Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 10

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited December 2017

@Leana   Tisane looked like she was chock full of personality, even at 17 years old!  Love black cats.

@llynara  You REALLY made me do a double take. Okay, what's the story behind the skunk? And the cat's face is priceless!!!  Your kids are adorable!

Post edited by Novica on
  • LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770

Thanks! The skunk showed up last night to clean my frying pan. Usually that's the cat's job. Occasionally I'll catch a possom trying to grab the cat's table scraps, but the skunk was a first! He left after about a half hour. We got a kick out of watching him. Surprisingly, he did not wreak at all, but we weren't taking chances of going near him. We let him enjoy the fry pan and waited for him to lose interest and leave. 

The boys are now 4 and 7. They are my youngest. My older three are grown and gone. Oldest boy is 27. Yeah, I've been doing this a while, LOL

• BlueIreneBlueIrene Posts: 1,318
    edited December 2017

Guinness and Guzzie, posing as 'pigs in blankets' last Christmas. Sadly we lost big brown and white Guzzie (short for Guzzles, because he never stopped eating) in April when he was five years old, and I still miss him every day. He was as long as my forearm and used to 'sing' all the time (coo like a pigeon), mostly to eighties music but often to nothing at all. He was so loud that he could be heard upstairs a lot of the time. I think he had a bit of a thing about the eighties because the few times he could be guaranteed to be quiet was when glued to repeats of TV detective show 'Lovejoy' from the same era.

Little black and tan Guinness is still with us, although when I say 'little' he is only slightly smaller than his brother was and shares the same determination to rid the world of the evil salad. He doesn't sing, being far too busy dreaming up his next villainous deed and pondering all the inaccessible places we could be fishing him out of if only he hadn't got himself too fat to fit into them. He purrs like a cat during the cuddles we have each day, but once not so long ago sat on my shoulder while I was watching England v France football, saw how badly we were playing and decided to make like a python instead and wrap himself right round my neck. I'm not sure whether he was trying to hide his head in my hair to avoid the sorry sight or to strangle me to spare me the misery of watching any more :)

He lost so much weight when his brother died that the only way we could persuade him to eat was with freshly picked dandelion leaves, to which he developed an unfortunate addiction. He now insists on his daily fix, and like a mug I oblige by going out and finding it. Despite the fact that every day he also gets given hay, guinea pig nuggets, guinea pig muesli, spinach, curly kale, rocket, green beans, parsley, dill, thyme and either plum, grapes or apple. It wouldn't surprise me to find that Stetson didn't cost much more to keep than he does :)

Guinness_and_Guzzie.jpg
    789 x 539 - 257K
    Post edited by BlueIrene on

@astracadia   LOL,  Stetson and Guinness would get along just fine. And it sure sounds like Guinness is spoiled rotten. I love the sounds they make, I had a long haired one and I named her Tribble (from Trouble With Tribbles, Star Trek episode.) Next day after I got her, I had three more Tribbles!  The person I got her from didn't tell me she was pregnant, or didn't know. 

Good luck keeping up with the dandelion supply!

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,808
    edited December 2017

We've had a number of animals in our houseold but not dogs. Parakeets, hamsters, rabbit, turtles (Russian, box, and red-eared), a stray cat we adopted and a neighbor's cat who adopted us. But we now have five grand-dogs. Riley, our youngest daughter's white siberian husky who we see the most, and who has spent weeks visiting us while we dogsit; our sons 3 dogs we see on our trips out west: two corgis and what was suppose to be a mixed Austrailan cattle dog (heeler)/corgi but is most likely a heeler mixed with something else; and our oldest daughter's dog, a mixed boxer-black lab that we hardly ever see even though she lives in town, as she gets so excited when she sees up she pees all over the place (and not a little).

One of our daily Riley snapchats:

Tigger, 13 years old, and Lenny and Jojo:

Our stray cat Sugar and her friend Dusty:

One of the innumerable Scoobies (hamsters live 2 years so our daughter had many):

Riley.PNG
    750 x 1334 - 2M
    Tigger.JPG
    1410 x 1168 - 248K
    Lenny and Jojo.JPG
    674 x 538 - 85K
    Sugar.jpg
    1509 x 1446 - 517K
    Dusty.JPG
    4000 x 3000 - 2M
    Scooby.jpg
    2288 x 1712 - 541K
    Post edited by RGcincy on

Riley is impressive, I don't think I've ever seen a white siberian husky. Very pretty!  Corgis always amuse me with the shorter legs, but somehow they still are regal and another one of the royal familys' choices for aristocratic pets. What pretty ears on the sitting dog- assume that's Jojo?

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,808

Yes, that's Jojo.

Our son and his wife go hiking and mountain climbing a lot and they've taken the corgis with them. It's funny to see how fast they move with those short little legs. If it's snowy, you see ears sticking out as they bulldoze their way through it. 

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,742
    Novica said:

Dibbs left leg definitely bows out, and he may have trouble with it when he gets older. That doesn't make him a throw-away dog, but apparently his owners thought so. Dibbs was pulled TWELVE MINUTES before the scheduled euthanasia at the shelter, by the rescue group. Dibbs runs and plays as fast as any dog I've ever had, probably moreso. 

Adopt, Don't Shop!  :) 

Yes! Agree 100%! I'm so happy I was able to give my kitties life. It's unbelievable to me that killing these beautiful animals is actually legal! 

Our town is actually now doing the trap, spay, release with volunteers who agree to feed the colony! Finally! It's a big step for the city council to approve that. It helps that they know the folks who are volunteers, and who are very trustworthy.  The cats help with the rodent population.

• Novica said:

Our town is actually now doing the trap, spay, release with volunteers who agree to feed the colony! Finally! It's a big step for the city council to approve that. It helps that they know the folks who are volunteers, and who are very trustworthy.  The cats help with the rodent population.

This is wonderful! Glad your community came together to pitch in!

• firewardenfirewarden Posts: 1,456

So many beautiful pets! So many wonderful stories! Much joy received just reading through and admiring the pictures. Happiness in a thread!

edited December 2017

Yeah, well having a SKUNK casually show up got me to laugh out loud! That wasn't quite what I imagined when I thought of people posting their critters!  (I could show you the huge rattlesnake from the barn owner's garage, but I'm not sure where the image is that she sent me.)  

Post edited by Novica on
  • ArtAngelArtAngel Posts: 1,514
    edited December 2017

Some people drink six packs ... we pet them. Three rescues and three yorkies. 

P2140111.JPG
    1106 x 622 - 339K
    _PC290072.JPG
    3072 x 2304 - 1M
    IMG00005-20100609-1133.jpg
    1536 x 2048 - 523K
    PA251344.JPG
    3216 x 4288 - 3M
    Post edited by ArtAngel on
    edited December 2017

@artangel   So cute! Love the different colors and variety.  In the first image, the dog second from our right looks like he is pondering something important... like

a. Do I really HAVE to have my picture taken?
    b. You won't forget the treat you promised me if I posed, will you?
    c. I have to go. REALLY. 

Post edited by Novica on

@artangel   So cute! Love the different colors and variety.  In the first image, the dog second from our right looks like he is pondering something important... like

Novica said:

a. Do I really HAVE to have my picture taken?
    b. You won't forget the treat you promised me if I posed, will you?
    c. I have to go. REALLY. 

lol. spot on! My favorite dog was Maxx a pittbull. My son found him beaten and abandoned and the grandkids loved him and wrestled him for toys.

xmaxx.jpg
    1984 x 1488 - 601K
    xmaxx2.JPG
    4288 x 3216 - 3M

. . . and then there are the cats and the birds. A rescued a humming bird and the list grows into 3 digits.

hummingbirdandme.JPG
    3216 x 4288 - 3M
    xhawk.JPG
    3008 x 2000 - 3M

This is what started my journey with birds. The cats made mince meat out of this guys family but I managed to save him. For a while he lived in coffee filters on top of my overheating power base for my laptop. At six months old I made him a makeshift cage and eventually set him free but he wouldn't leave. I had to climb a tree to save him for the second time but slowly (long story) unimprinted him.

xspike1.JPG
    2560 x 1920 - 2M
    xspike2.JPG
    2560 x 1920 - 1M
    edited December 2017

The cats were feral. Trapped them and bought them to get spayed. Seven years later I'm still alergic to cats but they think they own our back yard ... and they do gaurd the aviary with a close eye. Sometimes when it's cold we bring them in the garage or let them hang out in the dog parlor.

xcats2010.JPG
    4288 x 3216 - 3M
    xcat2017.jpg
    5312 x 2988 - 4M
    xcat3.jpg
    1275 x 717 - 268K
    Post edited by ArtAngel on
  • NathNath Posts: 2,719

Late to the party, but here are my two owners: Lidy and Pixel, both six years old, and always willing to help with household chores.

P3310001.JPG
    800 x 600 - 148K
    edited December 2017

@nath   You're not late, we're doing this all this week. :)  I see your cats do what my cats do, only mine only do it on FRESH CLEAN laundry. No matter where I put it down (to go off and find hangers) whenever I come back, they're on it. 

@artangel   Love the baby hummer! We keep our feeders out a long time (it's a myth that it causes hummers to hang around too long)  and I'm glad you bring the cats in when it gets cold/give them someplace indoors like the garage.  I had to laugh at your sign about Polly. (second image, wall)  Tuxedo cats are awesome!

Oh, and Maxx is awesome! One big cuddle dude.

Post edited by Novica on
  • kloolessklooless Posts: 115

This is Smokeyboy doing the the thing he loved most, napping. He was about 3/4 Main Coon and the rest Tabby. He weighed about 14 pounds at his max. Sadly we lost him to a stroke the end of October so it's still painful. We have 2 kitties still in the house, one a pure black female and the other a little gray tabby kitten. I don't have pictures of them yet. I'll have to get busy and take some.  Seeing everyones pics is uplifting and bittersweet.  Thanks for sharing.

smokeybox.JPG
    615 x 461 - 45K
    smokey2.JPG
    615 x 461 - 52K

@klooless   Oh, Smokeyboy was mellow, wasn't he? Keeper Of The Box. You can buy beds, special pillows, special blankets...but give a cat a box and they're happy! So sorry for your loss but happy you got to share your home with Smokeyboy for however long you did.  He was gorgeous! Love the Maine Coon ear tufts, so exotic looking. Reminds me of lynxs.

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191
    edited December 2017

I love seeing everyone's furbabies! We have such a variety of animals among all of us. I thought I'd share my furbabies.

I have two dogs who are brother and sister from the same littler. The mother was a Siberian Husky and the father was a Rottweiler. That pregnancy was an accident between a couple of playmates and a lack of communication between dog owners as to who was fixed and who wasn't.

I love their face masks. They are both around 12 years old now. We got them from the as puppies when they were about 3 months old. At the time, my boys were really young and they named the dogs. Biscuit and Bingo were the only dog names they knew and insisted using those names for the dogs. So, Bingo is a girl and Biscuit is a boy.

Bingo

Biscuit

And, this is Callie. She was my dad's cat and strictly an indoor cat. No one knew what to do with her when he passed. There was talk about catching her and taking her to a shelter because she was quite wild. My dad didn't exactly socialize her very well. I decided to catch her and take her home with me to NY where we were living at the time. She wasn't amused about the long car ride. It took a few years of constant socialization, but she is almost a different cat now and very affectionate. She loves my oldest son and seems to think he belongs to her.

Callie

Callie.jpg
    689 x 919 - 95K
    Biscuit.jpg
    644 x 858 - 122K
    Bingo.jpg
    644 x 858 - 208K
    Post edited by Knittingmommy on

@knittingmommy   The Husky Rottweiler mix is interesting. You know how people say they have a cockapoo, a labradoodle, etc? Let's see, you therefore have a set of Husweilers. Or, Rottuskies.  Whatever they are, you can see the muscularity of the Rott bodies and the cool facies of the Huskies. And pretty even as they age!  The names are funny too. When my kids as youngsters named animals, we always had Mario and Yoshi LOL. Guinea Pigs, cockatiels, hamsters... all Mario and Yoshi. 

So glad you took time with the cat, your dad would obviously be very, very pleased. (I can just hear the hours of meowling in the car!)  I also have a primarily white calico, love those coats! Mine is Tikki, name is Tequila for the gold splotches in her coat.

@llynara  You know I HAVE to ask- did the skunk come back for their vittles tonight?

• Novica said:

@knittingmommy   The Husky Rottweiler mix is interesting. You know how people say they have a cockapoo, a labradoodle, etc? Let's see, you therefore have a set of Husweilers. Or, Rottuskies.  Whatever they are, you can see the muscularity of the Rott bodies and the cool facies of the Huskies. And pretty even as they age!  The names are funny too. When my kids as youngsters named animals, we always had Mario and Yoshi LOL. Guinea Pigs, cockatiels, hamsters... all Mario and Yoshi. 

So glad you took time with the cat, your dad would obviously be very, very pleased. (I can just hear the hours of meowling in the car!)  I also have a primarily white calico, love those coats! Mine is Tikki, name is Tequila for the gold splotches in her coat.

Hah! If we had adopted any new animals in the last few years, I'm sure at least one of them would have ended up with either Mario or Yoshi. Mario is big at our house. The boys have all of the games and play them constantly. As for the meowling in the car, yeah, it was almost nonstop for hours. She was not happy. I forgot to mention that she bullies our two dogs mercilously at times. She definitely lets them know who is the boss. 

The dogs do have very cool face markings. They have aged well. I'm not sure I would get huskies mixes again though. The howling drives me up the wall at times. We live near a fire department and every time the sirens go off, the dogs start howling.

I love that name Tikki for Tequila. That's very cool. I've had a lot of calicos in my time. They always seem like the best cats.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

More great pet pictures and stories!  Love seeing these.

So sorry for the loss of Smoeyboy, always so hard to lose our babies.

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,045

Trying out some new purchases.

2017-12-22 20:38:41.795 Total Rendering Time: 4 hours 44 minutes 1.93 seconds

Epic Props: Godrays & Volumetric Light for Iray (https://www.daz3d.com/epic-props-godrays-volumetric-light-for-iray)

Iray Machina Materials for Genesis 3 Female (https://www.daz3d.com/iray-machina-materials-for-genesis-3-female)

edited December 2017

Okay, been holding off on shopping but a lot of great things coming into the 2015/16 featured area, and the 2017 section too. Don't blame me if you don't get them  devil

Want to point out Elena Hair isn't just a hairband on hair product. It has a knit cap, and you can easily switch back and forth. It's in the 2015  2016 featured section so with any new release (and 30% loyalty) the price goes to  $6.99    Also grabbing the Tyrant Lizard King T Rex.  $6.15  ANY PRICES YOU SEE LISTED HERE ASSUME A NEW RELEASE (any new release) and a 30% Loyalty is applied.

A couple days ago I picked up the Mucho Flow Outfit for $5.53 (and it's still there in that section)   because it'd be great for playing tennis, or kitbashing that top with other things like pants/jeans. Love that you get a bag with it. Take a look at the list of colors/material zones and everything that is included, EJ always does a bang-up job with details. 

I'm also noticing Mountain Valley is in the sale, both RGcincy and I featured that, I gave you a drive around the town. Start with this post and keep scrolling. Done September 2016.  GREAT set. People didn't realize how many streets there were/ shops. I even did a map for you.

I'm going to get the Ultra Detailed Displacement Maps (but no, won't be rendering anytime soon. Went to the doctor today (remember I told you Monday I was sick) and I never quite got over that viral bacterial asthmatic bronchitis and severe sinus infection which is due to I am SURE all the dog dust brought in. Dibbs and Duvee tackle each other in the long section of DIRT from where the 40 foot bamboo trees blocked the sunlight. You may recall I had those cut down in August (going over into neighbor's yard) but it's too late this year to plant sod. So dogs go and joyfully tumble around in solid dirt and then shake it off inside. 

So I am not rendering anything a little complex (such as testing HD), if I render it will just be simple for right now. Trying to just rest up a bit.  Here's a gallery image you should see using the Ultra Detailed Displacement Maps,  and another oneHave any of you tried it?  It's only $4.19 with the 30% Loyalty and a new release.

Wow, took a peek at the Single Man Light Aircraft. That last thumbnail promo is really neat!  $6.99 and in the cart.

Okay, one that snuck past me was the Damaged Corridor Construction Kit.  Again, naming the product is key. I assumed it was a damaged corridor. Nope, the "just dandy and no problems" corridor IS ALSO INCLUDED. So are Iray lights, and both Iray and 3DL materials. Hope on this one, 3DL users!    $8.38

For the new release, I used Clear and Frosted Glass Iray Shaders by the ever hard-working Jen. She sure does a lot to help the PC+ folks! 

Hint: if you want to see something rendered on this thread, IN GOOGLE type in Novica  (then) Daz (then) Product Name  and it usually comes up in the top six or seven results (or sooner.) 

So feel free to tell us what you're scouting out, or what you recommend (I finally remember to uncheck Hide What I Own) to see if we had showcased anything which may help you, and that's how I spotted the Mountain Valley.) Your previous renders may help someone with a buying decision, so feel free to link the ones from your own threads or from previous posts here. Happy shopping!  (BTW Fast Grab is empty for me, without any number of products showing at all, like 2 out of 5, etc. Nothing's there.)

Post edited by Novica on
    edited December 2017

In case you want an idea of that cart, the

T Rex
    Elena Hair
    Clear and Frosted Glass Shaders  (the new qualifying item to drop the prices)
    Sleep Away Camp, ($9.43)
    Ultra Detailed Displacement Maps
    Single Man Light Aircraft
    Damaged Corridor Construction Kit   

came to overall 71% off

$153.65 - 108.73 for a total of $44.92

So all those for under $45.00 or only $6 plus change each.

Post edited by Novica on
This discussion has been closed.