuff.  I used to be up to 32 plus, but I sold off one of the slave boxes.

If Iray got something similiar to Out-of-core and network render... we would be in good shape, as you could throw whatever you had in the house at it.  LOL!

As for the W10 and VRAM, I find it best to run the monitors off something other than your render cards.  So on this box, I am running the three monitors on the HD4400 and the two TITAN X do nothing but render.

On the workstation next to me, two 780 and the monitors are pushed by a AMD Firepro... that one mostly does Blender sims and acts as the head for the Octane cluster.  In the next room I have two watercooled boxes with 4 cards each... they don't even have monitors attached, I just remote in to have them do whatever it is they need to do.  

Post edited by Gazukull on
    edited February 2018

...that would be nice if they did. As I have two systems one can be dedicated for rendering (once I get a gigabit router).

Octane looks so good but just cannot afford 580$ for the licence and plugin on my income.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • kyoto kid said:
    kyoto kid said:

..,considering the Iray option is pretty much being priced out of our budget (unless we want our systems to be useless for hours while rendering on the CPU) an improved 3DL with more features opened that let people push the boundary of realism (and 3DL is capable of it), it could be a better alternative. True, system memory has gone up in price but not as extremely as GPU cards have.

This is beginning to make that dual 8 - 10 core Ivy Bridge Xeon design I worked up begin to look more attractive.

I don't think it's a matter that they aren't updating 3Delight, it's more that the stuff they are doing is in the script side of things rather than in the user interface.

..well, we've had a couple products come out he last being IBL Master which is a major step as it gives fill IBL lighting without the setup guesswork and long render times associated with UE.  However there are pretty much only three individuals devoted to working on opening more features so ti is very slow going (though the work they are doing is highly appreciated). 

Hopefully once Wowie's new shader tools hit the store, we may finally be able to close the gap a bit more with Iray.

• ghosty12 said:

And there is likely not to be any relief until sometime in the 3rd or 4th quarter of this year..

Sounds about right for the supply chain to respond to this demand. Can't just magic the resources for new cards into being.

If the whole crypto lark turns out to be a bubble that pops, there'll be glut of new cards to fill render boxes with. But then we'll be in competition with the gamers, drat them!

• j cadej cade Posts: 2,310
    ghosty12 said:

And there is likely not to be any relief until sometime in the 3rd or 4th quarter of this year..

Sounds about right for the supply chain to respond to this demand. Can't just magic the resources for new cards into being.

IfWhen the whole crypto lark turns out to be a bubble that pops, there'll be glut of new cards to fill render boxes with. But then we'll be in competition with the gamers, drat them!

FTFY

• lwaveslwaves Posts: 237
    edited February 2018
    Padone said:

I believe it's just a matter of perspective and self evaluation.

If you are working in a studio then they will provide you the hardware and probably you will render on an external farm anyway. So what's the gpu price is not your concern.

If you do it at home just for fun then again you can have fun with whatever rendering engine and platform. DAZ Studio worked perfectly fine before Iray and still can do. So no need of nvidia cards.

I mean, sure PBR is great and the new technology is exciting. But it can wait.

That might be fine to say "it can wait" from your point of view but that's not the same for everyone. Also, whilst what you say about not needing Nvidia cards is technically true, allow me to put it another way.
    You either do own, or probably will own a car. Why do you travel at more than 20-30mph (or equivalent kmh)? You don't NEED to go any faster, you're journey will still be completed eventually and the car works perfectly fine at that speed. So why do you have a vehicle that goes at higher speeds?
    And yes, I know there's laws that cover driving too slow but I'm excluding things like that for the sake of the example.

Post edited by lwaves on