Daz to Maya question

Comments

• drzapdrzap Posts: 795
    edited January 2018
    drzap said:
    drzap said:

This plug in is a complete joke.. really. I bought it and downloaded it today. 

Managed to get the DAZTOMAYA window up in maya. Clicked Auto import and guess what.. NOTHING. (Nothing to import Error). Yes I have click the 3DtoAll button in DAZ.

I have spent several hours on trying get this piece of junk to work,  then finaly failing at the last hurdle.

Why wont it work correctly??? 

Can you load stuff manually, rather than from some temp folder.

Do you see some files in your C:\3dtemp folder?

There is no 3dTemp folder?? just did a search

OK, that probably means the script is not working on the DAZ side.  When you executed the DAZ script, did you see any activity?

No nothing happens at all.

If nothing is happening on the DAZ side, then perhaps it isn't installed properly.  Or maybe check your fbx export options.  Or maybe you have to select your figure first.  I don't recall ever having this problem.

Post edited by drzap on

I've never had your exact problem, but I remember the first time I used the DAZ script, it wasn't exporting the morphs.  When I troubleshooted this with the developer, he found my fbx export rules weren't correct.  So it seems the DAZ script doesn't change your fbx settings.  Whatever they are, it will use them.  This means you have to manually set them yourself.  If this is the issue, it's not a difficult matter.

• paulgpaulg Posts: 1
    edited February 2018

Hey guys anyone knows the name of the base character used in this photo

Post edited by Chohole on
  • tdpubstdpubs Posts: 11

This is why I come to the forums before ripping my remaining hair from my head. I got the plug in and got it to work. After my annual PC cleaning, I forgot how I installed the plugin. It wouldn't show up in Maya 2017 or 2018! You guys rock when it comes to teaching me a thing or two about a thing or two. Much appreciation and thanks.

• tdpubstdpubs Posts: 11

This is why I come to the forums before ripping my remaining hair from my head. I got the plug in and got it to work. After my annual PC cleaning, I forgot how I installed the plugin. It wouldn't show up in Maya 2017 or 2018! You guys rock when it comes to teaching me a thing or two about a thing or two. Much appreciation and thanks.

johnbp said:
    johnbp said:

In the video it shows facial rigging being used in the Maya Shape Editor.  I can not seem to follow the steps (it is a VERY fast video) to get this option in the Shape Editor.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

So after:

- installing the plugin

- making sure plugin was enabled in maya (windows / setting preferances / plugin manager / daztomaya.py - tick on loaded.

- modelling tab - top menu - 3DtoAll - >> import from Daz Studio - click and enter serial from daz3d (found under serials in your account)

- Load model in daz studio > top menu - scripts > 3Dtoall > DaztoMaya

- In Maya - DaztoMaya window ( modelling tab - top menu - 3DtoAll - >> import from Daz Studio) click auto import and . . .

Success. Sort of. The model came in fine with the rig and textures and poses no problem with Human Ik. However there are no Blend shapes in the shape editor, like in the totally useless video from the producer (if you can even tell that the face controls should be in the shape editor (maya > windows > animation editors > shape editor), due to the speed of the video.

On further investigation it appears that which morphs are brought from Daz to Maya is controlled by the FBX export options from Daz. So .

- In Daz Studio with a model loaded choose file > export > pick fbx and a file name > save to get the options up.

There is a list of morphs for each model in the scene and what you need to do is create an export rule for the ones you want. Click Edit Morph Export Rules.

Here I have added a rule for head.eCTRL and set this to export. I've also added one for anything starting with OBMG3F and set it to bake because without this (in my case, with this model) Maya keep running out of memory and crashing (possibly worth exporting to FBX once). Once your rules are set up use the DaztoMaya script again.

- top menu - scripts > 3Dtoall > DaztoMaya

- In Maya - DaztoMaya window ( modelling tab - top menu - 3DtoAll - >> import from Daz Studio) click auto import

It's fiddly and you want to set up rules to only include the morphs you need - have a good look through the morph names in the FBX export options. Trying to export everything will crash maya unless you have a massively powerful system.

Peresumably not mentioned in the manual because it would damage the 2 click off you go claim. 

Hope this is helpful to someon.

That was my problem!  Now to figure out how to just get the ones I want and not 150 others that I don't.    :)

Thanks!

The development team needs to hire you.

• paulg said:

Hey guys anyone knows the name of the base character used in this photo

He's one of Mec4D's characters - I don't think Cath ever sold him specifically. The promo pic is from her Unshaven 2 https://www.daz3d.com/mec4d-unshaven-2-for-genesis-2-male-s

• Fixme12 said:

If animation was taken more seriously inside studio, then we even didn't need to export to maya or any other soft.
    ok daz is free and maya high end soft, but seriously a workable IK and good editable graph/timeline would be a huge start do start all inside studio.
    place keyframes (edit or delete or insert) in time and easy move forward or backward, repose them in time without killing your work of animation.
    'm still looking to akeytsu, if there was something for this on daz future road....
    Animationtool more in the range of the hobbyist 3d users...

Hi Fixme12 - I'm interested in the highlighted bit of your post. Does this mean you're able to export Genesis out of Daz, animate in Akeytsu, and then take the animation back into Daz?

• Anyone having this problem... I've exported a Daz3D character with hair.... Everything seem to work fine but the hair renderes wrongly...rendered it with both Arnold n Vray. I used both hair material n standard material. Still nothing.
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited February 2018

how's the victoria 8 morph looking in the other softwares?

tysmiley

i'm having trouble with some of the nailbed verts not responding to the
    fbm morphs from vicki 8 to sakura 8.
    effects 3 of her toes.  

g8m works fine, but he may have not received the new nailbed topology

Post edited by Mistara on
  • I recently exported a scene from Daz3D to Maya, and am having difficulty getting the hair to render correctly inside Maya. The textures all load, and they even look correct in the viewport, but when I actually render it, the hair turns translucent. I’ve looked at the transparency settings, and as far as I can tell, everything seem fine. so I don’t know why the hair is turning thin and translucent. Am I missing something obvious?
    b93107190b0b9adfb1e4beb53ba536.jpg
    171 x 128 - 3K
    edited February 2018
    I recently exported a scene from Daz3D to Maya, and am having difficulty getting the hair to render correctly inside Maya. The textures all load, and they even look correct in the viewport, but when I actually render it, the hair turns translucent. I’ve looked at the transparency settings, and as far as I can tell, everything seem fine. so I don’t know why the hair is turning thin and translucent. Am I missing something obvious?

I'm not a big fan of Daz's hair, but I have had success rendering in Arnold using Arnold shaders.  I have not had success with any other renderer.  Now, I just make my own hair with nHair or PaintFX.

Post edited by drzap on
  • joseftjoseft Posts: 310

your hair example picture is a bit small to see correctly, but the first thing i would check is if the transmaps on the hair loaded correctly. Compare the transmaps in each surface group on the hair in Daz, and make sure it matches in the corresponding shaders in Maya

the next thing to try, is the gamma setting on the node with the transmap in Maya. I had a similar problem using Octane, where the hair transparency didnt look right. And the solution was overriding the gamma on the image in octane. 

• drzap said:

I've never had your exact problem, but I remember the first time I used the DAZ script, it wasn't exporting the morphs.  When I troubleshooted this with the developer, he found my fbx export rules weren't correct.  So it seems the DAZ script doesn't change your fbx settings.  Whatever they are, it will use them.  This means you have to manually set them yourself.  If this is the issue, it's not a difficult matter.

I have some issues, no morphs and problem with hairs.
    Can you share your FXB rules please?

edited February 2018
    drzap said:

I have some issues, no morphs and problem with hairs.
    Can you share your FXB rules please?

This will give you head expression morphs and JCM's, (while ignoring Ivan morphs).  You can edit your rules for your situation.   It won't solve any hair issues.  That is a shading problem and you will have to learn more about how to prepare materials for the renderer you are using.  Neither will this configuration bring in all the maps you need for your figure.  You will have to do that manually ( YourContent / Runtime / Textures...)

Screenshot (56).png
    856 x 843 - 210K
    Post edited by drzap on
  • joseft said:

your hair example picture is a bit small to see correctly, but the first thing i would check is if the transmaps on the hair loaded correctly. Compare the transmaps in each surface group on the hair in Daz, and make sure it matches in the corresponding shaders in Maya

the next thing to try, is the gamma setting on the node with the transmap in Maya. I had a similar problem using Octane, where the hair transparency didnt look right. And the solution was overriding the gamma on the image in octane. 

Thanks mate. That just did it. And then I went all out using the Arnold hair shaders. It seem to work fine though but I noticed some little white stripes on the hair that just mess things up.
  • Figured it out.... I can't use Arnold hair shader on a mesh.
  •  

drzap said:

Ive been looking allover the net trying to find a maya script or tool that lets me build a higher quality rig for imported genesis 3 models (while using genesis skeleton with mesh weighted).   Ive been studying genesis import to maya for months so that I can quickly create custom characters that I can use in maya (I use fbx export and custom script for texture conversion to redshift materials).  The problem is that the HIK rig which I use with daz template (I can rig a daz model with hik in seconds) has many limitations because hik is not animator friendly.  hik is mainly used for mocap retargeting.  so hik doesnt have many of the basic rig functionality such as foot controllers (reverse foot features, ball roll, toe roll, pivots, banks, etc) and hand controllers (working on a script to automate a hand control setup).   Im trying to do the same as you.. rig a genesis character using its  skeleton n weights and also use hik for mocap.  I havent found any rigging tools or scrips that allows me to use a premade skeleton for creating rigs.  they all create joints for their rigs which has to be positioned and weight painted after skinning, which I am trying to avoid.  Another reason why I am trying to use daz for character generation is because of clothing conforming feature in daz.  I can export daz models to marvelous designer and then create clothing, then import it to daz and corform it, then export as fbx to maya and the clothing fits and deforms really well, way better than wrap deforming in maya.   I can create lots of variations of clothed characters very fast this way (using daz clothing as well).   Only problem is the HIK rig, which is okay for mocap, but not so good for hand animation.    Also twist forarm bone is not automatically set to rotate in HIK.   Im going to try to make a script to make the forearm joint rotate when rotating the wrist.

kandori07 said:

I did notice some deformation not showing properly when bending limbs in extreme poses with daz hik models..  and if Jcm import can help, I would  love to try using them with sdk as corrective morphs. 

there is a script for making a good rig with mixamo models, and thats precisely what I am looking for daz imported models.   If anyone knows a way to create high quality rigs using daz skeleton, please let me know... I am studying rigging so that I can make a script to make one myself, but its not going to be easy.  Also working on autofacerig for daz.

Why not just copy the skin weights, use the rigging script of your choice to rig the DAZ skeleton and re-import the skin weights afterward?  This way you can use any rigging system you want and retain the DAZ weights.

Haha man I wish it were that simple, Maya's "copy skin weights" is very useless, especially if you're trying to copy skin weights between a different rigging system. If you or anyone knows a way to workaround that problem, let me know. I personally believe that many professional animators would fall in love with Daz3D's content if their was a way to seamlessly copy the skin weights to a different rigging system. I've purchased many creatures and animals on Daz and I'm eager to animate them using the Rapid Rig: Modular

• Has anyone seen this!!! https://www.daz3d.com/paleo#p=4 Apparently, FBX & Maya native files.
    edited February 2018

Haha man I wish it were that simple, Maya's "copy skin weights" is very useless, especially if you're trying to copy skin weights between a different rigging system. If you or anyone knows a way to workaround that problem, let me know. I personally believe that many professional animators would fall in love with Daz3D's content if their was a way to seamlessly copy the skin weights to a different rigging system. I've purchased many creatures and animals on Daz and I'm eager to animate them using the Rapid Rig: Modular

http://www.braverabbit.com/transferskincluster/ .  You might also want to try export/import skin weights instead of copy skin weights.  It uses a different process.

Post edited by drzap on
  • drzap said:

http://www.braverabbit.com/transferskincluster/ .  You might also want to try export/import skin weights instead of copy skin weights.  It uses a different process.

Wow! much appreciated, I'll test this out asap. You seem to be pretty experience with Maya as a whole, not even my animation mentors had a solution for my struggles regarding the Daz character's. Thank you

edited February 2018
    drzap said:

not even my animation mentors had a solution for my struggles regarding the Daz character's. Thank you

LOL, Daz characters in Maya is about all I have experience in.  I am new to Maya, but I hope my advice was helpful to your situation.  

Post edited by drzap on
  • gavincroutgavincrout Posts: 28
    edited February 2018
    drzap said:
    drzap said:

not even my animation mentors had a solution for my struggles regarding the Daz character's. Thank you

LOL, Daz characters in Maya is about all I have experience in.  I am new to Maya, but I hope my advice was helpful to your situation.  

I have 2 questions. Is there a way to keep the facial joints while unbinding the original Daz Joints? It's not mandatory since I'm mainly going to animate via facial blendshapes but as you know, it's always pleasant to have both the blendshapes and joints at your disposal. Last question is about the facial controls for the blendshapes; Say I finish making my facial morph controls for my Daz Rig, could I quickly duplicate the controls and transfer it to another Daz Rig with the same facial morphs? 

Post edited by gavincrout on
  • gavincroutgavincrout Posts: 28
    edited February 2018

Once I figure out a method of placing a custom rig on a Daz Character and tweaking it's materials for a realistic look (using the VraySkinMt), I'll make a youtube tutorial for the Daz Community ASAP. Here's my channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCehGjt00LFEsk2fy4dnaPVQ  I'll also try to create a script/plugin that's actually worthwhile for animators, the only thing I appreciate from the "DazToMaya" is the ability to QUICKLY transfer a mass amount of Daz character's via FBX for the Goleam Crowd plugin or for Mocap. The Human IK system is NOT the way to go for keyframe animations because it lacks the foot and finger attributes, squash and stretch, etc. In theory, it's very very possible to create wonderful animations with the HIK system but it'll definitely take 5x longer to get the results that you're looking for without the custom controls and attributes. 

Another thing that's missing from the "DazToMaya" plugin is the ability export ALL the textures and plug them into the CORRECT Vray Shader. I'm surprised Daz didn't make a plugin themselves, they put so much effort in the muscle system and the Morphs but they ignore the animation. I guess they only target still frame renders, but I imagine the Community getting bigger if they decided to make a solid plugin for Maya. I appreciate the previous comments in this thread, it never crossed my mind to export the JCM and OBJ and applying them as morphs on the FBX character 

Post edited by gavincrout on
  • That's excellent news Gavin, thanks! I've subscribed, and looking forward to seeing what you come up with

edited February 2018
    drzap said:
    drzap said:
    I have 2 questions. Is there a way to keep the facial joints while unbinding the original Daz Joints? It's not mandatory since I'm mainly going to animate via facial blendshapes but as you know, it's always pleasant to have both the blendshapes and joints at your disposal. Last question is about the facial controls for the blendshapes; Say I finish making my facial morph controls for my Daz Rig, could I quickly duplicate the controls and transfer it to another Daz Rig with the same facial morphs? 

I'm not understanding your first question.  The facial joints are part of the original Daz joints.  If you are talking about my facial rig for G3 characters, those joints are the Daz joints.  I just put controls on them.  So if you unbind the figure, those joints will also be unbound.  Your second question is a very good one.  I can't answer it right now because it is something I am also trying to do.  For now, I just use the same rig for all my characters.  For example, if I set up a facial rig for G3 MeiLin,  when I want to animate another G3F figure, I just apply a blendshape to MeiLin and she becomes the new character.  But I gave you that link to the BraveRabbit website.  They have a wonderful plugin for Maya called SHAPES.  It allows you to transfer blendshape nodes between characters easily.  It is free for non-commercial use, you should check it out.  There are some amazing tools there for blendshape work.  I'm not sure how compatible it is with Advanced Skeleton.  I also once tried to make a custom rig with Advanced Skeleton, but I found it was too rigid and wouldn't play with some other tools I needed to use so I abandoned that idea.  It's good to see someone else giving it a try.

You're absolutely right about HIK being insufficient for keyframe animation work.  I recently bought this rig on Turbosquid so I can get some experience with a real rig.  I don't plan on doing a lot of keyframe, but I believe I should understand it and master it because even if I am doing a mocap film, I won't be able to get away from keyframing.  Every animator should know how.  Anyways, I can use this rig for all my characters, if I want, by using the method I described above:  retopologize the Daz character to the rig's mesh and apply it as a blendshape.  This is how the game studios do it.  All their characters have the same topology, so no need to bother with making a bunch of rigs and painting all those skinweights.  Just morph a new character directly on the rig. 

I will be following your Youtube channel and waiting to see what you do.  We can learn from each other.  I have a Deviant Art page that I just use for my own personal notes.  Right now, I just post character renders and dossiers, but you can check in to see how I am progressing.  Soon, I will be rendering my first animation.  I am officially an animatorcool.   Keep us posted and good luck.

Post edited by drzap on
  • drzap said:
    drzap said:
    drzap said:

I'm not understanding your first question.  The facial joints are part of the original Daz joints.  If you are talking about my facial rig for G3 characters, those joints are the Daz joints.  I just put controls on them.  So if you unbind the figure, those joints will also be unbound.  Your second question is a very good one.  I can't answer it right now because it is something I am also trying to do.  For now, I just use the same rig for all my characters.  For example, if I set up a facial rig for G3 MeiLin,  when I want to animate another G3F figure, I just apply a blendshape to MeiLin and she becomes the new character.  But I gave you that link to the BraveRabbit website.  They have a wonderful plugin for Maya called SHAPES.  It allows you to transfer blendshape nodes between characters easily.  It is free for non-commercial use, you should check it out.  There are some amazing tools there for blendshape work.  I'm not sure how compatible it is with Advanced Skeleton.  I also once tried to make a custom rig with Advanced Skeleton, but I found it was too rigid and wouldn't play with some other tools I needed to use so I abandoned that idea.  It's good to see someone else giving it a try.

You're absolutely right about HIK being insufficient for keyframe animation work.  I recently bought this rig on Turbosquid so I can get some experience with a real rig.  I don't plan on doing a lot of keyframe, but I believe I should understand it and master it because even if I am doing a mocap film, I won't be able to get away from keyframing.  Every animator should know how.  Anyways, I can use this rig for all my characters, if I want, by using the method I described above:  retopologize the Daz character to the rig's mesh and apply it as a blendshape.  This is how the game studios do it.  All their characters have the same topology, so no need to bother with making a bunch of rigs and painting all those skinweights.  Just morph a new character directly on the rig. 

I will be following your Youtube channel and waiting to see what you do.  We can learn from each other.  I have a Deviant Art page that I just use for my own personal notes.  Right now, I just post character renders and dossiers, but you can check in to see how I am progressing.  Soon, I will be rendering my first animation.  I am officially an animatorcool.   Keep us posted and good luck.

Haha, my apologies if my questions don't make sense. I'm new to Animation and I haven't gotten a chance to study the rigging and modeling process. I started studying 3D art after I graduated High School in 2017 and attended "CG Spectrum". I only have Animation Mentors but I'll soon demand a rigging/scripting mentor so I can attempt to create a DazToMaya Plugin for the community. AND WOW!!! I never thought about utilizing blendshapes like that, your honestly changing the way I approach my goals dude surprise So basically, all I have to do is make ONE custom Daz Rig and I can apply a blendshape and/or blendshape nodes using "SHAPES"? That's IMPECCABLE! Now that I think about it, there's really no need to make a script, I'll just make a custom rig (using the original Genesis 3 base model) and share it with the Daz3D Community. Only downside is that everyone needs to pay for the "SHAPES" plugin but it's definitely worth the cost. 

Thanks man, you're really inspiring! I'll definitely follow your Deviant Art page. It's really cool to see someone with a similar goal as mine, I plan on making short films using the Daz Models as well. I also attended UNLV for Film so I can learn every aspect like Directing, Lighting, Compositing, Storyboarding etc. As far as rendering goes, I plan on using UE4. You might be thinking "Unreal Engine is only made for games", which is true, but after beta testing this new plugin called "DataSmith" (which converts a Vray Scene and Materials to Unreal Engine's materials system), I'm convinced that UE4 will eventually be a Gold Mine for people making short films. 

Also, are you using XGen to create your hair? Since I already purchased a lot of Daz's hair products, I tried to figure out the best way to convert the Daz Hair to guides and came across this video https://vimeo.com/162001880   Using Ornatrix, you can make/use mesh strips and convert them into Ornatrix hair, which can also be converted into guides. I love Ornatrix because it's artist-friendly. What I usually do is either align mesh strips to my DazHair, or align curves to my DazHair and convert them into guides.

Thanks again man, very glad I stumbled upon this thread.

• drzap said:
    drzap said:
    drzap said:

Haha, my apologies if my questions don't make sense. I'm new to Animation and I haven't gotten a chance to study the rigging and modeling process. I started studying 3D art after I graduated High School in 2017 and attended "CG Spectrum". I only have Animation Mentors but I'll soon demand a rigging/scripting mentor so I can attempt to create a DazToMaya Plugin for the community. AND WOW!!! I never thought about utilizing blendshapes like that, your honestly changing the way I approach my goals dude surprise So basically, all I have to do is make ONE custom Daz Rig and I can apply a blendshape and/or blendshape nodes using "SHAPES"? That's IMPECCABLE! Now that I think about it, there's really no need to make a script, I'll just make a custom rig (using the original Genesis 3 base model) and share it with the Daz3D Community. Only downside is that everyone needs to pay for the "SHAPES" plugin but it's definitely worth the cost. 

Thanks man, you're really inspiring! I'll definitely follow your Deviant Art page. It's really cool to see someone with a similar goal as mine, I plan on making short films using the Daz Models as well. I also attended UNLV for Film so I can learn every aspect like Directing, Lighting, Compositing, Storyboarding etc. As far as rendering goes, I plan on using UE4. You might be thinking "Unreal Engine is only made for games", which is true, but after beta testing this new plugin called "DataSmith" (which converts a Vray Scene and Materials to Unreal Engine's materials system), I'm convinced that UE4 will eventually be a Gold Mine for people making short films. 

Also, are you using XGen to create your hair? Since I already purchased a lot of Daz's hair products, I tried to figure out the best way to convert the Daz Hair to guides and came across this video https://vimeo.com/162001880   Using Ornatrix, you can make/use mesh strips and convert them into Ornatrix hair, which can also be converted into guides. I love Ornatrix because it's artist-friendly. What I usually do is either align mesh strips to my DazHair, or align curves to my DazHair and convert them into guides.

Thanks again man, very glad I stumbled upon this thread.

You can try this: http://thundercloud-studio.com/product/gmh2
  • drzap said:
    drzap said:
    drzap said:

Wow! Thanks for the tips. Well speaking of Advanced skeleton.... I've been using it for quite some time. Its my goto rigging plugin. It's sometimes frustrating to get used to at least it's the best free rigs out there and way better than Maya's HIK. Honestly I've always wanted to animate Daz3D cool models. And Coming from 3ds max background animation wasn't quite ideal for max, I had to switch to Maya last year since I wanted to have full control of my rig and HIK wasn't an option. I had to build everything from scratch, believe me when I say.... It's been a long road. Learning a lot of new things along the way. I just wish there was a seemless transition.
    edited February 2018

I'm afraid you'll find there is not much of an animation community here.  There are a handful of artists who are patient (or crazy) enough to animate in Daz Studio and a few more who use other software like Blender, 3dsMax or C4D and very few Maya users.  There are quite a few who use Daz figures for games, though.  I think UE4 is a great environment for moviemaking.  Realtime rendering has come a long way.  In the beginning (last year) I was seriously considering using Unity because of their great camera system they are developing, but in the end it came down to the Daz figures.  It just wasn't easy enough to get the same visual fidelity in other software as in DS.  When DaztoMaya came out, I made the leap to Maya and slowly I developed the skills to make Daz figures look the same as they do in DS.  You probably can do the same in UE4 because I have seen V-ray's latest skin shader and, frankly, it rivals or even tops Arnold in that respect.  Many animation studios are looking at Unity and UE as serious animation platforms now.  As far as that Ornatrix video, yeah, I saw it before.  It's impressive but I'm already invested in a hair system and I don't want to start again.  It's a good thing you are studying filmmaking.  So many animators learn how to make figures move, but they forget about storytelling.  I think storytelling should come first and second and third.  Learning about camera shots, lighting and plot development are essential if you are planning to make your own film, instead of working for a studio.

I have some suggestions about your rig.   1.  Make two rigs, one for female and one for the male.  The topology is slightly different between them.  2.  Try to stick with one generation of figures.  Genesis 3 is probably your best bet because it has a face rig and it is more mature than Genesis 8.    Their topologies are different so you can't morph between them so if you decide to use multiple generations, you will have to make multiple rigs and blendshapes for them.  That means more work for you.  G3 is very solid and there isn't very much that G8 has to offer over it in Maya.  I learned this the hard way.  I started out with G2 figures because they have been easier to deal with for animators in the past for many reasons.  I even paid a rigger a fortune to rig up the face for G2M and G2F figures.   When I discovered Genesis 3 face rigging, I jumped to G3 and built my first Maya face rig because I feel G3 characters are generally more realistic.  In hindsight, I don't regret the extra expenditures because I learned so much, but time was wasted and G3 figures better suit my purpose.  Finally, these resources may help you as you develop your own rig and way of working:

http://www.scottenglert.com/seuvblendshape/  This is another remarkable blendshape system developed by Scott Englert.  As my skills develop, I want to implement it into my workflow.  My goal is to cross the uncanny valley and this system is designed just for that purpose.  The best thing is that it is free.  <EDIT... I just checked, it's now priced at $20>  You may not be ready for such a sophisticated system yet (I'm not) but you should keep it on your radar if you plan to animate in Maya.  

https://sites.google.com/site/mayariggingwiki/rigging-notes/facial-rigging/more-face-rigging-systems#TOC-Lip-Rigging  This webpage is a compilation of great advice from the Masters for riggers planning to create a face rig.  There is a goldmine of information on different techniques and strategies.

https://www.highend3d.com/  Your mentor has probably already told you about this website, but I can't overstate how valuable it will be for you.  If there is a script that can make our lives easier in Maya, it is probably here. and many times free of charge.  I have a ton of scripts I have downloaded from here over the past half year.

http://www.soup-dev.com/index.html    I can't compile a tool list for Maya without including the famous Soup tools.  It's a small monthly subscription but well worth the money.  There is nothing better than Soup.  A must have.

http://lesterbanks.com/   Finally, there is this guy's blog.  I love him.  It is my number one source for new plugins, tutorials, and techniques in the Maya world.

There is, of course, a lot more, but I have already written enough to put a ton of single framers to sleep and after all, this is a Daz Studio forum so the moderator police might not be so happy about it.  But I am happy to be of help, even if I am also a newbie like you.  I am also excited to be able to use DAZ3D technology in Maya and I feel a lot more is coming for animators.  Many people hesitate to consider Maya because of the costs and learning curve, but I don't understand their logic:

• Daz Studio is free software.  But Maya can also be used for free (non commercially) 
    • It's really a bear to animate in Daz Studio.   A Maya user has world class tools at their disposal and learning to use it is no more difficult than other 3D software.
    • When one is ready to produce their work commercially, they can simply include the subscription price of the software in their fee.  A working animator should never have to let cost be a barrier to producing their best work.  Working in Daz Studio professionally is actually costing them more money than using professional software.
    • There are now clear indications that Daz3D is working to make it easier to use their assets in other 3D software like Maya.  There is really no excuse now for a serious animator to be working in DS (unless they really like DS).

Anyways, I hope we can help each other in the future.  I'm really interested in what you do in Unreal.  One man moviemaker is a lonely life.  Feel free to send me a PM if you have any questions.

Post edited by drzap on

"Wow! Thanks for the tips. Well speaking of Advanced skeleton.... I've been using it for quite some time. Its my goto rigging plugin. It's sometimes frustrating to get used to at least it's the best free rigs out there and way better than Maya's HIK. Honestly I've always wanted to animate Daz3D cool models. And Coming from 3ds max background animation wasn't quite ideal for max, I had to switch to Maya last year since I wanted to have full control of my rig and HIK wasn't an option. I had to build everything from scratch, believe me when I say.... It's been a long road. Learning a lot of new things along the way. I just wish there was a seemless transition."              

Yeah, Advanced Skeleton is great.  I just wasn't ready for it when I discovered it.  I was looking for a face rig script and Advance Skeleton's couldn't be used without the AS body rig.  Good to meet another guy enduring the Maya struggle.  It's never a smooth transition.  Keep your head up.