The Mac FAQ

Comments

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,533

Probably a 10 15 bug then., which can be a result of some required plist enties missing. Any other program behaving the same way?

• Totte said:

Probably a 10 15 bug then., which can be a result of some required plist enties missing. Any other program behaving the same way?

So far everything else is working fine...  I fied a report with Daz.

• Oh boy, DIM and Hexagon are the first confirmed casualties of Catalina, apparently. What other add-ons/Plug Ins are, at this point in time, confirmed to be DOA (ie 32-bit support only)?

• inquireinquire Posts: 2,099

Oh, so Catalina's out. I sure hope you get this worked out quickly. Perhaps go to Apple.com, and Support, and ask for help. Either in Discussions, or you can type notes back and forth with an Apple rep. Hopefully, you'll be able to report that DS does run in Catalina and you can render. Itinerant reports using Betas of Catalina with both 4.11 and 4.12. That's in the DAZ Studio 4.12 Pro, General Release! Forum. That Forum link is: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/353851/daz-studio-4-12-pro-general-release/p6

It's on Page 5 and 6 on my computer. Maybe ask Itinerant?

I have DIM as 64-bit. Shouldn't it run? If it's not running, there must be some other reason. Hexagon is old and hasn't been updated in a while (i think).

There is a Hex 64 bit beta .

I still think the issues has to do with the updated GateKeeper

• I had a 30 minute walk through with Apple about Catalina and DS 4.12 opening and merging. They suspect it is a DS issue (of course:) ..  I filed a ticket with Daz yesterday.

• Finlaena said:

Oh boy, DIM and Hexagon are the first confirmed casualties of Catalina, apparently. What other add-ons/Plug Ins are, at this point in time, confirmed to be DOA (ie 32-bit support only)?

DIM is certainly being worked on, see the change log

• To open or merge .DUF files in Catalina, you have to drag them from the Finder to DAZ's window, if you try to open or merge them in usual way, everything is grayed out, so it looks like in Catalina DAZ have some problems with file dialogs (and not with permissions, as only dialogs themselves affected).

• rsharp said:

If Daz wants to get serious about supporting the Mac, they'll have their developers obtain the prereleases of the OS (available each year mid June).  Then, update their software as needed.  Many software companies do this and all is well when the new OS is released in Sep/Oct.  But there are those companies that continue to be reactive instead of proactive.  Hopefully Daz will change this in the future.

I'm very curious to see the demographic breakdown of users by OS: I'm sure Windows would outpace Mac by miles. 

But yes, I'd love to see Daz get serious about supporting the Mac (in the sense that it's ahead of the macOS update bell curve), though I understand it's a lot more complicated in no small part due to Apple themselves.

On a separate note, has anyone tried using Sidecar to use DS (or Hexagon) on an iPad? It's basically a secondary monitor, but I'm curious if it makes much of a difference. 

OK, but does Catalina contain Open GL and Open CL? If so, will DAZ Studio be able to run/render in Catalina?

Might want to see this thread on MacOS Catalina & DAZ Studiohttps://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/357501/macos-catalina-daz-studio#latest

This may answer my question. It's just a little bit from the Ars Technica review at https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/10/macos-10-15-catalina-the-ars-technica-review/3/

OpenGL and OpenCL

OpenGL and OpenCL were officially deprecated in Mojave last year, though that's a little misleading since it implies that Apple had been actively maintaining and updating its support for those standards. In Catalina, as in every macOS version going all the way back to Mavericks, the macOS OpenGL implementation is stuck at version 4.1 (2010), and the OpenCL version is stuck at 1.2 (2011). This means that apps that still rely on those APIs on macOS will continue to run, provided they've been updated to meet the 64-bit-only requirement. But you shouldn't be developing new Mac apps that rely on OpenGL or CL for anything important.

Apple also isn't directly supporting newer replacement standards like Vulkan. Instead, the company is opting to direct developers toward its own proprietary Metal API for both graphics and GPU computing. But that doesn't mean there's no hope for cross-platform developers—the MoltenVK translation layer, which maps Vulkan API calls to Metal ones, is actively being used in several prominent apps, and the results are promising. In both Dota 2 and the Dolphin GameCube and Wii emulator, MoltenVK often performs significantly better than OpenGL while saving developers the trouble of adding and maintaining Metal support. It's not totally without bugs (and as those Dota 2 benchmarks from Phoronix show, still not quite as fast as Vulkan running on Linux or Windows 10), but MoltenVK is still a big improvement over OpenGL.

OK, if Catalina has got OpenGL and OpenCL, I guess I could buy a new Macintosh Pro, when it's released. I'd want it to be able to run DAZ Studio (and Poser) and render quickly. I guess it would be rendering in CPU, and not in GPU. So, any suggestions as to what would be a good configuration? I'm not going to go up to the $35,000 level, which I think it the highest end.

• I filed a ticket about the Catalina file opening issue on Monday.   Heres the responce:

We spoke to our Developers and have been assured that they are actively working on getting this up and running on the Catalina OSX. Unfortunately, Apple changed the way that a lot of things work in Catalina, so we do have to make some significant changes on our end to get this working correctly. Please watch our forums. Any update to the software will be posted there.

We will also send you an email when versions of Daz Studio and Daz Install Manager that work with Catalina are released.

I filed a ticket about the Catalina file opening issue on Monday.   Heres the responce:

We spoke to our Developers and have been assured that they are actively working on getting this up and running on the Catalina OSX. Unfortunately, Apple changed the way that a lot of things work in Catalina, so we do have to make some significant changes on our end to get this working correctly. Please watch our forums. Any update to the software will be posted there.

We will also send you an email when versions of Daz Studio and Daz Install Manager that work with Catalina are released.

Please let us know when you get that email, just in case we don't see it in the other forums.

• inquire said:

I filed a ticket about the Catalina file opening issue on Monday.   Heres the responce:

Please let us know when you get that email, just in case we don't see it in the other forums.

I will - I'm guessing it will be awhile

edited October 2019
    inquire said:

Thanks. and Yes, it probably will be DAZ Soon

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • inquire said:
    inquire said:

Thanks. and Yes, it probably will be DAZ Soon

Actually, it is available as a Public Build (beta).

OK. Good to know.

• rav4rav4 Posts: 96

Anyone doing an iray render click the cancel button, and then that very cancel button disappears, and the render progress keeps time counting. Clicking the cancel button then in the render window (cause that cancel button is still there), asks if you want to save, click yes to that, and then nothing happens other than the render progress is still time counting and there's no way out except to quit daz studio?

rav4 said:

Anyone doing an iray render click the cancel button, and then that very cancel button disappears, and the render progress keeps time counting. Clicking the cancel button then in the render window (cause that cancel button is still there), asks if you want to save, click yes to that, and then nothing happens other than the render progress is still time counting and there's no way out except to quit daz studio?

Seen that from time to time since DS 4.8 and reported it but I guess the problem lies deep inside Iray. 

• N3p3nth3N3p3nth3 Posts: 129

Had an update to DIM, but can't comment to its effect since I'm holding on to Mojave and can't find a changelog.

• GenX3DxGenX3Dx Posts: 10

Is this a good place to ask a question about getting a GPU to use with my MacBook Pro and Daz Studio 64bit? 

I've seen alot of Nvidia GPU's out there, but there's no compatablilty with Mac's using Catalina.

Can I use an AMD GPU? If so, any recomendations?

Just want some fast processing time for HD Scenes.

Thanks!!

• GenX3Dx said:

Is this a good place to ask a question about getting a GPU to use with my MacBook Pro and Daz Studio 64bit? 

I've seen alot of Nvidia GPU's out there, but there's no compatablilty with Mac's using Catalina.

Thanks!!

Not for Iray - that reqires CUDA, which is available only through nVidia GPUs. An AMD GPU would help with dForce, which uses the cross-platform OpenCL

GenX3Dx said:

Thanks!!

Not for Iray - that reqires CUDA, which is available only through nVidia GPUs. An AMD GPU would help with dForce, which uses the cross-platform OpenCL

So I won't be able to use an AMD eGPU with for Daz3D on my MBP? 

As far as I know there isn't a driver or CUDA for OS Catalina.. correct? 

Thanks for the help.

GenX3Dx said:
    GenX3Dx said:

Thanks!!

So I won't be able to use an AMD eGPU with for Daz3D on my MBP? 

As far as I know there isn't a driver or CUDA for OS Catalina.. correct? 

Thanks for the help.

I believe that's correct. But you might also try posting in the Apple Support Communities, the OS portion, Catalina, at Apple.com

Would it work if I use BootCamp and  Windowssnd transferred my DS to Windows?

What if I used BootCamp with Windows and used DS on that. The driver would be for the Windows operating system correct? Would that work?