Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 10

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

Oooh, you folks got great buys! My pages were pretty full of textures and skimpware, and I really prefer to do shaders for clothes unless what is offered changes up or adds material zones. 

If anyone gets the Sakura 8 character, feel free to share. I'm passing on all this as I don't need anything like it anytime soon. I even sat out of the gift card sale, I've just got way too much stuff. 

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    Novica said:

Oooh, you folks got great buys! My pages were pretty full of textures and skimpware, and I really prefer to do shaders for clothes unless what is offered changes up or adds material zones. 

If anyone gets the Sakura 8 character, feel free to share. I'm passing on all this as I don't need anything like it anytime soon. I even sat out of the gift card sale, I've just got way too much stuff. 

LOL… Ditto, and likewise!

• Novica said:
    If anyone gets the Sakura 8 character, feel free to share.

She has what I'm going to generously call "eye design issues." I'm copying my writeup from the other thread.

Looking Straight

Looking Right

See the huge gap? I color it black here to make it more noticeable.

What they've done, instead of using round eyes that would fit the socket at all times, is to make a kind of collar that encircles the entire eyeball, the same color as the eyeball, so when there's a gap you see through to the collar. This is an abolutely bizarre design choice, since the collar is never actually going to render the same color as the eyeball in almost any real use case.

Bonus shot of the collar, colored black.

The collar is basically her inner eye socket. Bonus bonus shot of how this looks when she's rendered. It's less noticeable than just looking at the geometry, but it's very noticeable, there's a distinct demarcation between the actual eye and her socket.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Untitled-1.png
    572 x 275 - 186K
  • jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

Looking at the Sakura base, and looking at the promos for it, I get the oddest feeling that she is actually a character that Rarestone made, and then daz saw it and bought it out and decided to make her the new "iconic base" figure. 

And for the first time, I don't like a single item in the pro bundle. (Is it just me or are the sleeves on the jacket in the Kawaii Infused looking really really bad?) - I mean, poses can always be used on other characters so I don't really include them in my "don't like a thing". But nothing makes me go "i must have her!". I'm not a fan of G8 in any way, shape or form anyway and only use her when I actually have to (promos). On the other hand I did really like Keiko and buying the pro bundle means I'd get that Keiko mega bundle free.....but then that's a sale for Sakura that looks like it's because I wanted HER and tells daz that she's an awesome figure and everyone is buying her! And on the other OTHER hand, I don't think I want to drop $59 AU on a bundle that I don't like anything in JUST to get the Keiko mega bundle which I might get at some stage for cheaper. Sakura herself is a character I wouldn't use as is - I think she'd blend quite well with other characters, like when I do that with Star into G3F characters and get lovely results. But like I said, I hate G8 and don't wanna drop that much money on a generation line that I hate...even tho it'd give me an awesome Keiko bundle. 

• agent unawaresagent unawares Posts: 3,513
    edited December 2017
    jakiblue said:

Looking at the Sakura base, and looking at the promos for it, I get the oddest feeling that she is actually a character that Rarestone made, and then daz saw it and bought it out and decided to make her the new "iconic base" figure. 

So do I.

jakiblue said:

And for the first time, I don't like a single item in the pro bundle. (Is it just me or are the sleeves on the jacket in the Kawaii Infused looking really really bad?)

I can't decide on those. I feel like they're supposed to be the thick puffy sleeves with batting inside that are kinda winter coats and kinda not, and don't really wrinkle so much as gently wave all over. I had one like that a long time ago and have no idea what on earth to call the style so I can look up reference photos.

jakiblue said:

On the other hand I did really like Keiko and buying the pro bundle means I'd get that Keiko mega bundle free.....but then that's a sale for Sakura that looks like it's because I wanted HER and tells daz that she's an awesome figure and everyone is buying her!

Eh don't feel guilty if you do go for it, it's just one tiny blip. And you can use the Sakura hairs with Keiko at least.

Post edited by agent unawares on

I've decided they are cyclinder tubes that have just been textured to look like sleeves. devilcheeky 

jakiblue said:

jakiblue said:

And for the first time, I don't like a single item in the pro bundle. (Is it just me or are the sleeves on the jacket in the Kawaii Infused looking really really bad?)

I can't decide on those. I feel like they're supposed to be the thick puffy sleeves with batting inside that are kinda winter coats and kinda not, and don't really wrinkle so much as gently wave all over. I had one like that a long time ago and have no idea what on earth to call the style so I can look up reference photos.

jakiblue said:

• jakiblue said:

I've decided they are cyclinder tubes that have just been textured to look like sleeves. devilcheeky

LOL

I think those sleeves are supposed to be the "gently deflatable" kind as stated, I'm imagining a material stiffer than silk but softer than typical sleeves. I'm thinking the areas go in large sections for movement. We'll have to see what people think when they've putzed around with it.

But those eyes...that's another story. Thanks for showing that!

• StormlyghtStormlyght Posts: 666
    edited December 2017
    Novica said:

Got the $30 off offer, ended up with Insurgent Geisha for $1.33, Viking Opera Singing Textures  for 78 cents,  TOA Ryder (Gen3F)  for $1.33,  Artemis Moon Outfit Textures for 78 cents. (That one has subtle fabrics, elegantly understated.) So all were 94% off and paid $4.22 total.  What did you folks pick up?) 

Hi,

I'm building up my library with some sci-fi assets so I used my $30 off coupon for Sci-Fi Lab and Sci Fi Hand Gadgets 2.

Trish

Post edited by Stormlyght on
  • I had the offer, but by the time I had stuff in my cart, it was gone and the coping of the coupon didn't take.  Slow on the draw, I guess.

• 3Ddreamer3Ddreamer Posts: 1,282

It says on the offer it is good till 31st, may problem is they have lost the Loyalty Bonus since this morning

edited December 2017
    3Ddreamer said:

It says on the offer it is good till 31st, may problem is they have lost the Loyalty Bonus since this morning

Technically, the Loyalty Rewards discount doesn't apply. That discount is only for items featured on the sales page, and this offer is separate. That said, it is not a very good PR move to not apply the extra discount to this offer. It was there, and then it wasn't. People had items in their cart at 51% off early in the day and now the discount is 30%. Now they have disappointed a bunch of their customers.

Once again, Daz has given us a generous Christmas gift, only to muck it up with a snafu. Gltch or no glitch, it is actually in their best interest now to apply the Loyalty Rewards discount to this category. It's all older content that doesn't sell frequently, and stuff they are going to discount heavily in the future anyway with one promo or another. If you've been with Daz long enough, you've seen a lot of that stuff discounted to 80% or more. I doubt if their goal was to disappoint their customer base, or otherwise create ill feelings at Christmas. So it doesn't make sense to withhold the discount. They aren't really losing any money, and the goodwill will always translate into higher sales (law of reciprocity,) in the coming months.

But the law of reciprosity works in the negative, too. I spent about $1500-$2000 less in 2017 because of their botched advertising on Christmas Day last year, and their (unusual) refusal to honor the advertising as worded. I'm serious. For their own sake, Daz really should apply the Loyalty Rewards discount to this offer.

However, I doubt they will.

(Disclaimer: The preceding opinion is based on decades of online marketing, as well as three years as a Daz customer.)

Post edited by L'Adair on

Ya know, I'm just plain ole weary. So many glitches and uncertainty in pricing.  I'm tired of wondering if the prices are going to change- again and again- or having to REALLY figure out what section is supposed to do what.  I am appreciating Daz's attempts to TRY and give discounts and various combinations of sales. But when it doesn't work smoothly, I'd really like going back to a simplified structure where the pages aren't crammed with different offers PLUS banners that tilt the cart and it takes effort to sort out what in your cart is supposed to do what. Have you shopped, then stopped to do something, come back, and when the price changed in your cart, had to go back and find what section you got things from? Not fun. I wonder how much cart dumping has been going on. I've done it a couple times within the past week.

Not to mention the ever-present freebies screw up discount offers problem. 

edited December 2017

I did just pick up the Cowl Neck Mini Dress to use as a swimsuit cover. Got the Precious Tiger and this was in the 2015-16 section, so with the 30% loyalty, and new release discount, it was $4.48. (And the ONLY thing I'd use it for would be a coverup LOL) 

Post edited by Novica on

you know, right now I'm at the point where I'm utterly and completely weary of the whole thing. The sales get more and more complicated and they NEVER WORK for quite a while and we all sit around twiddling our thumbs waiting for fixes. I'm weary of the same ol' same ol' in the store. Rarely anything unique or different - it's the same stuff over and over. I'm weary of a new generation of base figures that quite frankly, are no different to the last line. I'm weary of the lack of quality of PC products each week - except for texture add ons for existing clothing, which are pretty much only being made by Moyra and are always excellent quality - but the clothing themselves are dreadful and look like they've been thrown together (honestly, the latest outfit? you've got to be kidding me - I thought I had somehow gone back in time ten years to V4) - I am on the verge of not renewing my subscription for that. I'm weary of "cookie cutter pretty/beautiful white young girl" after "cookie cutter..." after "cookie cutter...". 

I really really really think I need to take a massive step back and leave it all for a while. Basically log out and not come back for a while. Really feeling so weary and disenchanted with everything right now. 

Novica said:

Ya know, I'm just plain ole weary. So many glitches and uncertainty in pricing.  I'm tired of wondering if the prices are going to change- again and again- or having to REALLY figure out what section is supposed to do what.  I am appreciating Daz's attempts to TRY and give discounts and various combinations of sales. But when it doesn't work smoothly, I'd really like going back to a simplified structure where the pages aren't crammed with different offers PLUS banners that tilt the cart and it takes effort to sort out what in your cart is supposed to do what. Have you shopped, then stopped to do something, come back, and when the price changed in your cart, had to go back and find what section you got things from? Not fun. I wonder how much cart dumping has been going on. I've done it a couple times within the past week.

• shadowhawk1shadowhawk1 Posts: 2,186
    jakiblue said:

you know, right now I'm at the point where I'm utterly and completely weary of the whole thing. The sales get more and more complicated and they NEVER WORK for quite a while and we all sit around twiddling our thumbs waiting for fixes. I'm weary of the same ol' same ol' in the store. Rarely anything unique or different - it's the same stuff over and over. I'm weary of a new generation of base figures that quite frankly, are no different to the last line. I'm weary of the lack of quality of PC products each week - except for texture add ons for existing clothing, which are pretty much only being made by Moyra and are always excellent quality - but the clothing themselves are dreadful and look like they've been thrown together (honestly, the latest outfit? you've got to be kidding me - I thought I had somehow gone back in time ten years to V4) - I am on the verge of not renewing my subscription for that. I'm weary of "cookie cutter pretty/beautiful white young girl" after "cookie cutter..." after "cookie cutter...". 

I really really really think I need to take a massive step back and leave it all for a while. Basically log out and not come back for a while. Really feeling so weary and disenchanted with everything right now. 

Novica said:

Well I for one have to hand it to you ladies. You lasted far longer than I did with all of this. I buy most of my content from Rendo now or use a lot of my V4 content with G2. Now that I have recently started to use G3 I may purchase a few things from daz but I can be a lot more selective and wait for the big sales. cheeky I do appreciate all the reviews and images you do, it really helps me pick which items I want to pick up. 

• sueyasueya Posts: 826
    edited December 2017

I recently bought Wear them all autofitting clones and clothing smoothers for Genesis 3 females and used it to fit Casual 1950s outfit to Eva 7. Pleased with the results. I reckon I can use this to get a lot more use out of my Genesis and V4 outfits. 

Post edited by Chohole on
  • OdaaOdaa Posts: 1,548
    sueya said:

I recently bought Wear them all autofitting clones and clothing smoothers for Genesis 3 females and used it to fit Casual 1950s outfit to Eva 7. Pleased with the results. I reckon I can use this to get a lot more use out of my Genesis and V4 outfits. 

Wear them all is awesome. Only reason I moved to Genesis 3.

@sueya   That looks really good!  That outfit will do great with shaders, really changing up a nice casual outfit. And happy 2018 to you, love the blocks! 

I'm not on the forums much the past couple days because my sons are heading back home today so we're doing last minute things. My sister just came back into town (with my niece and sons) to spend time with Mom (they're not sick!) so getting sons to the airport then visiting with my sis.

BTW, we called Mom on the phone, it was funny because she NEVER has her patio door blinds closed, so we were able to sneak up to her door. My son had her on the phone and they were chatting (while we were smothering laughs) and then he said, "You might want to look outside your door."  She thought it was funny that we visited her through the glass doors. (Everyone has been sick, Mom is doing well, this was because we've all been congested and won't expose a 90 year old to it.)  (LOL, on CNN just now, Don Lemon just said he's on Tamiflu and is just getting over it. Everyone is sick!)  So anyway, Mom really laughed at our ingenuity. 

Gotta go, time ticking down to take them to the airport.

edited December 2017

Good News!

OK, we checked and apparently the Loyalty Discount should be applying to the items in the coupon category (and now is). My apologies for misunderstanding the rules, if you were overcharged as a result please open a support ticket.

(Wonder if they read my rant above, lol...)

Anyway, I grabbed a few things for 46¢

Skimpwear isn't really my thing, but the top on the Wilding Outfit looks like it will fit the centaur, and I think I can do something with those boots using the geometry editor. By the way, if you like the outfit, it is part of a bundle, also in the category, that's priced the same as the outfit. (I already had the other two items in the bundle...) Also, six of the eight items in Fast Grab are in the category, and those garden tools make nice filler to reach the $30 goal.

20171227-Order-105469055.png
    1178 x 1164 - 226K
    Post edited by L'Adair on

@ladair   LOL that's some impressive cart you've got there!  Next time there's a 75% sale you're going to be so spoiled you'll say, "Meh. Not 99%, not good enough." 

Novica said:

@ladair   LOL that's some impressive cart you've got there!  Next time there's a 75% sale you're going to be so spoiled you'll say, "Meh. Not 99%, not good enough." 

Next time? I'm already turning my nose up at 65%-70% in the Holiday Rewards sale. (Though I should mention, that's due in part to how fast I went through my $400 budget for December—credit I bought in September at 20% off...!)

Oh, I also picked up the Dark Ops Ready-to-Render Bundle today in the Free section, 100% off a "$228" product... LOL

• ArtAngelArtAngel Posts: 1,513
    L'Adair said:
    3Ddreamer said:

Technically, the Loyalty Rewards discount doesn't apply. That discount is only for items featured on the sales page, and this offer is separate. That said, it is not a very good PR move to not apply the extra discount to this offer. It was there, and then it wasn't. People had items in their cart at 51% off early in the day and now the discount is 30%. Now they have disappointed a bunch of their customers.

Once again, Daz has given us a generous Christmas gift, only to muck it up with a snafu. Gltch or no glitch, it is actually in their best interest now to apply the Loyalty Rewards discount to this category. It's all older content that doesn't sell frequently, and stuff they are going to discount heavily in the future anyway with one promo or another. If you've been with Daz long enough, you've seen a lot of that stuff discounted to 80% or more. I doubt if their goal was to disappoint their customer base, or otherwise create ill feelings at Christmas. So it doesn't make sense to withhold the discount. They aren't really losing any money, and the goodwill will always translate into higher sales (law of reciprocity,) in the coming months.

But the law of reciprosity works in the negative, too. I spent about $1500-$2000 less in 2017 because of their botched advertising on Christmas Day last year, and their (unusual) refusal to honor the advertising as worded. I'm serious. For their own sake, Daz really should apply the Loyalty Rewards discount to this offer.

However, I doubt they will.

(Disclaimer: The preceding opinion is based on decades of online marketing, as well as three years as a Daz customer.)

Ditto. I will be spending 12K less in 2018. Googling my next venture.

2017 Adios.JPG
    711 x 167 - 18K
  • RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,808
    edited December 2017

I've been busy with the holidays, family, and experimenting with dForce, so I haven't posted a review in some time. Here's one on Hidden Waterfall Pool, a recent PC+ product.

What attracted me to it was the fact I could see it's use as a cave. While the promos are all "open to the sky" scenes, it's interesting to discover that one of the materials and one of the props has cave in the name, so the PA was obviously thinking along similar lines. The waterfall pool loads without a ceiling, so it's easy to use Iray skies and HDRI's to supply light. I loaded a second copy of the cave prop, flipped it upside down, scaled it up to 133% and raised it so it acted like a dome on the bottom prop. If you position it in the right spot along the y-axis, you can seal off any gaps and have an enclosed space. Of course that requires a light be added, so for these Iray renders, I used one ghost light set to 900 luminance. By the way, it comes with 3DL materials as well as Iray.

Here's a view with everything loaded (cave with pool and waterfall, water foam layers, and mist layers). You'll notice right off a sharp line across the water right in front of the waterfalls. That's some of the mist, and at this viewing angle, it doesn't look good at all. (Click on the images for larger views.)

Here's the view without the mist. I like the foam and the rock formations.

The mist works fine if the viewing angle is flat and low. Here's a render from that position.

Overall, this is a nice environment at a good price. I used it as a new release to trigger discounts on a number of sale items the other day.

Cave pool with mist.jpg
    1000 x 1200 - 770K
    Cave pool wo mist.jpg
    1000 x 1200 - 706K
    Cave pool with mist low view.jpg
    1000 x 1200 - 690K
    Post edited by RGcincy on
  • RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,808

OT: Every year I put up a holiday light show synchronized to music. I posted a video of this year's show if you'd like to see it. Best to view it full screen.

• cismiccismic Posts: 629
    RGcincy said:

I've been busy with the holidays, family, and experimenting with dForce, so I haven't posted a review in some time. Here's one on Hidden Waterfall Pool, a recent PC+ product.

I agree this I've used this item as a cave several times each with something different. ​

If anyone is interested, the latest issue of Digital Art Live magazine is out.... and uh...there's an interview with me in it. LOL. Also, I may or may not have plugged this thread in it....LOL

https://issuu.com/Tosk/docs/digital_art_live_issue_25

RGcincy said:

OT: Every year I put up a holiday light show synchronized to music. I posted a video of this year's show if you'd like to see it. Best to view it full screen.

That is amazing!  I laughed out loud when your figure spoke. I don't think I've ever seen something spelled out, either. It's also amazing that arches' lights can go different directions. How long did it take you to set that up?????!!!!

jakiblue said:

If anyone is interested, the latest issue of Digital Art Live magazine is out.... and uh...there's an interview with me in it. LOL. Also, I may or may not have plugged this thread in it....LOL

https://issuu.com/Tosk/docs/digital_art_live_issue_25

Wonderful art and discussion in that article, it was nice to see such a variety of yours posted. The action shots look really fluid (am looking at the gal firing the weapon and floating, her hair really adds nicely to that effect.)  And I see RGcincy winged in there somewhere in the 20's pages (I think 20-21?)   (I'm pages 26-27)  Thanks for the mention, that was ultra sweet of you! I haven't been rendering the past two weeks though, with this stupid bronchitis and entire family sick.(And now out of town company.)   I'll start back playing shortly.

Meanwhile, those of you who got Sakura, what do you think of her and her products? (other than the eye issue, that is.) 

This discussion has been closed.