Daz to Maya question

Comments

• Paradigm said:

I'll give that a shot, thanks.

Just to knowledge check:

Export a figure and disable morphs. Then use the daz to maya script, which will use the previous export options?

Edit:

That did not work, the .mb is still the exact same size. 4.9GB. .ma is still ~10GB.

Steps I followed:

1. Loaded up my intended character. 
    2. Exported it as an fbx with morphs turned OFF
    3. In the same Daz session I run the DazToMaya Script (also tried a new session when this didn't change my results)
    4. Open a new Maya scene
    5. Import from Daz
    6. Auto-Import, scale .1(small)
    7. Save with textures as .mb
    8. Identical result. Looks like either exporting an FBX with mophs disabled does not work or it's not a morph issue.

Oh, look in the Outliner Window tab and delete all of the morphs. You'll still keep your blendshape nodes, so don't worry about losing them. Also, I'm not trying to throw shade at the owner of this plugin, but this plugin lacks a lot of important steps. Drzap and I don't use this plugin anymore and we managed to progress a lot with the Daz To Maya pipeline. A regular FBX export is just as good, and you can find the HIK character definition on my YouTube video's description http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwMaAjhz-K8  As far as exporting props or if you need to quickly export A LOT of characters for crowd simulation, I definitely recommend this plugin because no one has the time to manually tweak 100s of character materials in Vray. If you want your Vray renders to look identical (or better) than your Iray renders in Daz Studio, this plugin isn't for you because it doesn't export all of the textures, and even if it did, it doesn't utilize the VraySkinMlt (Or Arnorld/Redshift SkinMlt) which is essential depending on how realistic you want your character to look. If you guys want me to make a tutorial regarding the Daz To Maya integration, let me know and I'll make it ASAP depending on what it is

• olumhensesolumhenses Posts: 18

Has anyone tried useing Mixamo mocap with HIK? Cos ive tried retargetting the mocap to the HIK but it still wont me a vaid charaterization. 

• drzapdrzap Posts: 795
    edited May 2018

Has anyone tried useing Mixamo mocap with HIK? Cos ive tried retargetting the mocap to the HIK but it still wont me a vaid charaterization. 

Yes, I have done this too many times to count.  Genesis and G2 figures perform flawlessly.  G3 is hit or miss, but all of them characterize is HIK just fine.  One tip that may help you is not to export the mesh from the Maximo site.  It makes an unnecessarily large file and sometimes causes problems on the other end.  Just export the joints.  Otherwise, the characterization is very straightforward, the same as any other mocap.

Post edited by drzap on
  • LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770

This. 

NSFW said:

FYI.. It's fairly easy to qualify for a 3-year free student license for Maya 2016. I got one last year simply by emailing them and telling them I was learning animation on my own with online tutorials, and they had no problem granting it. I actually stopped messing with it though, as I do all my animation in DS now, but my license is still good until Feb 2019.

I'm working in IT in the education field and was able to get a free 3 year license for the Autodesk products. I have no clue what I'm doing in them, totally new to Maya, 3DSMax, etc.  

I did manage to import G8F into Maya 2018, but the view is screwy. I need to look at some basic tutorials to figure out where everything is, but the plugin does work. The figure, clothes and hair imported, along with way too many morphs (I'll read back through the tips here.) 

• musashi13musashi13 Posts: 44
    edited July 2018

Maya doesn't load the plugin anymore, and if I try to load it in plugin manager I get error:

pluginWin.mel line 290: (DazToMaya)

what should I do?

Post edited by musashi13 on

Here is a screenshot

• rilerriler Posts: 15

Hi.

There is problem that I have, and it's the eyelash blendshape. I think it can be fixed inside of daz but I don't know how.

Everything works perfectly fine with this plugin, but when I export , it have 2 blendshape folders. So if I use it for the head, the eyelashes don't follow.

What can I do? Help if you can.

Thanks

• Can someone help me? just bought this and installed. i hit the "Scripts/3DtoAll/DazToMaya" and nothing happens. i can see in the video the window for converting an export should show up, but nothing at all happens. i've tried unistalling and reinstalling, but nothing. very frustrating. don't know if its relevant, but the icon for the button is different. on the video the icon looks like the Daz logo. for me, the icon looks like the "export" button with an 'M' on it. any ideas?

• davegvdavegv Posts: 164
    edited July 2018

Hope somebody can help me with this:

I have the plugin installed and can export a character from daz with DazToMaya and import it in Maya2018. However I got two problems:

- When I open HumanIK no character is defined

- I read through this thread and want to export the JCMs. So I added pJCM export to my Morph Export rules and activated "Maya Helper Scripts". So when I do a normal export from DAZ and import it in Maya I get all the JCMs and with the mel script I can import the constraints/relationships. If I use DAZ to Maya, it doesn't respect the export options I set in the previous manual export. It only exports the gead morphs and that's it. There also no JCM relationsships described in the mel file in DazToMayas temp directory.

Am I missing a step here?

I have this same problem has anybody found a solution. If I use DAZ to Maya, it doesn't respect the export options I set in the previous manual export. 

It totally ignore's the pJCM rule. Thanx

As a test, I replaced and renamed the FBX I manually exported from daz with the pJCM rule intact into the Temp directory used by DaztoMaya and renamed the mel as well and then ran the DaztoMaya script inside Maya and it appears to have imported all the pJCM's. But this workaround does not answer my basic question...

Post edited by davegv on
  • Just a quick one.... You can use Advanced skeleton to build a perfect custom controls for any Daz3D character in Maya. It's just a button or two. it's that easy.
  • SunnydaysSunnydays Posts: 14
    edited August 2018
    Just a quick one.... You can use Advanced skeleton to build a perfect custom controls for any Daz3D character in Maya. It's just a button or two. it's that easy.

How to do it? So far I've only seen really long and difficult workflow, where you fit custom bones in Daz figure and then fix weights.

Like here: 

Is it possible to use original Daz bones and weights for Advanced skeleton somehow?

Post edited by Sunnydays on
  • drzapdrzap Posts: 795
    edited August 2018
    Sunnydays said:
    Just a quick one.... You can use Advanced skeleton to build a perfect custom controls for any Daz3D character in Maya. It's just a button or two. it's that easy.

How to do it? So far I've only seen really long and difficult workflow, where you fit custom bones in Daz figure and then fix weights.

Like here: 

Is it possible to use original Daz bones and weights for Advanced skeleton somehow?

Yes. send me a PM for more info.
    Post edited by drzap on
  • Sunnydays said:

Like here: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gC-cWVyyd98&feature=youtu.be           Just made a quick tutorial, hope this helps

edited September 2018

Good

Post edited by musashi13 on
  • Hello, 

I hope this is a simple fix but I am not able to animate my "daz to maya" conversions in Maya with the rig is centered in the X-Axis, but the mesh is on the Y-Axis.  Oddly the HumanIk foot controls for the feet work but not the rest of the joints.  Please let me know if someone knows what i must do to get it back working again.  Please see the attachment.  I'm not sure if its a setting in Daz or in Maya, but the mesh was bound to the rig, but not know on any model.  Please advise and than you in advance.  

Brandon.

G8.png
    1892 x 936 - 166K
  • Hello. Can you help me? I imported my character, but he has not Facial riggs. Other elements works normal. What i need to to to import facial riggs to ? Thanks 

• Hi there!

// Error: file: C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2019/scripts/others/pluginWin.mel line 1211: Object 'PluginInfoWin|windowLyt' not found. // 

I'm getting this error on Maya 2019. Any idea to solve?

Thanks!

• Anyone have problems with the rig half-ass working? The lower half will work fine with the Control Curves, but the upper body won't move, at all. Ironically, the rig works fine if you transfer a motion file in motion builder.

• gi81gi81 Posts: 1

I'm about to return this because I've exhausted all the online tutorials and threads I can find.

I just bought this product and my understanding is that in Maya, when I click the Daz to Maya Import button I'm supposed to get a pop-up. No such thing ever occurs. I export from Daz, it runs through a script and has a status bar as it converts the items. It finishes, I go to Maya, hit the Import daz to maya button, and nothing happens. I've done everything I can think of including scoping the script for errors. Nothing.

Any final suggestions are appreciated before I send this back to the Daz store. Thanks.

• gi81 said:

I'm about to return this because I've exhausted all the online tutorials and threads I can find.

I just bought this product and my understanding is that in Maya, when I click the Daz to Maya Import button I'm supposed to get a pop-up. No such thing ever occurs. I export from Daz, it runs through a script and has a status bar as it converts the items. It finishes, I go to Maya, hit the Import daz to maya button, and nothing happens. I've done everything I can think of including scoping the script for errors. Nothing.

Any final suggestions are appreciated before I send this back to the Daz store. Thanks.

Have the same issue. I brought it for maya 2017, worked flowless. Switching to 2019 when i hit Import daz to maya button nothing happens.

• DrGonzo62DrGonzo62 Posts: 221
    edited June 2019

Sounds like the Dev has abandoned that product.
    Too many problems with it I imagine. Without animation support, it was pretty much useless for me anyway.
    I can just pop a DS figure into Motionbuilder, animate it there and bring it back into DS for rendering.

Edit:
    Or if it would have been possible to export a DS figure with a pose other than the T-Pose into Maya to finish posing it there using the far superior Maya IK rig, that would have made this addon worth while. That way you wouldn't have had to start posing from scratch in Maya, but could have used the extensive DS pose asset library.

Post edited by DrGonzo62 on
  • QantatQantat Posts: 5
    gi81 said:

Have the same issue. I brought it for maya 2017, worked flowless. Switching to 2019 when i hit Import daz to maya button nothing happens.

It still works for Maya 2018 from what I can see, so theoretically, all you would have to do is:

1. Use the script in Maya 2018

2. Save the models in a maya supported format

3. Use them in Maya 2019. 

There maybe some extra work involved as new features are added, but in the end, your stuff should be imported.  

• I have just installed Daz2Maya script and it seems working in Daz exporting.

In Maya, I saw -3DtoAll- . 

But noting happened when you run it.

Is there something I missed? 

And where can I find serial number?

I am using Maya 2019.

thank you!

• Seems pretty shameful lack of curation that DS is still selling this if it doesnt work in the latest version of Maya. The very least they should do is post a disclaimer on the product page saying what versions of Maya the script works in. I know that people could probably get a refund but its $30 which is a lot for a product that doesn't even work anymore. 

• Thundorn said:

Seems pretty shameful lack of curation that DS is still selling this if it doesnt work in the latest version of Maya. The very least they should do is post a disclaimer on the product page saying what versions of Maya the script works in. I know that people could probably get a refund but its $30 which is a lot for a product that doesn't even work anymore. 

As far as I know that is an assumption, not a confirmed fact. It may be, if it is correct, that Daz is unaware of the situation - if you have the script and can confirm the issue you could open a suport ticket, suggesting that if Daz cannot find a fix and the PA cannot provide one they add a note to the product page (making the suggestion in the forum, or without being certain of the facts, is unlikely to be productive). The same is true for anyone who has the script and finds it will not run in the latest version of Maya.

• I got this earlier this year and it worked fine, I had to contact the guy and he sent me some script that made it work, but I didn't get a Maya subscription. I just got an udemy course for black Friday and signed my dad up for Maya so I could really delve into it before buying the indie license, tried importing Kaneda last night and it didn't work, nothing happened but it sat there forever then said Maya ran out of memory. Tried again this morning and it tried loading the character for an hour, it say at 28% for a good 40 minutes, so I cancelled it and it said on the bottom there was an error reading a certain line in the script. I'm going to try again later when I get home and if it doesn't work I'll contact the PA again and let you know! I'd love to get this to work!
  • videoninja719videoninja719 Posts: 343
    edited January 2020

Hello. I am interested to purchase this wonderful plugin. i see they provide a link to a script for those using maya 2019 at their website.

My question will we see upgrades for Maya 2019 and Maya 2020. How is the programe working so far with the script for those who tested? thanks in advance for any feedback 

Post edited by videoninja719 on
  • Room101StudiosRoom101Studios Posts: 20
    edited February 2020

Hello. I am interested to purchase this wonderful plugin. i see they provide a link to a script for those using maya 2019 at their website.

My question will we see upgrades for Maya 2019 and Maya 2020. How is the programe working so far with the script for those who tested? thanks in advance for any feedback 

I updated from 2017 to 2019 last year, for work. It no longer works after 2018, apparently. I've emailed the developer in the hopes he'll update it.

The script, itself, was awesome, when I could use it. I imported M3 up to G8 without any problems.

Post edited by Room101Studios on
  • Hello. I am interested to purchase this wonderful plugin. i see they provide a link to a script for those using maya 2019 at their website.

I updated from 2017 to 2019 last year, for work. It no longer works after 2018, apparently. I've emailed the developer in the hopes he'll update it.

The script, itself, was awesome, when I could use it. I imported M3 up to G8 without any problems.

did you try the update for Maya 2019 from there website http://www.3dtoall.com/daztomaya-update/ ?