The Mac FAQ

Comments

• Geminii23 said:

@ ACFan - after reading this I decide to try something out.  I have full backups of everything DAZ on my DROBO, including the 32-bit DIM v. 1.1.0.71. So as a test, I launched that DIM from the DROBO and it loaded just fine.  Instantly it wants to update, but as it is I can actually get into DIM this way.

I had backups of the original DIM too (1.1.0.72 in my case).  Thankfully that still ran.  I have also filed a support ticket regarding the newer version.

What's sad is that the OS dropdown on the support ticket page maxes out at macOS 10.12.  Tsk tsk.

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,510
    rsharp said:

It's a huge shame that Daz developers would not have been testing all along since June with the first Mojave developer builds!  I too can no longer install Daz3D under Mojave.  Mojave was critical to install for my work.  Thank goodness 3D is just a side hobby.

Trust me, they have, I fully understand thier frustration.
    I've been developning on Mac OS X since Rhapsody and I've seen more than once late changes by Apple that breaks something that worked just a week ago.

• Daz developer respond me as:

Please install using Daz Connect while we resolve the crashing with Install Manager on Mojave. I apologize for the inconvenience.

So.. somebody tell me how to using Daz Connect instead DIM please.. ?

• Geminii23Geminii23 Posts: 1,327
    Iamcaobin said:

Daz developer respond me as:

Please install using Daz Connect while we resolve the crashing with Install Manager on Mojave. I apologize for the inconvenience.

If you are inside DAZ and have logged into Daz Connect, you will see all available items that can be installed/updated.

Iamcaobin said:

Inside DAZ Studio - smart content.

• Totte said:
    Iamcaobin said:

Or the Install pane, for items that haven't been isntalled yet, of in the Content Library pane the Products list will hae an icon for installation for items that are not installed (it will have the files for the product if the item is installed).

Totte said:
    Iamcaobin said:

Or the Install pane, for items that haven't been isntalled yet, of in the Content Library pane the Products list will hae an icon for installation for items that are not installed (it will have the files for the product if the item is installed).

My bad;-) 

• Thank you all firstble.. but I don't have Stuio yet because I have fresh install Mojave on my MacBook Pro..

• AbnerKAbnerK Posts: 718
    edited October 2018
    Geminii23 said:

Is anyone running DAZ 4.5 64bit on Mac OSx 10.8 (Mountain Lion)?

I currently am on 10.6.8 and trying to ensue compatibility for all of my apps before I decide to whether or not upgrade.

Thanks.

If you are thinking of using Bryce then don't update, it won't work on an OS higher than 10.6. By the way, make sure you have a good back up, or you can intall a bootable version of the OS on an external disc then you can have the best of both worlds. You can buy an interal drive and put it in an enclosure. I've got several I don't throw out the old drive when I've upgraded to a bigger one.  I'm using Daz 4.10.0.123 on Mac OS 10.11.6 it works fine. My computer is slow but that's because it's 9 years old. 

Post edited by AbnerK on
  • It seems there is a long time need to wait for the Install Manager updated on Mojave, so.. does Daz Connect is using as same as Install Manager.. ?

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    Iamcaobin said:

It seems there is a long time need to wait for the Install Manager updated on Mojave, so.. does Daz Connect is using as same as Install Manager.. ?

All we said was   we can't give an estimate of when this will release.

• BlantyrBlantyr Posts: 90
    Iamcaobin said:

It seems there is a long time need to wait for the Install Manager updated on Mojave, so.. does Daz Connect is using as same as Install Manager.. ?

Daz Connect does seem to generally work for me using Mojave.

• Geminii23Geminii23 Posts: 1,327
    Totte said:

WhooHoo.  DIM is back in business!

Ok, just wishful thinking here, but it would be nice if DIM gets an update to offer the Dark Mode for Mojave.

• ACFanACFan Posts: 12

Stress-testing DIM 1.2.0.6 for last 24 hours - loading my full library onto the new Mac .... all 6000 plus products! (not a typo!)

Overall, it is worth the wait because of the OS changes, as this version is faster overall and quite stable. Those who were waiting to make sure the bugs were hunted down and exterminated, you're good to go - this one got it.

Thanks to the DAZ techs who were very patient over email as we sorted out what it was and was not doing on my machine. With what we found, the response time for a repaired update is quite impressive, as the very files that should have pointed out the fail point were not being written. Kudos, DAZ Team!

• BraincellsBraincells Posts: 42
    edited October 2018

Hi, suddenly DS 4.10 crashes every time I attempt to save a scene, any scene. I can't open any scene files or merge into others without it crashing DS wit the spinning beachball.  I have tried starting/ stopping the CMS, zapped the PRAM, I've removed my Antivirus and VPN which I've heard could interfere with the PostGres SQL causing a Stackoverflow. I'm on High Sierria 10.13.6 MacOS, MacPro 2012, NVidia 980Ti card, using DIM to install. Has anybody an idea what it could be?

Post edited by Braincells on
  • Have you checked folder permissions?

Hi, suddenly DS 4.10 crashes every time I attempt to save a scene, any scene. I can't open any scene files or merge into others without it crashing DS wit the spinning beachball.  I have tried starting/ stopping the CMS, zapped the PRAM, I've removed my Antivirus and VPN which I've heard could interfere with the PostGres SQL causing a Stackoverflow. I'm on High Sierria 10.13.6 MacOS, MacPro 2012, NVidia 980Ti card, using DIM to install. Has anybody an idea what it could be?

Can be several things, can you please provide a crashlog so I have something to go from.

• MarshianMarshian Posts: 1,459
    edited October 2018

All in the past 24hrs: It's confirmed my LCD screen is dead, a $750 fix on my 2013 iMac (which means it's almost totaled). It looks like the last iMacs with NVIDIA were in 2013 (2012 for Mac Pro). Research into refurbs highly recommends apple certified and the pickings are very slim, I dont have time to wait, and I'm getting lost in all the tech-speak. An external NVIDIA drive can be hampered by not having the right cable/connections, plus the price, and problems on booting up/updates/security. Most of this is a rabbit hole I'm getting lost in.

So Looking for ideas on buying a new 27" MAC lead me to Experimac (MAC repair), highly rated in our area. The tech there is aware of the AMD/NVIDIA situation. To compensate for the AMD graphics he said to get a new iMac, i7, max out the VRAM, and get three years of Apple Care.

• Best Case: Maybe with this new model I'll be able to add NVIDIA later
    • Worst Case: Use a render service or render overnight

Either way I can keep working.

In the new iMac I'll either be able to boot up from Time Machine or start up in Target Disk Mode with the old iMac attached. I have to stay on this to keep working. This is where I'm headed. This route has 18 months no interest, which I can do. : https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/imac/27-inch-3.8ghz-2tb#

Going to take the leap soon. Let me know if you have thoughts or concerns, brutal honesty if need be.

And then there's a big Apple announcement on October 30th
    Post edited by Marshian on
    Marshian said:

All in the past 24hrs: It's confirmed my LCD screen is dead, a $750 fix on my 2013 iMac (which means it's almost totaled). It looks like the last iMacs with NVIDIA were in 2013 (2012 for Mac Pro). Research into refurbs highly recommends apple certified and the pickings are very slim, I dont have time to wait, and I'm getting lost in all the tech-speak. An external NVIDIA drive can be hampered by not having the right cable/connections, plus the price, and problems on booting up/updates/security. Most of this is a rabbit hole I'm getting lost in.

So Looking for ideas on buying a new 27" MAC lead me to Experimac (MAC repair), highly rated in our area. The tech there is aware of the AMD/NVIDIA situation. To compensate for the AMD graphics he said to get a new iMac, i7, max out the VRAM, and get three years of Apple Care.

• Best Case: Maybe with this new model I'll be able to add NVIDIA later
    • Worst Case: Use a render service or render overnight

Either way I can keep working.

In the new iMac I'll either be able to boot up from Time Machine or start up in Target Disk Mode with the old iMac attached. I have to stay on this to keep working. This is where I'm headed. This route has 18 months no interest, which I can do. : https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/imac/27-inch-3.8ghz-2tb#

Going to take the leap soon. Let me know if you have thoughts or concerns, brutal honesty if need be.

And then there's a big Apple announcement on October 30th

Apple will probably never go with nVidia again since the problems when nVidia threatened to sue Apple over patents and apple said no, goodbye nVidia, so to go nVidia it's either external box (imac way) or Cards (old MacPro way)

• MarshianMarshian Posts: 1,459
    Oh wow! I didn't know all that. Thanks! It's getting clearer still, more specifically I found out iray doesn't "see" the AMD cards at all. Josh said they've had some luck with an external box, technical hoops to jump through, but it worked. You mentioned some of these already. Price is ouchy: https://m.newegg.com/products/9SIA8HF83Z3938?cm_re=egpu-_-14-932-011-_-Product
    Marshian said:
    Oh wow! I didn't know all that. Thanks! It's getting clearer still, more specifically I found out iray doesn't "see" the AMD cards at all. Josh said they've had some luck with an external box, technical hoops to jump through, but it worked. You mentioned some of these already. Price is ouchy: https://m.newegg.com/products/9SIA8HF83Z3938?cm_re=egpu-_-14-932-011-_-Product

Good link:https://blog.greggant.com/posts/2018/03/29/installing-geforce-gtx-1060-1070-1080-on-mac-pro-2010-2012.html

I know, that's why I recommended a MacPro (hotted up) where you can put in nVidiacards, you can even get flashed cards with EFI boot oon Amazon or EBay

• TouristTourist Posts: 106

So what's the consensus on Mojave?

Will everything Daz related work seamlessly if I upgrade to 10.14 (with the new DIM)?

I currently have 10.13.6

Tourist said:

So what's the consensus on Mojave?

Will everything Daz related work seamlessly if I upgrade to 10.14 (with the new DIM)?

I currently have 10.13.6

I still haven't a combination of Videocard and CPU that I can dare upgrade so still cannot test.

• TouristTourist Posts: 106
    Totte said:

I still haven't a combination of Videocard and CPU that I can dare upgrade so still cannot test.

Well, if you are not sure I'm not touching Mojave!

Thanks for the answer.

edited October 2018
    Totte said:

Can be several things, can you please provide a crashlog so I have something to go from.

Hi, here is the log attached. Thanks for taking a look. 

txt
    txt
    log.txt
    edited October 2018

Have you checked folder permissions?

'Get Info for HD' says System is read/write, wheel is 'read only' and everyone is 'read only'.WHen I try to change wheel and everyone (I'm the admin) I get (error code -60002). However, I ran Disk Utility to set the persmission on Home folder level and everything is now on read&write permissions which includes the DS application folder. Still crashes DS and I can't get it to change permissions on the HD level.

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621
    edited November 2018

@Totte

Hi! I wonder if you would have the time or interest to help me out with some weird rendering issues I'm experiencing? I'm in the process of testing the aweSurface shader and have been looking into this now for a couple of days. Turned out it's not related to awe, but (and I'm speculating here) the Mac inplementation/DS integration of 3Delight. An example of the artefacts I'm having:

As far as I know there are 3 things that trig this behavior:

Using the raytracer (ie progressive mode, scripted path tracing)

Using a camera with DoF enabled

Using bump/displacement for the skin

A Windows user kindly tried to replicate the issue but couldn't, so that makes me suspect it's a Mac problem. If you are interested, I have documented the testing in here, starting on page 5:https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/284366/the-official-awesurface-test-track/p5  (scroll down a fair bit till you start seeing the angry)

Unfortunately there is a lot of speculations and assumptions mixed in, but this is a rather perplexing thingsmiley I'm using DS4.9.2.70 along with the 4.10 Beta, and an IMac with 10.11.6. Any help on this matter would be most appreciated! Wowie and Mustakettu85 are naturally involved also, they are both on Windows and unable to reproduce this particular issue.

Thanks,

Sven

Edit to add: If someone on a Mac has had similar issues, please post in the thread I linked to, I need someone on  a Mac to try replicate this thing using for example the regular 3DL renderer with progressive mode enabled, using a camera created on a Mac (meaning you have created it yourself), with DoF enabled and these camera/render settings:

Just load a Genesis character with 3DL mats and use the camera headlamp, no light sets needed;) Camera settings are pretty overkill so one needs to move the camera back some distance to get a descent shot;)

Thanks

UPDATE: It has been confirmed this is not a Mac specific issue, a number of Windows users have been able to reproduce it, so I'm considering filing a bug report. I find it very strange that clothing is not affected, only skin.

Post edited by Sven Dullah on
  • I've been having an odd issue with rendering: everythong goes well as while I'm uisng my MacBookPro (2017 15" Touchbar), then when I stop using it and the computer goes to sleep, the rendering stops or slows down after some unknown point (based on my vague memories of the number Iray iterations befor going to bed and after checking in the morning, ~1 hour after leaving the computer). However, and this is the weird part, when this has happened before, waking the computer and leaving it rendering while going to work doesn't cause any problems—the render keeping chugging away. Is there some sleep settng that's gettinh triggered overnight but not during the day I'm unaware of?

• The future of Daz Studio on the Mac OS platform...

As a dedicated Mac user as well as a dedicated Studio user, I’m concerned that Apple’s decision to deprecate OpenGL on all Mac OS platforms going forward and replacing 3D processing with Metal, Studio, which is already kinda clunky, laggy and slow on my iMac, may at some point no longer be compatible with the Mac OS. Perhaps this shouldn’t be a concern but after having invested so much time and hundreds of dollars on Daz 3D content, it all may no longer be usable on my Mac computers. 

Is this a possibility? Will Studio continue solely as an OpenGL platform or is Metal support being planned?