SCI-FI Celebration

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,178
    Redfern said:

And whether it was a Barsoom movie or his own "planetary romance", would it have captured the nation's fascination on so grand a scale as Star Wars achieved?

Basically everything that made Star Wars good was the result of other people having better ideas than George himself, so...no.

• tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 3,533
    Redfern said:

"kicking it old school" with Ming the Merciless and his hedonistic, lustful and selfish daughter, Princess Aura from King Features' "Flash Gordon" drawn by Alex Raymond.

Some accounts claim that George Lucas developed Star Wars when he could not secure the rights to film .  Flash Gordon.  Well, a similar situation involved that earlier property.  Flash Gordon itself was developed when King Features could not secure the rights to adapt Edgar Rice Burroughs' "John Carter of Mars" series of books (in order to compete with Buck Rogers, printed by another comic syndicate).  It does make one wonder.  If Flash Gordon never existed, but rather Alex Raymond illustrating John Carter and Dejah Thoris, would George Lucas have tried to film the Burroughs property instead?  Who held the filming rights during the 70s and would Lucas have been able to obtain them?  And if he couldn't, how different would his personal "space opera" been from the movie we know?  And whether it was a Barsoom movie or his own "planetary romance", would it have captured the nation's fascination on so grand a scale as Star Wars achieved?

Alternative histories...what might have been...hmm...

Sincerely,

Bill

Great Image.

• RedfernRedfern Posts: 1,582
    tkdrobert said:
    Redfern said:

"kicking it old school" with Ming the Merciless and his hedonistic, lustful and selfish daughter, Princess Aura from King Features' "Flash Gordon" drawn by Alex Raymond.

Some accounts claim that George Lucas developed Star Wars when he could not secure the rights to film .  Flash Gordon.  Well, a similar situation involved that earlier property.  Flash Gordon itself was developed when King Features could not secure the rights to adapt Edgar Rice Burroughs' "John Carter of Mars" series of books (in order to compete with Buck Rogers, printed by another comic syndicate).  It does make one wonder.  If Flash Gordon never existed, but rather Alex Raymond illustrating John Carter and Dejah Thoris, would George Lucas have tried to film the Burroughs property instead?  Who held the filming rights during the 70s and would Lucas have been able to obtain them?  And if he couldn't, how different would his personal "space opera" been from the movie we know?  And whether it was a Barsoom movie or his own "planetary romance", would it have captured the nation's fascination on so grand a scale as Star Wars achieved?

Alternative histories...what might have been...hmm...

Sincerely,

Bill

Great Image.

Thanks, TKDRobert!

Here's a bit of trvia.  It looks like I based Aura upon the Filmation animated adaptation from roughly 40 years ago, right?  Well, when debating which version to homage, I di a bit of casual research.  I discovered that in the earliest color Sunday strips Alex Raymond illustrated, he gave her reddish colored hair!  Yup, the Filmation cartoon was a bit more faithful to the source material than either the 1980 camp movie or the Saturday matinee serial of 1936 which both gave Aura raven black tresses.  So I opted for a version that acknowledged the animated series and the original newspaper strip.

Sincerely,

Bill

U.S.S. Discovery

U.S.S. Discovery by tkdrobert

U.S.S. Enterprise 1701-D

U.S.S. Enterprise 1701-D by tkdrobert

• UHFUHF Posts: 512

This is Miss-Quito as Asuka Langley, angry as always.

AsukaLangleyIsAngryb.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 440K
    UHF said:

This is Miss-Quito as Asuka Langley, angry as always.

Cool

Enterprise from Discovery

U.S.S. Enterprise (ST:D) by tkdrobert

Star Trek: Distress Signal

Star Trek: Distress Signal by tkdrobert

Ghost in the Shell

Ghost in the Shell: Cyborg v Cyborg by tkdrobert

Catch Me if You Can.

Catch Me if You Can! by tkdrobert

• Hatsune MikuHatsune Miku Posts: 849
    edited April 2020

Click image below for video--

Xain'd Sleena

Developer(s) Technos
    Publisher(s) Technos, Taito
    Platform(s) Arcade, Amiga, Atari ST, Commodore 64, MSX, ZX Spectrum
    Release 1986
    Genre(s) Platformer, Scrolling Shooter
    Mode(s) Single-player
    Cabinet Standard
    CPU M6809 (@ 1.5 Mhz)
    Sound Yamaha YM2203 (@ 3 Mhz)
    Display 256x224, 512 colors
    Xain'd Sleena (ザインドスリーナ) is a two genre Platformer and side-scrolling arcade videogame produced by Technos in 1986. It was licensed for release outside of Japan by Taito who used the title "Solar-Warrior" in the USA and "Soldier of Light" in Europe.[1]

Gameplay
    The main character, Xain, is a galactic bounty-hunter who must defeat evil forces who oppress five different planets. The player can select any order to play the various planets, so, there is no 'official' sequence of play (For the U.S. version, this game was released as 'Solar Warrior'. This version goes through a set sequence instead of having to choose planets).

Each planet is played with right horizontal and vertical scrolling, shooting enemies and dodging natural hazards. Xain can crouch, double crouch (prone), jump and double jump. In some of the planets the player will need to kill a sub-boss to resume. Certain enemies carry a powerup which changes the default laser gun into a different weapon. The different weapons which are cycled through powerups include a laser-grenade gun, a 2-way gun, a spreadfire gun and a strong bullet gun with their own respective damage and directional firing capabilities.

At the end of the planet, the player goes into battle with a boss. Once defeated, the player plants a bomb into the boss' base and has ten seconds to escape in a starship.

The next half of the planet stage is an interlude stage during which the player must battle through waves of enemy ships while heading to the next planet. After three planets there is a battle through an asteroid field and against a giant mothership.

When all five planets are liberated, the player will play the longer final stage on a gigantic metallic fortress, facing the bosses previously met on each of the five planets. Fighting bosses in this stage is optional. Halfway through the stage the player plants a bomb on the fortress core and has 60 seconds to reach the exit hangar and jump into the starship.

Play or Download @ https://archive.org/details/xaindsleena

Post edited by Hatsune Miku on

4 Anime Characters by tkdrobert

4 more Anime Characters by tkdrobert

Some character concepts.

Kitbashed Mecha

Mecha WIP by tkdrobert

edited May 2020

Agents of Evil.

Agents of Evil by tkdrobert

Post edited by tkdrobert on
  • ZateticZatetic Posts: 284
    edited July 2020

Pandemic forces director of the upcoming Godzilla vs King Kong movie to make some creative alterations to the storyline in order to protect cast and crew.

Just thought I would add a larger pic now that I know how to do that.

GvsKK2020.png
    1200 x 960 - 3M
    Post edited by Zatetic on
    Zatetic said:

Pandemic forces director of the upcoming Godzilla vs King Kong movie to make some creative alterations to the storyline in order to protect cast and crew.

smiley

SDF1

SDF1: Water Landing by tkdrobert

Boba Fett on the hunt by tkdrobert

The Slave 1 represents the 1st model, I have rigged in Daz3D.  I rigged the guns and wings.  Hopefully I can move up to more complicated models.

It was wurst chase I have ever seen. There was no real wiener here.

Made with Daz Studio and rendered with Iray.

Kaiju and driver Daz Studio

Ozcar Minor vehicle www.sharecg.com/v/74296/relate…

Background from HDRI Haven

Puns are all me.

The Chase mini.png
    450 x 600 - 551K
  • Griffin AvidGriffin Avid Posts: 3,758

What you do is attach the picture like you did and then click on the picture and it pops up in a new window.

Right click the picture and copy its address.

Go back to your post and clock the gear to edit.

Then in the body of your post click the picture if the 'mountain landscape box' or highlight the menu tool bar until you scroll over one that says "image".

Click that and it will ask you for an address.

Paste the copied address and make sure in the size field that it's 800 or less in width.

Then save your post and your picture will be live in your post.

That's what I did here.

Zatetic said:

It was wurst chase I have ever seen. There was no real wiener here.

Made with Daz Studio and rendered with Iray.

Kaiju and driver Daz Studio

Ozcar Minor vehicle www.sharecg.com/v/74296/relate…

Background from HDRI Haven

Puns are all me.

Quite amusing.

What you do is attach the picture like you did and then click on the picture and it pops up in a new window.

Right click the picture and copy its address.

Go back to your post and clock the gear to edit.

Then in the body of your post click the picture if the 'mountain landscape box' or highlight the menu tool bar until you scroll over one that says "image".

Click that and it will ask you for an address.

Paste the copied address and make sure in the size field that it's 800 or less in width.

Then save your post and your picture will be live in your post.

That's what I did here.

Thanks for the explanation!

Star wars: Cyborg Bounty Hunter

Cyborg Bounty Hunter by tkdrobert

• CoXComicsCoXComics Posts: 66

My latest Sci-Fi animation.

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287
    CoXComics said:

The ship landing scene at 2:12-2:18 is really neat - and the lens flare there was a nice touch. :)

CoXComics said:

Thats pretty cool.

Hunt Off Planet

Lady Mando

Join the Rebellion