The Mac FAQ

Comments

• I bought a scene that is only DAZStudio. I usually use Poser. When I load the scene in DS, shouldn't I just be able to render it and it should look like the advertisement? It doesn't, everything is flat, no textures. (As opposed to in Poser, just load something and render.) Obviously I am missing a step somewhere.  

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,523

I bought a scene that is only DAZStudio. I usually use Poser. When I load the scene in DS, shouldn't I just be able to render it and it should look like the advertisement? It doesn't, everything is flat, no textures. (As opposed to in Poser, just load something and render.) Obviously I am missing a step somewhere.  

First off, what render engine did you use? 3Delight or Iray? OpenGL mode? What lighting did ou use?

For Iray, there are two basic lighting types, Sky+Sun or Skydome.
    For 3Delight, you need to add an UberEnviroment and set that up to get any kind of result.
    OpenGL Mode is just for drafts really and should really never be used for real renders.

Next quetions: What render engine, Iray or 3Delight are the materials for?

• inquireinquire Posts: 2,099

If the new Macintosh OS is not what you want, here's where you can give feedback: https://www.apple.com/feedback/

So, if you think that Open GL or Open CL should not be deprecated and replaced with Metal, you can let apple know.

• temnuitemnui Posts: 0

Hi!
    Can someone help me with strange "bug"?
    In all daz products i have very "pixel" interface. Fonts, images, windows, buttons, everything is not smoothed or looks expanded from low resolution. See on screenshot.
    Does anyone have any idea what it cud be?
    Macbook pro Retina, OSX Mojave.
    Thanks!

Снимок экрана 2019-06-24 в 17.55.03.png
    1614 x 1322 - 253K

If you think Apple should include drivers for Nvidia cards in its new OS, 10.15; and maybe the option to have Nvidia cards in its new Macs, you could consider signing this petition: https://www.change.org/p/tim-cook-apple-publicly-commit-to-work-with-nvidia-on-drivers-for-mac-os-10-14

I got my Mac Pro, late 2013 edition, in early 2014. So, I've had it for 5 years now. It seems to be in fine condition. But, I'm wondering, instead of waiting until something breaks, should I find a place that can inspect and touch up the computer?

inquire said:

I got my Mac Pro, late 2013 edition, in early 2014. So, I've had it for 5 years now. It seems to be in fine condition. But, I'm wondering, instead of waiting until something breaks, should I find a place that can inspect and touch up the computer?

I got one of those (can model) and what could happen is SSD disk failure (not to me though) and probably clean it up but not much you can do as you cannot swap the Dxxx AMD Video for anything else.

Would this: https://moltengl.com/moltengl/

-  -  provide a way for DAZ Studio to run on Mac OS 10.15 with Metal? The developers say: 

"MoltenGL provides the power to transform your graphics applications and games on iOS and macOS platforms. This premier product from the developers of MoltenVK will run your OpenGL ES 2.0 application or game on iOS or macOS using Metal — and faster!

"No need to rewrite rendering logic and shaders for different platforms or abandon the familiar OpenGL ES 2.0 API. Applications built for OpenGL ES 2.0 can use MoltenGL to run on top of Metal, to gain the additional graphic performance of Metal today, and to protect your investments in OpenGL ES into the future!

"What MoltenGL can do for your product…

MoltenGL is an implementation of the OpenGL ES 2.0 API that runs on Apple's Metal graphics framework. MoltenGL provides many of the performance benefits of the Metal framework, while maintaining compliance with the proven OpenGL ES 2.0 API. And MoltenGL will continue to run your OpenGL ES application or game on future versions of iOS and macOS, should Apple remove OpenGL ES in the future."

That is an API library, not something a user can use, but it's something that DAZ Studio developers could use. I have no idea on the plans there though, that is still "DAZ Internal stuff" and hidden from us mere mortals.

OK. Thanks for the input. I was wondering if MontenGL is still an option, or if it had somehow been discredited. I realized it's not something for individuals, but rather for app developers. 

What about WebGL? Think DAZ will go for that? Here's an article: https://architosh.com/2018/08/apple-moving-away-from-opengl-what-is-the-answer-for-developers-now/

This article considers 4 options for "Apple Developers"; the fourth is WebGL. A brief quote: "WebGL 1.0 has extensive pervasiveness at over 93 percent of the global web browser space. WebGL 2.0, its newer version that brings desktop-class 3D graphics to the browser, has over 62 percent global pervasiveness. And that’s without Safari and Microsoft browser support. It is already supported on Chrome, the world’s most popular browser. It is also supported on Firefox. (see image 02). Support in Edge and Safari are coming."

I'm just trying to figure out what DAZ will do with DAZ Studio for the Macintosh, and I hope it's not going to abandon it.

Found this article: https://www.sharecg.com/nbc/articles/1/1676840/OTOY-Announces-Revolutionary-Octane-X-macOS-iOS-WWDC-2019

According to this, "Octane X has been rebuilt from the ground up in Metal for the all-new Mac Pro and the latest generation iPad Pro. It is the culmination of a long and deep collaboration with Apple's world class engineering teams."

"Octane X supports integration across all major 3D content creation apps on macOS, including: Unity, Unreal, Autodesk Maya, C4D, Houdini, Blender, SketchUp, Poser, Lightwave, Modo, Nuke, Poser and USD View."

"Octane X will be available for Mac users to try as a preview release later this year."

"The final and full commercial release of Octane X Enterprise Edition will be offered as a free license to customers purchasing the new Mac Pro."

It doesn't mention DAZ Studio above, but might it include DS?

inquire said:

Found this article: https://www.sharecg.com/nbc/articles/1/1676840/OTOY-Announces-Revolutionary-Octane-X-macOS-iOS-WWDC-2019

According to this, "Octane X has been rebuilt from the ground up in Metal for the all-new Mac Pro and the latest generation iPad Pro. It is the culmination of a long and deep collaboration with Apple's world class engineering teams."

"Octane X supports integration across all major 3D content creation apps on macOS, including: Unity, Unreal, Autodesk Maya, C4D, Houdini, Blender, SketchUp, Poser, Lightwave, Modo, Nuke, Poser and USD View."

"Octane X will be available for Mac users to try as a preview release later this year."

"The final and full commercial release of Octane X Enterprise Edition will be offered as a free license to customers purchasing the new Mac Pro."

It doesn't mention DAZ Studio above, but might it include DS?

Octane does not have a DS plugin for OS X, only for Windows, but might change.

• thekiwiwhoflewthekiwiwhoflew Posts: 36
    edited July 2019

I'm really struggling with lagging issues. I use a 2018 Macbook pro running Mojave 10.14.5 and my Daz is at 4.11.

I've already gone to Daz > Preferences to switch the Display to Best and turn off Anti Aliasing. On the mac I've turned off Automatic Graphics switching.

I tried switching the Render settings to Basic Open GL and the SImulation settings to OpenCL Device: Apple Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7920HQ CPU @ 3.10GHZ. Earlier it was at Apple Intel HD Graphics 630 card but had the same issues.

I tried working both online and offline. I've edited the Parameters on every object in the scene to Mesh Smoothing > Off and Mesh Resolution > Resolution Level > Base. The downright ironic fact is that even as I was turning off the Mesh Smoother in both the Edit pane and the Parameters pane, the "Smoothing Mesh" message didn't go away, even after a restart.

I don't really render, but my lagging issues are with just trying to set up a scene. Say, altering a pose or even moving a hand. Everything freezes and my poor computer makes a sound like a jet plane trying to take off. I don't keep music and videos or anything that would really be weighing it down so I'm at a loss.

Any ideas as to what I can try?

I have noticed that when I try to make any pose adjustements, the freezing is accompanied by a message at the bottom that read "Applying Mesh Smoother." Is there a way to turn that off? I only have one figure open and no background and no intention to render since I use these more for drawing reference or for exporting into Clip Studio as OBJ's.

Post edited by thekiwiwhoflew on

Lagging issues with smoothing sounds like the issue where some items "Interactive Smoothing" checked, that kills performance on OS X for some reason. If you uncheck that, save a scene then repoen the scene, that is checked back from reading the original item's .dsf file, but if you uncheck, lag usually goes away.

• rav4rav4 Posts: 96

So this year I bought a used Mac Pro 2010 that has a GTX1080 with MacOS 10.12 Sierra. Bought earlier in year but now finally getting around to using it, or trying to.

Specifically looked for a system with GTX1080 to speed up Iray renders. While version 4.9.2 (which I have installer for) has iray, this version will not use the GTX1080 to render. After reseaching this forum, I learned one needs DS 4.9.3.166 (or later) for pascal cards like GTX1080. I understand also that 4.9.4.122 is the latest 4.9.4 Pro general release. Also read posts where some people can use DS 4.10 with sierra and it works, while doesn't working for others.

I guess my question is, which version of DS 4.10 works with sierra and GTX1080 for iray? ( I acquired 4.10.0.123 version but it won't open in sierra.) Appreciate any help.

daz studio 4.10 warning can't open in sierra.png
    478 x 268 - 64K

You can run DS 4,10 and 4.11 on OS X 10.12. Usually issues has to do with your (or Apples) security settings.
    I would recommend running 4.11 as ir has a newer Iray version.

And check the DS logs what the issues are, found in ~/Library/Application Support/DAZ 3D/Studio 4

OK, So I downloaded and installed DS 4.11. Iray Advanced tab doesn't see my GTX 1080 card, only CPU listed. Open GL hardware details in Preferences does see the 1080.

I have CUDA Driver Version 387.178 and GPU Driver Version 378.05.05.25f01. Do I need to update?

I checked for DS logs, but only a 'cms' folder there now, no Studio 4 folder with logs (yet).

rav4 said:

OK, So I downloaded and installed DS 4.11. Iray Advanced tab doesn't see my GTX 1080 card, only CPU listed. Open GL hardware details in Preferences does see the 1080.

I have CUDA Driver Version 387.178 and GPU Driver Version 378.05.05.25f01. Do I need to update?

I checked for DS logs, but only a 'cms' folder there now, no Studio 4 folder with logs (yet).

You can get the log from DS: Help->Troubkleshooting.
    NVidia WebDriver, just grab the lastest (I have 387.101010.40.130 (on OSX 10.13, might be other latest for 10.12)
    and Cuda 418.163 (might be CUDA you need to update)

Here are what seem to be the relevant log warnings...

2019-09-11 12:50:23.428 WARNING: /src/pluginsource/DzIrayRender/dzneuraymgr.cpp(302): Iray WARNING - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.1   IRAY   rend warn : CUDA module initialization failed with error 'CUDA driver version is insufficient for CUDA runtime version' (0x23); iray photoreal can only run in CPU mode. Please update your NVIDIA driver (www.nvidia.com).

2019-09-11 12:50:23.428 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.1   IRAY   rend info : Using iray plugin version 4.8-beta, build 312200.3564 n, 23 Feb 2019, macosx-x86-64-clang600.

2019-09-11 12:50:23.428 WARNING: /src/pluginsource/DzIrayRender/dzneuraymgr.cpp(302): Iray WARNING - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.1   IRAY   rend warn : There is no CUDA-capable GPU available to the iray photoreal renderer.

2019-09-11 14:17:20.255 WARNING: /src/pluginsource/DzIrayRender/dzneuraymgr.cpp(398): Could not add path: "/Users/soundville/Library/Application Support/DAZ 3D/Studio4/shaders/iray". Due to unknown error -2

2019-09-11 14:17:20.255 WARNING: /src/pluginsource/DzIrayRender/dzneuraymgr.cpp(398): Could not add path: "/Users/soundville/Library/Application Support/DAZ 3D/Studio4/temp/shaders/iray". Due to unknown error -2

2019-09-11 14:17:20.347 WARNING: /src/pluginsource/DzIrayRender/dzneuraymgr.cpp(302): Iray WARNING - module:category(CUDA:RENDER):   0.0   CUDA   rend warn : CUDA module initialization failed.

2019-09-11 14:17:20.347 WARNING: /src/pluginsource/DzIrayRender/dzneuraymgr.cpp(302): Iray WARNING - module:category(CUDA:RENDER):   0.0   CUDA   rend warn : The version of your CUDA driver is 9.1, but 10.1 is the required minimum

2019-09-11 14:17:20.347 WARNING: /src/pluginsource/DzIrayRender/dzneuraymgr.cpp(302): Iray WARNING - module:category(CUDA:RENDER):   0.0   CUDA   rend warn : Please update your display driver (current version ).

2019-09-11 14:17:20.637 WARNING: /src/pluginsource/DzIrayRender/dzneuraymgr.cpp(302): Iray WARNING - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.1   IRAY   rend warn : CUDA module initialization failed with error 'CUDA driver version is insufficient for CUDA runtime version' (0x23); iray photoreal can only run in CPU mode. Please update your NVIDIA driver (www.nvidia.com).

2019-09-11 14:17:20.637 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.1   IRAY   rend info : Using iray plugin version 4.8-beta, build 312200.3564 n, 23 Feb 2019, macosx-x86-64-clang600.

2019-09-11 14:17:20.637 WARNING: /src/pluginsource/DzIrayRender/dzneuraymgr.cpp(302): Iray WARNING - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.1   IRAY   rend warn : There is no CUDA-capable GPU available to the iray photoreal renderer.

Per logs for DS 4.11 I need newer CUDA driver "CUDA driver is 9.1, but 10.1 is the required minimum"

From Nvidia site: New Release 418.163 CUDA driver update to support CUDA Toolkit 10.1 Update 1 and macOS 10.13.6.

macOS support for High Sierra, but not for Sierra 10.12.6. Or is there a chance it might work anyway? Suppose I could try to to install 418.163 in Sierra, but before I do: has anyone else done so already? Or found CUDA 10.1 driver for Sierra?

Ah, nVidia didn't support 10.12 anymore, didn't know that.

New question: if I can upgrade to High Sierra, does DS 4.11 Pro general release for mac work with it for GTX 1080 iray rendering? Or would I need DS 4.10 Pro?

And the right drivers needed for this are NVIDIA GPU driver version 387.10.10.10.40.130 and CUDA driver 418.163?

I run macOS 10.13.6 + DS 4.11 and GTX 1070 on my nVidia based machine so it would most likely work.

• I'm on 10.13.3 using DS 4.11 (and the beta 4.12) on a 2017 iMac. No nVidia for me. Can I safely update to 10.13.6 without Daz freaking out? I'm always wary about updating my MacOS as I've been stung before. *sigh*

10.13.6 should not be a problem, although I do not run any iMacs.

• Totte said:

10.13.6 should not be a problem, although I do not run any iMacs.

Thanks!

Any news about Catalina and DAZ Studio Mac version? Is DAZ doing anything to get the Mac version to wok with Metal?

No news so far but as 4.12 just came out in the open you can always hope there is something cooking...

• TouristTourist Posts: 106

So, I'm on a MacBook pro running 10.13.6, will installing Mojave ruin everything Daz related for me?

Please keep in mind that I'm not tech savy, I managed to follow Totte's instructions to get out of trouble once (thanks again) but that's about it.