New Product Library! Replaces Itemized/Downloadables Has Product Pages and Search!

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,576
    edited December 1969

...:long:

...have to start the post with something else as a simple "thank you" is considered a "dirty phrase" according to Magento.

...yeah, some "upgrade".

Thank you.

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

I found an item that has a DIM file, but that DIM file has never shown up in the actual DIM. Is this just a part of the normal process, ie, the DIM file is created then there's another check off step before the DIM itself sees it? Or is this something that needs a bug report?

I haven't checked my entire list yet, but the other products I have that don't show up in DIM do not have DIM files available in the Product Library either.

The item is The Forgotten Refuge (by Nikkelah Ghaz)
    sku in store 12853.

I downloaded the file ( IM00012853-01_TheForgottenRefuge ) and peeked inside. It looks copacetic with a manifest file but has no runtime/support files (metadata) but not everything does anyway.

edited December 1969

...this is beginning to sound like it wasn't tested thoroughly. Since the previous format was built in Magento, they should roll back to it until the DIM is out of beta and this library setup is tested to death before re-releasing it again.

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...this is beginning to sound like it wasn't tested thoroughly. Since the previous format was built in Magento, they should roll back to it until the DIM is out of beta and this library setup is tested to death before re-releasing it again.

That's a little harsh I think. As someone who IS using the DIM I certainly find it satisfactory for 95% of what I need and the new Product Library only adds value. Kinks are kinks and things fall through in any system. If we waited for 100% on anything we'd never make progress at all.

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

Novica said:
    .. I REALLY want... the total number...

This small item is actually significant as it lets people easily identify that nothing has happened to their downloadable items. If this number drops for some reason one wants to be able to notice it right away and address the situation immediately. Without that number, it would be easy for things to drop off the list and go unnoticed for an extended period of time, complicating matters.

• HaruchaiHaruchai Posts: 1,884
    edited April 2013

Novica said:
    So to make this clear- I download the DIM file, and if one says DIM CF I get that too as it has extras in it (for DAZ, not Poser)
    And one more question- does the DIM file have the metadata or do I get the metadata file?

And I dont get any other files, no exe's needed. (zips are macs, knew that already.)
    Thanks in advance- once I get this straight I can help others when I see it posted in the future. I KNOW brand new newbies are going to have questions! (because we do!)

Hi, just caught up the with the thread and didn't see this answered, apologies for duplication if it was.

If you only use DAZ Studio then you only need to download the file with the DIM symbol next to it. The only exception to this is if there is a StudioCF file with the same name. Get that as well.

The DIM files are zip files with all content in, even metadata (if it was produced).

Happy installing :)

Post edited by Haruchai on
  • HaruchaiHaruchai Posts: 1,884
    edited December 1969

I'm not seeing a massive difference in size between the DIM zips and the installers of the products.

Typically, so far, I'm seeing a decrease in file size of at least 4mb per file. Not that large per individual file, I agree, but if you replace 100 exe files with zips that's a 400mb saving on hard drive space for exactly the same (possibly updated) content.

I have over 7000 files so you can bet that I will be redownloading all my files over a period of time.

Another benefit of zips is that I had an exe that insisted on giving a false positive in my virus checker and no matter what I did I couldn't get a copy onto my hard drive, now I can download it, hurray.

edited April 2013

It just occurred to me that the not wanting to download items that are current will probably resolve itself in that most of my library is current, and exe's in their raw format. (I save both the most current raw file downloaded and my sorted/renamed version.) This means that a lot of it I will want to redownload to switch to the zip files for the raw backups.

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
    edited April 2013

Haruchai said:
    Typically, so far, I'm seeing a decrease in file size of at least 4mb per file.

If you rezipped them with 7z, you would see another 10% (rough aprox., mileage varies on files) decrease in file size on average. ;)

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
    edited April 2013

Spit said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

That's a little harsh I think. As someone who IS using the DIM I certainly find it satisfactory for 95% of what I need and the new Product Library only adds value. Kinks are kinks and things fall through in any system. If we waited for 100% on anything we'd never make progress at all.
    ...it's just that it appears things are continually being rushed into rollout before they seem to be fully tested. Studio 3Advanced, the first release of Studio 4.0, and most recently, the site upgrade. Yes (regarding the website) I would expect there to be bumps in the road the first couple weeks or so, but, when they keep resurfacing six, eight, eleven months later (and begin to make long time customers community members consider leaving out of frustration) then it says to me it wasn't thought out very well.

Years ago I used to work in multimedia development. We literally "beat our software into the ground" before releasing it so that the customer would have a product that was as bug free as possible. Our tech support usually dealt with questions regarding installation and implementation rather than being inundated with bug reports and complaints. We were a small company, maybe a dozen+ employees total which at the time was on the leading edge of multimedia and search engine (then CD ROM based) development. Yes there were cool new project ideas we had, but first we needed to make sure what we were already producing was as trouble free as as it could be for that is what we staked our reputation on. If a new update for something was in the works, we let our customers know in advance instead of just implementing it without notice.

...and that was in the days when the telephone, Post, and this thing called the usenet were the main forms of communication.

So it can be done. I can understand the urge to make something "newer, better, cooler looking than the competition". However, one must also take care the foundation it is all built on is stable enough to withstand a "good shaking".

Before I left that company, a new owner came in and began to do exactly what Daz is doing now. They ignored what we had built our reputation on, where our focus was, and reached once too often for that "brass ring". A little over a year after I left, the company went under during an era when it should have experienced growth and stability had they stuck to what we did best and listened to those who had been there since the beginning.

Aside from all that, I just wish I could get the DIM to work, but an apparent bug in the installer keeps corrupting my username, which I am unable to correct and seemingly, nobody else has experienced. I filed a support ticket about this.

-----

...oh and BTW the Cloudflare bug is back again as it didn't take my revision on submitting but returned me to the edit reply form.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Re - the number of items ... there IS a way.
    Quoting from here:
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/2403/P285/#302496

Taozen said:
    Kerya said:
    I loved the History Manager and still miss Daz not giving me the number of items in "My Product Library".

The number is in the page source:

"totalRecords":3490

That is however the number of single products, including the number of single products in bundles. So it's different from the number the old download page and History Manager showed, which was the number of purchased items (bundles as well as single items both counted for 1 item here).

Correction: it looks like the bundles are included in the number as well, so a bundle counts for the number of included items plus 1 (the bundle itself).

So, dear Daz, could you please add the total Records, with an explanation of the bundles, to our Product Library page?
    I really would prefer not to have to hit ctrl + u and then ctrl + f all the time ...

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945
    edited December 1969

Having in the past muttered and, occasionally posted, grumbles about the ongoing site implementation and improvements, software development, etc., etc., I feel I have to say I rather like the Product Library - so hats off and kudos to those involved with its roll-out! :)

• CzexanaCzexana Posts: 167
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    Re - the number of items ... there IS a way.
    Quoting from here:
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/2403/P285/#302496

Taozen said:
    Kerya said:
    I loved the History Manager and still miss Daz not giving me the number of items in "My Product Library".

The number is in the page source:

"totalRecords":3490

That is however the number of single products, including the number of single products in bundles. So it's different from the number the old download page and History Manager showed, which was the number of purchased items (bundles as well as single items both counted for 1 item here).

Correction: it looks like the bundles are included in the number as well, so a bundle counts for the number of included items plus 1 (the bundle itself).

So, dear Daz, could you please add the total Records, with an explanation of the bundles, to our Product Library page?
    I really would prefer not to have to hit ctrl + u and then ctrl + f all the time ...

Good grief! did you look at the rest of the line the 'totalRecords' number is on? it's the list of all the items Daz think you have. In SKU order. In one line. Mine's 2671081 characters long.

Do you think they're trying to force a buffer overflow? ;-) :lol:

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005
    edited December 1969

I don't want to start a new thread for what might be a minor glitch, but I just thought since there are three threads rolling around about this new feature I'd like to say...

1- Looks great and its a great idea!

2-It aint working!

Seriously. All I can view is the first page. None of the buttons or search/filter options work... But if I know a product's SKU# I can type it in for the page address and then access it... great if you have memorized all your product SKUs... not so much if you haven't.

Just wondering if I'm the only one with this problem since i don't see an angry mob with torches and pitchforks yet... (at DAZ- there is one out side my house now, but thats about something else...).

Not a big deal at the moment since all I was doing is checking out this new feature which I just heard about.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited April 2013

All I can view is the first page. None of the buttons or search/filter options work...

You've tried the page-change buttons right at the bottom of the list? Might be a browser glitch, or a javascript glitch; which browser do you use?

(Hint to DAZ — why are the filter/sort buttons at the top and the page buttons at the bottom? Wouldn't it be better to have both at top and bottom?)

Post edited by SpottedKitty on
  • namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,063
    edited December 1969

I just ran a quick test - with javascript disabled when selecting product library you get a warning that javascript is required AND nothing loads in the product list.

• ghost13ghost13 Posts: 19
    edited December 1969

what a PITA, but i figured it out on my own, before i knew to look at how / what changes were made here in the forums
    really liked the the available downloads page better, was used to it
    don't use the auto-installer from the web page because all my programs are on a separate partition
    oh well, i'll get used to this now i guess

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,863
    edited December 1969

The DAZ Install Manager can install to a location, or locations, of your choice.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited April 2013

Even if you don't use the Daz Install Manager - if you prefer zips to exes the new format is great!
    And the file sizes are smaller ...

Meaning: you can now download those zips with the name "DIM" - you don't have to use DIM to download/install them. It is just a new name.

Post edited by Kerya on
  • estheresther Posts: 608
    edited December 1969

this is how it looks for me on my mac. ONly search by name or date, not by vendor. I got an email for a vendor saying a product had been updated but I searched and could not find it.
    Is this how it is supposed to work?

Screen_Shot_2013-04-17_at_12.18_.09_AM_.png
    514 x 696 - 77K
    edited December 1969

Just updating what I've found...
    It appears to be a Safari issue... which is (for me) the most current for my OS... I tried FireFox, it showed the bug too, but when I updated to the newest version for my OS, The problem went away.
    So in FireFox I can click on the buttons, and even though I did not yet try out the search/filter- it appears to function now.
    Javascript is/was enabled in Safari... My Mac is older and I don't expect this issue to be much of a problem for anyone else really, I was just curious if it was a glitch or just me...
    Yeah... Just me.

Still it is a good feature and the promo image is really helpful if you have no idea what the item's name relates to... very nice that it also shows you if it was part of a bundle... now hopefully I'll remember to use FireFox if I want to DL something.

Thanks for the suggestions.

• ZetharaZethara Posts: 67
    edited December 1969

None of the buttons on the Product Library page work for me at all in Firefox 20. I can click the links of the products listed on the first page, but I can't reorder, sort, search, or go to another page. I opened it in Chrome and everything works fine, but I'd rather not have to go to another browser to download purchases.

Other than that issue, after the initial confusion of trying to figure out where my recent downloads had gone, it does seem like an improvement on the last one. I just hope it will start working in my firefox version.

• WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited December 1969

I'm using Firefox 20 and I have no problems with the new Page.

edited December 1969

esther said:
    this is how it looks for me on my mac. ONly search by name or date, not by vendor. I got an email for a vendor saying a product had been updated but I searched and could not find it.
    Is this how it is supposed to work?

I too only have "Name" and "Purchase Date" as options (I did not know Vendor was an option)...
    I checked the "Filter" search... which really should be called "Search" not "Filter"... thats confusing, but other sites do that too... I typed in V4 and hit "Filter" and it found everything I had for V4 (or at least I think it did)... I typed in Mammoth, hit "Filter" and it found the "Columbian Mammoth"... so I think its working for me.
    If you are on an older version of Mac OS and using Safari, try FireFox... maybe that might work for you.

But as I said before- for me this only works in FireFox.

• ZetharaZethara Posts: 67
    edited December 1969

I cleared recent history, cache and cookies and now it works fine with my Firefox 20.0.1 :D YAY!

• meghanmeghan Posts: 79
    edited December 1969

The code Daz is using seems to require a lot of history/cache clearing on Firefox 20.0.1. When I first tried the Product Library today nothing worked but the links, and of course only the first page. I cleared history and now it works. These kinds of site pages are really annoying.

edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    Even if you don't use the Daz Install Manager - if you prefer zips to exes the new format is great!
    And the file sizes are smaller ...

...not necessarily. Discovered I missed a component for Jack's Guild Hall 2012. When I looked it up, both the the Zip and DIM files were just as large as the .exes.
    edited December 1969

I really hate people like me, but I'm using Firefox 20.0.1, allow automatic updates for it, haven't cleared history in well over a year, NEVER clear cookies, and clear cache only occasionally because I only allow a small amount of space for it so cache overwrites itself frequently, and have had no problems with this page.

My 2 cents on the trifecta of history, cookies, and cache is that only cache really matters.

• WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited December 1969

Spit said:
    I really hate people like me, but I'm using Firefox 20.0.1, allow automatic updates for it, haven't cleared history in well over a year, NEVER clear cookies, and clear cache only occasionally because I only allow a small amount of space for it so cache overwrites itself frequently, and have had no problems with this page.

My 2 cents on the trifecta of history, cookies, and cache is that only cache really matters.

I'm the same Spit:-)

• estheresther Posts: 608
    edited December 1969

aha - fortunately it was not a daz product. I would never have found it!