Enhanced Hair Shaders for iRay for Any Hair and Any Generation [Commercial]

Comments

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

Thank you dkgoose!

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    Llynara said:

So here's the white hair shader working under low lighting conditions. Still tweaking, but I'm very happy with how this promo is turning out. The hair already looked pretty good but now looks even better. Thank you, Phil!

Woot looks like you got him figured out!  Looks great!

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945
    edited June 2017

Wanted to check out the translucency that has been mentioned, with back-lighting, so ...

Post edited by Chohole on

Simon - that looks spectacular!

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770
    edited June 2017
    Llynara said:

So here's the white hair shader working under low lighting conditions. Still tweaking, but I'm very happy with how this promo is turning out. The hair already looked pretty good but now looks even better. Thank you, Phil!

Thanks, that took forever! Sometimes it's stubbornness that gets it done, but it's also waiting for the right tools and products to come along to get the job done. Anagenessis 2, Wear Them All and Phil's Hair Lustre shaders were all pieces to the puzzle. So were the latest DAZ enhancements and dual lobe shaders. 

@SimonJM That looks great. Love how the light is streaming through the hair.

Post edited by Llynara on
  • SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945
    PhilW said:

Simon - that looks spectacular!

Take a bow, that's all your 'fault' cheeky

Llynara said:
    Llynara said:

Thanks, that took forever! Sometimes it's stubbornness that gets it done, but it's also waiting for the right tools and products to come along to get the job done. Anagenessis 2, Wear Them All and Phil's Hair Lustre shaders were all pieces to the puzzle. So were the latest DAZ enhancements and dual lobe shaders. 

@SimonJM That looks great. Love how the light is streaming through the hair.

Thanks, that's exactly what I was aiming for!

• BlueIreneBlueIrene Posts: 1,318

Is this worth buying if you already own UHT2? Does anyone know how the two compare? Thanks.

• AreynaAreyna Posts: 24

@ Llynara, thank you for the compliment! I like your Black Kat! He looks so mysterious, I'm intrigued...

@ Giselle, you're too funny. I'm glad you were able to get it!

@ Simon, that's some cool hair!

@ Phil, you know I've admired your work for quite awhile now. You not only do you do such natural looking portraits, but it's like you capture the "woman within" with each one.

edited June 2017

@ Astracadia, I think I can answer your question: "Is this worth buying if you already own UHT2?" If you look back earlier to the first picture I did (the girl with the pink balloons), you'll see I used UHT2 first. (UHT2 white) Then I applied one of the Hair Lustre Shader shaders to it. (Candy Stripe shader) I love using UHT1 and UHT2 alone, or in this case, to set the base color. Adding Hair Lustre Shaders just enhances the hair all that much more. They work really well together!

Post edited by Areyna on
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,889

Personally, I find UHT's shader set up a bit... fiddly/fussy. It's hard to adjust easily.

But, like Areyna said, using UHT to set better textures to begin with and then this product to make a really nice/more focused shader set up... is awesome.

Thanks, guys. I've kicked it out of my cart twice and then invited it back again, but thanks to your input it's days of wandering are over and it's downloading as I write. I shall see for myself what it can do later :) The majority of my renders are portraits and I use UHT2 all the time, mostly to match hair, brows and lashes. I'm not usually disappointed with the results, but welcome anything that can make them even better :)

Areyna said:

@ Llynara, thank you for the compliment! I like your Black Kat! He looks so mysterious, I'm intrigued...

That's actually Hugh (the "mouse", LOL), my stubborn British illusionist who refuses to be anything other than a G2M and loves M4 clothing. Kat chases him down in this book and gets more than she bargained for, including the nickname, Black Kat. She's here. It's a dark romantic comedy with superheroes. Trying to get them all into 3D and then into Iray has been a pain, but worth it. I'm excited to see what I can do with these hair shaders and my Supers with energy powers. They have been the most challenging to create.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

I third or fourth the fact that it enhances UHT2 shaders as well.

And if any of you have not read Llynara's book you should pick it up.  Its really really good.

• FenixPhoenixFenixPhoenix Posts: 3,026
    SimonJM said:

Wanted to check out the translucency that has been mentioned, with back-lighting, so ...

This look breathtaking! A girl on fire, if I've ever seen one!

edited July 2017

Phil's Hair Shaders on Steroids! 

Actually, that's She Freak 2 for V3 with NGS Anagenessis 2 and Dual Lobe Shaders. The hair is Hothead for V3. I thought it would be a fun one to test out the backlighting. There are three spotlights behind her head, all cranked up to 150%. That's the original shader (only comes in orange, LOL) plus Uber and Phil's Hair Lustre (in orange.) 

Trying to pose her decently with those crazy shoulders and that rib cage is a challenge. She's really cute in her promo pics but I have no idea what skin was used, because she doesn't come with much material-wise (none of the Generation 3 figures do.) That's Tanya for V3's materials on her.  

And if any of you have not read Llynara's book you should pick it up.  Its really really good.

Aw, thanks! Trying to finish the next book in the series this month! 

Hothead V3.JPG
    1050 x 449 - 78K
    Hothead V3.png
    1500 x 2121 - 2M
    edited July 2017

That looks very dramatic - I love it!  I thought (even before reading your comments) that the skin tones looked great as well. And she looks superb for a Gen 3 figure, I would never have guessed - I looked at the link at it made me laugh how low the item number is (1779) compared to the latest they are using - Hair Lustre Shaders is 45323 for example, so there have been well over 40,000 products launched in between (assuming they didn't skip a load)!

Post edited by PhilW on
    edited July 2017

Thanks, Phil. I love playing with the old stuff and seeing how good it can look in Iray. Some things come out great, others are just hideous. It's hit and miss. Here's another I did with her and more dramatic lighting. I really wanted the hair to look like it was on fire and to test those shaders. I turned two of the spots off and cranked up the other to 100k lumens and changed it to sphere shaped lighting. She's also got rim lights, an HDR and some bloom. It's a little grainy, but the shaders look really good on such an old hair (click and zoom in for more details.)

I might play in postwork and see what other trouble I can get up to, LOL

Hothead2.png
    1500 x 2121 - 2M

Spectacular!

• FenixPhoenixFenixPhoenix Posts: 3,026
    edited July 2017

Finally had a chance to play with the shaders and... I love the results.

• Left side the show the scene with the original hair materials.
    • Right side shows the same scene with @PhilW's amazing shaders.
    • I kept the light the same, but I did move hide the mug on the table for the second shot (I forgot to unhide it before rendering). I stopped both renders before they finished (ergo, the noise). Sadly, I had to stop the second render before it reached the same % as the first (I had to use the computer ╮(─▽─)╭ )
    • Thoughts: Though my experient show subtle differences between the renders, the hair DOES look more natural with the help of this product.

HairShaderComparison.jpg
    1920 x 1206 - 2M
    Post edited by FenixPhoenix on

Thanks Giselle for sharing your comparison, great image too!

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,796

Sigh... I need more money... This is looking awesome, now I want something like this for 3delight as well

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,074

Is it just me? I love this product, but the backlit limage from @giselle3000  doesn't look natural at all. There is a distinct halo that looks a lot more like oversharpening  than translucency.

fastbike1 said:

Is it just me? I love this product, but the backlit limage from @giselle3000  doesn't look natural at all. There is a distinct halo that looks a lot more like oversharpening  than translucency.

No, it's not just you and I've already come to the same conclusion. You can see the halo on the backlit hair in SimonJM's iimage too, and once you know it's there you can see it on the image that shows a backlit blonde character in the promos. It's not immediately noticeable in that image because of the dark blue background. The halo is a lot more prominent on a lighter background.

Any halo is probably due to either the Bloom filter in iRay or post-processing. I can't see any way that the product itself could cause a halo effect.

edited July 2017

A lot of us use bloom  in our renders. I've used a low bloom in every render I've posted here and haven't noticed any issues. I'm purposefully pushing the lighting and render settings to see how the shaders look under different conditions. So far, they perform very well.

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,074

I agree that Bloom is probably overused / too strong. I haven't seen this effect in my renders and I rarely use Bloom for general rendering. I have found the Enhanced Shaders to be pretty subtle at the default settings, which is what I wanted.

PhilW said:

Any halo is probably due to either the Bloom filter in iRay or post-processing. I can't see any way that the product itself could cause a halo effect.

Hi, everyone!

I've noticed there have been some nice images added since I was last here!

@ Llynara, I really must get your book! I like to write too, though I'm not published. I think, it's awesome to see a writer who's such an avid Daz3D artist!

@ fastbike1, I looked back at the renders I did here... I didn't use bloom. There's no "bleeding". Still, I'm thinking, one would only use the Transparency setting at 100% in certain circumstances. It depends if you want the light to come from behind (and make the hair "glow") or from in front (and make the hair shine). Or, sometimes, you might just want to add some highlights to the hair, and that works too. The product comes with settings for both the transparency and shininess, so one can fiddle with these things.

I've got another render in the works, but it's been giving me a fit. I hope to post it soon.

• EcVh0EcVh0 Posts: 535

Phil! I'm totally going to use your shader in my promos, it's the only thing I was missing to make my shaders feel alive! wink

Pale Skin Showcase 01.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 534K
  • jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

whoa! not only does the hair look fantastic, so does the whole image! awesome! 

EcVh0 said:

Phil! I'm totally going to use your shader in my promos, it's the only thing I was missing to make my shaders feel alive! wink

Haha! I just commented in your product thread (before seeing this) and in addition to saying the skin looked good, I thought the hair looked great - without knowing (although perhaps I suspected) that Hair Lustre had been used!