Enhanced Hair Shaders for iRay for Any Hair and Any Generation [Commercial]

Comments

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,762

I have spent too much this month, but this is too tempting...  

I know your pain. I have this product on my cart and I'm like... I've spent so much but this product... I want. @PhilW, fantastic job on the product.

Ditto here, but I broke down and bought it yesterday anyway... @-@!     So... weak....

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

The critical thing is that it softens the appearance of hair; a lot of hair often turns out looking like wires, otherwise.

I use cutout opacity to do that. :)

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,889

I normally do that, too, but this manages it without anything weird.

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770

Sold! I was trying not to spend as well, but I work with a LOT of white haired people and getting the shaders right can be a nightmare. This looks fantastic!  

Hi,

I thought I'd share a comparison. Please ignore that the pose is not exactly the same.

The top image is Perrin hair with @PhilW's new white hair shader and the bottom image is with the white Iray hair material that came with Perrin Hair. 

Edit: I also used the shader on the eyebrows and on the eyelashes.

Trish

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
    edited June 2017

I just rendered an albino character for someone in another thread, so if you are interested in white / pale hairs, this will be of interest.  This is the raw render.  The hair could have been even lighter / whiter but the image that she gave as an example had this kind of cream look with yellowish shadowed areas. I also applied it to V8's eyebrows and eyelashes as well here.  There is a pure white included as well if that is more what you would want.

Post edited by PhilW on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929
    PhilW said:

I just rendered an albino character for someone in another thread, so if you are interested in white / pale hairs, this will be of interest.  This is the raw render.  The could have been even lighter / whiter but the image that she gave as an example had this kind of cream look with yellowish shadowed areas. There is a pure white included as well.

That's a hard blonde shade to get right. It looks great. 

edited June 2017

Very beautiful, PhilW! 

I was testing some new things out already, so threw your shader on the black hair here. It turned out really well. For fun, I did a white haired version too. 

Famke4.jpg
    1500 x 1433 - 97K
    Famke5.jpg
    1500 x 1433 - 98K
    Post edited by Llynara on

Getting towards Storm with that second one - both came out looking really good!

edited June 2017

Thanks! There's much fun to be had here, LOL. I think I'm going to play with backlighting, as that's something l loved about Marshian's Rim Light Rig for 3Delight. It came with incredible backlight shaders. I've missed having those since I migrated to Iray. Thrilled to be able to do that again with your product, as I render quite a few superheroes that need it. 

I'll look forward to seeing those!

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,889

There are other hair products I like to use to add texture, but some of them use specialty coded shaders (which are probably slow) and all of them tend to be all fiddly with weird channels interacting in odd ways.

Using this product AND others seems apt to make a nice synergy result.

examples to come

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

Hmmm, I would buy a product from PhilW that created shader presets, sans textures & maps as we'd use the default supplied and already present textures and maps (except where not supplied and needed for example: water beads and water rivulets and oil pooling) so that we could easily use the product made to for Genesis 8 and all prior versions of DAZ humanoid products in these rendering situations:

1) Clean - freshly Wash & Dried (or competent studio portrait style) and therefore not oily or sweaty in the least

2) Typical - light sheen of oil, mostly on parts of the face

3) Active - light sheen of oil and light sheen of sweat, eg walked a mile in mild weather

4) Sports - light sheen of oil and very sweaty, even drenched in sweat

5) Wet - light sheen of oil, wet as with torrential rain, car wash, and similar situations but the external water flow has ceased

6) Soaking - light sheen of oil, car wash, torrential rain and similar situations with continuing external water flow

I guess to be complete:

7) Bath - wet as in 5 but no sheen of oil

8) Shower - soaking as 6 but no sheen of oil

9) Bodybuilder - heavy sheen of oil, light sweating

I guess such a product to be complete would need a companion product with varying 'dustups' ranging from clean none visible to muddy and from tan desert dust to georgia red clay dust to midwestern black earth with varying typical dirty patterns...eg, hands pulled accross the stomach outwards, forearms, top of thighs, knees, elbows, shins, around mouth and jaw, forehead would seem to get the most typical and in typical patterns reflective of the hands shape, right or left handedness, fingers being pulled across a surface, palms rubbing a suface and so on.

I think that would go as a seperate product that came later because that would be more difficult to make convincingly than the water product.

• AreynaAreyna Posts: 24

Hi, I thought I would post some really quick low rez images I did earlier to show some of the many the variations of color possible with Hair Lustre Shaders. 

I used Toulouse Hair. First I posted the hair as it is by default, and then a couple of examples of variations resulting from applying Phil's shaders. So, the first image is 01 Blonde (the default). The second image is 01a, in which I applied the Golden Streaks shader. The third image, 01b, in which I applied Sun-bleached. The fourth image is 02 Red (the default red). Etc, etc. Each image is named.

When I did these renders, I did not adjust the settings. Shininess and the amount of Translucency, (the glow effect from back lights), can be adjusted within Hair Lustre, but I left them on default.

I also applied each shader on the whole hair. I think it would be interesting to apply different Hair Lustre colors to different parts of the hair (for hair products that have that option). 

Also, I tried to match each Hair Lustre shader I used to a default hair color that was similar. (blonde to blonde, red to red, etc). It might be interesting to see what happens if they're mixed up. 

I'm very excited. I've had a lot of fun experimenting. And I'm happy to have this product! Thank you, Phil, for all the time you took to create Hair Lustre and make it available for us!

01 Toulouse Blonde.png
    1000 x 1300 - 2M
    01a Golden Streaks.png
    1000 x 1300 - 2M
    01b Sun-Bleached.png
    1000 x 1300 - 2M
    02 Toulouse Red.png
    1000 x 1300 - 2M
    02a Red Streaks.png
    1000 x 1300 - 2M
    02b Coffee and Cream.png
    1000 x 1300 - 2M
    02c Black and Red.png
    1000 x 1300 - 2M
    04 Toulouse Brunette.png
    1000 x 1300 - 2M
    04a Black and Tan.png
    1000 x 1300 - 2M
    03 Toulouse White.png
    1000 x 1300 - 2M
    03a Salt and Pepper.png
    1000 x 1300 - 2M
    03b Candy Stripe .png
    1000 x 1300 - 2M

Areyna - thanks for sharing those.

Here is a Genesis charatcre and hair, enahnced by Hair Lustre Shaders for iRay, showing that it can work its magic on the previous generations of figures!

• Nyghtfall3DNyghtfall3D Posts: 760
    Areyna said:

Hi, I thought I would post some really quick low rez images I did earlier to show some of the many the variations of color possible with Hair Lustre Shaders.

Is my browser (FF) not loading these properly, or did you not let them finish rendering?  There is far too much noise in these to see or appreciate any comparisons you were trying to draw attention to.

Yes, Nyghtfall, they were quickies and not at all finished. I just posted them to show the subtle diffences in color these shaders can produce. I'm sorry they're not finished renders.

Here is a render I did recently with Hair Lustre Shaders-Coffee and Creme shader on Voss Hair by AprilYSH. I hope this is a better illustration. 

2nd Portrait of Victoria 8.jpg
    2462 x 3200 - 6M
  • FenixPhoenixFenixPhoenix Posts: 3,027

I know your pain. I have this product on my cart and I'm like... I've spent so much but this product... I want. @PhilW, fantastic job on the product.

Ditto here, but I broke down and bought it yesterday anyway... @-@!     So... weak....

Hahaha I caved as well. Couldn't help it after all the wonderful renders being shared here! Will play with it and post my result (I'm excited!) :D!

edited June 2017

Hahaha I caved as well. Couldn't help it after all the wonderful renders being shared here! Will play with it and post my result (I'm excited!) :D!

LOL, GIselle! I swear you love to test and tweak as much as I do. You must be my DAZ twin! cheeky

@Areyna Very lovely render! Her hair really looks good there. 

@PhilW That's a really nice Genesis render. Love the soft lighting there, and the hair looks great.

• tj_1ca9500btj_1ca9500b Posts: 2,047

I 'wishlisted' this for later.  This looks like a very nice product, and I look forward to trying it out!

Areyna said:

Here is a render I did recently with Hair Lustre Shaders-Coffee and Creme shader on Voss Hair by AprilYSH. I hope this is a better illustration. 

Really beautiful - I love the way everything is color-coordinated!

• FenixPhoenixFenixPhoenix Posts: 3,027
    Llynara said:

LOL, GIselle! I swear you love to test and tweak as much as I do. You must be my DAZ twin! cheeky

I blame you for caving this time haha. That render with the flowing hair... it destroyed my last remaining self control.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

This is definitely an improvement!

Sonja, that looks very good!  

Llynara said:

I blame you for caving this time haha. That render with the flowing hair... it destroyed my last remaining self control.

LMAO- Glad I can help you with your DAZ purchasing decisions! laugh

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Thanks!  It really does make the hair look realistic.  Or as realistic as that particular color is ever going to look lol.

edited June 2017

So here's the white hair shader working under low lighting conditions. Still tweaking, but I'm very happy with how this promo is turning out. The hair already looked pretty good but now looks even better. Thank you, Phil!

Fall-2017-full.jpg
    2000 x 1600 - 137K

Llynara - you're welcome. And great to see everyone's images too, some very creative work!

• Leonides02Leonides02 Posts: 1,379

Just throwing my hat in the ring. Anybody hesitating to buy this, don't! This is the best hair shader so far!

It also works great on fibermesh body hair / eyebrows.

Thanks for your vote of confidence, Leonides!

• DkgooseDkgoose Posts: 1,451

I bought this product and your lumps bumps and beauty spots product a couple days ago.  Oddly enough I remembered seeing your beauty spot product when it was released and a couple weeks ago I wanted to use moles on a figure so searches moles and got limited results so I thought I mistaken, I was excited to see it was on sale so picked it up.  Both products are great :)

IMG_7085.PNG
    500 x 650 - 702K