Morphs from G3 to G8

Comments

• I've been using this method (Thank you Redz et al) to convert all my Genesis, G2F and G3F's (how did I ever get so many characters?). Now I am trying G2M but I ran into a bit of a problem. When I get to the part where I load G8 and use the morph loader to import my G2M clone it tells me the geometry doesn't match. I've been doing this stuff all day so I've probably missed a step but my clone looked lik G8 (with breasts) and I wonder if it should look like G2M (without the breasts)? Just want to check (before I do it all again and get the same result) that - if converting from a Male figure - there might be another step. I saw someone talking about Male Clones for G8 (Ithink it said look in the parameters tab) but I couldn't see those and now can't find the thread where it was mentioned.

Can anyone shed light?

Much appreciated.

It sounds like you're trying to load G2M geometry to G8.

Having not looked at Redz's tut (it was my idea), you don't load a clone to G8. You load the clone to G2M. Trying to load it to G8 sounds like the issue. You shouldn't need to add a clone to G8 for that figure. G8 already has one.

EDIT: If your issue is in part two of Redz's tut, make sure when you are exporting your adjust G8 shape, nothing but g8 is visible in the scene, otherwise you'll end up with two or more figures in one mesh. This can be cause by having G2M visible, or by have g8's eyelashes visible.

No it appears to be in the first part. I've done this over 50 times today with Male and female genesis characters' Genesis 2 & Genesis 3 Female characters. I'm following the instruactions from 1 to 24 but substituting G3F for a G2M.  I'll do it again, just to be sure...but it does seem that, at some point, the clone .obj becomes female. I'll make a note of the step that seems not to work as it should.

Has anyone else successfully morphed a G8 into a Male character? Do I need to purchase cross-figure to do it? And I thought Male clones were included in the essentials but I can't for the life of me find anything like that - where would I look?

Thanks

• sandmanmaxsandmanmax Posts: 992
    MelanieL said:
    Redz said:

1. I noticed Ears didn't work.  I need my elf ears.  I've got dozens of elf ears, all the way back to V3.  I've already pulled my favorites from V4 into G3F but I couldn't even morph my clone with Izabella's ears.  How do I get the ears in?

2. There's been some discussion about head morphs and how you have to use the vertex editor in order to save them.  Does that apply to head-only morphs?  Like SickleYield's Faces of Asia, etc.?

3. If I create a custom G3F with a whole bunch of partial morphs, you know - dial the eyes, the nose, the mouth, pear shaped hips, give her fangs, what wever.  Can all that be transferred as a complete morph?

4. How do I save Favorites?  I'd love to have to the morphs that I use the most available with one click every time I load a character (or at least the base characters).

By the way, Dimension-3D has some awsome DUF editor tools - one's called DSON Edit and the other is Morph Organizer.  You'll probably want to wait for a sale on those but they're super useful.

It's usual for ear morphs that autofollow is disabled (so the hair doesn't deform around them.) In this case you'll need to enable autofollow on the morphs you wish to transfer. The autofollow won't apply until you unfit your G8 clone (right click and fit to none) then refit the clone to the donor figure and the ears should work.

This method is ideal for transferring custom dialled characters because you are basically transferring the entire shape as a single morph. That's also why you may get some unwanted vertex changes when transferring individual head/body part morphs.

You may find the transfer utility method better for individual head/body part morphs, as the transfer utility doesn't transfer the base figure shape. In fact if you use the transfer utility method, to get the exact shape of a character, you would need to dial in the donor figure's clone. (though that has it's own problems)

I don't think there's a way to save favourites. I wish there were.

Ack!  I think it's time to crank up my source-code editor and other tools and just hack all the files at one time.  This could get time-consuming.

And, of course, they're compressed.  Google said something about a batch decompress tool in DS?  I can't find anything except DSF Toolbox in the store. The OP made it sound like something built into DS.

Do you have an unzipping tool? I use 7zip - you can run it on a compressed .dsf or .duf and it will uncompress it for you - it won't work on encrypted files like .dse (for obvious reasons) and I've run into a few other files it won't do, but for morphs files it's generally fine.

Yes, I have 7Zip. Do I need to rename the files to .zip?
  • Singular BluesSingular Blues Posts: 737
    edited June 2017

I've been using this method (Thank you Redz et al) to convert all my Genesis, G2F and G3F's (how did I ever get so many characters?). Now I am trying G2M but I ran into a bit of a problem. When I get to the part where I load G8 and use the morph loader to import my G2M clone it tells me the geometry doesn't match. I've been doing this stuff all day so I've probably missed a step but my clone looked lik G8 (with breasts) and I wonder if it should look like G2M (without the breasts)? Just want to check (before I do it all again and get the same result) that - if converting from a Male figure - there might be another step. I saw someone talking about Male Clones for G8 (Ithink it said look in the parameters tab) but I couldn't see those and now can't find the thread where it was mentioned.

Can anyone shed light?

Much appreciated.

Having not looked at Redz's tut (it was my idea), you don't load a clone to G8. You load the clone to G2M. Trying to load it to G8 sounds like the issue. You shouldn't need to add a clone to G8 for that figure. G8 already has one.

EDIT: If your issue is in part two of Redz's tut, make sure when you are exporting your adjust G8 shape, nothing but g8 is visible in the scene, otherwise you'll end up with two or more figures in one mesh. This can be cause by having G2M visible, or by have g8's eyelashes visible.

No it appears to be in the first part. I've done this over 50 times today with Male and female genesis characters' Genesis 2 & Genesis 3 Female characters. I'm following the instruactions from 1 to 24 but substituting G3F for a G2M.  I'll do it again, just to be sure...but it does seem that, at some point, the clone .obj becomes female. I'll make a note of the step that seems not to work as it should.

Has anyone else successfully morphed a G8 into a Male character? Do I need to purchase cross-figure to do it? And I thought Male clones were included in the essentials but I can't for the life of me find anything like that - where would I look?

Thanks

Looking again at those steps in part one, the clone should become female. At this point in the process, you are reshaping G2M. The point is to create a Genesis 8 Clone shape on G2M. At step 21. where you are importing, you should be importing to G2M not G8. Mind, your original post said, "When I get to the part where I load G8 and use the morph loader to import my G2M clone it tells me the geometry doesn't match." Indeed it does not. The geometry you exported in steps 1 through 20 was G2M, or whatever figure you are attempting to adapt the process to. You have to load that back to that figure, not to G8.

Part two contains further instruction on creating a clone for G8, but that clone isn't strictly necessary.

When using the Kattey/SY/Redz method of transfer, you need to dress the source figure in a shell of G8. The only way to do that accurately is to have a clone of G8 on the source figure. That's why the G2M clone obj is female shaped. It has to be to work properly.

Post edited by Singular Blues on
  • Singular BluesSingular Blues Posts: 737
    edited June 2017
    MelanieL said:
    Redz said:

1. I noticed Ears didn't work.  I need my elf ears.  I've got dozens of elf ears, all the way back to V3.  I've already pulled my favorites from V4 into G3F but I couldn't even morph my clone with Izabella's ears.  How do I get the ears in?

2. There's been some discussion about head morphs and how you have to use the vertex editor in order to save them.  Does that apply to head-only morphs?  Like SickleYield's Faces of Asia, etc.?

3. If I create a custom G3F with a whole bunch of partial morphs, you know - dial the eyes, the nose, the mouth, pear shaped hips, give her fangs, what wever.  Can all that be transferred as a complete morph?

4. How do I save Favorites?  I'd love to have to the morphs that I use the most available with one click every time I load a character (or at least the base characters).

By the way, Dimension-3D has some awsome DUF editor tools - one's called DSON Edit and the other is Morph Organizer.  You'll probably want to wait for a sale on those but they're super useful.

It's usual for ear morphs that autofollow is disabled (so the hair doesn't deform around them.) In this case you'll need to enable autofollow on the morphs you wish to transfer. The autofollow won't apply until you unfit your G8 clone (right click and fit to none) then refit the clone to the donor figure and the ears should work.

This method is ideal for transferring custom dialled characters because you are basically transferring the entire shape as a single morph. That's also why you may get some unwanted vertex changes when transferring individual head/body part morphs.

You may find the transfer utility method better for individual head/body part morphs, as the transfer utility doesn't transfer the base figure shape. In fact if you use the transfer utility method, to get the exact shape of a character, you would need to dial in the donor figure's clone. (though that has it's own problems)

Ack!  I think it's time to crank up my source-code editor and other tools and just hack all the files at one time.  This could get time-consuming.

And, of course, they're compressed.  Google said something about a batch decompress tool in DS?  I can't find anything except DSF Toolbox in the store. The OP made it sound like something built into DS.

Do you have an unzipping tool? I use 7zip - you can run it on a compressed .dsf or .duf and it will uncompress it for you - it won't work on encrypted files like .dse (for obvious reasons) and I've run into a few other files it won't do, but for morphs files it's generally fine.

No. I suppose it doesn't hurt.

Assuming a windows computer (no knowledge of Macs). Find the compressed dsf/duf. Right click. In the context menu, you will get a 7zip option with submenu. Select Extract Here from the submenu. 7zip will think about it, then a new file will appear with the same name as the dsf, but no extention. So you'll see Filename.dsf and Filename If you change Filename to Filename.txt you can open it in notepad and read all the glorious insanity of the Daz asset structure. (You can also just right click without renaming and choose open with, and find a text editor in the list). If you delete the compressed dsf and rename Filename to Filename.dsf (or Filename.duf, what ever it was originally) it will just work the next time you load it.

Now, I'd like to ask you a favor. Please to go to \data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 3\Female and test this knowledge on Genesis3Female.dsf. No need to replace or delete or anything. Just open the text version, and tell me what the "id" block says.

Post edited by Singular Blues on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,136
    barbult said:
    Redz said:
    barbult said:
    Redz said:
    barbult said:

Real Curly does fit just fine!

Here I mixed my converted Karen 7 with Victoria 8. The skin is Karen's, but I modified the settings. The earrings, necklace, and dress are all autofit from G3F. The eye materials are from one of the G8F characters, maybe Duffy; I forgot which one i used. The dress texture is from PD Iray Shader Kit 2. The lighting and background are from a free HDRI from textures.com. I recolored the Real Curly hair, too, to coordinate with her brows. I haven't tried the Oh My Brows on G8F yet. Oh, and I used the G8F Great Lashes, too. There's always more to try and more to learn.

This looks great, what did you do with the skin? It's the best I've seen!

Thanks for the compliment. smiley
    Well, let's see if I can remember/reconstruct what I did. I started with Karen 7 Iray skin materials. I corrected the SSS Reflectance tint for the fingernails and eye socket to match the rest of the skin. I lightened and/or reduced saturation on translucency color and SSS reflectance tint for skin, lips, nails. I changed the SSS Mode from Mono to Chromatic and added an orange/flesh colored SSS color. I fiddled with the other SSS/Transmission settings values until I liked the result. I adjusted top coat settings to add more gloss. I did not use Dual Lobe Specular Weight. I'm sure lighting has something to do with the look, too.

• I've been using this method (Thank you Redz et al) to convert all my Genesis, G2F and G3F's (how did I ever get so many characters?). Now I am trying G2M but I ran into a bit of a problem. When I get to the part where I load G8 and use the morph loader to import my G2M clone it tells me the geometry doesn't match. I've been doing this stuff all day so I've probably missed a step but my clone looked lik G8 (with breasts) and I wonder if it should look like G2M (without the breasts)? Just want to check (before I do it all again and get the same result) that - if converting from a Male figure - there might be another step. I saw someone talking about Male Clones for G8 (Ithink it said look in the parameters tab) but I couldn't see those and now can't find the thread where it was mentioned.

Can anyone shed light?

Much appreciated.

Thanks

Looking again at those steps in part one, the clone should become female. At this point in the process, you are reshaping G2M. The point is to create a Genesis 8 Clone shape on G2M. At step 21. where you are importing, you should be importing to G2M not G8. Mind, your original post said, "When I get to the part where I load G8 and use the morph loader to import my G2M clone it tells me the geometry doesn't match." Indeed it does not. The geometry you exported in steps 1 through 20 was G2M, or whatever figure you are attempting to adapt the process to. You have to load that back to that figure, not to G8.

Part two contains further instruction on creating a clone for G8, but that clone isn't strictly necessary.

When using the Kattey/SY/Redz method of transfer, you need to dress the source figure in a shell of G8. The only way to do that accurately is to have a clone of G8 on the source figure. That's why the G2M clone obj is female shaped. It has to be to work properly.

Thank you for clarifying that for me Singular Blues. I will go back and do it again :) I think after all the ones I'd already done, I might have put myself on auto pilot and been careless. :)

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,136
    edited June 2017

I'm wearing these shoes to school and you can't stop me!

G8F makes a pretty convincing school boy. I dialed in 25% of G2M hidden clone and my transferred Growing Up 9-10 year old morph. Sweater and Vest are Preppy for Genesis. I had to do a lot of smoothing on the vest. Hair from Redz Studio. It is TheBusiness Hair with the G8F refit from Renderosity.

G8F Boy 9-10 TheBusiness Hair PS.jpg
    1600 x 2000 - 2M
    Post edited by barbult on
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

Here is a render I did today with DT-Eve for G3F transferred to G8F - I really like the Powerpose for the face and the expressions for G8F. It also uses a new product I have coming out next week Hair Lustre Shaders for iRay to enhance the hair and give a more realsitic backlighting effect.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

A quick question for Redz:

I used the first revised tutorial, (G8 Morph TransfersR1.zip,) to create my G3F morphs for G8F. (All 112...!) Will I get a better end result if I redo those morphs using instructions from the latest tutorial, (Genesis 8 Clones Tutorial_Redz.zip)?

Thank you.

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287
    Redz said:

Yeah, I have to admit that the way the body reacts to expressions and posing seems definitely superior to prior stuff. There seems to be a good progression of things like bends and so on with each generation.

I'm not super thrilled about body morphs, something about going G3->G8 does some weird stuff with the shoulders, but I don't care about that as much as capturing different faces.

And yeah, baking Normals seems the way to go.

The shoulder issue is caused by the default G3F clone, which is not precise enough. If you follow my clones tutorial (posted here yesterday) to make your own superclone using Singular Blues method, then the shoulder bends come out perfect.

Below is Aliyah ported with the default clone on the left and looking terrible, and with the new clone on the right. Definitely worth the little extra effort, plus into the bargain you get autofit clones to fit G8 stuff to the older generations.

I've seen that character a couple times and wondered who she was. Thanks for letting us know. Wow, Aliyah is lovely! Makes me wish I hadn't spent all my birthday money already. :(

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140

Well holy crudbuckets. Lookit that!! Gia 6 wearing G8's Voss hair and Velocity outfit. And they look like they were made for her too ;).

Can't thank ya enough Redz :)

Laurie

Gia 6 with G8 CnH.jpg
    1300 x 1256 - 343K
  • ALLIEKATBLUEALLIEKATBLUE Posts: 2,959
    PhilW said:

Here is a render I did today with DT-Eve for G3F transferred to G8F - I really like the Powerpose for the face and the expressions for G8F. It also uses a new product I have coming out next week Hair Lustre Shaders for iRay to enhance the hair and give a more realsitic backlighting effect.

Very very nice

MelanieL said:
    Redz said:

Assuming a windows computer (no knowledge of Macs). Find the compressed dsf/duf. Right click. In the context menu, you will get a 7zip option with submenu. Select Extract Here from the submenu. 7zip will think about it, then a new file will appear with the same name as the dsf, but no extention. So you'll see Filename.dsf and Filename If you change Filename to Filename.txt you can open it in notepad and read all the glorious insanity of the Daz asset structure. (You can also just right click without renaming and choose open with, and find a text editor in the list). If you delete the compressed dsf and rename Filename to Filename.dsf (or Filename.duf, what ever it was originally) it will just work the next time you load it.

Now, I'd like to ask you a favor. Please to go to \data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 3\Female and test this knowledge on Genesis3Female.dsf. No need to replace or delete or anything. Just open the text version, and tell me what the "id" block says.

"id" : "/data/DAZ%203D/Genesis%203/Female/Genesis3Female.dsf",

• MelanieL said:
    Redz said:

Thank you. That's helpful :)

MelanieL said:
    Redz said:

I edited one G3F Elf Ear morph and copied it over to the G8/Female morphs folder, loaded G8F and... it did nothing.  Of course, I didn't finish following along with the rest of the tutorial, so I'm not too surprised.  But I have a burning question at this point... Why bother?  If I still have to manually load each one and save it off, it doesn't seem like manually editing the dsf files really speeds things up.   So how is this different, better than any of the other techniques?  You said something about not overwriting the ERCs (which doesn't mean anything to me ).

• dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333
    edited June 2017

I'm having a problem.  The fingers distort when I try to pose them. 

I thought this was mentioned earlier in the thread, but I can't find it. 

After I created the morph, I exited D/S, then opened a new scene and added G8F.  I used Morph Loader pro to create the morph dial.  I also completed the Adjust Rigging to Shape and ERC Freeze steps.

What am I missing?

Error on Fingers.jpg
    646 x 446 - 67K
    Post edited by dracorn on
  • MusicplayerMusicplayer Posts: 515
    edited June 2017

Here is the latest model by FWSA Melinda for Genesis 3 Female with bonus morph and textures for G8F. (Renderosity)

This is G8F with the Melinda bonus morph and texture.

Lighting is by DimensionTheory   https://www.daz3d.com/iradiance-hdr-mesh-lights-volume-2-for-iray

Clothing by Powerage Hot Summer 2017 for G3F  (Renderosity) with texture by 3-DArena 7th Ave Hot Summer 2017 (Renderosity)

Hair:     https://www.daz3d.com/georgia-hair-and-oot-hairblending-2-0-for-genesis-3-female-s

Pose :  https://www.daz3d.com/i13-perfect-pink-pose-collection-for-the-genesis-3-female-s   

I used pose 09 and transfered it to G8 using Redz's Morph Transfer Helper. Many thanks Redz for making such a useful tool available to us.

I must admit that I was very sceptical like some others in the forums about spending more money to buy yet another 'New' shiny Genesis model. I couldn't see what all the fuss was about, until I saw the HD expressions, and started to play with G8 and Redz's morph transfer helper. This along with some great realistic renders of G8 in the forums, plus a great Daz discount, finally persuaded me.

I don't usually do a great deal of female renders, but with G8 I think this is about to change. Now looking forward to see how the G8 male will turn out when he is finally released. 

smiley

Melinda.png
    579 x 797 - 395K
    Post edited by Musicplayer on
    edited June 2017
    MJW said:
    Redz said:

This is my alternative method, but I've found it better than the transfer utility for body morphs especially

Tutorial and helper scene/morphs included

Updated the tutorial file that (hopefully) sorts out those fingernail issues. Let me know how you get on with it. And huge thanks to everyone providing ideas and feedback, We'll get there together :)

DOWNLOAD REVISED FILES HERE

I have tried this without complete success. I have een especially confused by the tranference of the textures etc., as you may note from the attachment. I have tried manually matching the G8 figure parameters (left) to the G3F (Molly tewaked, right) of the torso, but as is obvious I have something not working. Is there a simple way to transfer them without having to laboriously enter every parameter by noting its details on G3F and entering them on G8? The eyes also have not carried over, which is a pest because I have no idea which eyes I chose for Molly - probably not her originals. I haven't tried to match the face colouring etc.

Shaping is reasonable but not absolutely right, but I can live with that.

If you're just trying to transfer textures from G3F to G8F, just load and select the G3F character who's texture you want to us, go to File>>Save As>>Material Preset then name it what you want and save. You can then find it under your Library >> Presets >> Materials. 

You can then select the G8F character that you want the materials/textures on and double click on the Materials Preset you just made. That transfers those textures and settings to the new figure.

Post edited by 3Diva on
    PhilW said:

She's gorgeous! And I love the hair - I'm looking forward to seeing your new hair shaders! 

• MelanieL said:
    Redz said:

I edited one G3F Elf Ear morph and copied it over to the G8/Female morphs folder, loaded G8F and... it did nothing.  Of course, I didn't finish following along with the rest of the tutorial, so I'm not too surprised.  But I have a burning question at this point... Why bother?  If I still have to manually load each one and save it off, it doesn't seem like manually editing the dsf files really speeds things up.   So how is this different, better than any of the other techniques?  You said something about not overwriting the ERCs (which doesn't mean anything to me ).

ERC is Enhanced Remote Controls. Which is technospeak for, "If I move this, that also happens."

No weight map could possibly be perfect for moving both G3F's arm and Star 2.0's Yet both figures live on the same mesh/model. This is done through the magic of JCMs. Joint Controlled Morphs. Joints Controlle Morphs work through ERC. Thus a method to transfer a character with ERC intact transfers both the character's shape and the character's improved bending.

I think I've said this more than once. No matter what your reason for using the concept of moving a file, and then performing the transfer, you still have to do the transfer before it will work. This is ansolutely something you should not do until you are prepared to do the transfer of the morph, because the original file is not properly setup to work on G8. If it works at all, it will be broken. The only point to it is to preserve the ERC links, for things like eye closure and joint bending. It's doesn't change the fidelity of the transfer. As far as your ears issue, I believe Redz pointed out to you the problem. You need to set autofollow to on. 

That's not really enough info though for someone unfamiliar with Autofollow. Say you had a morph. You dialed it and it did not transfer to the figure or clothing item you targeted. Now you know Autofollow is set to off. You now have start over. Completely. You have to delete the target figure or clothing from the scene, set autofollow to on in the morph, and then reload the target figure. Because the moment you moved the silder for the non-autofollow morph, Studio flagged it as autofollow = off for the target item and you can't undo that. You may even have start over even more. Because sometimes Studio persists setting even though you've deleted and reloaded a figure. The only way to clear that for sure is to close Studio.

If you want to transfer a whole bunch of ear morphs all at once ... Well you have to wait until I write my tutorial. It's a some what involved process, because, as I've alluded to, doing it wrong can actually break G8.  

Honestly, I regret bring it up, now. I didn't recognize the danger. That is, I'm used to converting things by whatever means I can, (because I'm not made of money, and I have stuff back to Generation 3. Also, because I've got a sideline of making things for my personal use, and those things end up needing conversion because I never seem to finish one before a new figure comes out. In one case, I took so long it was rendered obsolete) so I'm comfortable with the risk of fatally breaking a figure. Reinstalling it might be tedious, but it will work again.

The thing is, even these more benign methods of transfer have some element of risk, and seeing the gusto with which people dive in without a clear idea what they're doing, and why, has led me to regret saying what I did about the ERC.

On the flipside, it does what I said it does on the tin. I have pretty much a full custom G3 character. Custom body, custom head, body JCMs, custom controllers for the expressions. Essentially, equivalent to a Daz flagship character (sans custom maps, shaders, and products design around that theme. I actually I have more than one, but the rest are toons. This the only "real world" character that I both want to transfer and is suitable to illustrate how on might transfer, say Sunny 7. Like I said, not made of money. I don't have much in the way of flagship characters outside G1). The last few days I've transfered her 3 times. Not because it didn't work the first time (though I made one mistake and left a piece out. That bit isn't part of her. It was something I made much earlier, and it gets recycled a lot). I'm going to transfer her again tonight. A) because I thought of an improvement to her head mesh, and B) for the same reason I did it the other 3 times. I'm trying to refine the clearest, simplest method for actually transfering a full character with ERC intact.

While the final result won't have speed and simplicity of GenX, it will have all of the utility at least between g3 and g8.

As I mentioned in my original post about ERC way back on page 3 or 4, you do not individually edit files. The use of FAR (or similar mass file editor) is implied to be mandatory. I admit, it isn't, but who wants to manually edit 40 files? The head and body morphs alone have  something like 1000 items that have to be changed. (FAR tells you how man edits it makes to each file when you run it.) So, I suppose you can edit files by hand, but why?

So, to summarize. I never said this was better. I did say my clone method was better because it is simpler and gives more accurate results than any other. I'll plead guilty to that bit of hubris. The only thing this method has that sets it apart is does something no other method I'm aware of can: Preserve JCMs and MCMs. Beyond that, the fidelity of the transfer is still going to be a matter of the methods you use to actually transfer the morph. This method isn't about transfering morphs, per se. It's all about the Enhanced Remote Controls.

• dracorn said:

After I created the morph, I exited D/S, then opened a new scene and added G8F.  I used Morph Loader pro to create the morph dial.  I also completed the Adjust Rigging to Shape and ERC Freeze steps.

What am I missing?

That's a new one on me. Did you, per chance, check "Adjust orientations" when you adjusted the rigging?

Because if you did, that would be the problem. I'm really asking, not being a smart ass. Usually that problem looks different, but you never know.

Generally, adjust orientation is best not used, except in extreme cases. Obviously it might not be the issue, but I can't think of anything else that would happen only when you posed the hands.

Maybe take a look at the bones in rest pose and see where they are pointing.

edited June 2017
    dracorn said:

What am I missing?

That's a new one on me. Did you, per chance, check "Adjust orientations" when you adjusted the rigging?

Because if you did, that would be the problem. I'm really asking, not being a smart ass. Usually that problem looks different, but you never know.

Generally, adjust orientation is best not used, except in extreme cases. Obviously it might not be the issue, but I can't think of anything else that would happen only when you posed the hands.

It wasn't the Adjust Rigging step and Adjust Orientations is not checked. 

Here is a screen print for ERC Freeze.

Here are the bones with the morph dialed in.  Here's my problem, but I don't know how to fix it. 

Adjust Rig to Shape.jpg
    280 x 385 - 36K
    ERC Freeze.jpg
    344 x 422 - 47K
    Review of Bones.jpg
    643 x 664 - 57K

I got my first elf ears done.  Argghhhh!  One down, 154 more to go and that's just G3F.

• dracorn said:
    dracorn said:

What am I missing?

Here are the bones with the morph dialed in.  Here's my problem, but I don't know how to fix it. 

Which transfer method did you use?

dracorn said:
    dracorn said:

What am I missing?

Here are my notes from Redz' tutorial.  Maybe I missed something.

CREATE THE TRANSFER MORPH
    You will only need to do this once, then save it out and use it as the basis to transfer every morph.

Load Morph Transfer Helper.
    Categories / Utilities / Morph Transfer Helper
    - Click on G3F to G8F Morph Transfer
    Also located under
    My Daz3D Library / People / Genesis 8 Female

Load this into your scene. 
    - A Missing Files error will pop up.  Don't worry about this.  I have loaded the most current version of this transfer utility. 
    Click OK.
    - The Transfer figure looks like a base G8 without any materials.

- Open the Scene tab.  You will see G3F (visibility off), and G8F.  G3F will be selected.
    - File, Export.  File type will be Wavefront Object (*.obj).
    - Name it as _G8F_G3Morphs.  Click Save.
    [I put the underscore here so it will be at the front of the list].
    - The OBJ Export Options box will show up. 
    - For To: click the drop down and choose Daz Studio. 
    - Uncheck Write Groups (middle right).
    - NOTE!  This will make the "To" selection change back to Custom.  This is OK. 
    - Click Accept.

- Scene Tab
    - Delete Genesis 8 Female.

Import the Morph
    - File, Import.  Click on _G8F_G3Morphs, then Open.
    - In the OBJ Import Options box, set FROM to Daz Studio.
    Click Accept.

Transfer Utility
    With the scene tab open (don't need anything selected), click on the hamburger menu and click on Assets, then Transfer Utility.
    - In the Transfer Utility dialog, set Genesis 3 Female as the Source and _G8F_G3Morphs as the Target.  Leave the other settings as they are.  Click Accept.
    Now _G8F_G3Morphs is in the A pose.

Save the Morph
    - The morph has been created and is now ready for transfering.
    - Save this as a scene file.  Mine is located here:
    G:\DAZ3D\Studio\My Library\Scenes\Test\_G3F Morph Transfer to G8F
    and is called:
    _G3 to G8 Morph Transfer MASTER

CREATE THE MORPH
    Open the scene
    - Select Genesis 3 Female (visibility should be set to off).

TRANSFTER FULL CHARACTER MORPH
    - Open the Shaping Tab and click on Actor.
    - Scroll down to the Full Character and dial the morph to 100%.

Save the Morph
    - File , Export, save in my morph folder and name it.

=================================
    LOADING G8F MORPH DIAL
    - Exit Daz Studio and reopen it.
    Load Genesis 8 Basic Female

Morph Loader Pro
    Open the scene tab and with G8F selected, click on the hamburger menu. 
    - Choose Assets, Morph Loader Pro.
    - In the Morph Loader Pro dialog, set FROM to Daz Studio.
    - Click on the Choose Morph Files button, and open your morph object file and click open.  Click Accept.
    - At the dialog which tells that the morph has been created successfully, click OK.

ADJUST THE RIGGING
    - With G8F selected in the Scene tab, click the hamburger menu, and select Edit, Rigging, Adjust Rigging to Shape. 
    - Click Accept without doing anything.  This aligns the bones.

FIND THE MORPH
    - Open the Parameters tab.
    - Just below Pose Controls is Morphs.
    - Open it and click on Morph Loader to find the morph.
    DON'T USE IT YET - Rigging must be set here.

FREEZE THE RIGGING
    In the Parameter tab:
    - Click on the hamburger menu and click Edit Mode.
    - Right click on the new morph dial and click ERC Freeze. 
    This prevents the need to adjust the rigging every time the morph is dialed. 
    - Click Accept without making any changes.

Now you can dial the morph.

• TIL, in pursuit of the ERC white rabbit, G3F has two internal IDs and they both work.

There seems to be no reason for it, but some files point to one ID and some point to the other. Which is no biggie for G3F. If either works, then it works.

Genesis 8 female only has one.  So that's another thing that needs to be accounted for.

• dracorn said:
    dracorn said:
    dracorn said:

What am I missing?

You will only need to do this once, then save it out and use it as the basis to transfer every morph.

Also located under

- A Missing Files error will pop up.  Don't worry about this.  I have loaded the most current version of this transfer utility. 
    Click OK.

- Open the Scene tab.  You will see G3F (visibility off), and G8F.  G3F will be selected.
    - Click Accept.

- Scene Tab

Import the Morph
    Click Accept.

Transfer Utility
    With the scene tab open (don't need anything selected), click on the hamburger menu and click on Assets, then Transfer Utility.
    - In the Transfer Utility dialog, set Genesis 3 Female as the Source and _G8F_G3Morphs as the Target.  Leave the other settings as they are.  Click Accept.

Save the Morph
    and is called:

CREATE THE MORPH
    Open the scene

Save the Morph

LOADING G8F MORPH DIAL

Morph Loader Pro
    - Click on the Choose Morph Files button, and open your morph object file and click open.  Click Accept.
    - At the dialog which tells that the morph has been created successfully, click OK.

ADJUST THE RIGGING
    - With G8F selected in the Scene tab, click the hamburger menu, and select Edit, Rigging, Adjust Rigging to Shape. 

FIND THE MORPH

FREEZE THE RIGGING
    In the Parameter tab:

This has given me a confuse.

Take your failed file, if you still have it open. Switch the bone editor. Dial your broken morph back and forth. Do the bones move?

edited June 2017
    dracorn said:
    dracorn said:
    dracorn said:

What am I missing?

Also located under

Click OK.

- Click Accept.

- Scene Tab

Import the Morph
    Click Accept.

Transfer Utility

Save the Morph
    and is called:

CREATE THE MORPH
    Open the scene

Save the Morph

LOADING G8F MORPH DIAL

Morph Loader Pro

ADJUST THE RIGGING

FIND THE MORPH

FREEZE THE RIGGING
    In the Parameter tab:

This has given me a confuse.

Take your failed file, if you still have it open. Switch the bone editor. Dial your broken morph back and forth. Do the bones move?

No, the bones do not move at all.  In fact, only G8F gets bigger/smaller, but the bones do not follow her.  When I first reopened the file, the basic wear didn't fit, either, until I dial the morph to zero. 

Should I just start over and see what happens?

• You didn't adjust the rigging to shape.

I see that you did, in fact, run the command. I'm assuming you did, anyway, based on your screen shots. Same with ERC freeze.

However, if you'd succeeded the bones would move with morph. My guess: You didn't dial the morph before adjusting rigging.

Backgrounder: Adjust rigging to shape is a math operation. I don't know what, but it's a computer. It's all math. Like any math, it needs inputs. The inputs here are the weight maps on the model. So when you run the command, (this abtraction may be to bassackwards, but it covers the point) it looks at the current postion of the weight maps, and compares that to the default postion. It doesn't matter what kind of math it's doing (leaving aside division). If you adjust riging without dialing the morph, the delta's generated by the math will be 0.

I've never had that happen so I don't know what Studio would do with that. If it was actually 0, then I suspect there's be nothing to freeze, and you screen shot shows there was. But, as a guess, some of the bones in the face are probably not where  the computer would place them with pure math. I've noted the squint bones of g3 tend to move a lot more than they really ought to when adjusted. So my guess is, even without dialing a morph, the command will move some bones a tiny bit. Small enough that you don't see them moving now.

Short answer: No. You don't need to start over. You do need to open a new scene, add G8, and proceed from the step where you import the morph to her (assuming you've not deleted that obj file). Before adjusting rigging, make sure you dial the morph to 100% and leave it that way. After ERC freeze, switch to bone editor, and dial the morph off. The bones should start out alinged with the new morph, and stay alinged as the morph dials down, until they return to base shape along with figure.

Okay, so that wasn't really a short answer. I was on a roll,

• ben98120000ben98120000 Posts: 469

I've been using this method (Thank you Redz et al) to convert all my Genesis, G2F and G3F's (how did I ever get so many characters?). Now I am trying G2M but I ran into a bit of a problem. When I get to the part where I load G8 and use the morph loader to import my G2M clone it tells me the geometry doesn't match. I've been doing this stuff all day so I've probably missed a step but my clone looked lik G8 (with breasts) and I wonder if it should look like G2M (without the breasts)? Just want to check (before I do it all again and get the same result) that - if converting from a Male figure - there might be another step. I saw someone talking about Male Clones for G8 (Ithink it said look in the parameters tab) but I couldn't see those and now can't find the thread where it was mentioned.

Can anyone shed light?

Much appreciated.

Thanks

Click with right mouse button on the parameters tab (on the letters "Parameters") to get the menu and from the menu activate "Show Hidden Properties". Now, when you have G8F selected you should see in parameters tab menu Hidden and its submenu Clones and you can dial G2M and G3M there.