Morphs from G3 to G8

Comments

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

Okay... I'm not really finished with it, but I've started posting the link elsewhere, so I figure it's time to announce it here, where the inspiration came from...

From Map Transfer to Material Presets; A Step-by-Step Tutorial

The tutorial uses Victoria 7 throughout, and walks you through using the Map Transfer utility to convert all the materials to the Base Female UVs, all the way through saving corresponding Material Presets in your own materials folder for ease of use with Genesis 8 Female. It was written with new users in mind, so if you are new to this hobby and follow along from start to finish, you shouldn't have any problems understanding what to do.

It's long, because the instructions are explicit, but the Map Transfer utility is simple and easy to use, once you know how. The same is true for saving Material Presets.

There are 20 DAZ "7" females, if you don't count the Centaur, (which didn't actually give us a new female figure.) That's a lot of options to leave behind when you're working with G8F and all those wonderful morphs we made! (I have 112. Ice Dragon Art admits to having 118. And you?)

I hope some, (many?) of you find the tutorial at least half as useful as I found this thread and all the help from Redz, Singular Blues and the others posting here.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    L'Adair said:

Okay... I'm not really finished with it, but I've started posting the link elsewhere, so I figure it's time to announce it here, where the inspiration came from...

From Map Transfer to Material Presets; A Step-by-Step Tutorial

The tutorial uses Victoria 7 throughout, and walks you through using the Map Transfer utility to convert all the materials to the Base Female UVs, all the way through saving corresponding Material Presets in your own materials folder for ease of use with Genesis 8 Female. It was written with new users in mind, so if you are new to this hobby and follow along from start to finish, you shouldn't have any problems understanding what to do.

It's long, because the instructions are explicit, but the Map Transfer utility is simple and easy to use, once you know how. The same is true for saving Material Presets.

There are 20 DAZ "7" females, if you don't count the Centaur, (which didn't actually give us a new female figure.) That's a lot of options to leave behind when you're working with G8F and all those wonderful morphs we made! (I have 112. Ice Dragon Art admits to having 118. And you?)

I hope some, (many?) of you find the tutorial at least half as useful as I found this thread and all the help from Redz, Singular Blues and the others posting here.

This is going to be very useful and its much appreciated that you took the time to do it!  I have to go back the morphs thread and start working on my G2f character clone....

I have to go back the morphs thread and start working on my G2f character clone....

Redz "Genesis 8 Clones Tutorial" uses G2F throughout, and includes instructions on creating the morphs in part three. It's the second link in Singular Blues' signature, so you don't have to go through the whole thread to find it! (As it links directly to Redz dropbox, I'm reluctant to share the link without Redz permission.)

• sandmanmaxsandmanmax Posts: 992
    dracorn said:
    dracorn said:

I've transferred 118 G3F's to G8F with no distortions or problems.

Holy cow! 

I'm still futzing around with the textures.

I was a bit embarrased to realize how many characters I actually have...

I know, it is quite embarrasing to me as well

Me, too!  I have a TON of characters.  Which is why I am so darn PICKY about characters now.  I dial-spin my own faces and bodies, so unless I see a particularly great shape, I typically don't buy for that.  Great faces often form the basis of my characters, 'cause I rarely use 'em straight out of the box, unless I'm testing clothing or hair.  I look at the skin - and like to have a selection of shades from light to dark.  I also enjoy fantasy skin and really nice makeup will also catch my eye. 

Some of my favorite characters are from V4 - some of the best fantasy skins and makeups come from V4.  Guess who's happy about Cayman's new Legacy UV's V4 for V8?!

Me?  lol I was thrilled to see that as well.  I have a lot of V4 characters, the skin and make up options are astounding.

Me three... or four or five.... And I'm not so concerned about matching the original character exactly.  More like making them close relatives.  I view all this as increasing the DNA of G8F exponentially.  And much faster than the marketplace, I might add.

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

L'Adair - thanks for that. I've not had a look through yet but I have very few G3F characters, as I was mainly using Carrara and Daz did not update that to support G3F (hence I didn't buy loads of stuff!). So will this technique work with older characters? I have LOADS of V4 characters.

• This won't work with older characters as far as I know. The source figure (g3) has to have UVs and mat zones for both maps, and G3 doesn't have that capacity. The Legacy UVs products, being geo grafts should not allow this to work I've been thinking, for some time, about how to make it workable, but right now I've got nothing certain.

PhilW said:

L'Adair - thanks for that. I've not had a look through yet but I have very few G3F characters, as I was mainly using Carrara and Daz did not update that to support G3F (hence I didn't buy loads of stuff!). So will this technique work with older characters? I have LOADS of V4 characters.

You're welcome.

The basics, how to use the Map Tranfer utility, how to create Material Presets, and so on will be helpful in a general way. However, the UVs are so drastically different between Genesis 3/Generation 7 and the previous generations, you'll have to find other ways to use V4, G1, and G2F on G8F. If you stay solely with Daz Studio, you should probably invest in Cayman's Legacy UVs products. We were talking about this in the tutorial thread, and I was reminded by @jakiblue you need your V4 materials converted to DUF files to work with Cayman's products. Draagonstorm has two scripts available. I'd recommend the slightly more expensive one, as it can batch convert an entire folder at one time: The V4 Skins Batch Converter to Genesis 2 Female(s). You'll need to have Victoria 4 for Genesis 2 Female for it work, but I suspect you already do. You may well have the batch converter, too!

Cayman has a Legacy UVs product that lets G8F wear the base female materials. If you decide to use that, you may have some DAZ "6" figures, like Victoria 6, you'd want to convert to the G2F base. The tutorial would work really well for that.

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

That's great, thanks for the additional info.

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,276
    edited July 2017
    nicstt said:
    Vaskania said:

Without having gone through this entire thread, if anyone has tried it, do morphs that've been transferred from V4 to G3F via GenX transfer well from the G3F conversion over to G8F?

Some transfer well, otheres don't. I've had some hits and misses. This one turned out "ok". It's Angel for V4 transfered to G3F via GenX then transfered to G8F via Redz tutorial.

Render stopped early - sorry for the grainy.

I've transferred a couple; they went well - mostly.

Textures and morphs; I left out the hands from the transfer as they weren't transferring well and it was quicker that way and not discernably different.

Yeah, I noticed with some of the V4 character the tips of the fingers look kind of smashed or something. It's weird. How do you leave the hands from the transfer? I'd be very interested in learning how to do that, as I've had to discard some of the V4 character transfers due to the weird smashed fingertips. 

Post edited by 3Diva on
  • nicstt said:

I tried to transfer a G2 Morph to G8 with Redz method. I did this before with another character and it worked. Now I did it exactly as in Redz tutorial. When I want to load the new G8 Morph with Morph Loader then ist says
    "Loading morph NewMorph...
    Warning: Geometry did not match, failed to create morph."
    Resolution is base and I didn't change anything on the via Transfer Utility created Morph. What causes this error? Has anyone had the same problem?

Then you didn't do exactly as it said. :) Or I would guess that...

The warning likely means that you exported something besides what you should do. Did you turn off Sub D and High Resolution (or make sure it is off); did you make sure that anything not to be exported was invisible?

Yes, I think I exported the mesh and forgot to hide the eyelashes. I totally forgot that they are a separate mesh now...  Now everything is fine and works as it should. Morph looks great.

That leads to another topic. Does anyone happen to know if there is a possibility of converting poses from older models like G2 or V4 for G8? I have some very beautiful ones and I would love to use them on my new G8 morphs.

edited July 2017

Singular Blues shared a video in another thread, Transfer Expression G3->G8?. I watched it, start to finish, of course. It was recommended by Singular Blues, after all.

O♦M♦G!

You guys have got to watch this. If nothing else, the end shows a great way to split your full body morphs into separate head and body morphs! The link goes to that section, at 7:30 in the 10 minute video. But by all means, view the whole thing!

YouTube Video: New Morph Tools Intro

Thank you so very much, Singular Blues, for sharing this video!

Post edited by L'Adair on
  • Singular BluesSingular Blues Posts: 737
    edited July 2017

*Blinks*

I thought I'd shared that before.

Anyway, it's super useful and covers most of the tools for managing unwanted morph delta without leaving studio. The attenuate by setting in Morph Loader is great, but so is the rest of the video and it's just 10 minutes.

You could, for example, make a deformer, creat weight paint on the hands, and then save that. Then if your morph distorts the hands, delete it. add the defomer to the figure and then use the attenuate feature to exclude the hands from the import. But you need to know weight painting for that. But the G8 Dev kit already has a handy head split deformer, so that's already set up for anyone to use.

Post edited by Singular Blues on

Maybe you did. I don't remember it, though... But I could have missed it. There really is so much information packed into this one thread!

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,949
    edited July 2017
    nicstt said:

That leads to another topic. Does anyone happen to know if there is a possibility of converting poses from older models like G2 or V4 for G8? I have some very beautiful ones and I would love to use them on my new G8 morphs.

You could convert the V4 poses to Genesis ,then from Genesis to Genesis2 ,then Genesis2 to Genesis3 ,for the Genesis 2 poses ,there are converters to convert them to Genesis 3 and from there you should be able to convert them to Genesis 8 .......I'll see if I can find the link for the freebie converters

here ya go    https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/137491/converting-g3-poses-to-g2-it-works/p1

there is one in there for G3 to G2 and one for G2 to G3

Post edited by carrie58 on
  • L'Adair said:

Maybe you did. I don't remember it, though... But I could have missed it. There really is so much information packed into this one thread!

No, maybe I didn't. Getting senile, you know.

• j cadej cade Posts: 2,310
    edited July 2017

I recently have seen a few posts about how transferring morphs can create wonky eyes and your options are either to suffer them or manually fix them

Oh I have a method getting non messed up eyes when transferring.It works with whatever transferring method you use (I just started using it with the redz method)

Basically whatever figure you're using transfer utility to transfer morphs to, you add a rigidity group to each eye

To do this:

• take your figure
    • switch your view to textured wireframe to see what you're doing
    • select the geometry editor tool and go to the too settingsl panel
    • in face mode hide the non-eye parts of the head, I used surfaces, rather than face groups
    • go to vertex mode and select the two center loops around the eye (if you douple click along the edge you want selected DS will select a loop ctrl click to select something without losing what you previously selected)
    • Right Click > geometry assignment > create rigidity group from selected
    • In the tool settings panel you will see a new rigidity group with the selected vertices added as participants right click "references" and assing the vertices there too
    • Now select the rest of the eye (click a bunch of spots on the eye, and then right click > geometry selection > select connected) Make sure you get both layers of the eye.
    • assign the rest of the eye as participants
    • now right click > geometry assignment > rigidity group editor
    • set first, second, and third axis scale to primary (secondary or tertiary would probably work too, but they all should be set to the same thing)
    • do the same setup on the other eye
    • what this does is make it so the entire eye scales and moves as a unit (obviously if you try to transfer an iris shaping morph nothing will hapen, but since those don't transfer well anyway who cares?)
    • edit: save the scene so you never have to set it up again

Below is a picture which should hopefully be clearer yellow is participants (the whole eye) red is reference

Honestly I'm slightly embarrased I never wrote this up, I figured it out transferring stuff from G2 to G3,and then kind of forgot I hadn't actually learned it from somewhere.

Edit: The eyesocket might still be messy I'm currently investigating using rigidity groups on that as well

eyefix.jpg
    1890 x 1060 - 429K
    Post edited by j cade on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,050

I think the picture is missing, j cade.

barbult said:

I think the picture is missing, j cade.

Oops. too many tabs open I posted in a different tab than the one I uploaded the picture in

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    L'Adair said:

I have to go back the morphs thread and start working on my G2f character clone....

Redz "Genesis 8 Clones Tutorial" uses G2F throughout, and includes instructions on creating the morphs in part three. It's the second link in Singular Blues' signature, so you don't have to go through the whole thread to find it! (As it links directly to Redz dropbox, I'm reluctant to share the link without Redz permission.)

Awesome thank you very much!  Now, if there was only a tutorial on how to have enough time to work on all this lol.

L'Adair said:

Awesome thank you very much!  Now, if there was only a tutorial on how to have enough time to work on all this lol.

Not exactly a tutorial, but ages ago, Erma Bombeck suggested crossing things off your to-do list that sat on there too long without ever getting done... With that as the criteria, I'd have a rather empty to-do list...

j cade said:

I recently have seen a few posts about how transferring morphs can create wonky eyes and your options are either to suffer them or manually fix them

Oh I have a method getting non messed up eyes when transferring.It works with whatever transferring method you use (I just started using it with the redz method)

Basically whatever figure you're using transfer utility to transfer morphs to, you add a rigidity group to each eye

To do this:

• take your figure
    • in face mode hide the non-eye parts of the head, I used surfaces, rather than face groups
    • go to vertex mode and select the two center loops around the eye (if you douple click along the edge you want selected DS will select a loop ctrl click to select something without losing what you previously selected)
    • In the tool settings panel you will see a new rigidity group with the selected vertices added as participants right click "references" and assing the vertices there too
    • Now select the rest of the eye (click a bunch of spots on the eye, and then right click > geometry selection > select connected) Make sure you get both layers of the eye.
    • set first, second, and third axis scale to primary (secondary or tertiary would probably work too, but they all should be set to the same thing)
    • what this does is make it so the entire eye scales and moves as a unit (obviously if you try to transfer an iris shaping morph nothing will hapen, but since those don't transfer well anyway who cares?)

Below is a picture which should hopefully be clearer yellow is participants (the whole eye) red is reference

Honestly I'm slightly embarrased I never wrote this up, I figured it out transferring stuff from G2 to G3,and then kind of forgot I hadn't actually learned it from somewhere.

Edit: The eyesocket might still be messy I'm currently investigating using rigidity groups on that as well

If I'm following Redz tutorial, at what point do I apply your method? Looking at the image, I see both G3F and G38 in the scene, along with the object. But I can't tell if this is before or after auto-fitting it to G3F. I am assuming, (... yeah, I know ...) that this is done before the step to apply the shape to G3F...?

L'Adair said:
    j cade said:

To do this:

• take your figure

If I'm following Redz tutorial, at what point do I apply your method? Looking at the image, I see both G3F and G38 in the scene, along with the object. But I can't tell if this is before or after auto-fitting it to G3F. I am assuming, (... yeah, I know ...) that this is done before the step to apply the shape to G3F...?

You guessed right. after transfer utility, but before applying the the shape you want to transfer.

Or, if the morph has already been appliedto the G3F, you can select the fitted G8, and then go edit > figure > clear generated morphs which will do a refresh of the morphs in a fitted object

edited July 2017

Here's another render using a shape morph created using Redz tutorial, with converted skins via the Map Transfer utility. This is Victoria 7 on G8F.

Sophisticated Lady

Sophisticated Lady, by L'Adair

I ended up buying the shoes, for G8F. I just couldn't get SY's method to work. Of course, the next day it occurred to me, I was using a G8F figure with the V7 morph. I suspect that might have affected the outcome...

Post edited by Chohole on
  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,092
    edited July 2017

I have spent the last few days playing with morph transfers to G8F. Here is my latest young lady: the G8F Base figure with a mish-mash of morphs ported from G3F and G2F (via GenX2 first) using Redz morph transfer method.

I gave her the P3D Emi skin texture, Adell Hair for G3F (picked up in in Fastgrab yesterday - parented, then retextured with Slosh's UHT2 shaders) and Arki's CallaSuit for G3F (autofit plus tweaks), then lit her with J.Cade's Painter's Lights (still a favourite light set for me).

Post edited by MelanieL on

Very nice, @MelanieL. She's very pretty.

I wasn't quite so adventurous. So far, I've only used the full morph of one or another shape.

This is The Girl 7, on G8F, with The Girl 7's materials, converted via the Map Transfer utility.

The Girl 7/8 Photo Shoot 02

The Girl 7/8 Photo Shoot 02

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    Vaskania said:

Without having gone through this entire thread, if anyone has tried it, do morphs that've been transferred from V4 to G3F via GenX transfer well from the G3F conversion over to G8F?

Some transfer well, otheres don't. I've had some hits and misses. This one turned out "ok". It's Angel for V4 transfered to G3F via GenX then transfered to G8F via Redz tutorial.

nicstt said:
    Vaskania said:

Textures and morphs; I left out the hands from the transfer as they weren't transferring well and it was quicker that way and not discernably different.

Yeah, I noticed with some of the V4 character the tips of the fingers look kind of smashed or something. It's weird. How do you leave the hands from the transfer? I'd be very interested in learning how to do that, as I've had to discard some of the V4 character transfers due to the weird smashed fingertips. 

I used the geometry editor tool to deselect the hands at an appropriate place. Some worked without further work; on a couple I took the morph into Blender to adjust around the writst/hand/arm area then imported that morph in.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

*Blinks*

Anyway, it's super useful and covers most of the tools for managing unwanted morph delta without leaving studio. The attenuate by setting in Morph Loader is great, but so is the rest of the video and it's just 10 minutes.

You could, for example, make a deformer, creat weight paint on the hands, and then save that. Then if your morph distorts the hands, delete it. add the defomer to the figure and then use the attenuate feature to exclude the hands from the import. But you need to know weight painting for that. But the G8 Dev kit already has a handy head split deformer, so that's already set up for anyone to use.

I agree, thank you.

I have a query on this though; trying to split a head and body morph, and when I go to Attenuate By in Morph Loader Pro, the D-Former is not showing as an option; under weight maps, all I have are bones.

Do I have to spawn the morph, or perform other actions first? (Not a fan of D-Former, so rarely use it).

• You have to load the deformer attached to Genesis 8. Same way you would load clothing. The weight map should be under vertext selection, Pretty much exactly as shown in the video. There's no particular trick to that I noticed. You just apply the deformer and the option will appear in Morph Loader.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,092
    L'Adair said:

I wasn't quite so adventurous. So far, I've only used the full morph of one or another shape.

This is The Girl 7, on G8F, with The Girl 7's materials, converted via the Map Transfer utility....

Thank you! I'm kinda surprised how well the eyes came over on Girl 7 (I don't have Girl 7 myself) - did you have to use any of the eye-fixing methods?

On moving mutliple morphs from morph packs: one thing I decided to do was to give them a "product name" when saving according to which morph pack they came from. e.g. I've done 200+ Head Morphs, Shape Shift and others, but I still plan to buy the "real thing" for Gen8 when (a) they are released and (b) I have the funds! So I'll be able to just delete the whole folder of morphs under my id transferred from the Gen3 versions when that time comes.

MelanieL said:
    L'Adair said:

This is The Girl 7, on G8F, with The Girl 7's materials, converted via the Map Transfer utility....

Thank you! I'm kinda surprised how well the eyes came over on Girl 7 (I don't have Girl 7 myself) - did you have to use any of the eye-fixing methods?

On moving mutliple morphs from morph packs: one thing I decided to do was to give them a "product name" when saving according to which morph pack they came from. e.g. I've done 200+ Head Morphs, Shape Shift and others, but I still plan to buy the "real thing" for Gen8 when (a) they are released and (b) I have the funds! So I'll be able to just delete the whole folder of morphs under my id transferred from the Gen3 versions when that time comes.

If you look at the "portrait", (link,) you can see a bit of deformity in the eye lids, but the eyes themselves morphed fine. I created that morph with just Redz's Tutorial. After J Cade shared the instructions for eyes, I was going to redo the morph. But this looked so good, I decided to forego the extra work. I have shapes, though, where the eyes were so bad I didn't bother making a morph. Those I plan on using the new techniquie with and see if I can make them work.

As for moving morph packs, I'm doing the same thing! lol I figure if I wait long enough, the DO G8 stuff will be offered free as incentive to buy one new release or another. But I'll support my favorite PAs by purchasing their G8 products, as the budget allows.