Enhanced Hair Shaders for iRay for Any Hair and Any Generation [Commercial]

Comments

• EcVh0EcVh0 Posts: 535
    edited July 2017
    jakiblue said:

whoa! not only does the hair look fantastic, so does the whole image! awesome! 

EcVh0 said:

Phil! I'm totally going to use your shader in my promos, it's the only thing I was missing to make my shaders feel alive! wink

Thank you very much! Been working on my pale shader for awhile now Hopefully soon we will finally have a decent pale skin on the shelf XD

Post edited by EcVh0 on
    PhilW said:

Haha! I just commented in your product thread (before seeing this) and in addition to saying the skin looked good, I thought the hair looked great - without knowing (although perhaps I suspected) that Hair Lustre had been used!

Haha! I was wondering if you knew when I see you comment XD so didn't give it away but hey! this hair lustre is exactly what I need :D

I was thinking about making a hair shader long time ago but never managed to get as good as you :D

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

Thank you, very kind.

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,690
    EcVh0 said:

Phil! I'm totally going to use your shader in my promos, it's the only thing I was missing to make my shaders feel alive! wink

Good googity woogity, that's what I'm talkin' 'bout!

xyer0 said:
    EcVh0 said:

Good googity woogity, that's what I'm talkin' 'bout!

laughyes

• FenixPhoenixFenixPhoenix Posts: 3,026
    edited July 2017
    PhilW said:

Any halo is probably due to either the Bloom filter in iRay or post-processing. I can't see any way that the product itself could cause a halo effect.

I didn't use the bloom filter for mine or post-processig (save for adding the scar). I did use a ghost light behind the window to push the light. That and distant lights rather than a light set. Perhaps that's why it look so sharp and gives the halo thing? Regardless, I really like the resulting effect.

Here's how I set the light in case someone's interested:

Sideview hiding the wall:

Post edited by FenixPhoenix on
    EcVh0 said:

This looks amazing!

EcVh0 said:

This looks amazing!

Thank you very much!! In case you guys are wondering, this is done under one HDRI from one of the Octane HDRI map I stashed years ago and one front plane light laugh

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,313

I'm a bit confused by this product, I applied it to a hair and all it seemed to do was change the translucency colour and strength - is this how it is suppose to work?

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,157
    scorpio said:

I'm a bit confused by this product, I applied it to a hair and all it seemed to do was change the translucency colour and strength - is this how it is suppose to work?

That was my observation, too. I don't think that is ALL it does, but that is the main thing. It is not really a new shader, it is shader presets for Iray Uber shader. But the results are generally pleasing.
    barbult said:
    scorpio said:

That was my observation, too. I don't think that is ALL it does, but that is the main thing. It is not really a new shader, it is shader presets for Iray Uber shader. But the results are generally pleasing.

No its not a shader not sure I'd call it a preset either as all it appears to do is alter 1 setting, I expected it to at least contain some textures if I want to use a hair that has burn't in highlights I still need to find a new texture for it before using this, settings I can fiddle with myself. I'd really like to know what else it is doing, my tests aren't really giving that great a result.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,889

Well, the store page doesn't say it replaces textures...

edited July 2017

The store page refers to the product as a shaders - it is not. so the store page is misleading in that quarter, I expected a bit more than just a preset that changes one setting, I thought I might be doing something wrong. 

Post edited by scorpio on

I find this product pairs nicely with UHT2; UHT2 redoes the basic texture, while the resut of Hair Lustre is a lot smoother/softer/real looking (IMO)

UHT2 hair, then UHT2 hair with Hair Lustre applied.

Alfredhairtest1.jpg
    1334 x 2160 - 787K
    Alfredhairtest2.jpg
    1334 x 2160 - 816K
    scorpio said:

The store page refers to the product as a shaders - it is not. so the store page is misleading in that quarter, I expected a bit more than just a preset that changes one setting, I thought I might be doing something wrong.

Daz has a long standing and ongoing failure to properly differentiate between "shader" and "shader preset". You will find this issue in the store description of products, in Content Library folder nomenclature, and in metadata categorization. If you are disappointed with what you got vs. what was advertised, you can return the product for a refund within 30 days of purchase. Be sure to tell them why you are unhappy with it.

The product does contain a few JPEG texture files that get plugged into the translucency color for some of the presets.

• sextinosextino Posts: 37
    edited July 2017

So...I put this together in a hurry before going out.  I was going to try and use the hair shaders in a more normal indoor situation to see how it turned out because I do a lot of dim lit, indoor stuff.  I used dark hair because I figured it would be challenging.  Nevermind that this girls sandals ate her poor toes off... or that her hand is digging into her brain.  I didn't realize till I got back home and it had finished rendering.  Either way, it turned out pretty good but these shaders do a much better job of hiding hair problems in extream lighting conditions than in a situation like this one.  I like this product, it's just one more option in my arsanal to try and squeeze every last bit of realism out IRAY.  Of course none of that matters if I don't take my time to set up the basics properly.

9.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    Post edited by sextino on
    edited July 2017

Okay, so I went ahead and did several renders to compare the results using: the original textures, UHT & HSL.

First Set:

• I used Jonathan Hair for G3M. The hair only has one surface texture, so I couldn't play with the transparency all that much. Additionally, since this hair has original Iray textures, I rendered that out as well to better compare. Also, I forgot to add it to the graphic, but I'm using med shine with HSL.

Thoughts:

• Might be because this hair only has one texture, but I prefer UHT's result for this one. I like the way the hair shines. Though I could've probably tried out the highest shine for HSL, but I wanted to keep it in the middle for both (med shine).
    • Perhaps if I can find a way to get something between HSL 80-100 (93-ish), the result could look good.
    • The only difference I notice between transferring from the original straight into HSL compared to Original > UHT > HSL, is that the hair looks slightly darker. But the difference is too subtle to make much difference.

• Edit: Went ahead and render highest shine for HSL/Strenght 80% to compare with the UHT result I prefer (Shine2, no transp).
    • Thoughts: I still like the way the light bounces off of UHT's shaders. Overall the hair looks sharper.

Second Set:

• I used North Hair for G2. The hair only has three surface texture: base, Hair1 & Hair2 (H2). So I played a little with the transparency on H2.Since this hair doesn't have Iray textures, I didn't render the original textures and jumped straight to UHT.
    • I messed up the last graphic's text. H2 has HSL60. I'm thinking going with HSL80 on that mix might've yielded better results.

Thoughts:

• For this one I preferr HSL 80, Med shine. I feel like it looks more natural to me.
    • However, I'm  still craving having a result between HSL80 & HSL 100.

• Edit: Went ahead and render HSL100 with H280 to compare with the mix HSL.
    • Thoughts: As predicted, this looks much better!

ExS-JonathanHair.jpg
    2048 x 2464 - 3M
    ExS-NorthHair.jpg
    2048 x 1654 - 2M
    ExS-JonathanHair2.jpg
    1012 x 800 - 566K
    ExS-NorthHair2.jpg
    1006 x 800 - 595K
    Post edited by FenixPhoenix on
    edited July 2017

Here is one of my UHT2 vs. Lustre images. The first is UHT2. I created that image last year and was pleased with it. This week I applied the brown Lustre shader preset and I think it looks even better.

Tra La La Hair UHT2.jpg
    1280 x 1600 - 1M
    Tra La La hair UHT2 Lustre Shader.jpg
    1280 x 1600 - 1M
    Post edited by barbult on
  • JamesJABJamesJAB Posts: 1,760
    edited July 2017

Playing with this awesome shader setting!  First image is with it applied, second is without.

Thief05.png
    960 x 1280 - 2M
    Post edited by JamesJAB on
  • @giselle3000

''Perhaps if I can find a way to get something between HSL 80-100 (93-ish), the result could look good.

• However, I'm  still craving having a result between HSL80 & HSL 100.''

Shader Editor/Hair Name/Material Group/Base/Diffuse/Texture weight is what you're looking for  . . . . . . cool

Oddessa Hair.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 828K
  • wink

Oddessa Hair2.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 863K

@giselle3000

''Perhaps if I can find a way to get something between HSL 80-100 (93-ish), the result could look good.

• However, I'm  still craving having a result between HSL80 & HSL 100.''

Shader Editor/Hair Name/Material Group/Base/Diffuse/Texture weight is what you're looking for  . . . . . . cool

OOOOOhhhh! Thank you so much, now I know where to play! ♪ヽ(´▽`)ノ Thanks for sharing!

edited July 2017

Some great images being shared here. This is one of mine, notable for the fact that I made the hair as well using a Hair Lustre Shader on it - in fact it is a conversion from a Carrara dynamic hair product of mine, but I now have a way to make them into OBJs and hence into a DS model.

G3F Paige Hair Old Friend Final.jpg
    1200 x 1560 - 562K
    Post edited by PhilW on

Here's my most recent render making use of your hair enhancement. (This hair started out as blonde) :P

James - great, love the character!

• JerifeJerife Posts: 272
    edited July 2017

I jumped over your product as I did with all Carrara's one I have. Thanks

I've started to test

Here my normal Udaine Hair settings at the left and a couple of hours render. At right your shader and a night render. Same light, excessive, in both

Lustre Udane compared rdx.jpg
    2640 x 1980 - 7M
    Post edited by Jerife on

More fun with your hair enhancement shader.

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,850
    edited July 2017

Very useful product to bring older hair, like Woodlands Hair for V4 by Propschick, to iray.

Below is Daz Studio iray render of that hair on Juliana - https://www.daz3d.com/julia-and-juliana-for-genesis-8-female

Juliana01WoodlandsHair02pic01ps01.jpg
    1280 x 1080 - 308K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • JerifeJerife Posts: 272
    edited July 2017

New ones also look great! :)

This Karissa hair with a more natural light

01 Lustre Karissa hair FST ok 33 rdx.jpg
    1980 x 1980 - 4M
    Post edited by Jerife on